• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Michigan Project M Power Rankings

Nominate10

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-3932-8404
Sorry if that sounded like a callout. I just wanted to know the reasoning behind it.

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
What an incredible tournament that Equinox turned out to be!!! Congratulations to all competitors!

Project M had a high turnout and there was a lot of players that showed up from all over MI. This tournament was definitely one to remember. The matches recorded should be uploaded in the near future.

There was lots of hype and even a few upsets. The top 16 PM singles bracket was the most stacked I've seen in a long time. For those that haven't seen the full results, check below:

PM Singles: http://challonge.com/EQXPM2/standings
S4 Singles: http://challonge.com/EQXS42/standings
PM Doubles: http://challonge.com/EQPM2/standings
S4: Doubles: http://challonge.com/EQS42/standings
64 Singles: http://challonge.com/EQUINOXSSB64/standings
Melee Singles: http://challonge.com/EQUINOXSSM/standings
Melee Doubles: NJA / FendrickLamar (Round Robin Bo5, winner take all)

lain

Smash Master
I'm confused, why is this PR taking so ****ing long to be made? First season it was 3 months long, 2nd season was 8 months long, and those are both understandable. But 3rd season is taking.... a year and a half? ****'s taking so long the PR's look like a joke compared to what they are in reality now.

At first it was said to be released in March, or maybe April/May. You can't delay this **** forever... Just make it like a 3-6 month basis so it's more active. I think it's time we update the PR, and then update it again when 3.6 drops.

D e l t a

I'll talk to Lordy & fZk and see what we can do.

Current updates: the top 5 players are primarily set in stone; the only things to work out are active participants and tourney rankings. Some players have not yet attended enough events to be qualified for PR yet. Spots 6-10 still need to be discussed as well.

We'll try to get back to you shortly.

Nominate10

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-3932-8404
The PR should not be waiting for players. You should have dates specified for the length of the season and then strictly follow that, and have a PR released when that period is over.

D e l t a

The PR is not "waiting on players." Releasing a PR list just after 3.5 released didn't seem appropriate so Lordy decided on making the rankings for 3.5 to be made this year instead of last. With 3.6 being confirmed to release in the coming months, we will make a new PR list based on the span of 3.5 tournaments during this timeframe.

I will attempt to keep you all informed of any updates. Please try to stay rational about this. I understand the previous list is well outdated. The decision to wait on making a new list was made well before I was a panelist. This is all based on what I know and have been told.

EDIT: To clairfy what I mean in the above post, some players such as Loe1 and Anther are not active as of recent; therefore, we have to consider 2 other players unless they start showing up to more tournaments. The PR list doesn't wait for anybody.

Last edited:

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
The PR is not "waiting on players." Releasing a PR list just after 3.5 released didn't seem appropriate so Lordy decided on making the rankings for 3.5 to be made this year instead of last. With 3.6 being confirmed to release in the coming months, we will make a new PR list based on the span of 3.5 tournaments during this timeframe.

I will attempt to keep you all informed of any updates. Please try to stay rational about this. I understand the previous list is well outdated. The decision to wait on making a new list was made well before I was a panelist. This is all based on what I know and have been told.

EDIT: To clairfy what I mean in the above post, some players such as Loe1 and Anther are not active as of recent; therefore, we have to consider 2 other players unless they start showing up to more tournaments. The PR list doesn't wait for anybody.
Idk about Loe1 but I know Anther has gone to at least 2 tournaments in 3.5 so he shouldn't be inactive

lain

Smash Master
I think there's too much focus on making a PR that spans an entire patch and shows the overall placings or whatever.

Instead, and what I always thought was the actual point of a PR, was to show an accurate, relatively up-to-date rankings list that was updated fairly often to show individual player improvements, and give others new goals and such to work for.

also, I welcome you deepvoiceguy lol I'm not flaming you over this, since I know this decision to continually delay the PR wasn't yours. I'm just saying a PR should probably be released within the next month or something, and then we can re-update when 3.6 comes out. Probably the best.

D e l t a

a PR should probably be released within the next month or something, and then we can re-update when 3.6 comes out.
Alright. I'll try to talk with Lordy and see what he says.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Let the flaming and ****talking commence:

Anther
JZ
Lordy
Lain
LOE1
Tetra
Blake
Super
Dirtboi
Benji

We ran into a few immediate problems:

1) Length of the season

2) Lack of brackets

3) Active vs. inactive players

4) Large skill growth and decline over the year

Myself and fZk, who are both pretty busy, had to message TOs asking for results threads, many of which we were not able to get. Even when we wanted to release the update, we couldn't have done a good job, so we got lazy. There was little pressure from outside for us to update until recent changes/upsets began to happen. And so we were forced to balance between two extremes: taking a snapshot of the last few months, or consider tournaments from nearly a year ago as relevant (either case being unfair).

