• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metal. LET'S ROCK!

OwlFlavored

Smash Cadet
I dropped out of the Metal scene a while ago so sorry if I came off as nub. -_-

And what's wrong with me list? I still love All That Remains.
Nothings really wrong with your list, it just really has no place in a "Metal" topic.
The second part of your list is not metal at all.

Polyamorous

Smash Rookie
SagaKirby said:
SOAD ftw!!
Yes. FTW indeed.

OwlFlavored said:
Nothings really wrong with your list, it just really has no place in a "Metal" topic.
The second part of your list is not metal at all.
Well, technically, it's Alternative Metal. Breaking Benjamin is a prime example of Alternative Rock and Alternative Metal at its best. Even Linkin Park is Alternative Metal. Metal is an expansive genre. What genre of Metal would you like? I actually have a massive list of metal but seeing this thread, I see a lot of screaming vocalists. If you wanna go traditional metal, I'll list ten I can think of on the top of my head that are on my ipod:

1. Guns N Roses
2. Black Sabbath
3. Metallica (I only like Enter the Sandman, sorry fans)
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Tool
6. Slayer
7. Mastodon (should've thought of this in the first place)
8. Velvet Revolver
9. Flyleaf (very mellow but if you want a good mix of pop and metal, here you go)
10. Muse (yes, even Muse)

I can generate a much larger list if you want. =P

OwlFlavored

Smash Cadet
No, it's cool... I keep forgetting that what I consider to be "Metal" is not the definitive definition <_<

Anyways: My collection really doesn't consist of many "Screaming" vocalists... It's got more Power MEtal, Progressive Metal, and Traditional Metal than anything.

Exovel

Smash Ace
Yea, I did. To be honest, I didn't find anything really special about the song I listened to (The Book of Heavy Metal). It seemed rather generic to me.

However, I will "get" an album and listen to it before I form a full opinion.
Like I said, there is nothing musically exciting about the song. I just thought the lyrics were cool, and whenever I hear it, it gets stuck in my head.

~rh

Smash Lord
I've come to a conclusion that Flesh Storm by Slayer is my new theme song for a couple of months.

^^

Sir James

The Doctor
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this progressive metal band yet, but I just started listening to Blotted Science and they kick some serious ***.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
No power metal love :-/

Blind Guardian, Edguy, Iron Savior, Masterplan ftw.

Apocalyptica too, while I'm at it.

OwlFlavored

Smash Cadet
No power metal love :-/

Blind Guardian, Edguy, Iron Savior, Masterplan ftw.

Apocalyptica too, while I'm at it.
Blind Guardian are amazing, I'm listening to Edguy right now (The Piper Never Dies), Iron Savior I have only heard a couple songs by (cover of Iron Maiden's "Running Free", and "Thunderbird") but are awesome from what I've heard, and I haven't checked much Masterplan out.

Meh @ Apocalyptica

My collection is actually mostly power metal <_<

lycrof

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. No power metal love you say. Try
The wierd lord slough feg
Kiuas
Dragonland
Battleroar
Hibria

OwlFlavored

Smash Cadet
Hmm. No power metal love you say. Try
The wierd lord slough feg
Kiuas
Dragonland
Battleroar
Hibria
Yea, I definitely recommend you take his advice and check out Dragonland. They are some pretty amazing power metal.

Sandoggg

Smash Apprentice
power metal is.. interesting.

my favorite would have to be lamb of god. ashes of the wake, as the palaces burn, and sacrament are... all perfect. except the s/t on ashes of the wake.. i never liked it that much. but that's ok, because it's not a real song =D

Exovel

Smash Ace
Well,

I just listened to some Dragonland and some Blotted Science.

Blotted Science is great, but I'm not much into purely instrumental metal. It kept me listening, though, so I'm impressed.

Dragonland was a lot more fun to listen to as an album. I had heard a few tracks here and there and wasn't impressed. I figured I'd give them another look when they were mentioned here, so I broke my golden rule and downloaded Starfall. The album was a lot better than expected, so now I have all four albums on the way... thank you Amazon. Anyway.... that's all I got.

OwlFlavored

Smash Cadet
Well,

I just listened to some Dragonland and some Blotted Science.

Blotted Science is great, but I'm not much into purely instrumental metal. It kept me listening, though, so I'm impressed.

Dragonland was a lot more fun to listen to as an album. I had heard a few tracks here and there and wasn't impressed. I figured I'd give them another look when they were mentioned here, so I broke my golden rule and downloaded Starfall. The album was a lot better than expected, so now I have all four albums on the way... thank you Amazon. Anyway.... that's all I got.
I would have recommended you only get Starfall and Astronomy, but I haven't given the other two albums much of a chance yet... I predict that you will love Astronomy right off the bat, and you already like Starfall. Holy War and Battle on the Ivory Plains you might not really like as much the first couple listens, but chances are, they will grow on you with enough listening.

