• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MGC Tournament Coming- Smash Bros Melee!

SmooveG

Smash Cadet
The Midnight Gaming Championsip http://www.midnightgamingchampionship.com has officially started crossing the country and Super Smash Bros. Melee has been announced as one of the official tournament games!

The goal of the Midnight Gaming Championship is simple—partner with key brands to help raise awareness and acceptance of gaming, and make competitive gaming more accessible by offering more tournaments in more cities. And it's all FREE to enter!

Each individual event is awarding the following-

1st Place SUPER SMASH BROS. MELEE:
- $75 Cash
- $25 McDonald’s Arch Card
- GameZnFlix 3 month / 3 out membership ($50 value)
- Round Trip Airfare to the Oct. 6th Championship event in Dallas, TX ($250 value)
- One night hotel accommodations in Dallas, TX ($75 value)
- MGC T-Shirt ($10 value)

2nd Place SUPER SMASH BROS. MELEE:
- MGC T-Shirt ($10 Value)

1st Place Championship Event on Oct. 6th winner receives:
- $3,000 in cash and gift cards
- 1 year membership to GameZnFlix
- MGC Championship Trophy

2nd Place Championship Event on Oct. 6th winner receives:
- $1,000 in cash and gift card

The MGC tour (check website for exact locations):

June 9, 16, 23 and 30
Houston
Atlanta
Austin, Texas
Oklahoma City, Okla.

July 7, 14, 21 and 28
Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
Detroit
Albuquerque-Santa Fe, N.M.
Charlotte, N.C.

August 4, 11, 18, 25
Little Rock, Ark.
Salt Lake City, Utah
Norfolk, Va.
Grand Rapids, Mich. (4th only)
Flint, Michigan (11th only)
Lansing, Mich. (18th only)
Traverse City, Mich. (25th only)

OFFICIAL RULES
VS Melee
2/3 Games
4 Stock
6 Minute Timer
No Items
First stage agreed upon or random
Loser picks subsequent stages
After the stage has been selected by the losing player, the winner of the previous game may change characters, but has to pick first.
No stage may be used twice in any given set.
Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
Random Stages: Final Destination, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium, Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Story, Battlefield, Rainbow Cruise

Banned Stages: Hyrule Temple, Fourside, Flatzone, Mushroom Kingdom, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Great Bay and
Yoshi's Island 64.

In addition to SSBM, the other tournament games are:

NBA 2K 7 (Xbox 360)
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (Xbox 360)
GTR 2 FIA GT Racing (PC)
The Fast and the Furious: Fugitive (Mobile)

Nintendo is an official sponsor of this tournament, so no telling what extra surprises may be in store!

It's recommended to register online to secure a place. Spread the word, free events don't come around often- we need to show the sponsors that the effort will be supported by the gaming community!

holymarth007

Smash Journeyman
Okay, no. I'm NOT going to let this thread die. I'm going to spread the HELL out of this so we get the BEST potential from this possibility. I believe that what you guys doing is AMAZING, and I'm going to do my best to show everyone else just how amazing this is, no lies.

Good Stuff.

~Kidd~

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
:(

Announced pretty late, if you ask me.

And I think it's ironic that the ATL date is the 16th - same day as Pound 2.

And if i hear right, alot of people in GA and FL are going to Pound 2.

I mention FL cause, just like Col said, there's no tournies in FL (which makes no sense. D: )

--edit--

Oh i didnt understand how this worked - the post is veryyyyyyy frickin vague.

How bout some rules or something?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Apparently, this thing is going on for all 4 days its listed for june (hard to pull out of here, eh?)

and they have rules, somewhere. On some other thread.

Basic stuff with 6 minutes and no mention of stage selection. They say they'll put official rules up "later", even though there's supposed to be a tourney saturday.

SmooveG

Smash Cadet
Apparently, this thing is going on for all 4 days its listed for june (hard to pull out of here, eh?)

and they have rules, somewhere. On some other thread.

Basic stuff with 6 minutes and no mention of stage selection. They say they'll put official rules up "later", even though there's supposed to be a tourney saturday.
Posted official rules to the original post. They WILL be on the site by tommorrow.

eastheaven

Smash Ace
Wait so is it going to be at Atlanta all 4 of those days, the June 9, 16, 23 and 30 days?
There's going to be an address posted right?

SmooveG

Smash Cadet
That's right. Locations and times are on the site, but here's the Atlanta stops:

Jun 09 6:00 - 12:00 am McDonald's 7894 Tara Boulevard Jonesboro GA 30236
Jun 16 6:00 - 12:00 am McDonald's 885 Industrial Blvd. McDonough GA 30253
Jun 23 6:00 - 12:00 am McDonald's 1429 Riverstone Pkwy. Canton GA 30114
Jun 30 6:00 - 12:00 am McDonald's 3396 Chamblee Tucker Rd. Atlanta GA 30340

eastheaven

Smash Ace
When today's ends, could you tell me what time it ended at so that I will know if it's possible to catch a MARTA after the end of a tourney?

skip430

Smash Cadet
do you have yo go to all the dates listed for atlanta if you want to place in this tourny, or can you just go to one of them (say the one on the 16th)?

Gerbil

Smash Champion
I'll certainly see about being there, my dad is in McDonough, and everyone else will be at Pound 2. Hey MIKE! Mike Ares!!! Dude, we're going to this!

Carter88

Smash Journeyman
I just went there (and won by the way) and it was a pretty cool setup. They had a huge blowup tent with a bunch of nice tvs. I got $75 cash, $75 Mcdonalds arch card, a 3 month membership to Gameznflix, a t-shirt, a round-trip plane ticket to Dallas, a free hotel stay, and a chance to win $3000 at the national tournament. YAY! Everyone should go to this next week. The hosts were pretty cool and 99x was there.

