• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midnight Ops Mafia: Game Thread. Game Over!

Chaco

Never Logs In
GGs guys. Yeah the craziness made this game much harder than it needed to be at times, but it all worked out in the end. Definitely NOT the ideal game to get broken back in on.

GGs scum. Y’all played really well, definitely hard to figure out some things in you guys.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
GG, ‘twas quote the game for me to replace into. Lol, sorry for any confusion on my part but I genuinely aimed to prove my townieness by not even thinking much before posting, that was until I went back and reread. Also was pretty fun Chaco Chaco toninteract back and forth here. Glad I was right on my read of your slot.

Also GG to LaserGuy LaserGuy and Malakandra Malakandra you both played well given no traitor and losing a teammate day one.

You’ve both had some good points this game and played to very different but strong styles.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Yeah man, you’re tone is a lot like mine so it’s kindve hard to read against that lol.

I kindve came up late game lol. Beginning of game was rough for me readjusting

Chaco

Never Logs In
Mala you did bomb as scum though, but the only thing that pinged me hard on you was that you seemed disingenuous in some angled posts. Pour on the AtE homie and you would’ve been insane to read

Chaco

Never Logs In
Glad you enjoyed it, but why’s that?
Not your set up at all, lol. I was more so saying towards Ex and Xivii’s gambits lol I was already questioning my reads enough and it made it so much harder. Hence my insanely deep tunnel on Xiv

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Your reads were pretty good to me. It was funny that we kept going back and forth on each other, I'm glad we came to see eye to eye in the end.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Oh yeah 3DSNinja 3DSNinja i hope you get a chance to read the game. Or at least my posts in your slot. I wasn’t exactly town read the whole game but as you can see I lived to endgame because I kept activity up while trying to contribute even if my answers weren’t always the best.

I also used your past games to justify your slot as town this game. Something I hope you can use in future games as you get more practice. Hopefully we see you in a game again!

Chaco

Never Logs In
Your reads were pretty good to me. It was funny that we kept going back and forth on each other, I'm glad we came to see eye to eye in the end.
Yeah your confirmation was what gift wrapped it nicely for us lol

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Mala you did bomb as scum though, but the only thing that pinged me hard on you was that you seemed disingenuous in some angled posts. Pour on the AtE homie and you would’ve been insane to read
Thanks! Whats AtE though lol.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Everyone in this game besides me should be blacklisted from future games for improper usage of the hammer image
Forgive us master Rajam. But, did you notice that after the hammer image was sent by you only scum were hammered? Perhaps you unleashed the power by giving town the hammer of justice and their strikes struck true because of it.

@MODS please ban hammer image in rules of any future games. Is way too OP.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Also mad props to Jackritos replacement for getting lynched asap and giving us the gift of the hammering image
Really though you were great too. I didn't think you were scum once you caught up and I read your posts, but when you started pushing for Z near the end I felt yeeting you would be the better option, especially because it would force Mala to come out from behind his 90% Rajam read. I did think Laser was the optimal yeet though, but yeeting someone before they have a proper chance to speak for themselves is a major pet peeve of mine.

Speaking of, LaserGuy LaserGuy not yeeting you wasn't simply because you weren't here at the time of the deadline. There were three factors involved: 1) you had not yet been wagoned so had not yet had a chance to speak in your defense and had no reason to expect to be yeeted, 2) there was at least one other scum member for us to find, so it was reasonable to yeet elsewhere, and 3) your unavailability was pre-established. Had any one of those not been true, then I would have felt fine yeeting you.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
also ****ing GG town, proud of y'all, this was a game I regretted not signing up as replacement instead.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Mad props to Jackrito Jackrito for confidently pinning down two scum d1 while barely even being involved. And ranmaru ranmaru with those game winning spec reads.
It's always when I fricking don't state that they are game winning is when they are :hulk:

Last edited:

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
GG Town!

This is definitely one of the toughest Towns I've ever had to play against as mafia. Everyone was extremely solid. Too many people were playing very townie, Town had great leadership from Xivii and Fonti and it was just really difficult to get any traction anywhere. Even with all of the curve balls thrown at you, we had to work very hard for every yeet.

