• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midnight Ops Mafia: Game Thread. Game Over!

Chaco

Never Logs In
chaco explain this plz
D3 MYLO based on numbers if two MLs occur. Clear as many town 100% as we can beforehand.

cause I don’t feel Boom is gonna flip scum at all, and it seems like a mafia spearhead Lynch

Trisscar

Smash Ace
No seriously.

If you're that worried about a roleblock killing your claim due to seeming inactivity, we just need the voyeur on you instead and for you to claim your target.

Chaco

Never Logs In
No lynch pushes it to D4, starting D2 with 12 instead of 11, and cleared roles. Simple math.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Gah I thought you were confirm-able tonight. If you both are scum leaving you alive for that long is a terrible idea. Thats N3, which would allow scum you to probably push 2 mislynches and get two night kills, probably gunning for the people that could confirm you on Night 2. I remember last game by day 3 everyone was already totally believing in you.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Uhhh.... what does that have to do with anything mate?
1. I was responding to Mala, not you.
2. It means that directing the tracker and the voyeur to target me Tonight is unbelievable stupid, because I'll just get roleblocked and it won't even confirm me as town because the roleblocked can use a ninja shot. And, even if they don't use a ninja shot, it still confirm me as town, because the scum!roleblocker can target other scum.

Here's how this is going to work. I am going to announce who I'm going to target tonight. I'm thinking it will probably be Trisscar, assuming we don't yeet her, because she might be mafia, because her readslist isn't a readslist, it's a summary of what has happened so far in the game. The tracker and voyeur can then decide what they want to do. The end.

We are also not yeeting Xivii today, because doing so would indicate a basic misunderstanding of the mechanics of this setup.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I feel like Xivii has an early feeler out D1 about Choc, or maybe it was in response to mechanics talks with Triss or Fonti. Idk, but I remember seeing that somewhere and don’t really wanna look back right this second cause I am ridiculously hung over.
I feel this on a deep, deep level

looks like maybe darkpit found it for you though?

This could be true; I hadn't thought of that before

This reads interestingly post claim lmao.
very good catch, why the deliberate anti-breadcrumb here Xiivi?

Simply forgot to answer. Chocolate is like miller in this game. My original game plan was to draw the night kill, hence my overplaying my townie strat.
Scum Zen is also very smart, if he claims early, he has good confidence in making it due to other knowledge, or he has a good fake claim idea, like how in sumthing sumthing mafia.

So while I believe this is town Zen, it’s worth a re look down the line if we aren’t doing good.
really solid take here, xiivi's claim here is that his early game "power towning" was meant to draw a bullet as town choco, however I think this is equally explained as a set up strat to fakeclaim choco as a scum PR. His preoccupation with directing the neap comes off far more suss with this claim imo

Think about the chocolate claim. When I brought up Xivii agreed, and said "visitor should claim too". Why would chocolate xivii not claim at that time. By the time he claimed it was pretty clear no one was going to claim, and it was safe to go for it. It's a bold play, but xivii is bold and if it works they are "confirmed town" for the whole game. The payoff was worth it and the risk was low.
Very clean analysis right here, given how the claims played out he had a clear flag planted to pivot and claim choc as a scum PR at that point if that was a plan he was trying to set up earlier thru power towning as he claimed he was doing to draw a bullet as choc

BoomFrog yeet just doesn’t seem informed to me
this is probably the most concise way to explain why I townread that slot

so deadline is insanely close and we're coming off a holiday so I have no idea what to expect in these last few hours. overall I feel ever better about the darkpit triss and boom slots, worse about the somi and xiivi slots. very little movement on everyone else except fonti who I just dont think is a play until we get a chance to confirm the slot and feel comfortable enough with the slot to just treat as confirmed town for now anyway

trying to lynch boom right now, especially a push so sudden and late in the day from xiivi, feels helllllla grime and I think every townie in this game should realize that boom is not going to be a liability and is a really, really dumb D1 play at this point given the other far more lackluster slots in the game rn

somitomi to me feels more and more like a great slot to yeet at this point, like frankly I think given the number of replacements we've had to deal with this day phase we've generated a lot to work with and so yeeting a low impact slot is a low risk, still beneficial move that gets us to D2 with some possible night info to bounce around and of course the benefit of the flips. I know this is low effort af but as mentioned above I'm hungover and exhausted from last night and still have work to get done to prep for tomorrow morning so I guess Im just at a place rn where I feel comfortable taking a low risk option right now and setting ourselves up for a really productive D2 with less deadweight at worst, with a lurker scum down at best

I'll do my best to keep eyes on the thread if we're trying to make some last minute moves but ultimately I dont think a crazy push for slots like xiivi/boom is at all prudent, just not worth the risk at this point to kneejerk off highly contributing slots when we aren't in a precarious position at all

Malakandra

Smash Lord
....What if maf gets lucky or figures out one of the masons though?
thats the worry. If Maf gets lucky, it screws the confirm ability on Fonti for us, and by then we will be in a bad spot, similar to last game.

