• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metal. LET'S ROCK!

Lo-Dust

Smash Rookie
Anyone listen to Moonspell? I have just started listening to them and I really like them.
Yeah I started listening to them a couple years ago, back when i was really into Opeth and what have you. What albums have you heard so far?

Exovel

Smash Ace
Opeth... now that's a hit or miss band for me. The album D**nation was incredible, but the rest of it isn't nearly so good. I wish they'd do something like that again.

Squall LeonHeart

Smash Ace
My favorite metal bands are:

Slipknot
Korn
Godsmack
Killswitch Engage
Mudvayne
Disturbed
Pantera
Trivium
Demon Hunter
System of a Down
Megadeth
Stone Sour
Nightwish (I liked their old singer better, imo.)

OwlFlavored

Smash Cadet
My favorite metal bands are:

Slipknot
Korn
Godsmack
Killswitch Engage
Mudvayne
Disturbed
Pantera
Trivium
Demon Hunter
System of a Down
Megadeth
Stone Sour
Nightwish (I liked their old singer better, imo.)
I am extremely tempted to tear that list apart, but I think I'll let someone else do it.

Exovel

Smash Ace
I don't even think I can form the words to properly destroy that list. I am actually in pain. I can't believe someone can listen to Godsmack and think that they are hearing metal. Korn is not metal. Slipknot is not metal. Mudvayne, Killswitch Engage, and Disturbed are NOT metal.

I can honestly say that you have broken the hearts of everyone that likes metal, LeonHeart. It's hard to stomach the thought of me telling someone I like metal and having them think of any of those bands.

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
I'm more of a mainstream Heavy Metal, Classic Rock guy, I remember taking naps in the afternoon while listening to a Metallica MP3 I arranged years ago.

My favorite bands are:

Led Zeppelin - Total versatility in their music, they are the archetype of the metal band.
Black Sabbath - The birth of Black Metal on the lyric's of Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath (never typed Black so many times in a row before).
Judas Priest - This IS Heavy Metal being embraced as the band meme.
AC/DC - Another versatile band, a gap between rock and metal.
Scorpions - Who says Germans can't play metal?, seriously though, many great songs (besides Wind of Change).
Dio - Ronnie James Dio, too much metal for one hand (google this if you don't know).
Metallica - Everything up to The Black Album (maybe even Garage Inc.) is perfect Thrash Metal.
Manowar - What I describe as True Epic (sometimes Viking) Metal.
Mago de Oz - You might not enjoy this as much as it is Spanish metal, but it is one of the best Folk Metal bands I've heard.
Nightwish - Tarja Turunen's Nightwish to be more precise, Siren/Symphonic Metal, great for relaxing.

And the best of the best, one man...

Yngwie Malmsteen.

Squall LeonHeart

Smash Ace
I don't even think I can form the words to properly destroy that list. I am actually in pain. I can't believe someone can listen to Godsmack and think that they are hearing metal. Korn is not metal. Slipknot is not metal. Mudvayne, Killswitch Engage, and Disturbed are NOT metal.

I can honestly say that you have broken the hearts of everyone that likes metal, LeonHeart. It's hard to stomach the thought of me telling someone I like metal and having them think of any of those bands.
I am sorry to say but that is my taste in my music. And since when you speak for everybody? FYI, Slipknot IS metal last that I recall, so is the rest of the bands I have listed. Stop sounding like a elitist and get over yourself.

Exovel

Smash Ace
I am not saying that your taste in music in poor, and I'm not saying that I speak for everyone. I just think that Nu Metal and Punk Metal are not real metal. I guess it came out a bit stronger than I wanted, but I hear people say that Disturbed is a great metal band all the time, and they aren't metal. They may have some metal influence or whatever, but they aren't metal. I'm not asking you to stop liking them, just to know the difference.

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
As far as I know, Nu Metal is an insult, generated by arguments between fans of recent, commercial bands that played a couple of songs that sound quite close to metal (only failing in few aspects, like lyrics or chords) and people that have lived many years of having metal in their lives and quite understand what it is all about.

It's like saying Linkin Park is Metal, read the lyrics and you'll think twice.

OwlFlavored

Smash Cadet
As far as I know, Nu Metal is an insult, generated by arguments between fans of recent, commercial bands that played a couple of songs that sound quite close to metal (only failing in few aspects, like lyrics or chords) and people that have lived many years of having metal in their lives and quite understand what it is all about.

It's like saying Linkin Park is Metal, read the lyrics and you'll think twice.
Nope, it isn't an insult. Nu Metal is a genre of rock... I think the best way to classify it is "Rock + X Factor = Nu Metal" where the "X" can be almost anything from Metal influences (Slipknot, Disturbed), to rap/hip hop influences (Linkin Park)

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Hmmm, lately I haven't listened to that much metal but the few bands I do listen to quite often consist of:

Einherjer
Woods of Belial
Lykathea Aflame
Suffocate for **** Sake
Year of No Light
Trees
Wolves in the Throne Room
Hacksaw to the Throat
Employer, Employee
Teen Cthulhu
Book of Black Earth
The Sawtooth Grin
Coffin Dancer

Just to name a few, heh.

Abigail Williams was amazing when Connor did vocals, but now they suck. :|

Their keyboardist is still awesome, though.

