• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Minnesota Smash Presents : U of M Monthlies 4/10/2010

MurdaMoe

Smash Ace
Welcome to Minnesota!!

More than just

and

Yes, in addition to these amazing things, we also have quite the smash community. Come see for yourself at the 4th installment in the U of M series!

*****The Facts!*****

Where:In the TV room of Centennial Hall in the U of M (614 Delaware Street SE Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States) It's nice and roomy, so no real need to worry about it being cramped, as we can alwasy move setups into neighboring rooms. Please wear deodorant though. No one likes a stanky venue.
What:The games being played are SSBB and SSBM.
When:The venue will be open for friendlies at 10:00 am
Who:Them Super Nintendo Fighters, of course!
Why:Because MN has Paul Bunyon, Fargo, and the Mall of America.

*****The Schedule!*****

The schedule will be as follows:
12PM; SSBM Doubles
3 PM; SSBM Singles
Lunch Break
4 PM; SSBB Doubles
6 PM; SSBB Singles

LET ME BE PERFECTLY CLEAR ABOUT THIS
We will NOT hesitate to hand out DQs to people who want to take their sweet time eating their food. There is a buffet IN THE SAME BUILDING AS THE VENUE for 10$, so I don't want any johns. If you can't afford the 10$, there are a few people who will be there that I'm sure would be willing to sell you one of their guest passes to the buffet for a cheaper. There are also quite a few fast food joints within a few blocks of Centennial Hall. Again, you will be given a DQ if you hold up any event for any reason. If you are going to be late, please, for the love of Meta Knight, inform one of the TOs and hurry dem booty cheeks up.

*****The Cost!*****

Singles for SSBB will be $10
Singles for SSBM will be $5
Doubles for both games will be $10 per team
Payout for every event will be 60 30 10, unless third place would not make their money back, in which case, payout will be 60 40.

*****The Rules!*****

Super Smash Brothers: Brawl (singles and doubles)

* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser. The same applies for Ganondorf's side-b.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stage Lists

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium 1

Counter
Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise

Everything Else is banned.

Additional Rules for Doubles Play

* Life Stealing is allowed

* Set team attack to ON

Other Rules

* Port slob picks: On a player's counterpick, that player may opt to redo the port selection process with that player or team picking their port first.

* Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock, and then percents. If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock overttime. Bowser's suicide klaw and Ganondorf's suicide side-b is exempt from this rule.

* Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.

Melee Rules (Singles and Doubles)

4 stock, 8 minute timer
items off
sets best of 3 with finals sets best of 5

Set Format:
1. Players choose characters for first match
*double blind picks can be called for the first match or a set

2. first stage is picked by stage striking

3. After first match players announce bans for the set. Not before the first match.

4. Loser picks stage from neutrals/ counterpicks

5. Winner of previous match selects character

6. Loser of previous match selects charcater

7. Next match played out and steps 4 - 6 repeated for the rest of the set.

*Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.

*you may not pause the match yourself. You may request that your opponent pause the match for you but you're at their mercy. Pausing = you lose that match

*Stalling is banned. Stalling = avoiding conflict to make the game unplayable or the match unfinishable. If someone is stalling its the TO's call, get them over there...

General Rules
Items are set to off.
Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.

Additional Rules for Teams Play
Life Stealing is allowed
Set team attack to ON

Starter Stage List:

Singles

Starter Stage List:
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Teams

Starter Stage List:

Counter Stage List:

*****The Parking!*****

Ocho made this for parking purposes and stuff...

Centennial (the venue) is the gray building.

You can park for free on the street on Fulton in between Oak and Huron.

The green thing is the oak street ramp which isn't too far but its expensive.

The blue thing is a parking lot that would probably cost less than the oak street ramp. Its Contract parking but I think it might be public on weekends. I could be wrong though.

The yellow/ orange thing represents the hostpital parking ramp. Dont park there. If you do park there lie and say you were visiting the hospital but really you need a voucher otherwise they will charge you tons.

The purple thing is where fumps lives and I hear there is free parking around there... I don't know the details but I remember tempest said he parked for free there.

There are also mini parking lots to the south and east of centennial which have somewhat expensive meters. I dont know how often cops actually check the meters. They are free after 10 pm if you plan on staying late or something though.

There are also meters on Oak street I believe, which may be a bit more reasonable than the ones in the small parking lots.

