• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

meteors in brawl

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Meteors stay in, but this becomes the equivalent of shinespiking for all characters to use. A simple jump off the cliff, land on the arc of a returning opponent, meteor jump, and recover. I bet Bowser players will have a hard time getting used to this function.

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
maybe the degree to how fast they are Meteor Spiked varys from character to character.

they could base it off the weight of the spiker. The heavier you are, the faster the opponent falls

ey o!

XenoGuard

Smash Journeyman
Meteors stay in, but this becomes the equivalent of shinespiking for all characters to use. A simple jump off the cliff, land on the arc of a returning opponent, meteor jump, and recover. I bet Bowser players will have a hard time getting used to this function.
Trial and Error as they say:laugh:

rsc_390

Smash Apprentice
Hxd and GreenKirby, i KNOW that meteor smashes are staying. That's not my point.

Thank you, you see my point. They should've taken away the cheapness of a shine spike, not given it to everyone.

-------------

What i was saying was that in brawl, unless Cloudz is right (which I hope), WHY WOULD YOU USE a meteor spike when there's the no-risk alternative of the jump-off-heads mechanic?

rsc_390

Smash Apprentice
Lol, meteor smashes are in brawl. Proof =
you can't be serious Clace...

Did you even read my post? I never once said meteors weren't returning. I just fear that they might be obsolete.

JesterBox

Smash Ace
For some reason I don't think the Stool jump will haver as mush priorty as say and actaully spike. It seems like you can easily stop some one from doing it, even if you can do this jump while both players in mid-air I doubt you can stop things like recovery moves.

It seems like you would be going out of your way to work it into a combo unless you are a fast faller.

cubican62

Smash Cadet
If I try and "meteor" you with a jump, and I miss, I just double jump instead. There's no risk for the attacker!
i agree. the reason i think nintendo did this is so it will make it easier to spike w/ less skill. this i dont agree w/

.ReDLiNE-

Smash Cadet
To Cubican: Yeah, I totally agree with what you said about making spikes easier... and I hope that Nintendo doesn't make too many new and simple tactics like this (although a couple would be fine).

tshahi10

Smash Ace
i feel bad for link and friends.

i dont think this has too much priority more than fox's dair

it looks pretty cool and this may be done on accident more than on purpose

wakka444

Smash Ace
I think we can agree on the fact that meteors are staying and the jump adds a lot to off stage confrontations but what I'm curious about is its practical use in doing combos. If it does any damage would also play into this and the affect it would have on shields because after you do the jump you might be able to do an aerial and if the jump is landed they'll bounce like meteors would typically do to characters when on a stage to do some combos similar to what cpt. falcon does with his dair, along with any other aerial for that specific character.When you bring jiggz with the multiple jumps you could probably bounce that character several times with the jump.It could also be a great set up for further combos like falco does with shffl dair and shines. Or even bring new opportunities to other characters involving pillars(whether or not they'll even exist in brawl we'll see in december). It has its obvious uses but with smash there's tons of other out of the box uses.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
I don't know, the thing that interests me about the foot stool jump...whatever the new update is...

i wanna know if this allows an extra jump? Jump, footstool jump, double jump, up+b...?

if a character could wall jump, that'd be a crazy connection of jumps.

anyway, meteor smashes? i don't see them removed.

shinypaper

Smash Rookie
Seraph. Cool Sig.

So I think this footstool jump would be really useful for edge guarding. Especially if someone is trying to recover from below the stage. You could edge guard and as they are coming up to try and grab the edge, (or in samus/links case try to grab the bottom of the stage with grapple beam/hookshot respectively) you could drop down to where they are while they jump up and then simply jump, give them just a little launch down then you could recover or grab the edge again. Hopefully it's not going to be as strong of a spike as some of the others, like falco's dair or samus'.

Would be cool for FFA's or Team battles when more than one person is recovering too. While trying to get back on, a well timed jump can give you a kill without killing yourself. Looks good.

(As a side note, in the stage update, did anyone else notice mario climbing up the ladder?)

