• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metallica- Death Magnetic

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I'm liking... most of it. The only thing I don't like are the lyrics, What don't kill you make you more strong...

Also on All Nightmare Long. I didn't know Lars could rock the bass pedals like that. Too good.

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm really digging The Day that Never Comes, which might as well BE the Unforgiven III. I mean, the part where he goes, "No, the sunshine never comes..." sounds like it's ripped straight from Unforgiven II. Plus it sounds like they are working around the same scale they used in the other songs. The first four minutes of the song are outstanding... then there's that interlude. WTF is going on here? lol. The vocals on the song are kind of weak throughout, but it fits the melancholy theme I guess. The solo sounds like an improvisation of One. But I mostly like it.

Haven't taken the time to listen to the others yet.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
well, for a day or 2 the whole album was up on youtube, but they took it down except for the 3 singles. i heard it all, and i love it. honestly, it doesnt have that thrashy metallica feel to it but i havrnt expected that since the black album.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
I downloaded it and to be honest it's good. It's not puppets good but it's definitely good. Favorite track is All Nightmare Long. Definitely worth picking up.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I don't know what's worse, the fact that people today take them seriously, or that people ever took them seriously at all.

Seriously, Unforgiven III? My Apocalypse is currently topping my personal worst of '08.

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
I don't know what's worse, the fact that people today take them seriously, or that people ever took them seriously at all.

Seriously, Unforgiven III? My Apocalypse is currently topping my personal worst of '08.
Unforgiven happens to be one of my favorite songs. And they are taken seriously enough to be in Guitar Hero 4. I think that they are great.

Pengie

Smash Lord
I can understand not taking them seriously post-Black Album but are you seriously saying that Kill em All, Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets aren't amazing albums. They pretty much invented and innovated Thrash Metal with those three albums.

Pengie

Smash Lord
Death Magnetic is pretty far from Thrash. At best it's just heavy metal and I'm being extremely forgiving when I say this. Also Jame's voice is so ****ing bad now.

Lastly I'm going to retract my first statement about My Apocalypse. I just heard it again after listening to some old stuff, it's ****.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I've listened to parts of this album and found it terrible. Just another step along the path of St. Anger.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
If this album sucks, I will never expect something good from Metallica again. Metallica is really over rated and doesn't deserve all this attention.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
its deffinatley not a bad album, its not thrash, and neither is metallica anymore. they reinvented thrash back in the day, its was their contribuition to metal, but now all these years later hetfield doesnt have the voice anymore, kirk is just kinda there, lars is a lil ***** ever since black album, there just plain old metal now. thats whart we can wxpect from them, and that's what death magnetic is. better than that ******* child named st anger, but its just not "thrashy" and it wont ever be as long as lars has any say in anything.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
It's better than their recent, previous outings that's for sure, but I think a lot of the songs last a bit too long.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I really like St.Anger and didn't understand what was so bad about it, I think it was just because it couldn't live up to Master of Puppets and Enter Sandman. I think they're good no matter what, and after listening to these tracks I can stand by that.
I think it was because of bland riffs, lack of solos and a crappy snare drum.

Kaabi

Smash Cadet
its deffinatley not a bad album, its not thrash, and neither is metallica anymore. they reinvented thrash back in the day, its was their contribuition to metal, but now all these years later hetfield doesnt have the voice anymore, kirk is just kinda there, lars is a lil ***** ever since black album, there just plain old metal now. thats whart we can wxpect from them, and that's what death magnetic is. better than that ******* child named st anger, but its just not "thrashy" and it wont ever be as long as lars has any say in anything.
They have definitely changed for good or worse, and I do not think they can come back to thrash metal again, even if Lars leaves the band. Actually, i think it will be the end of Metallica when he leaves :ohwell:

Also, St.Anger (the song, I don't have the album) is pretty bland compared to the older thrash metal tracks. And, since it was supposed to be their successor, it is mostly considered a failure. Although living up to the likes of Master of Puppets is pretty much impossible. Good thing they did not try to top it this time.

So, the general feeling is that Death Magnetic is good stuff? Hmm, it might be worth searching...

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
St. Anger was one of the few albums that could actually give me a head ache by listening to it, and I've listened to some pretty weird/awful ****.