We hope to see a lot of you there this month, as last months attendance was lacking. Despite the small turnout, it was still a blast. It's better with OoS cats though. Happy Smashing, Midwest :laugh:

resTy

Smash Champion
Do Melee players such as Aarosmashguy, Chexr and FluxWolf still exist in Minnesota or is it just a buncha Brawl scrubs now?

napZzz

Smash Hero
Do Melee players such as Aarosmashguy, Chexr and FluxWolf still exist in Minnesota or is it just a buncha Brawl scrubs now?
aaron exists, he just hasn't been as active in the tourney scene lately. I'm sure he'll come if he's informed of this. Chexr is on and off, and flux goes to everything! Our community is sort of half and half gamewise, and we have quite a few people who play both.
OMFG Hype!

Can't wait!
I agree with you for once.

HYPE!

also, can we not have melee first again? I thought we were going to be alternating the games.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Aaron works on weekend, all the time so the likely of him going to tournies is pretty slim.

Edit - Why is there no Dave's Stupid Rule? Such a limitation of stages for melee.

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
stages for melee are perf

it would be cool if IA/NE started coming to these and we started going to jokers monthly more.

everyone would improve so much rather than just playing the same ppl over and over

edit: HYPE!!1

napZzz

Smash Hero
its staying how it is

edit: HYPE!!!
might I ask why? melee going first hasn't produced very pleasing results. Besides I'm pretty sure you guys said you were just gonna switch off which game goes first -.-

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
Aaron works on weekend, all the time so the likely of him going to tournies is pretty slim.

Edit - Why is there no Dave's Stupid Rule? Such a limitation of stages for melee.
*you may not counterpick the last stage you won on in that set
-you can still pick stages you already won on though, provided that you won on a different stage afterwards.

^thats how I prefer the stage selection. (and how it is right now)

some people were whining a lot though, so maybe itll just be you cant CP any stage you won on. I dont care really since i wont get to a bo5 set and the difference is very slim anyways, but I think that my way is a little more fair. I'm open to change though if I can get some reasons or a consensus or something.

and yeah, I thought we said the schedule was tentative. Melee players, would you rather have it be first or last? brawl players? (i heard you already nappy)

And nice OP breezy. Great work!

and i could probably make a better parking thing than that ****ty thing i painted real quick too.

and yes, hype!

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
being able to cp brinstar multiple times in a set sounds pretty dumb LOL

also idk how they can move stadium to cp and still have those janky-*** stages like brinstar and cruise even on the list at all LOL

edit: nevermind stadium is still on neuts

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
niether option would let you go to brinstar twice because it is not a neutral, aka the first match should not have been played there.

the only way that could happen is if the fox took the jiggs there or somebody made a really ******** choice.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
I still say to just put Dave's Stupid Rule on the rule list, in both events cause being able to choose the same stage you won on before, in your set is pretty dumb, even if it is Best of 5. The only time you should be able to do it, is if both players agree upon it.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
I'll change it then (its in moe's post though). I don't think its dumb, but whatever.

more hype! less minor rule bickering!

and any chance youll be there disciple???

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
nvm this post

ocho, the rule doesn't need to be there

you have an advantage by winning the first match, the playing field shouldn't be even for stages because the first player already has an advantage

the only way the second player can win back the favor is by winning on the first players counterpick, which means the second player now controls the set AND could take game 5 back to something like rainbow road (if that's what game 2 was won on). If you can't win on 3 stages, too bad, learn the matchup. There's obviously at least 1 "neutral" that the opponent didn't want to go to that isn't banned (possibly 2) and there's at least one cp you should have in your back pocket in case one of the 2 "neutrals" you like is banned <_<.

allowing in either case the player that has control of the set to return to the stage where they first won not only increases the chance of them winning the set by allowing them to win 2/3 games on the same stage. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to win on 3 stages.

Plus, the thread you got this idea from ocho didn't go too well: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=264436

arguing that the winner of the first match doesn't have an advantage or is even at a slight disadvantage is straight foolish

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
I'm going to talk with the Smash group at Gustavus (GAC Assembly of Student Smashers), and we're gonna see how many of us will come up! Probably mostly Melee players.
nice!

and just in case you guys don't know about our website its http://z6.invisionfree.com/MNSmash/

its like a mini smashboards for just minnesota and its where we post most of the info for tournaments and smashfests and stuff. We barely use SWF in fact.

And just so you know, you can not view the website until after you made an account..

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
where's FoD?

someone take me to this
yeah, the melee stages are wrong. They should be the same as in this thread.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=257229

Singles

Starter Stage List:
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams

Counter Stage List:
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise

Teams

Starter Stage List:

Counter Stage List:
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise

Eci4

Smash Ace
I'm trying to make this, but I can't ask off for work (I'm asking off March 1st through 4th for training for another job) so...

But yeah, hopefully I'll be there

Top Bottom