I'll do full shot out some time later, but will give a quick thanks to Malakandra for playing a really strong game and working so hard to carry the team as well as you did. I really wish I could have brought more to the table this game to help you out, but I think you have the makings of a really extraordinary player either as Town or as scum.

Last edited:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I think this also goes to show that, too much immersion and too much confidence can lead us astray. It's easier to see the big picture if you stand back a bit, and observe from there. I know this is ironic coming from me, my abundance of confidence is a problem, and I still can't really fix it even if I try, because I still come off over-confident. This is why in the future I'll likely consider doing the lurk playstyle. Maybe something similar to what Fonti did.

Last edited:

Malakandra

Smash Lord
GG Town!

This is definitely one of the toughest Towns I've ever had to play against as mafia. Everyone was extremely solid. Too many people were playing very townie, Town had great leadership from Xivii and Fonti and it was just really difficult to get any traction anywhere. Even with all of the curve balls thrown at you, we had to work very hard very every yeet.

I'll do full shot out some time later, but will give a quick thanks to Malakandra for playing a really strong game and working so hard to carry the team as well as you did. I really wish I could have brought more to the table this game to help you out, but I think you have the makings of a really extraordinary player either as Town or as scum.
You were the real carry man. You always had a smart plan to keep us moving forward, and did like all the PR hunting for us that we needed to stay in the game. It was a really fun time playing with you, and I look forward to ending up on the same team with you in the future. But if we're ever in a game and the PR's start dropping, I'm looking to you lol.

Same with you FF! We didn't get to interact much, since I replaced in halfway through the day, but I hope to be able to be on the same team with you in the future sometime too!

Malakandra

Smash Lord
also ****ing GG town, proud of y'all, this was a game I regretted not signing up as replacement instead.
It was a really crazy game, always felt close and like a great fight between the forces of good and evil. Town did amazing, sticking together and working the game out logically while dropping towntells left and right.

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
Shout outs!

1. Z25 - You did a great job saving the 3DS slot. As someone who has replaced into bad slots before I always really appreciate seeing people putting in the effort to play a really solid game from a bad start, and you delivered that very well and made good decisions at critical times and did a good job of avoiding our efforts to yeet you.
2. Rajam - I thought you did a really admirable job of saving the Jackrito slot. I think we were actually really lucky that we were able to yeet your slot at all. Personally, I felt that your catch up was, if anything, too detailed for what you needed to do (too much time far back in the thread, lots of giant walls) and it made a lot of your interactions in the present feel very strange, which may have contributed to your demise.
3. Trisscar - You played a very solid game and were never really under any suspicion. Be careful playing too passively as a PR though... I picked you out as a likely PR very early in D1.
4. Fontisian - In both of the games I've seen you play, you have really impressed me. Your reads this game were so good and your ability to build cases and drive votes is very strong, it's very difficult to deal with you as mafia. I would love to play with you as Town sometime as I think you were probably right in D1 that we would have worked well together. But I'd rather avoid ever having to play mafia against you again :)
5. #HBC | FrozeηFlame - Sorry we weren't able to save you D1. We had some bad luck with timing, but fonti's case was also just devastating.
6. Chaco - You played a solid game and did a very good job keeping the strong townie vibes. Nothing I threw at you ever seemed to stick... it was very annoying :p
7. ExLight - That traitor hammer claim may be one of the most surprising twists I have ever seen. I wish I had been able to capitalize more on it but you were just townie enough and I was definitely scummy enough that you were able to get away with it. I will be asking for a pinkie swear from you that you are not mafia in every game we play from now on and will relentlessly tunnel you otherwise, btw.
8. Darkpit54 - You were so pure and townie this game that you were practically a PR, but you also had some really good insights and did an excellent job of holding Town together in the endgame.
9. Malakandra - Still really amazes me that this is your first game ever playing scum. Your posts were tight, you never slipped. You were engaged and townie enough that against a lot of weaker Towns I think you would easily have taken this one to the end. As I said to Rajam and z25, I have a special place in my heart for really good replacements because I've seen some truly dreadful ones--especially in scum slots!--and you really put in a first class effort. Hopefully we get to play again together sometime.
10. BoomFrog - I feel like time pressures and Xivii paranoia may have gotten the better of you this time around. I think like me, you are still trying to figure out how to deal with the absurd number of posts these games generate and make it work with the game we would like to play.
11. Xivii - You have such an impressive Town game and some of the microscopic tells that you are able to pick up are really incredible. I genuinely thought there was a good chance that you were going to yeet me early D1, and am not surprised that you ultimately managed to solve the game. I always enjoy playing with you, regardless of our respective alignments.