Gaudion

Smash Apprentice
Didn't read over the entire thread, so forgive me if some of this has already been put to rest.

1. Regular Meteor Smashes are going to be back. You can bank on that. The Footstool Jump is a nice addition since it can give characters that don't normally have a means of a Meteor (there were several in the last game, and there are likely to be a few lacking it in Brawl as well) the ability to do it.

2. This is in no way unfair or unbalanced. It's a freaking jump, so it's got no priority and no range. All you'd have to do to counter or avoid this is to use your up+B recovery move and they not only can't touch you, they get hit. Or you can air dodge, or just, hey, make sure you don't get too close to them. And look at it this way: If they're trying to Meteor you with the Footstool Jump then that means they're not Edge Guarding or Edge Hogging. You think people are actually going to do that? Edge Guarding and/or Hogging is more effective and much, much safer, and thus will probably be far more common than Meteor Jumping.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
To all the people worrying that this update renders true meteor smashes and spikes useless: bear in mind that the footstool jump has zero range and probably the lowest possible priority. Plus, you can't start it early and fall into the character as it goes off...you need to be RIGHT on top of them when you use it, since it immediately propels you away from the target, so even the weakest attack will probably be able to prevent it. It's like landing a Rest against an opponent who is already expecting an attack. They could also weaken it in other ways, like having it not send the target down too fast and thus making it easier to cancel out of. It'll be useful for (and against) certain characters, but I don't think it'll be used to the exclusion of the old meteor smashes, or completely negate the advantages of characters who have them.

EDIT: Heh, Gaudion pretty much took the words right out of my mouth as I was typing this.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
LOL, now every character can absolutely **** Captain Falcon's recovery! :-(. I'm not too worried about this, as this is pretty cool overall.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I know this isn't on the "Meteor Smash" topic, but I didn't want to make another thread.

When Yoshi jumps on Wario's head, his whole body compacts. And then, when Yoshi finally jumps, wario's body has to stretch out, then back into it's normal shape.

Don't you think this move will give the recieving player a nasty lag? Looks like it to me.
I'm not complaining though. I think it's a brilliant technique and I'll try to perfect it. The only problem is, some characters will mostlikely and obviously be hardder to jump off, and also some characters footstool jumps will be harder to use than others.

Edit: I just thought about this. In ADV.Mode in Melee, After the first scene you face Mario and Peach or LUIGI and Peach. If you get to face Luigi, it'll show Mario jumping over the castle, but then Luigi steps on his head and pushes him down, while Luigi shoots Up.
Now I'm thinking, if they did that in Melee, how come it wasn't an actual move? Did Sakurai forget about it? Or didn't notice it's move possibilities? Maybe him or someone on his team was playing Melee and noticed this, then pitched his/her idea to Sakurai, and maybe that's how we got the new move. Maybe it was Melee inspired.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
I don't know, the thing that interests me about the foot stool jump...whatever the new update is...

i wanna know if this allows an extra jump? Jump, footstool jump, double jump, up+b...?

if a character could wall jump, that'd be a crazy connection of jumps.
Well, they did announce that brawl would have more air game then melee. Sounds fun.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Maybe Footstool jumping is more effective to use on a grounded person. Perhaps it counters a shielding oppenent and/or maybe it is an answer to a crawling opponent.

In the air it seems that any attack would be the better option. Except in a few cases (like stomping on DK's horizantal recovery or CF's predicatble arch.)

joepinion

Smash Apprentice
I suppose this will be all about weights, right?

If, say, G&W were to jump off of Bowser's head in the air, Bowser would likely be pushed down just a little, and G&W would get a nice vertical boost. But if it was the other way around, G&W would likely get hit way down and Bowser would barely move.

I would think that otherwise it would just look weird.

Also, I love how Yoshi is looking back at Wario as he jumps off of his head.

Gaudion

Smash Apprentice
LOL, now every character can absolutely **** Captain Falcon's recovery! :-(. I'm not too worried about this, as this is pretty cool overall.
Falcon's recovery is an air throw... how is jumping right into him supposed to beat that? That's just asking for a Falcon ****.

Top Bottom