• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meteor Cancelling

J-mar

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, which buttons do you find it easier to meteor cancel with? Up then UpB or either X or Y followed by UpB?

Fletch

Smash Master
"Y", although I cannot remember the last time I had to meteor cancel when I still had a jump left over.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I don't meteor cancel, I edge tech. (no good at meteor canceling). I'm better w/ the SDI and edge/wall tech.

Zaromo

Smash Journeyman
If you have your second jump still and are accustomed to using the jump "buttons" (X and Y) and I would HIGHLY recommend X or Y. However, if you "don't" have your second jump then only the Up B will save you...unless your Yoshi or something! :p

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Use any attack that constitutes for recovery, such as an upB that gives distance or a jump.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You cancel the downward knockback of a meteor by either using a double jump or Up+B at any point AFTER hitlag of a meteor attack.

gunnac

Smash Rookie
hey whats the timing exactly. I mean you cant meteor cancel at ANY point after hitlag. You have to time it right?

10th-Karma

Smash Apprentice
I think you have to wait for like after you're down a body length underneath the player that meteored you and then jump right away. U just need to get familiar w/ it. I suggest to practice w/ another human player and hang off the edge of final D and let someone like ganon or falcon meteor you and meteorcancel.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Here is the process:
1: Get hit (animation finishes)
2: Hit lag (hit lag is the time starting the frame the hitbox connects and lasts a number of frames based on the move. During this time you don't move and can SDI. You know when you get hit by samus' blue ****, you pause a bit after being hit, there are 18 frames of hitlag on that)
3: Now you're in meteor state, a state of being of your character signalling: moving fast downward and any point during it you can meteor cancel. This step is the difference between a spike and a meteor, spikes you tumble instead of being in meteor mode.

Stormblast

Smash Journeyman
No that is a semi spike and cant be meteor canceled.

Meteors are generally all moves that send you straight down.

Spikes like marths and falco's send you down at an angle so there is the difference and they cant be canceled but you can jump and up-b when the hitstun is over but you will probably be dead then :p

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
No that is a semi spike and cant be meteor canceled.

Meteors are generally all moves that send you straight down.

Spikes like marths and falco's send you down at an angle so there is the difference and they cant be canceled but you can jump and up-b when the hitstun is over but you will probably be dead then :p
Not all meteors send you straight down. I'm pretty sure mario's fair is a meteor, and depending on what time of the attack he hits you with, you could go at several angles, as well as straight down.

strider43

Smash Journeyman
...unless your Yoshi or something! :p
If Yoshi begins his second jump it makes him like 100x heavier making it impossible to spike him in any which direction, Unless of course he ends his jump and is falling down.

Top Bottom