• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metroid Prime: Federation Force Thread

D

Deleted member

No this is nothing like the wind waker fiasco back in early 2000's at all wind waker just had a different art style but still plays like a main zelda game Federation Force on the other hand play nothing like a metroid game doesn't have samus as the main lead and it looks like an cheap forgettable eshop game.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
No this is nothing like the wind waker fiasco back in early 2000's at all wind waker just had a different art style but still plays like a main zelda game Federation Force on the other hand play nothing like a metroid game doesn't have samus as the main lead and it looks like an cheap forgettable eshop game.
While I'll grant you that it doesn't look much like a traditional Metroid game, I'd hold off on assumptions like it playing "nothing like a Metroid game" until we have more info than we have now.

D

Deleted member

While I'll grant you that it doesn't look much like a traditional Metroid game, I'd hold off on assumptions like it playing "nothing like a Metroid game" until we have more info than we have now.
fair enough I just hate it when people who are trying to defend Federation Force always use that weak wind waker argument not only that argument has flaws but I don't like seeing my number one of my favourite LOZ game of all time being compared too some eshop looking game.

finalark

SNORLAX
fair enough I just hate it when people who are trying to defend Federation Force always use that weak wind waker argument not only that argument has flaws but I don't like seeing my number one of my favourite LOZ game of all time being compared too some eshop looking game.
Rule number 1 for discussing things on the internet: Don't take anything personal.

Anyway, IMO comparing Federation Force to Wind Waker is a perfectly valid argument. When the first WW teaser was shown we knew nothing about the game besides that it would have cartoony graphics and people found that enough reason to get up in arms over it.

Right now, we now nothing about Federation Force other than that it's a co-op Metroid game on the 3DS and that it involves shooting in first person. I really wish Nintendo had actually taken the time to explain the game instead of giving us a quick teaser and then acting like it's nothing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Except in this instance, the core Zelda game was still in tact and was still the exact same Zelda game we all knew and loved. Wind Waker got hate only because of its visual style, while FF is getting hate for much more than just that.

The case for Metroid is that it's definitely NOT going to be a core Metroid experience (no isolation, not nearly as much exploration, no new alien worlds) or even include Samus. And, in Wind Waker's case, there wasn't a 5-year wait for a new Zelda title (between MM and WW) like there is for Metroid. We also know now from the director that there isn't even one core Metroid title in development to his knowledge and would most likely be pushed for the NX and not the Wii U. This is extremely frustrating for an avid fanbase that's been wanting a great, new Metroid title (and if you hated Other M, it's been 8 years since a good Metroid game) to only get a spin-off Metroid title that is not Metroid whatsoever.

Though I do think it's also too early to judge the actual quality of the game and I think the petition is completely ridiculous, I think to compare FF to Wind Waker is frankly a bad comparison. The frustration for this, I feel, is somewhat justified.
It is just a picture found on DeviantArt, and I found it cute and funny, cool down buds.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Rule number 1 for discussing things on the internet: Don't take anything personal.

Anyway, IMO comparing Federation Force to Wind Waker is a perfectly valid argument. When the first WW teaser was shown we knew nothing about the game besides that it would have cartoony graphics and people found that enough reason to get up in arms over it.

Right now, we now nothing about Federation Force other than that it's a co-op Metroid game on the 3DS and that it involves shooting in first person. I really wish Nintendo had actually taken the time to explain the game instead of giving us a quick teaser and then acting like it's nothing.j
Well IMHO Federation Force should have been it own IP just like splatoon I feel like they just slap the metroid prime logo on just to get more sell out of the game BTW who is developing this game?

It is just a picture found on DeviantArt, and I found it to be cute and funny, cool down buds.
I am calm what did my reply sound like I wasn't?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Well IMHO Federation Force should have been it own IP just like splatoon I feel like they just slap the metroid prime logo on just to get more sell out of the game BTW who is developing this game?
Next Level Games. They developed several Mario spinoffs.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Next Level Games. They developed several Mario spinoffs.
And the Punch Out!! game for Wii and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.