Jackrito

Smash Ace
Vote BoomFrog

Mostly just trusting Xivii and fonti. Z25 or somi slots are also fine with me. I have limited availability today... Probably just quick posts on phone now and then.

UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin could we get a VC?
Why are you trusting others view on Boom when you know him better then them, as you have shown in the other games I played with you.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Gah I thought you were confirm-able tonight. If you both are scum leaving you alive for that long is a terrible idea. Thats N3, which would allow scum you to probably push 2 mislynches and get two night kills, probably gunning for the people that could confirm you on Night 2. I remember last game by day 3 everyone was already totally believing in you.
Ok.

Listen to me.

If the mafia shoot the tracker and voyeur before they can confirm me, that means they are not shooting the Neapolitan. That means, the Neapolitan is getting clears, which can be used to solve the game instead of clearing me. Further, there are literally two roles that can confirm me, and mafia will only have two shots over the course of n1 and n2, so it's pretty ****ing likely that they're going to be able to check me.

Further, I am just not mafia, because fake claiming visitor as mafia on Day 1 gets me caught 95% of the time. Do you understand?

fontisian

Smash Champion
We can't yeet somitomi, because they're not here to claim, and literally the worst thing we can do here is yeet a pr. I 100% prefer killing a vt to taking even a 10% risk of killing a pr. And I also 100% prefer killing a vt to no yeeting.

Trisscar

Smash Ace
Fontisian.

Stop panicking. We have three hours. Take a deep breath, and calm down a little.

Jackrito

Smash Ace
This sucks. Voting for Xivii is out because he should be somewhat confirmable, atleast a lot more trust worthy, if Fonti is confirmed. It'd be dumb to lynch someone who has a clear method of earning trust day 1. Somi is also out because, well they are out literally. Don't want to accidentally lynch a PR because the replacement isn't here yet. That leaves me with Jack, and Z. Atleast Z might post a readlist soon and is active. I haven't seen hide nor hair of Jack in forever. Boom is eh, I can't get a good read on him but I think it would give us some more info about Xivii and a few others. Trying to look at the situation if I believe Fonti and Xivii, I can see a scum boom. I think Jackrito is more likely to be scum here overall though, would like to hear more from him first.

Jackrito Jackrito do you have any thoughts on the present situation? We are close to EoD here.
Why do you think I am scum again? I'm also not voting Boom today because his thing today about Xivii pushing him and will lynch him when inactive hits very hard to home with how you all dealt with me last game because you are all sheep who follow anyone who can appear town like Xivii has shown he can.

To add to my last point which I said to Laser if you think Boom is scum do it for your own reasons don't follow Fonti and Xivii who have both shown they can trick you and can powerwolf this is bad town play. On the flip though it is scummy because you are trying to dodge responablity if it is a mislynch by saying it is their fault.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
What.

No he couldn't, he literally could not know, that is my point.
How could he not have a chance of knowing?

It may be a town based trait but unless I’m wrong, nothing really ruled out that he couldn’t have taken that chance.

Those roles may be in the OP buts it not unheard of a host giving some info to scum.

Regardless that doesn’t really matter if he definitely knew or not. It’s not crazy to think that Zen realized Boom was right and if there was no claim before his, then he could have claimed the role.

Let’s say hypothetically he is lying, the only possible options are somi or NSG, and then maybe jack.

They have been the least active these recent few pages. Zen could have figured out one of them was it and by the time they got back to the game, the real chocolate player wouldn’t have as much sway, since Zen would be believed first. That’s a free mislynch for scum even if it sets up for Zen to fall. He’s good enough to leave a mate in a good position to win though.

So unless I’m missing something, it’s not entirely impossible that something allowed Zen to take that claim despite the risk.

If it’s not scum zen, then Boom is a good person to look at next.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Vote Count 1.06

[3] BoomFrog: Xivii, Fontisian, LaserGuy
[2] LaserGuy: NonSpecificGuy, Jackrito
[2] Xivii: BoomFrog, Chaco
[1] Somitomi: #HBC | FrozenFlame

Not voting: Z25, Trisscar, Darkpit54, Somitomi, Malakandra

With 13 alive, it takes 7 to hammer.

Day 1 ends on July 5th at 8 PM EST.

Searching for a replacement for somitomi somitomi .

Last edited:

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Ok.

Listen to me.