To answer questionable placements: Lordy was placed at 3rd for his consistency, OoS wins, and activeness that spanned the entire year (also collusion). Lain, although clearly 3rd best (in state) for the last few events, has a spotty record and lackluster placements during the first three quarters of the season. LOE1 is 5th, although his nearly impeccable record, has attended an extremely small number of events (which we found hard to justify over Lordy and Lain’s activeness). Tetra is 6th, unfairly, due to being slightly more active than LOE, but having a less impressive record.

Other notes:

a) Since 6 months is too short, a year too long, we plan on releasing future updates per 9 months

b) TOs, PLEASE keep track of your brackets and send them to us (at least don’t lose them)

c) Dirt

D) BOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Edit: We MAY considering updating every 6 months, and we may considering putting on HMs. I think that this will give our players more incentive to come out and compete.

Last edited:

zFrost

how do i title
NNID
z13124
"b) TOs, PLEASE keep track of your brackets and send them to us (at least don’t lose them)" < so much this

Last edited:

lain

Smash Master
Oh I'll let the ****-talk commence.

Of course I'm below Lordy, what a surprise :)

I've only won the last 15 times and placed higher for the last 3-5 months.

Spotty record? ***, I've consistently placed either 1st, or behind JZ and Anther.

Lackluster performance in the first 3 quarters? Yeah, when I didn't play the game I was only placing top 4 like 8-10 months ago. The last 3-5 months I've CONSISTENTLY beaten you, placed about the same OOS (sans Nebraska) (remember E2C 12?), and not to mention we've BOTH had random losses to people. Not just me. You consistently lose to Tetra, whereas I do not. You sometimes lose to Super, where I do not. 5-1? Don't talk about my random losses that are few and far between like they mean everything.

You constantly ******* about wanting to play JZ and how you'd beat him and prove the "triangle of winning", and yet you got *****.

As it stands, I've taken more sets off him than you have, and I beat you every single time. A PR should show what is CURRENTLY happening, not "what happened 10 months ago that one time".

I talked with JZ and a few others about the PR, and it was pretty clear that I was higher at this point, but hey, you're the panelist.

D e l t a

Oh I'll let the ****-talk commence.

Of course I'm below Lordy, what a surprise :)

I've only won the last 15 times and placed higher for the last 3-5 months.

Spotty record? ***, I've consistently placed either 1st, or behind JZ and Anther.

Lackluster performance in the first 3 quarters? Yeah, when I didn't play the game I was only placing top 4 like 8-10 months ago. The last 3-5 months I've CONSISTENTLY beaten you, placed about the same OOS (sans Nebraska) (remember E2C 12?), and not to mention we've BOTH had random losses to people. Not just me. You consistently lose to Tetra, whereas I do not. You sometimes lose to Super, where I do not. 5-1? Don't talk about my random losses that are few and far between like they mean everything.

You constantly *****ed about wanting to play JZ and how you'd beat him and prove the "triangle of winning", and yet you got *****.

As it stands, I've taken more sets off him than you have, and I beat you every single time. A PR should show what is CURRENTLY happening, not "what happened 10 months ago that one time".

I talked with JZ and a few others about the PR, and it was pretty clear that I was higher at this point, but hey, you're the panelist.
Apologies on this one, Lain. Lordy & I discussed this on end, and we felt that the season should cap the entire timespan, not only the few recent tourneys. Your record as of recent has been consistent and top notch. Your rankings and placement we all agree should earn you 3rd if the season was based off the last 2months. However, completely discrediting Lordy's dominance in MI not including Anther or JZ would be unfair. Yes, you put in hard work and are now taking games and sets off Lordy. If you continue at the same pace into season 4 as you are proving in the last 2 months, undoubtably you will rightfully claim #3 (or better) on the PR.

Other such rankings include Tetra at #6, which again, was acknowledged and recognized as not completely accurate given recent month's performance. If she also plays at the same increasingly dominant rate, Tetra will be ranked higher as well.

lain

Smash Master
Few recent tourneys? Last 2 months? Taking games and sets off him?

With that wording I feel like you're highly discrediting how long and how consistent it's actually been.

To be fair, I'm pretty certain I've been on top for MOST of this last patch, which is what you guys are apparently basing it off of. C'est la vie, I suppose.