They are a good company.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

finalark

SNORLAX
Actually, according to Kensuke Tanabe, who was involved with the Prime series and personally oversaw the development of Prime Hunters, the idea for this game has been floating around for quite a while. Apparently, Tanabe has long had an interest in expanding the Metroid universe by focusing on characters other than Samus. So you can't really pull the slapping-an-established-franchise-onto-new-IP-to-make-it-sell-better card.

Plus according to the interview the controls are going to be just like Prime (or as close as they can get on the DS), so there's that to consider. However, there's no FFA and the only competitive mode is Blast Ball.

Normally, my interest would drop like a hot brick. But it's being made by Next Level Games. Who made MARIO MOTHER****ING STRIKERS.

Also link to the interview I was reading: http://kotaku.com/everything-we-could-find-out-about-that-new-metroid-gam-1712003930

EDIT: It is worth mentioning that in the interview Tanabe said that Metroids and Samus would be in the game, but he doesn't discuss any details on that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Actually, according to Kensuke Tanabe, who was involved with the Prime series and personally oversaw the development of Prime Hunters, the idea for this game has been floating around for quite a while. Apparently, Tanabe has long had an interest in expanding the Metroid universe by focusing on characters other than Samus. So you can't really pull the slapping-an-established-franchise-onto-new-IP-to-make-it-sell-better card.

Plus according to the interview the controls are going to be just like Prime (or as close as they can get on the DS), so there's that to consider. However, there's no FFA and the only competitive mode is Blast Ball.

Normally, my interest would drop like a hot brick. But it's being made by Next Level Games. Who made MARIO MOTHER****ING STRIKERS.

Also link to the interview I was reading: http://kotaku.com/everything-we-could-find-out-about-that-new-metroid-gam-1712003930

EDIT: It is worth mentioning that in the interview Tanabe said that Metroids and Samus would be in the game, but he doesn't discuss any details on that.
Ok I have a huge respect/love for Next Level Games but the game still looks lacklustre I tried to stay open minded and watch all of the gameplay video on youtube but it still looks like a standard FPS eshop game.

D

Deleted member

You seem to be using this term a lot. Do you care to elaborate on it?
What I mean by"eshop game" I mean the forgettable and bland type of eshop games that no one would care about that what I see in Federation Force(I don't hate eshop games BTW). I hope that helps.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But still I didn't think sonic boom would this bad like sonic 06 type bad.
06 was at least fun.

Broken, but fun to mess around in.

Boom is just boring....

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm honestly excited for this given Hunters is my favorite DS game of all time.

But I understand all of the reasonable anger towards it.

I say reasonable because the stupid petition exists.

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
This game feels like asking for a chocolate cake and waiting 5 years, then getting only a chocolate cupcake.

But after looking at the gameplay and reading articles about the game, its looking like a mighty damn fine cupcake with some Halo sprinkles on top. I'm very exited!

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Sure this doesn't have Samus but honestly: This still does look like Metroid Prime to me: Big weird elemental bosses, Chargebeam/plasma cannon and I am pretty sure they will keep the same weapon system from Prime 1/2/3. This game is getting alot of unneeded hate. I look forward to this honestly: It actually is a colorful and most likely non-linear shooter.... Like Doom. ((Which we need a sucsessor to... Doom 4 is okay but... It's really just Brutal Doom 3.5: Something that I won't be egar to buy an XBox One for.))

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
One of my main hopes for this game is that it has a Hunters-esque control scheme. I found the stylus control quite fun.

I worry about stylus control not being in, however, since the bottom screen is a map(yeah Hunters did this too but it was much less detailed) and the Treehouse dudes weren't using stylus when playing. Maybe it's an alternate option?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
This game really doesn't seem like my kind of thing, but the over reactions towards it are blown way out of proportion. Seriously, some of the petitioners are acting like the game just killed their parents.

But I think PR control regarding this game certainly isn't helping matters. Never would I try to compare this game with Wind Waker in terms of controversy, and they shouldn't even pretend that Metroid is one of their healthiest video game franchises when the last game was released five years ago and has been treated as the red-headed stepchild of Nintendo ever since.

Still, I'm expecting it to be a pretty solid shooter at the very least. I don't doubt Next-Level Games's ability to develop good games.

therabbitholenc

We're All Mad Here
I think this game will be okay, but the fact that the wii u has been out this long and Nintendo has not had a team working on a Metroid game is one of the oddest things I have heard.