If the mafia shoot the tracker and voyeur before they can confirm me, that means they are not shooting the Neapolitan. That means, the Neapolitan is getting clears, which can be used to solve the game instead of clearing me. Further, there are literally two roles that can confirm me, and mafia will only have two shots over the course of n1 and n2, so it's pretty ****ing likely that they're going to be able to check me.

Further, I am just not mafia, because fake claiming visitor as mafia on Day 1 gets me caught 95% of the time. Do you understand?
Isn't the voyeur the only one that can true confirm you? I'd also like to hear other people opinion on the logic in this post. As before I'm far from an expert on how actions interact and the optimal role scenario.

I think the last part could be a pretty confident fake claim based on Ninja shots, and is WIFOM.

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
Why are you trusting others view on Boom when you know him better then them, as you have shown in the other games I played with you.
None of my preferred wagons are particularly viable right now. I have Boom at nullscum which is votable and I have both Xivii and fonti at strong Town.

fontisian

Smash Champion
How could he not have a chance of knowing?

It may be a town based trait but unless I’m wrong, nothing really ruled out that he couldn’t have taken that chance.

Those roles may be in the OP buts it not unheard of a host giving some info to scum.

Regardless that doesn’t really matter if he definitely knew or not. It’s not crazy to think that Zen realized Boom was right and if there was no claim before his, then he could have claimed the role.

Let’s say hypothetically he is lying, the only possible options are somi or NSG, and then maybe jack.

They have been the least active these recent few pages. Zen could have figured out one of them was it and by the time they got back to the game, the real chocolate player wouldn’t have as much sway, since Zen would be believed first. That’s a free mislynch for scum even if it sets up for Zen to fall. He’s good enough to leave a mate in a good position to win though.

So unless I’m missing something, it’s not entirely impossible that something allowed Zen to take that claim despite the risk.

If it’s not scum zen, then Boom is a good person to look at next.
Ok, here's the problem. More than half the game had not claimed to be not chocolate before Xivii claimed, me among them. Mechanically, a scum!Xivii could not know chocolate was not in the game, for reasons I have already outlined but would be happy to go into again. Again, realistically, if scum!Xivii somehow knew chocolate wasn't in the game (he couldn't have known, but I'd indulge this idea for a little bit), wouldn't he have fakeclaimed it right away, instead of dropping hints that he was in fact not chocolate? If he was scum and knew he could safely claimed chocolate, he would have been preparing that claim from the beginning of the game, just like he did with the mason claim in Sumting.

Now let's say scum!Xivii fakeclaims chocolate, and then another person counterclaims him. I think there would be good odds we'd yeet Xivii, considering that several people are now voting him without a counterclaim. And even if we yeeted the real chocolate, we'd still kill Xivii the next Day, it would be a net loss for him.

It's is not 100% impossible for Xivii to be scum. It is just extremely unlikely because of his claim, and frankly I think his behavior has been super town anyway, so what are we doing here?

Trisscar

Smash Ace
I'm not panicking, I'm just very, very frustrated.
Fair enough. Please take a deep breath regardless though.

1. I was responding to Mala, not you.
2. It means that directing the tracker and the voyeur to target me Tonight is unbelievable stupid, because I'll just get roleblocked and it won't even confirm me as town because the roleblocked can use a ninja shot. And, even if they don't use a ninja shot, it still confirm me as town, because the scum!roleblocker can target other scum.

Here's how this is going to work. I am going to announce who I'm going to target tonight. I'm thinking it will probably be Trisscar, assuming we don't yeet her, because she might be mafia, because her readslist isn't a readslist, it's a summary of what has happened so far in the game. The tracker and voyeur can then decide what they want to do. The end.

We are also not yeeting Xivii today, because doing so would indicate a basic misunderstanding of the mechanics of this setup.
I honestly don't know why I'm the target out of all possible options, but ok? Also right, ninja shots, blech.
mmm...

fontisian

Smash Champion
Isn't the voyeur the only one that can true confirm you? I'd also like to hear other people opinion on the logic in this post. As before I'm far from an expert on how actions interact and the optimal role scenario.

I think the last part could be a pretty confident fake claim based on Ninja shots, and is WIFOM.
If we kill the rolecop, the tracker can also track me to confirm me.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Why do you think I am scum again? I'm also not voting Boom today because his thing today about Xivii pushing him and will lynch him when inactive hits very hard to home with how you all dealt with me last game because you are all sheep who follow anyone who can appear town like Xivii has shown he can.

To add to my last point which I said to Laser if you think Boom is scum do it for your own reasons don't follow Fonti and Xivii who have both shown they can trick you and can powerwolf this is bad town play. On the flip though it is scummy because you are trying to dodge responablity if it is a mislynch by saying it is their fault.
You haven't done anything townie at all, nor had much of an impact, you seem to be coasting. Your push on Triss I felt was disingenuous and you never addressed the points I made about that, instead disappearing. My main two scum leans at the time of that post it seemed stupid for me to push to lynch them that day.