While I'm not a big fan of Metallica, it's good to see them getting back on track with things. I've heard some of Death Magnetic, and it's so much better than St. Anger.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Went to their website and listened to the full album. Or, rather, to as much of each song as I could stand before getting bored. My thoughts.
That Was Just Your Life: Fast and hard, but Hetfield blows chunks.
The End of the Line: Sounds way too similar to the previous track. I mean, with most of Metallica's older tracks, I find it easy to tell them apart. With these two, they sound virtually identical. And Hetfield still sucks.
Broken, Beat and Scarred: Worse and worse.
The Day That Never Comes: This would ordinarily be the second or third single. They forgot the basic order of rock singles. Your first single is something good and hard, then you follow up with a ****ty ballad-like song. And this certainly is ****ty.
All Nightmare Long: ****, where are they getting the names of these songs from? And Hetfield continues to suck. It's like the older he gets, the lamer his vocals get.
Cyanide: When the hell did Metallica start sounding like some ****ty garage death metal band? (though I respect death metal)
The Unforgiven III: Oh, just **** off already. The first one was over-rated enough, the second one wasn't even as good as the first, and now you're doing a ****ing third one? And you make it even ****tier than the others? Dudes, you're just a bunch of ****ing losers now, trying to re-capture your glory days.
The Judas Kiss: Whatever happened to the good old days of Creeping Death? Remember when you wrote Creeping Death? That was awesome. This? Not so much.
Suicide & Redemption: They make it hard to even want to like this album, when they give all the songs these ****ing ******** names. This song does benefit from not having Hetfield's now-awful vocals ****ing it up, but it's still nowhere near as cool as Ktulu or Orion. Those songs had a great feeling. This one just seems like they're showing off how well they play their instruments. The whole album ends up feeling that way.
My Apocalypse: And to close, another ****ty song.

Metallica peaked with Master of Puppets. They've gotten ****tier and ****tier since then, reaching a nadir with St. Anger. While Death Magnetic is better than that musical atrocity, Death Magnetic still sucks. It pales in comparison to Ride the Lightning, or even the Black Album. It sucks because they're trying to reclaim what made them great: namely, playing really fast and really hard. But while that was great when they were in their 20s, that was 20 ****ing years ago. Grow the **** up. Load and Re-Load were good albums (very under-rated, just for the record), because they were more mature than their earlier work. They weren't as good as Lightning or Puppets (I would rank Load and Re-Load 4th and 3rd best Metallica albums, respectively). Then, with St. Anger and this piece of crap, they've tried to regress, and it just ends up sounding crappy and obsolete.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
You'd rank Load and Reload above the Black album and Justice? Although I don't exactly agree, I'd like to see why.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
You'd rank Load and Reload above the Black album and Justice? Although I don't exactly agree, I'd like to see why.
And Justice for all was pretty close if not dead even with them, but I just find load and reload to be more advanced for their time Though you could easily interchange the two in my opinion. The black album takes time but it does eventually grow on you but I liked a majority more of the songs in reload more than the black album.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Oh how I dislike Metallica. The only thing I can thank them for is for turning down Les Claypool at their bassist auditions because, "he was too funky."

He went on to form Primus - which beasts Metallica in every way.

KMB23

Smash Journeyman
Oh how I dislike Metallica. The only thing I can thank them for is for turning down Les Claypool at their bassist auditions because, "he was too funky."

oh wow. thank god they turned him down.
he has been one of my biggest influences for bass.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero

Yet, each band and musicians love each others music, even to this day. Turning down Claypool wasn't an insult, it was a style that the band didn't feel like focusing on at the time, which they then went on to produce what many call the world's finest bubble-gum pop album, The Black Album, and Primus went on to being one of the world's greatest bands.

Why does Metallica always say their from the Bay Area when they're most commonly associated with Los Angeles, anyway? Sure, Kirk (say what we will Spire III, he can play a guitar well) was born here, but still.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
They moved to Bay Area to recruit Cliff Burton but they were originally from L.A.

People ALWAYS say they're from Bay Area when they are MOST COMMONLY associated with L.A.?

Oxymoron much?

Spire

III
BRoomer
oh wow. thank god they turned him down.
he has been one of my biggest influences for bass.
Have you ever gotten the pleasure of seeing him live? I have, thrice, and that's not been enough at all.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
People ALWAYS say they're from Bay Area when they are MOST COMMONLY associated with L.A.?

Oxymoron much?
Metallica, the band themselves, refer to themselves as a Bay Area band, they always fly the flag of San Francisco at concerts, stuff like this, although they were one of the first famous band of the L.A. thrash scene. I should have asked Kirk when I saw him. It was a once in a life time event in San Francisco, my brother recognized him and we sorta talked for a while and wished my brother a happy birthday. He's a nice guy. I just wished we walked into Les or something.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Metallica, the band themselves, refer to themselves as a Bay Area band, they always fly the flag of San Francisco at concerts, stuff like this, although they were one of the first famous band of the L.A. thrash scene. I should have asked Kirk when I saw him. It was a once in a life time event in San Francisco, my brother recognized him and we sorta talked for a while and wished my brother a happy birthday. He's a nice guy. I just wished we walked into Les or something.
I met Les after seeing Primus :)

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Speaking of bass, Cliff Burton was pretty good. Not as fast or crazy as Claypool at his best, but still, above average. Anesthesia(Pulling Teeth) on Kill Em All, I have to say, is a really good instrumental, as well as pre-Black Album Metallica had some cool bass lines.

Ride the Lightning is okay, I guess. Still prefer over lots of other Thrash and overall metal bands over them, though.

Epic @ meeting Claypool. When I was a kid, like eight or nine years I think, I saw the B-52's at a little fair. I had no idea at the time, but then I recognized them later and I'll make **** sure my kids will know who they are by that age. The most recent concert chance I missed were tickets to see Steely Dan pre AND post-show at diner show a Winery for the fifteenth caller. I was fourteen :(

Top Bottom