• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo's matchups?

neverborn

Smash Rookie
I was wondering if anyone would go into detail on Mewtwo's matchups. And yes, I have read quak's guide. :smash:

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
Well I guess we could start making a guide. As of now we don't have an every character chart. If you need help with a particual matchup please just feel free to ask. I guess I could start writing up a chart. idk it's summer for me now so ill have some time on my hands. lolz

neverborn

Smash Rookie
It would be helpful if you made a guide on Mewtwo's matchups. quak's summary was a bit too brief.

-Marth (quak's guide basicly said you lose :( )
-Ice Climbers ( Kills my Shadow Ball spam and grabs :mad: )
-Mario/Dr. Mario (people play him)
-Link (I think Mewtwo has the upper hand)
-Pikachu (just cuz)

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
Mewtwo is basically even or worse against every character in the game.

As far as matchups go, Mewtwo has to play to the opponent's tune. Essentially, they will not change their basic playstyle, and there's little they need to add. Best way to learn Mewtwo's matchups is to learn the playstyles of every other character.

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
mewtwo DOEs need to play differently against many characters.

in the thread "Taj is the BEST", taj, the best mewtwo players as of current, already addresses some of the matchups. he addressed fox, falco, falcon, jigglypuff??, link. if theres anyone to ask, taj's response would be most accurate. (just heads up)

neverborn

Smash Rookie
I thought the Mewtwo vs Link match was in Mewtwo's favor. :confused:

It would be helpful if I got YOUR experience. I don't care if you're not Taj anyone will do. Just post your experience. :)

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Marth, CF, and ICs are really really bad. I know I've been out of the M2 loop for a while but I'm sure even Taj would agree with me there.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
I must say I disagree with you Mookie on the ICs point. I have been playing against a really good ICs player for a while now and have become quite accustomed to how they work. I would say they are an average matchup; no more disadvantages against them than any other matchup for the most part.

CF isn't too bad either. Perhaps it is just my play style, but I love fighting the fast fallers.

I agree that Marth is a more difficult than average matchup though.

D

Deleted member

ICs are ok, not that bad. I think fox is the worst for mewtwo, personally. Falcon and falco aren't that bad, sheik and marth are kinda hard, but in the end it's fox's DD upthrow flip kick that kills.

neverborn

Smash Rookie
Most you you say Ice Climbers is average with Mewtwo. But their neutral B (don't know the name) is killing me! I also grab the wrong one and if I do grab the right one, the other person will knock me out. So tell me, how should you fight Ice Climbers?

And are there ANY characters that are in Mewtwo's favor? I though Link was one but some people say otherwise.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Against ICs, I believe Nair can help separate them and mess with them as they are floatys. Since they are quite light it's a bit easier for Mewtwo to ceiling KO them as well (Fairs, Up throws)

Link; D tilt/D throw ;D

quak

Smash Champion
no, mewtwo doesn't have any matchups that are in his favor

i thought dk was at one time, then i played a good dk, and now, it's even at best

same with g&w, but i think g&w could possibly have an advantage over m2 (**** fair)

i honestly believe that there is no matchup in mewtwo's favor

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
Trudat Quak. Mewtwo doesn't have any matches in his favor. He has to work for every single hit against everyone else. Back on topic, personally I think Link has a pretty significant advantage over Mewtwo. I play against a spammy Link quite often, and it is extremely hard to get close to him. Even if I do, Link's jabs have pretty good range and are quick enough to keep me outside of the tilt or grab range. Probably the only thing Mewtwo has on Link is the simple combos. D-Tilt to FAir, double BAir edgeguarding, etc. Then again, Link has buckets of priority over Mewtwo. Aerials eat through alot of your attacks, and that friggin Up-B has a ton of knockback behind it. His grab range is huge and the down throw combos into nearly anything.

neverborn

Smash Rookie
I thought Mewtwo has an advantage over Link. There's this person I play often and he's genarally better than me. His shiek would always 3-4 stock me. He claims Link is his best but my Mewtwo beats his Link.

Doesn't Mewtwo beat Link's projectiles with shadow ball spamming? They come out faster. And Mewtwo's tilts out range Link don't they?

Anyone got any advice for Ice Climbers?

dguy6789

Smash Lord
I personally don't have much difficulty fighting with Links. Shadow balls work wonders for countering Link's projectile spam. About it being a matchup in Mewtwo's favor, I am not so sure, but it certainly isn't one of Mewtwo's harder matchups.