13. NonSpecificGuy - Sorry we shot you N1. I would have loved let you stay around longer to give you more chance to play, but we really needed to get rid of the Neo, so what could we do?
14. 3DSNinja - I hope you're able to figure something out for your future games now that you have a bit more time. Don't worry so much about when you get yeeted/NKed. It happens. Do what you can to help your team win and you'll be fine.
15. Jackrito - Sorry you had to replace out. In the limited time you had, your reads were very sharp and I think you would have been yet another dangerous townie had you stayed in.
16. Somitomi - It was good to play with you again. Hopefully you're able to join in again sometime.
17. Raxxel - Hope you're feeling better!

Chaco

Never Logs In
Thanks! Whats AtE though lol.
Appeal to Emption. Like you took a stance on Xivii like Boom and I did, and for so long I struggled with it because it didn’t show frustration or anger or the right kind of inflection. I wondered at first if you were just devoid of typing with inflection then. Noticed you post with excitement a few times, and it just evolved until it was a major scum tell. But much to Xiv’s credit, the two major scum tells this game that I was feeling care about when he named them. Your lack of emotion, and Laser’s caliber of play seeming lesser here.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I’m gonna steak the Laser format here since I’m on ze phone.

1. Z25 - I really enjoyed having you in the game as it progressed you have a very in your face your of style, much like myself, and I think that’s what made it difficult for me to read correctly like I said. Definitely look forward to playing with you more, and would love to roll scum with you.
2. Rajam - I’m sorry I couldn’t save you Rajam! I was trying to abolish the case against you, but I was doubting my reads to heavily after being wrong about Boom and Frozen. You started slow and got dang near amazing before you’re Lynch, I definitely should not have set back and allowed consensus to sway what I believed what was wrong.
3. Trisscar - Mate: Forreal though I dig the post style. Where are you from in the world? You played a solid game, and never would’ve paired you with Xiv as a Mason. I thought it was you and DP from D1, your activity and such was kind’ve telling like Laser mentioned, which is why I started to wonder about your slot in later day phases.
4. Fontisian - Nailing FF was just damn near impressive out of the minuscule things that you were able to ping him on. It literally shook me. You did a fantastic job of assuming the role of town leader and being the tempo of towns pursuits.
5. #HBC | FrozeηFlame - It must suck being you and playing Mafia. Lol. Literally I don’t think I saw you live past D2 in like so many games in the 2010 era. You’re presence in a game is always enjoyable and you are basically one of the strongest slots I’ve ever played against.
6. LaserGuy - You did an excellent job of playing town like this game, I think what ultimately made it harder for you though is that everyone was simply town at their core, so misdirection and little basis pushes just did not sway town in the slightest. I think had you a different town to play against, you would’ve snowed them and they likely would’ve followed your lead. You make pretty posts and they incite people to follow you lol.
7. ExLight - You claiming traitor with the “hammer” was absolutely hilarious. I opened the game and saw all those new posts while at work and was like Wtfffff. You played almost devils advocate this game with your reads, and seemed to go against the eb and flow a lot. A lot of your ideas are correct but you just gotta back em with your reads, you’re definitely on the up and up though.
8. Darkpit54 - PoE town homie. You played a perfect vanilla townie. There’s literally nothing else to say. You made your alignment clear, it was questionable if you were a PR. Your vote was always where it needed to be, and you were always helpful and insightful. Look forward to playing more with you.
9. Malakandra - Congrats Mala, you’re about to develop a scum stigma about you. You are one of those that is going to have an insanely good town and scum Arsenal. With this being your first forum mafia, I’m literally stunned. Like I told yo before, work on creating fake emotion, but not overly, with your fake stances and you’re gonna do insane. Or just play like there’s two scum factions and you’re hunting the other lol so your scumhunting feels like it’s coming from the heart. You played a super impressive game though.
10. BoomFrog - You are a player that I think I really will jive with moving forwards. I think Xiv got the better of you this game like he almost did of me, but he definitely turned it around late game so we will accept it, lol. The funniest thing this game was you saying FF dragging his goober all over you. I literally lol’d.
11. Xivii - You were very hard to determine motive from. You basically locked me up from D1 til D3 because I was doubting so heavily and I kept wanting to come back to you because it all felt so wrong. Like I said, your claim gift wrapped it for us and we could move forward. You had some excellent reads and definitely paved the way for the reads I had late game. As much as I don’t agree with gambits always, you played it well, and I definitely know to take you with a grain of salt moving forwards lol
12. NonSpecificGuy - I think it goes without saying that you learned a very valuable lesson while playing a town PR lol the fact laser got you that fast though was insane, it truly speaks to his ability. But definitely just play as you would a powerless role, and don’t elude your anything unless it’s something insanely cryptic. Soft claiming is not always a good thing, but can be helpful. It truly depends on the type of role. But I think this experience will definitely help shape your PR play.

