• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

mewtwo vs floaty characters

ajc3388

Smash Rookie
I wasn't sure if it was just me, but against floaty characters, jiggly puff, marth, samus etc. I find it really hard to rack up the damage on them. When i down throw it's out of d-tilt range, and when I d-tilt, i cant follow up with a throw, or with a Fair of any kind. It's almost like im stuck trying to land random shots until the % is high enough to up/back throw KO them.

any help with that?

daddy neptune

Smash Apprentice
When against floaty characters I tend to worry about racking damage for the u/b-throws. I use the tilts to keep at a distance and back off and keep moving. I don't know can anyone else help out?

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Do Nairs. Since floaties spend a bit of time in the air, N air happens to work rather well.

U throw a lot, F air out of shield works too. A little.

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
Nair is your friend. Your close friend. Your more than just a friend. Your erotic lover that you hide from your spouse.

Also your damage will come from juggles as well.

quak

Smash Champion
...is boring

use more tilts than you would, and use your nair and up air more than you would

matches..... so long....

BerDinosaur

Smash Cadet
Floaties are a pain to deal with! Just use the Nair and dtilt to quick aerials. BSBs can also help rack up damage little by little. But that's just my opinion.

Dan2

Smash Apprentice
The last four people got it right. Against samus in particular, I tend to use more fairs to try to reach into bomb spam. I'm about to sound like a n00b, but against some floaties, I use dtilt->utilt. I know it doesn't work if they are good, but I haven't found enough good people in my area to develop my game against good floaties.

My best friend plays samus, and no matter how you look at it, it's a looooooooooooong match.
~_~

quak

Smash Champion
dude, d-tilt uptilt is gold, not just against floaties either, don't worry about sounding like a noob, especial on the m2 boards.

uptilt, usually sets up for upairs, or a nair, and yeah, if you d-tilt them at really close range, it connects quite easily

Dark Iori Yagami

Smash Lord
Well i love m2 and it would be ashamed if i didn't share my secrets. You ready the thing with m2 is spam, think of yourself as other characters, for instance. The up tilt is has range like marths up tilt, throws are like a stronger version of ness, body spark the same as samuses up b. The point is m2 is an awsome character period. I will now explain quick ways to rack damage, the backthrow to shield grab. I'm sure many have noticed but if you throw your opponet to the middle of the board and you teleport they will attack hince another shield grab, this works on floaters to. The body spark to grab works well to. up throw to back airs or just turn around to back airs, and the forward throw into walls for damage gain.

my vid will be out soon so everyone keep there i's open thanks

Dan2

Smash Apprentice
say what??............
If i had to guess, I think he's saying that after you backthrow, if you teleport to the center of the stage and shield, that the opponent will attack and you can shield grab them again...

I'm pretty sure this is nullified by: spacing attacks, grabbing, l-canceling (with fast arials) and spotdodging.

This would probably work well on people who aren't used to mindgames, but I'm pretty sure that advanced players wouldn't be caught in it. That being said... I do remember Mookie Rah mentioning something awesome coming out of a nair -> grab combo, but I think that it was only on space animals or Cptn. Falcon.

Anybody else wanna take a crack at it?

joshisrad

Smash Lord
He sounds like he has terrible opponents.

Something I dig doing to Luigi's is m2spiking them(as me and my friends call it, I know it's not a spike) them during their forward b recovery lag.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
say what??............
haha, Iori mindgames. Too good. His posts are sometimes (usually) very hard to decipher. :laugh:

If i had to guess, I think he's saying that after you backthrow, if you teleport to the center of the stage and shield, that the opponent will attack and you can shield grab them again...

I'm pretty sure this is nullified by: spacing attacks, grabbing, l-canceling (with fast arials) and spotdodging.

This would probably work well on people who aren't used to mindgames, but I'm pretty sure that advanced players wouldn't be caught in it. That being said... I do remember Mookie Rah mentioning something awesome coming out of a nair -> grab combo, but I think that it was only on space animals or Cptn. Falcon.