Ice Climber fighting is a bit tricky, but can be dealt with. Neutral air is excellent for separating them. Down tilts are good for stopping a fast IC that is trying to come in and dsmash or grab you. They(down tilts) are also effective at starting the trusty down tilt to fair combo, which works quite well on ICs.

Throws take some care to do correctly against an IC. If you grab one, a good IC player will have the other one attack you whenever possible. Learn how to throw intelligently against them. Suppose I grab one of the ics. I am holding it right in front of me. The other ic can run forward and smack me. If I push back on the control stick, I begin moving the IC over my shoulder for a back throw. The instant the grabbed IC starts moving, it becomes a weapon. If the other IC tries to save the one I have caught in the grab and I initiate the grab at the right time, it will both smack the non grabbed IC and throw back the other one. Forward throw can work well as the shadowballs being shot at the grabbed IC will usually hit the non grabbed one. I would recommend against up throw unless the ICs are separated and the other one will not be able to get to you until the throw is completed. Down throw is useful as it is a very quick grab. You can often pull it off without punishment.

Something I would say is important for any and all matchups is to learn to get out of grabs quickly. ICs grabs are dangerous, especially if your opponent knows how to wobble and it isn't banned where you are playing at. When an IC throws you, DIing up is generally the way to go.

Keep your spacing and don't get nervous. A good IC player can be incredibly fast. This can cause some players to get overwhelmed and become defeated psychologically as a result. As long as you keep your cool, you should be able to do fine.

Vist

Smash Champion
The only thing you need to worry about with the ICs is the down air chain grab. If an IC can do that then you're F***ed when you get grabbed. Otherwise it's not a big deal. If they're allowed to Wobble too, then you just gotta change your style. Mewtwo can easily incapacitate nana before he gets grabbed. Mewtwo can easily neutralize IC's wavedash approach between shadowballs and down tilt. Mewtwo can grab, attack, and backthrow reliably. Ice blocks are worthless against M2. Just short hop over them while throwing your shadow balls. Keep Nana and Popo split up is your main priority, as well as gimp KOing Nana when possible.

After that, you basically just focus on not getting grabbed and smashed and fight like normal, easy up throw KOs as well.

Hmm normally I don't discuss this stuff unless people ask me, but oh well. :p

I'll be back home later this afternoon.

-Taj

marth8000

Smash Cadet
well mewtwo's not exactly top tier but i can play a little of him he might be good against link but sadly not many matchups go in his favor

ih0tfirei

Smash Rookie
see the thing is it all comes down to mind games. i saw taj teleport to the same exact spot confusing the h*** out of a falco player. Its just so much harder with mewtwo to do it. but teleport mind games can help alot.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
It helped me get a grab, but that's pretty much it. That one teleport in particular took months and months of repetition to get off. Against normal players, I've done it a few times, but depending on their awareness it takes a while for them to recognize the intended pattern and some awareness of your own part to capitalize on it accordingly.

neverborn

Smash Rookie
My mind games are poor. I can get from the ledge to the stage in one piece, but thats it. One last thing. This doesn't have anything to do with the topic, but I don't feel like making another tread.

How important is L-Canceling for Mewtwo? I learned the other techs but I don't see any real boost in L-Canceling. I know it lessens your lag but by how much?

A video showing the difference between a L-Canceling Mewtwo and a non L-Canceling Mewtwo would be helpful.

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
Trust me, it helps. DJCing a FAir will leave you with quite a bit of lag, so you want to minimize it as much as possible. The same goes with his other aerials. The last thing you want is to be put into a bad position, allowing them to gain the upper hand and take control of the match. But, why wouldn't you want to learn to L-Cancel? It won't hurt you in the least bit anyways. Just take like an hour and you'll be familiar with his timing.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
L cancel = 1st/2nd most important thing in advanced smash. For all characters.

quak

Smash Champion
spamming DJC fairs and random d-tilts is so intimidating when ur waiting for your opponent to respawn, thought i'd just throw that out there.

neverborn

Smash Rookie
Don't worry, I will learn L-Canceling, just not yet. I'm setting my priorities to wavedashing.

Yeah.... I'm going to need a video. I tried practicing L-Canceling but I couldn't tell if I've done it correctly.

Top Bottom