Some of the bad stuff:

Although they had many tvs and they were very nice, they all had delays. Also, the cubes didn't have memory cards or anything so I advise people to bring memory cards, and maybe even a tv or two. I want more people to go to this so that me and 3 of my smashing friends can go to Dallas. Also, the tournament directors needed some help with the brackets and what not, but if we get a few tournament directors from the boards, we can really help them out.

Besides that, everything was pretty fun. EVERYONE GO TO THE NEXT ONE. The people hosting it were real generous and I actually won a lot of stuff for not having to pay an entry fee. GO MGC.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Who said me and Ares would lose to you and your friends? ;)

If Mike goes, I'm going, and we'll be sure to bring the heat :D

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Double post because the Edit button isn't working.

Anyways, I meant to say congrats to you too Carter!

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Good question we should all be asking...

Hey Carter... we're smashing friends now haha... and Ares, and definately Tong. And of course we can't forget 112 and any others not going to Pound ^.^

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Ah..... If Ares would kindly log in, I'd see if we are going >.> My mom (God this sounds dumb) won't let me take the car to the Atlanta area >.< And Ares has that **** sprained ankle and may not be able to drive.

My solution: I'm taking the car anyways if Ares can't drive haha.

Carter88

Smash Journeyman
Good question we should all be asking...

Hey Carter... we're smashing friends now haha... and Ares, and definately Tong. And of course we can't forget 112 and any others not going to Pound ^.^
When I said smashing friends, I meant just 112 and the people I really know.

I'm just kidding.

By smashing friends I meant anyone and everyone that I know personally through smashboards and other tournaments. I'm just saying that we can make this Dallas trip more than just a trip for smash. It can be an awesome road trip (or sky trip). SO GO TO THIS PEOPLE AND WIN!!

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Hey question about the time. It says it lasts until 12 AM (Midnight) and starts at 6. But is that 6 AM or 6 PM?

Also, is there a teams tournament involved?

SmooveG

Smash Cadet
6pm - 12am...

No teams tournament at this time, but plenty of free play available after the tournament concludes!

SmooveG

Smash Cadet
MGC Week #2 Registation Open!

http://www.midnightgamingchampionship.com

Week 2 Dates, Times and Locations:

June 16 6p - 12a McDonald's 885 Industrial Blvd. McDonough GA 30253
June 16 6p - 12a McDonald's 13609 N Interstate I35 Austin TX 78753
June 16 6p - 12a McDonald's 14099 Northwest Fwy. Houston TX 77040
June 16 6p - 12a McDonald's 101 Ed Noble Parkway Norman OK 73069

Gerbil

Smash Champion
What exactly should we put in our gamer bio? Part of me is tempted to brag about things that are totally untrue lol, but another part says just to be real with it. (I've never done a registration like this before >.>)

BlueLu88

Smash Rookie
I might make it to this one,
June 16 6p - 12a McDonald's 885 Industrial Blvd. McDonough GA 30253

Never done a tourny so this should be fun!

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Myself and Ares are confirmed to represent Columbus. :)

EDIT: I looked at your rules more closely. You have a small banned stages list, I'm going to naturally assume I can use any other stage and get no complaints correct? And vice cersa of course, but I wanted to get this clarified because often times tournaments ban Onett and I definately see that as a legal option for me now. ^.^ Still it seems somewhat small, as if I'm missing looking at certain ones I normally see banned.

^ I meant that as in most of us here at SWF are used to a larger banned list, so it was somewhat confusing to me.

Also, is this single elim? If so, why? If it has something to do with the way brackets are made, might we introduce you to TIO? If it's another reason, care to explain? Not trying to complain (especially since it's free) but I'm just curious is all.

SmooveG

Smash Cadet
If a stage is not on the banned list, you can use it. If you want to use stages that need to be unlocked, you will need to bring a memory card with everything unlocked.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
I'll be sure to bring a memory card to load all the data, if you need me to load it on any cube at any time, let me know, cause I don't want the memory card leaving my hand (I've seen some people lose like... 5 of these things :urg:)

chaddd

Smash Lord
Man. Not a single hippy told me about this tournament. I had to hear it from Mr. Menthol.

I'm coming to this. Free McDonalds!

Carter88

Smash Journeyman
Honestly people, if you can, I would try to bring a few T.V.s. Most of them there had a pretty bad delay (I don't know if it bothers you) but it bothers me. I emailed the guy that runs it and told him that we need some normal televisions (without the HD delay or whatever) but I don't know if he's definitely going to bring them.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
So here's how it went down.

I rocked SleepyK (j/k ;)), some Ganon noob, and then got put out by 112. **** you. ^.^

Actually. It was Ares and 112 in the finals. 112 went on to play Chaddd after he put me out, beat him, then went on to finals to play Ares. The bracket was done in Word, which was kind of weird, but effective I guess since it was Single Elim. Uhhhh a LOT of noobs att his tourny. It was kind of funny, but a weird experience too. I got Ganon comboed in a way I never thought possible >.>

Anyways, I had fun.

List of Johns:

Single Elim
Laggy T.V.s
The venue collapsed (seriously, it was a blow up venue, and the thing came crashing down on us lol)

eastheaven

Smash Ace
The venue collapsed (seriously, it was a blow up venue, and the thing came crashing down on us lol)

some funny right hurr

Daysoo

Smash Ace
TV's sucked. Period.

I had fun, though.
Lots of friendly faces, AND I got to play Kirby in brackets. Won too. :D

Just wish Gerbil hadn't used those mad hax in the Pichu tournament.
That **** would have been outright BANNED anywhere else. >:(

Top Bottom