Trisscar

Smash Ace
Trisscar - Mate: Forreal though I dig the post style. Where are you from in the world? You played a solid game, and never would’ve paired you with Xiv as a Mason. I thought it was you and DP from D1, your activity and such was kind’ve telling like Laser mentioned, which is why I started to wonder about your slot in later day phases.
California, with Heinz 57 European heritage and a love for accents and how words sound.

What you mean my consistent "Xivii has plannnnzzz" wasn't enough of a crumb? ;)

A lot of my thoughts that were in the form of words ended up in the mason chat tbh. I kept getting distracted by aggressive play from people and wasn't reading Mala or Laser as scum at all. At some point i need to learn how to turn off my moderator parsing while keeping my logic processes on. XD

Chaco

Never Logs In
California, with Heinz 57 European heritage and a love for accents and how words sound.

What you mean my consistent "Xivii has plannnnzzz" wasn't enough of a crumb? ;)

A lot of my thoughts that were in the form of words ended up in the mason chat tbh. I kept getting distracted by aggressive play from people and wasn't reading Mala or Laser as scum at all. At some point i need to learn how to turn off my moderator parsing while keeping my logic processes on. XD
Honestly I just though you were picking at him in like a weird sense. Lol. Like almost a meme where the word is spelled wrong and they are saying it affirmatively, you feel me? lol. Definitely didn’t discern it right.

bessie

Smash Journeyman
Good game everyone I was thoroughly entertained!

lol was this from Hari or Zenny? Depending on the account, it may have been the truth. I try not to lie as Hari.
It was Hari (from Werewolf in Wall Street).
I shared my copy with Sabrar. Must work on NNY, then we shall see if Hari is a liar.

I was aiming more for nullTown which I managed to hold for the first couple of phases. I've tried playing scummy on purpose once before (wam's simple) and will probably never do that again. I was scumread so strongly by so many players that my scum points had a negative overflow error and I went back to Town again, but I had to put up with being simultaneously tunneled by Sabrar, plytho and bessie (all Town) for a very long time. We did win that game, but it was definitely in spite of me. Sad I don't have that game, but you can infer from my notes that this is what I'm doing, and I'm pretty clearly just trolling this whole game. Likewise, in WoT3 I say my plan was to lurk as Town (#25) and all of my analysis is the behind the scenes in my QT. Contrast B99 where I pretty much just threw all of my thoughts in the thread and have nothing extra in analysis. I play a variety of different styles as Town and assertiveness/aggressiveness are not something that is always going to show up.
I have most of wam's simple if you want it.

Jackrito

Smash Ace
Mad props to Jackrito Jackrito for confidently pinning down two scum d1 while barely even being involved. And ranmaru ranmaru with those game winning spec reads.
Sadly I chose to place out before pushing them more. I don't normally do that but did not have the time to give this the energy it deserved wich is why I subbed out during night phase to give replacement a chance.

Top Bottom