PS Dragonforce....... ;\

OwlFlavored

Smash Cadet
I'm going away for a week starting tomorrow morning, so I've loaded up my mp3 player with music for the week.

Mostly metal music, really.

lycrof

Smash Apprentice
It isn't really metal but anyone know soem good neofolk bands? For example Empyrium, Uaral, Tenhi and Agalloch.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
I saw Meshuggah in concert the other day, it was awesome. However, they were just opening to Ministry, who were a LOT less cool. I can't enjoy a show when a strobe light is constantly flashing at my face.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
I saw Meshuggah in concert the other day, it was awesome. However, they were just opening to Ministry, who were a LOT less cool. I can't enjoy a show when a strobe light is constantly flashing at my face.
Isn't this suppose to be their last tour? That must be later if their playing opening acts.

OwlFlavored

Smash Cadet
This topic can't die like this <_<

I WON'T LET IT!

>_>

Uh, anyone who hasn't heard Therion should check them out.
Their symphonic metal is really awesome.

Exovel

Smash Ace
Therion, huh?

What's a similar artist? I'll look some of it up. I think I can trust your opinion.

Anyone given Dream Evil a listen? A friend showed it to me, and while it may not be the most musically impressive, I have to say that I love "The Book of Heavy Metal" track. That song is so catchy.

OwlFlavored

Smash Cadet
Therion, huh?

What's a similar artist? I'll look some of it up. I think I can trust your opinion.

Anyone given Dream Evil a listen? A friend showed it to me, and while it may not be the most musically impressive, I have to say that I love "The Book of Heavy Metal" track. That song is so catchy.
Similar to Therion? I guess you could put Kamelot as being similar... It's basically Symphonic Power Metal, I would say. Stay away from their really early albums though, unless you like Death Metal.

RE: Dream Evil: Nope, I haven't actually checked them out. I heard one of their songs on a last.fm listening run once, and it prompted me to put their name on a "Check these guys out" list, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Exovel

Smash Ace
Similar to Therion? I guess you could put Kamelot as being similar... It's basically Symphonic Power Metal, I would say. Stay away from their really early albums though, unless you like Death Metal.

RE: Dream Evil: Nope, I haven't actually checked them out. I heard one of their songs on a last.fm listening run once, and it prompted me to put their name on a "Check these guys out" list, but I haven't gotten around to it.
Whaddya mean by "really early"... like which album do they stop with the death metal.

Also, listen to the Book of Heavy Metal on Youtube. It's worth it.

Lord Omikron666

Smash Rookie
Adagio
Symphony X
Kamelot
Nightwish
Mystic Prophecy
Battlelore
Dethklok
Korpiklaani
Dream Evil
Blind Guardian
Rammstein
Jag Panzer
Firewind
Pagan's Mind
Static-X
Epica
Anubis Gate

OwlFlavored

Smash Cadet
Whaddya mean by "really early"... like which album do they stop with the death metal.

Also, listen to the Book of Heavy Metal on Youtube. It's worth it.
I'm pretty sure "Theli" is the album they started doing Symphonic Metal on.

EDIT: And thanks, I'll check out that song on YouTube tomorrow or later on tonight.

battousai555

Smash Ace
I know they've already been mentioned, but Protest the Hero is awesome! Hot Cross is also cool in that they are very technical and the vocals are pretty good.

um... troll post?
That reminds me, Finntroll is an interesting folk metal band. I don't particularly care for them, but I have to listen to them every day (my co-worker has them on his i-pod).

Psychoace

Smash Champion
I know they've already been mentioned, but Protest the Hero is awesome! Hot Cross is also cool in that they are very technical and the vocals are pretty good.

That reminds me, Finntroll is an interesting folk metal band. I don't particularly care for them, but I have to listen to them every day (my co-worker has them on his i-pod).
Trollhammeran is the only song I really like from them, but it's awesome none the less.

Polyamorous

Smash Rookie
I stopped listening to metal a while ago when I learned that loud music messes up your hearing *rolls eyes*. Plus, cops are more likely to pull you over blasting it in your car. But I'm still an Alternative Metal fan. Less screaming, same lovable beat. My list is odd when you group them together but I can only come up with this list.

All That Remains
Heaven Shall Burn
Callenish Circle
Quo Vadis

System of a Down
Breaking Benjamin
Tool
Rise Against

OwlFlavored

Smash Cadet
I stopped listening to metal a while ago when I learned that loud music messes up your hearing *rolls eyes*. Plus, cops are more likely to pull you over blasting it in your car. But I'm still an Alternative Metal fan. Less screaming, same lovable beat. My list is odd when you group them together but I can only come up with this list.

All That Remains
Heaven Shall Burn
Callenish Circle
Quo Vadis

System of a Down
Breaking Benjamin
Tool
Rise Against
Sir, I would like to direct you to THIS VIDEO, and then I would instruct to please LEAVE THE HALL.

OwlFlavored

Smash Cadet
Speaking of video, Owl.... did you ever check out Dream Evil?
Yea, I did. To be honest, I didn't find anything really special about the song I listened to (The Book of Heavy Metal). It seemed rather generic to me.

However, I will "get" an album and listen to it before I form a full opinion.

Top Bottom