I was only bringing up that point of view because at the time I thought Fonti was going to be able to be mechanically cleared tonight.

Chaco

Never Logs In
wtf I'm pretty sure I got ninja'd by the entirety of page 18 when I was writing my post, Chaco Chaco what is this about a blunder from xiivi?
Look at how he’s reacting and trying to paint me as scummy by reading the set up. Trying to keep tracker off of Fonti. Spearheading Boom.
It’s all grimy as hell.

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
We can't yeet somitomi, because they're not here to claim, and literally the worst thing we can do here is yeet a pr. I 100% prefer killing a vt to taking even a 10% risk of killing a pr. And I also 100% prefer killing a vt to no yeeting.
I'll accept this, but it leaves very few options left. I think currently I'd lean toward a Jack lynch, as he seems the scummiest of the semi-active slots, and has had some odd reactions we might learn from post-flip. What do you guys think though?

fontisian

Smash Champion
I feel this on a deep, deep level

looks like maybe darkpit found it for you though?

very good catch, why the deliberate anti-breadcrumb here Xiivi?

really solid take here, xiivi's claim here is that his early game "power towning" was meant to draw a bullet as town choco, however I think this is equally explained as a set up strat to fakeclaim choco as a scum PR. His preoccupation with directing the neap comes off far more suss with this claim imo

Very clean analysis right here, given how the claims played out he had a clear flag planted to pivot and claim choc as a scum PR at that point if that was a plan he was trying to set up earlier thru power towning as he claimed he was doing to draw a bullet as choc

this is probably the most concise way to explain why I townread that slot

so deadline is insanely close and we're coming off a holiday so I have no idea what to expect in these last few hours. overall I feel ever better about the darkpit triss and boom slots, worse about the somi and xiivi slots. very little movement on everyone else except fonti who I just dont think is a play until we get a chance to confirm the slot and feel comfortable enough with the slot to just treat as confirmed town for now anyway

trying to lynch boom right now, especially a push so sudden and late in the day from xiivi, feels helllllla grime and I think every townie in this game should realize that boom is not going to be a liability and is a really, really dumb D1 play at this point given the other far more lackluster slots in the game rn

somitomi to me feels more and more like a great slot to yeet at this point, like frankly I think given the number of replacements we've had to deal with this day phase we've generated a lot to work with and so yeeting a low impact slot is a low risk, still beneficial move that gets us to D2 with some possible night info to bounce around and of course the benefit of the flips. I know this is low effort af but as mentioned above I'm hungover and exhausted from last night and still have work to get done to prep for tomorrow morning so I guess Im just at a place rn where I feel comfortable taking a low risk option right now and setting ourselves up for a really productive D2 with less deadweight at worst, with a lurker scum down at best

I'll do my best to keep eyes on the thread if we're trying to make some last minute moves but ultimately I dont think a crazy push for slots like xiivi/boom is at all prudent, just not worth the risk at this point to kneejerk off highly contributing slots when we aren't in a precarious position at all
I want to kill this. Frozen is saying "very good catch," "really solid take here," and "very clean analysis," about terrible takes. He's apparently very experienced, and should probably know better. It's also just way to positive, this feels like scum egging on town to kill town.

Vote: FrozenFlame

Malakandra

Smash Lord
If we kill the rolecop, the tracker can also track me to confirm me.
True, unlikely, a bit more unlikely than scum killing the voyeur I feel, but true. I'm still waiting for Xivii to explain how you are cleared just for claiming.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Here's why spending time trying to confirm Fonti is a waste of time:

1 Because who cares. She's town anyway.
2 If she is scum, she just kills the player she targets.
3 If she's town, she can be roleblocked tonight.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I’d rather No Lynch than wagon an inactive slot., as explained why previously.

Xivii Lynch gives us all the connections and motivations in the world. Other slots literally give us nothing. Boom TownFlip once again leads back to Xiivi. But I’d rather stay off the easy lynches that really doesn’t help town as a whole and just lessens the overall pool.

Trisscar

Smash Ace
Here's why spending time trying to confirm Fonti is a waste of time:

1 Because who cares. She's town anyway.
2 If she is scum, she just kills the player she targets.
3 If she's town, she can be roleblocked tonight.
....Yeah pretty much this except not as convinced about 1. If scum she either rb's or kills a target, and unless both are on the same player (which seems inefficient) the roleblocked can I think say so? Seem to remember that the roleblocked player is notified anyway...

Top Bottom