Last edited:

D e l t a

My wording may not be accurate; however, we discussed this topic in particular at length. I understand it must be frustrating to be ranked below the person you now consistently can beat in tourney. If you play as well as you do now, by the end of season 4 you will undoubtably be ranked higher than Lordy. Rankings were based off the entire performance of the season.

You wanted rankings to be done, so we released this list. Had the season been extended any longer, people would've been more annoyed at an already outdated list. The list is mostly reflective of current times. What's done is done.

I've put in my end towards this part of the discussion and I hope you understand why we made this decision.

D e l t a

Also, you all suck and need to get better. Anther stopped coming out to give you all a chance at winning :kappa:

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I thought it was for longer too Lain. Jeff checked and the GG where you (first?) beat me was only 3 months ago. Which is 1/5th of the span of the season.

Also, we made it clear that our list was unable to be accurate for the reasons listed. We put it out so that we can make Season 4 good.

Edit: Few other notes. I have losses to Super (1 or 2), Soulpech (the tourney where he beat Anther), 5-1 (beat him the second time we played), Tetra (2-3), Lain (no brackets to get set count), Drephen (1-2), Hanky (1-1). That's all I can remember atm.

Lain has losses to Blake (0-6?), Tap (1-1), Ohio Bowser (0-1 who I beat), Village Mascot (1-2 who I beat), Smeesh (who I beat), Frizzle (who I beat), Freeze (0-1? who I beat), Drephen. All I can remember. Most of your losses are random, people who you would beat if you played again, but it shows inconsistency for you this season. Had the season not be so long, you would be above me w/o question. I had you above me in my list until I considered how long this damn season actually has been.

Last edited:

MiloniVanili

Smash Apprentice
I agree partially with what lain said, I don't know about if he should be higher or not because I don't pay much attention to pm results but I do agree that PRs should be about what is happening now. Which is why seasons should be no longer than 3-4 months

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
I thought it was for longer too Lain. Jeff checked and the GG where you (first?) beat me was only 3 months ago. Which is 1/5th of the span of the season.

Also, we made it clear that our list was unable to be accurate for the reasons listed. We put it out so that we can make Season 4 good.

Edit: Few other notes. I have losses to Super (1 or 2), Soulpech (the tourney where he beat Anther), 5-1 (beat him the second time we played), Tetra (2-3), Lain (no brackets to get set count), Drephen (1-2), Hanky (1-1). That's all I can remember atm.

Lain has losses to Blake (0-6?), Tap (1-1), Ohio Bowser (0-1 who I beat), Village Mascot (1-2 who I beat), Smeesh (who I beat), Frizzle (who I beat), Freeze (0-1? who I beat), Drephen. All I can remember. Most of your losses are random, people who you would beat if you played again, but it shows inconsistency for you this season. Had the season not be so long, you would be above me w/o question. I had you above me in my list until I considered how long this damn season actually has been.
Couple questions for interest, is 3.0 really considered for any of this? Because if not then 3 months is the majority of 3.5's season, even if 3.0 was looked at ever so slightly I would say that it should be looked at more like 1/2 rather than 1/5. Also Tap was pools in case it matters (probably not just throwing it out there)

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Yeah, it came down to a vote on how to weight the timescale. Which is why myself, LOE, and Blake are higher than they should be. I just looked at the OP and realized all of the dates are ****ed up. I'll take a look at it.

Edit: Fixing OP dates

Edit2: In case my edit in big post above wasn't noticed. I think we will start doing 2 seasons per year now, possibly HMs. Updating the list got a lot of people excited to get better. Season 4 will end all the chaotic-ness (that was caused by thread ownership changes and version changes) by ending at 2015.

Last edited:

lordhelmet

Smash Master
More post spam.

BIG CORRECTIONS

All of the dates were ****ed up. fZk and I had to do a ton of digging to get them right. Turns out, season 3 was only 6 months long. Seasons 1 and 2 were mini seasons (3 months). We will continue with the 6 month seasons for now.

Lain has been bumped up due to the mistake in time periods.

Season 4 will start with Spau (anything that happens before will still be considered, but this way the OP dates are nice and rounded).

lain

Smash Master
FOR GREAT JUSTICE.

Thank you. You and I both had validity to our statements, I just honestly felt like I got grimed out of what's been happening for the last 2-3 months or whatever. For the record, I don't think I'm 100% better than Lordy, or other people for that matter (0-5315426 with Blake). I just felt like overall, the results reflect that I've been (somewhat) consistently up there.

Top Bottom