• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mindgame is a verb, not a noun.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
People seem to use it as a noun a lot. "I need to work on my mindgames" "Omg he has good mindgames" "My mindgames suck"

Obviously, I believe in something different than all of you people, and so I'm going to try and make my case to you people.

The problem with using "mindgame" as a noun is that it's way too general. You could argue that using Jump to Bair is a mindgame. I mean, if it hits, right? Well what about just pressing "x" in order to shorthop, is that a mindgame? I would say you can use the game option "jump" in order TO mindgame someone. However X (Or whatever you use to jump) in and of itself should not be a mindgame.

In order to mindgame you need to have made them go, or made them think they can go into a state where you can hit them, or you could have just predicted what they were going to do. For example, if I were to bair someone's shield, and then they tried to grab me and failed and then I fsmashed. I mindgamed them. I baited the grab and punished.

Or like in my Mario vs Jiggz thing in another thread, I used Bair (To attack Jiggz' shield) and then Fsmashed when he jumped or grab, I hit him, he got mindgamed. FF Bair -> Fsmash by itself is not a mindgame, it will not work every time, it may get you hit (I don't think a mindgame is something that gets you hit...).

Another example is if I were to see a DDD running forward, and I, predicting that he'll spotdodge out of the dash, run up to him, wait, and then grab him when the spotdodge ends. Now, run up -> Wait -> Grab is not a mindgame, is it? But you can use it to mindgame your opponents.

Discuss away, I wanna see where this goes.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Thread hijack: Discuss how Arc has 3 posts left until he hits 1000.

jk. At least not in this thread.

I agree with your point of view, yet I still use it as a noun because it gets the point across that I need to learn how to play smarter (lol) Also, pivot grabs look cooler :p

But yeah, working on mindgames merely refers to learning how to better utilize the tools you have in order to mindgame someone, in my eyes. For example, I use short cancel mindgames more than I should, but instead should work on other mindgames such as those that come into play after my bair is shielded. Alternatively, I mindgame people with short cancel effectively, but need to work on mindgaming people after a shielded bair. If that makes sense, idk :dizzy:

Also, I just realized that "mindgame" looks like a funny word. Or at least to me >_>

:059:

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Well, of course. It's something those uber pros have that all the little nublets don't. Furthermore, it's what separates the two groups (as well as tech skill, etc, whatever). It's probably something everyone should start thinking about if they're not. Some of us are as bad as we are because we think "Let's just bair a lot, and stuff'll happen." You're not just bairing. Where you bair, when and how will affect the opponent reacts, which is what you're looking for, not for them to walk forward and say, "omg, you're so...bairful, I lose."

I don't know what more to say. lol

KRDsonic

Smash Master
If I can't say I used a mindgame on someone, then I guess I'll just tell them I used a roasted turkey on them :/

So with that said... crouching when your opponent is falling from above you is a pretty good roasted turkey. I don't think I know anyone else that does that other than me, but it seems to work since they don't seem to expect an upsmash out of a crouch. I prefer it more with Jiggs and Sheik though, since it makes them harder to hit because of their low crouch... so I suppose it's more of just using physics to my advantage than roasting my opponent's turkey :/

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Arc is single handedly becoming the best troll on wolf forums. Vista watch out. You have competition.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
I was responding to KRD. My point being he can still technically use a phrase similar to that without using turkeys, or being ridiculous.

I must obviously be ********, what do you guys define as "a mindgame"? Is jump -> Bair a mindgame? WHat about just pressing X to jump?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
"Mindgame" is a word used by people who can't find a more educated way to explain the "mindgame" they're refering to. It's usually a reference to baiting and or reading an opponent.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
Well if mindgames are a umbrella term for reading and baiting, then I guess I need to master baiting to get better.

P.S. I have been waiting for so long to use that.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
this is one stupid thread. arc point. jump -> and bairing can be a mindgame with the addition of other variables such as conditioning the opponent and so forth. Just as when someone is baiting there needs to be bait in the first place. Mindgame can be used as both a verb and a noun; as stated by Yoshara the term mindgame is an umbrella term for reading baiting conditioning etc. In fact mindgaming being a verb comes about simple due the to fact that mindgame as a noun existed first. mindgaming is the act of performing a mindgame. Just as word dance and dancing. In all honestly i dont even know why this thread exist if you want to battle linguistic iniquity find a term more important. This is a moot point.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
I'm asking you to explain what a mindgame is, and all you can tell me is mindgaming?

Anyway, the point to this thread is that people often use the word "mindgame" as a noun, as something that is tangible, as if you could quantify the number of mindgames you have. This is what I disagree with, you cannot possibly quantify mindgames. People say "I'mma go practice my mindgames!"
Well, to that I say I'm gonna practice my computers. I'm also going to practice my controllers. As well, I'm going to practice my inputs.

Also Syon, you say that jump -> Bair can be a mindgame, under what conditions? As long as the person's been conditioned? What if he hasn't been conditioned and he just released his shield because he thought it was safe. Is it still a mindgame? According to you it shouldn't be, which I disagree with.

Alright, so mindgaming according to you is performing a mindgame....you have yet to clarify to me what a mindgame is. As in your dancing example, "dancing is the act of performing a dance" does not tell me what dancing is, or what a dance is.

Top Bottom