I've only listened to each of those two once, so I'm not entirely sure.

Exovel

Smash Ace
Well, Holy War is in....

I have to say I enjoyed it. Overall it isn't as strong as Starfall, but I think it has some great tracks. The rest should be here soon, so I hope they keep it up.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I LOVE Metal. I only really consider a band metal if the singer can actually sing well. If they have cookie monster or pterodactyl vocals, then they are hardcore and are therefore not metal and in my opinion terrible. It disappoints me that in America that this horrible music has overtaken metal with melody. I love classic metal such as Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, etc and power metal. I just see power metal as a continuation of the old awesome metal. Incredible riffs, awesome singers who can sing incredibly well, face melting guitar solos and lyrics that are closer to older metal. If you go to Sirius or XM and go to the "metal" channel, every band has the word blood or corpse or death or some macabre thing. However, power metal sings of Circles and Rings, Dragons and Kings, as Dio so put it.

All power metal fans must check out Avantasia. The Metal Opera part one is one of the best albums I have ever heard. Their second album the Metal Opera part two is also good but not as incredible as the first, and the third album, The Scarecrow is awful. Do not buy it. Tobias Sammet sold out and turned Avantasia into a pop rock band. But their first album is some of the best song writing out there.

OwlFlavored

Smash Cadet
I LOVE Metal. I only really consider a band metal if the singer can actually sing well. If they have cookie monster or pterodactyl vocals, then they are hardcore and are therefore not metal and in my opinion terrible. It disappoints me that in America that this horrible music has overtaken metal with melody. I love classic metal such as Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, etc and power metal. I just see power metal as a continuation of the old awesome metal. Incredible riffs, awesome singers who can sing incredibly well, face melting guitar solos and lyrics that are closer to older metal. If you go to Sirius or XM and go to the "metal" channel, every band has the word blood or corpse or death or some macabre thing. However, power metal sings of Circles and Rings, Dragons and Kings, as Dio so put it.

All power metal fans must check out Avantasia. The Metal Opera part one is one of the best albums I have ever heard. Their second album the Metal Opera part two is also good but not as incredible as the first, and the third album, The Scarecrow is awful. Do not buy it. Tobias Sammet sold out and turned Avantasia into a pop rock band. But their first album is some of the best song writing out there.
I stopped taking your post seriously when you said "cookie monster or pterodactyl vocals"...

In metal with "Harsh Vocals," the vocals aren't supposed to be taken as singing so much as they are another instrument. You may think they are terrible, and I don't particularly like harsh vocals either, but I can look past them if the music is good enough.

I do agree with you that Power Metal is awesome, but you get pretty much the same ratio of bands that suck to the bands that are actually good as you do in any other genre.

Yes, Avantasia is amazing. However, The Scarecrow is not "awful." The only thing I really dislike on the album is that the guest vocalists don't get enough singing time, because Tobias, for some reason, feels the need to sing at least 51% of the time on each song.
Sure, there are a couple of songs that I choose not to listen to, but the majority of the disc is amazing.

Here is my take:
GOOD/AWESOME
Twisted Mind
The Scarecrow
Shelter From The Rain
Another Angel Down
The Toy Master
Devil in the Belfry
I Don't Believe in Your Love

MEH/BAD
Carry Me Over
What Kind of Love
Cry Just A Little
Lost in Space

So there you go... You are missing out on 7 awesome songs if you dismiss the entire disc as crap because of four songs. Besides, Carry Me Over could almost pass as a typical Avantasia ballad.

EDIT: Though The Scarecrow was my first Avantasia album, so I didn't have the earlier albums to compare it to. I think you (Hoots) will like the album more if you try and look at it outside the rest of Avantasia's discography.

lycrof

Smash Apprentice

Deathcore =/= all of metal

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I know Deathcore does not equal all of metal which is why I said that I really do not consider it metal. For me singing is a HUGE part of a song and it always disappointed me when I hear a song with a really good riff and all of a sudden some ******* starts shrieking like hes pretending he's a ghoul or something. Completely RUINS the song for me. Oh my god, like Children of Bodom's cover of Hallowed be thy Name. Biggest disgrace to maiden EVER.

I agree that Tobias sings way too much. He hardly gives any time for the other singers in his album. I really wish Kai Hansen got more singing time. He is awesome. Even when Tobias doesn't technically sing in a song he still give himself credit for it. Look at Glory of Rome on the first album. You have the three guest singers who play the evil Catholics singing all the verses and bridges and then a chorus singing the chorus, yet he credits Gabriel/Himself singing it.

It just disappointed me that even though he is incredible at writing songs, Tobias just wanted to make more money. When I heard there would be a third Avantasia album I was so freakin excited... until I saw the music video for Carry Me Over. You can imagine my horror and disgust when listening to that piece of crap. I suppose there could be some decent songs on the Scarecrow but it still doesn't mean that Tobias didn't sell out.

Top Bottom