• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Microsoft Makes Timely Progress in Activision Blizzard Acquisition

actblizz Microsoft.jpg

Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard made major strides today. After previously getting approval by the European Union, Microsoft cleared hurdles in the United States. This also helped them make headway in the United Kingdom towards closing the buyout.

The US Court system sided with Microsoft in Federal Trade Commission v. Microsoft, allowing its buyout of Activision to go through. Microsoft committed to keep their Activision titles like Call of Duty on rival platforms. This includes keeping things on Sony's systems as well as bringing future titles to Nintendo. Luckily for Microsoft, the court happened to find their commitment quite compelling. They also found that there were no serious concerns within the cloud gaming marketplace. Microsoft has agreed to work with other cloud gaming services.

Microsoft also saw progress within the UK. Previously, the Competition and Markets Authority blocked the buyout. After the FTC ruling, Microsoft vice chairman and president Brad Smith released a statement discussing the acquisition in the UK. The CMA and Microsoft put a stay on the litigation that the CMA had filed against Microsoft. Microsoft and the CMA are currently in talks to attempt to amend the acquisition to appease the CMA’s concerns.

The close date for Microsoft’s buyout of Activision Blizzard is July 18th, 2023. If the CMA and Microsoft reach an agreement, the buyout will presumably pass.

Sources:
Courtlistener
The Verge
CNN

Credits:
Writing:
TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom
Editing: @Sari, @Zerp
Thumbnail Graphic: @Zerp
Social Media: @Zerp

TCT~Phantom

Comments

Everyone's talking about this deal, and a lot of it is on the negative side.

I understand some of it, especially since this isn't the first time Microsoft has tempted fate against monopolization and such.

But personally, I just hope this means the likes of Crash and Spyro can be easier to get for the next Smash game. A very short-sighted hope, I know.

Top Bottom