Anybody else wanna take a crack at it?
Even if he did say that (to be honest, I don't know what he said), people can fall for stuff more times than once if you mix it up a little and do not blatantly use if over and over. Plus, it can work the first time. :)

He sounds like he has terrible opponents.
Ouch. :( I try. *Cries* I don't think the Memphis kids nor -Chad- are that bad. :laugh:

Dan2

Smash Apprentice
Hehe, from what I've seen, Iori's mewtwo is better than mine by a lot. In his post, he just made it sound like you could "chain throw" using that tactic. I'll be the first to admit that shield grabbing is my most effective strategy, but people see past it far too easily...

There's a lot to take into account... It works far too often in my area, so I'll give him props for a neat mindgame idea, but then I'll have to take them away for making me think harder than I should at night... j/k.

I need to play some of you guys in memphis. We need one last big tourney in the atlantic south. I'll be working on that... we'll see what results.

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
the nair connects into grab.
mookierah introduced it.

ive used it in competitive scenes.
it works every now and then.
it only works cause they have no clue whats going on.

you upthrow and connect with full hop nair, then fast fall so your last hit doesnt knock him away.
lc the lag from your nair. Your enemy should land right after you with no delay, free to actually do whatever he wants, but your enemy usually doesnt realize that the combo has disconnected and therefor doesnt do anything. and so you just grab him again.

ofcourse you dont HAVE to grab, you could always dtilt, djc fair, etc, as long as its not a slow move.

Pdiz

Smash Apprentice
Nairs, Uairs, and patience is what you need against slow fallers. You can harass a lot of slow fallers with Uair's if they're above you, since they're in the air for so long and since the Uair has huge priority.

These matches are pretty **** boring though, since really your only choice is to get a couple hits in here and there... No combos :(

Pdiz

Smash Apprentice
I'd consider 3 or 4 hits a combo, at least. Yeah, of course Mewtwo is low tier, but that doesn't mean all he has are 2 hit combos. I've done and seen mewtwo do massive combos -- more than I've seen from most other characters. You just can't really do more than 2 or 3 hits on slow falling characters, at least easily.

quak

Smash Champion
yeah, mewtwo's playing style is comboing, as opposed to bowser where it's just a couple of really hard hits to knock em away.

even though they're floaty, you still can do SOME comboing on them, just need to read when they'll jump with upairs after ur standard d-tilt w/possible up tilt.

(btw, when people say floaties, i think it only refers to characters like jiggs, kirby, samus, just the super floaty ones, not like marth, marth you can combo alot better [if you can get in])

Dark Iori Yagami

Smash Lord
I'd consider 3 or 4 hits a combo, at least. Yeah, of course Mewtwo is low tier, but that doesn't mean all he has are 2 hit combos. I've done and seen mewtwo do massive combos -- more than I've seen from most other characters. You just can't really do more than 2 or 3 hits on slow falling characters, at least easily.
I agree with you i have done really awsome combos with the guy to heck i main the guy but in matches like against samus two hitters from m2 are combos. ex

1. the body spark is like 8 hits in itself that plus a down throw is a good combo.

I know damage dose not mean the same as combo but in trainnig mode it dose. (just kidding)

quak

Smash Champion
and to clarify airo's clarification

that's 1 move = 1 hit in a combo

application: although nair has multiple and seperate hit frames, nair to fair is a 2 hit combo.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
if you ask me, especially with a character like m2...I'd consider combos as consecutive, unanswered hits. All the good combos are going to require some sort of misdirection by the attacker to confuse the victim into getting KO'ed.

