• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mind Game Potential?

kunai_abuser

Smash Journeyman
NOTE- I know all characters can do this, but Ike seemed to be the easiest to pull it off with, plus I don't feel its a general discussion, this was supposed to be how Ike can benefit.

So as you may or may not know, you can initiate an attack as your landing and the attack will cancel before a hitbox comes out, but you suffer little or no lag. And then afterwards when you land you can move around and stuff as per usual. Well I was playing Ike this morning and I was hit and used this a cancelled dair negate knockback as I fell toward the ground. Directly after landing the cancelled dair I immediately dashed forward and dash attacked.

Curious, I went to training mode to play around. I found that uair nair (thanks berserker cross) is a much better move when you are intentionally trying to make the cancel happen. Essentially, I think (but being a noob I wouldnt know for sure) that this tactic is superior to simply landing because it puts you into standing position, which allows you to act immediately, no sliding animations included. I tried a few things but basically found that this is all pretty useless. It is essentially just landing and doing the same actions, maybe it saves like a frame or two, maybe it doesnt, either way it can't be too major. The only real use I found for it is out of being hit, where you cancel the aerial and momentum, and can immediately dash, so that might throw off some opponents.

I apologize for using the term "mindgames", that was a horrible definition of what this was, its simply a useless little thing you can do in the game that may have some, albeit very little, use.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Uh...... Mindgames....? Yeah, not so much.... It's just that they're safe moves since there's no lag when you land... >_>

Palpi

Smash Hero
I mean. I have Fast fall a fair before too quickly and didn't swing and grab because my opponent shielded, but it really isn't that useful.

Berserker_Cross

Smash Apprentice
I just wanted to say that pretty much any character can do this. In Ike's case it's easier to see it with Nair. I too have experimented with this. Uair works, not as well as Nair but it's still effective if you have decent button control or you'll end up doing a jump cancelled up smash.

Top Bottom