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
Metroid Prime: Federation will probably be a fun casual multiplayer game but as a 'Metroid' game it really is disappointing. Everyone was expecting a least something like a Metroid Prime Hunters sequel on the 3DS; I know I was. Here's hoping the future Metroid title on NX is something worthwhile. I just hope Samus has a cool cameo/part in Federation Force to make it less disappointing for the fans.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Metroid Prime: Federation will probably be a fun casual multiplayer game but as a 'Metroid' game it really is disappointing. Everyone was expecting a least something like a Metroid Prime Hunters sequel on the 3DS; I know I was. Here's hoping the future Metroid title on NX is something worthwhile. I just hope Samus has a cool cameo/part in Federation Force to make it less disappointing for the fans.
I actually feel like Federation Force is at least going to be pretty similar to Hunters, and given what we've heard about the potential for Sylux's return in a future title, it might be a prequel to Hunters to tell us why Sylux hates the Federation so much. I mean, gameplay-wise, the only thing Hunters did that I don't see Federation Force being able to do is Morph Ball stuff. All Samus collected in Hunters was missile/energy expansions and new weapons, all of which I could see the troopers doing. (Though it has admittedly been years since I played Hunters, so I could be forgetting something.)

I mean, I feel like the reason Hunters was the way it was has to do with the focus on multiplayer, which seems to be sort of where Federation Force is coming from. I'm still a little disappointed personally because Hunters is one of my least favorites in the series, and I don't think there were nearly as many people interested in a successor to that game as just a regular installment, but the more I think about it the more I think this is a continuation of that concept.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The biggest mistake about this game was how Nintendo chose to reveal it. When a series hasn't seen the light of day in five years, and hasn't seen a game the fanbase actually liked in eight years, you don't bring back the series with this. You show the more traditional Metroid game, and then if you want you tack this on afterwards, or wait a bit to reveal it a little whiles later.

Regardless of the game itself, which I'll reserve judgment on (except the art style which I think was a bad decision) Nintendo made a huge misstep in thinking Metroid fans would be thirsty enough that they'd settle for anything.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I actually feel like Federation Force is at least going to be pretty similar to Hunters, and given what we've heard about the potential for Sylux's return in a future title, it might be a prequel to Hunters to tell us why Sylux hates the Federation so much. I mean, gameplay-wise, the only thing Hunters did that I don't see Federation Force being able to do is Morph Ball stuff. All Samus collected in Hunters was missile/energy expansions and new weapons, all of which I could see the troopers doing. (Though it has admittedly been years since I played Hunters, so I could be forgetting something.)
Apart from the expansions and Affinity Weapons in Hunters, there were also the Octoliths, collectible McGuffins guarded by various eyeballs and rotating towers, which Samus needed to activate the plot-advancing Alimbic Cannon and open the final level, the Oubliette. These could be stolen from Samus if an opposing Hunter killed you, but that never happened to me.

I'm hoping this is a Hunters prequel just on the idea that Sylux's segment in Hunters' intro becomes an actual level or boss fight. Hell, it'd be a massive wasted opportunity if they didn't do that.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I never actually played the single player for Hunters, just the elaborate Quake III mod that was the FFA multiplayer. And it was pretty awesome if you could get around the game's bizarre controls.

Surprisingly enough, using the face buttons to move and D-pad to aim actually works really well. Especially on 3DS where you have the circle pad.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
The biggest mistake about this game was how Nintendo chose to reveal it. When a series hasn't seen the light of day in five years, and hasn't seen a game the fanbase actually liked in eight years, you don't bring back the series with this. You show the more traditional Metroid game, and then if you want you tack this on afterwards, or wait a bit to reveal it a little whiles later.

Regardless of the game itself, which I'll reserve judgment on (except the art style which I think was a bad decision) Nintendo made a huge misstep in thinking Metroid fans would be thirsty enough that they'd settle for anything.
They gave us a traditional platformer with Other M, and people threw a **** fit when they found out how awful the framework was. At least FedForce is admitting itself to be a spinoff, Other M was supposed to be canonical and botched itself horribly.

Top Bottom