EDIT:
some floaty characters (such as luigi, samus, marth, mario) tend to be far slower in the air than on the ground. Take advantage of this by using your teleport as an approach option. When in the air, they're vulnerable to your uairs but not entirely. Using teleport to get out of those "losing" situations will help a lot.

other floaties (see: Peach/Jiggs) have a great deal of aerial control and will be able to punish this tactic even if you're careful sometimes.

avoid dreamland @ all costs

quak

Smash Champion
god, i know this thread is helpful and all, but i just really want it to be closed out of hatred for m2 vs floaties.

Dark Iori Yagami

Smash Lord
if you ask me, especially with a character like m2...I'd consider combos as consecutive, unanswered hits. All the good combos are going to require some sort of misdirection by the attacker to confuse the victim into getting KO'ed.

EDIT:
some floaty characters (such as luigi, samus, marth, mario) tend to be far slower in the air than on the ground. Take advantage of this by using your teleport as an approach option. When in the air, they're vulnerable to your uairs but not entirely. Using teleport to get out of those "losing" situations will help a lot.

other floaties (see: Peach/Jiggs) have a great deal of aerial control and will be able to punish this tactic even if you're careful sometimes.

avoid dreamland @ all costs
I don't think that floatys are all that bad. Avoid dreamland and don't fight samus. Jiggs is bad but she is light.

Dark Iori Yagami

Smash Lord
floaties generally either approach by air or have projectiles. which means, with good spacing, mewtwo can do next to nothing.
Lies i know if jiggs is going arial all i have to do is run up to her during her spam fest. When i am close enough i hard shield then free body spark. Marth is the same but the differents is you may want to weaken his shield first. Samus is still my m2 numbah 1 prob.

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
Lies i know if jiggs is going arial all i have to do is run up to her during her spam fest. When i am close enough i hard shield then free body spark. Marth is the same but the differents is you may want to weaken his shield first. Samus is still my m2 numbah 1 prob.

lies

1) jiggs has too much aerial control, there is not enough time in between her spam fest for mewtwo to make a move. neither does mewtwo have the range OR priority to. and about the shield to body spark, did you not know that jigglypuffs are professional shield breakers? regardless, mewtwo wont get close enough cause jiggs has all the aerial control she needs to space perfectly.

2) marth fair is quick and spammy, and out ranges and out prioritizes all of mewtwo's aerial. theres hardly any time between those fairs for mewtwo to make a move. dtilt has less range than fair, making mewtwo's dtilt approach very difficult. and how do u intend to weaken marth's shield? and whats the point in weakening his shield?

mewtwo is left to play extremely defensively against all floaty characters, and chances are, mewtwo lands less hits out compared to the floaty. mewtwo's only reason for winning is if you're metagame is actually higher than your opponent.

Dark Iori Yagami

Smash Lord
Hmm that is great that you feel that way but facts don't make a player experience dose. So you can say whatever you want to about this and that but if you are not talking about m2king then my friend you are wrong. Spacing is a mean game but i have beaten and matched tons of player to there last stock. Guys like dope tink eddy juju bamsoldier taj and you ask them all if the match is bad or not. The way you speak makes m2 sound like a bad character. :093:

quak

Smash Champion
Hmm that is great that you feel that way but facts don't make a player experience dose. So you can say whatever you want to about this and that but if you are not talking about m2king then my friend you are wrong. Spacing is a mean game but i have beaten and matched tons of player to there last stock. Guys like dope tink eddy juju bamsoldier taj and you ask them all if the match is bad or not. The way you speak makes m2 sound like a bad character. :093:
yeah, it's possible to win against jiggs, use some baby shadowballs and hope she forgets to DI away in between aerials whens she's poking at your shield.

and yeah, it's possible to win against marths, wait for him to **** up the spacing on his double fairs, and start tilting him.

But in both situations your waiting for your opponent to make a mistake.

Granted, there are some mewtwos out there that don't have to wait for a mistake, and can completely kick anyone's ***. However, usually that's not the case.

if you can consistantly beat/go even with a marth, that's great, but it means either A) ur opponent is not good or B) you have a really good mewtwo.

Post a vid, we'll be able to see which one it is.

Top Bottom