• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metaknight...

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
As we all know there's a poll going on right now about the Metaknight ban issue. I was just curious and wanted to know how people here on the Lucas boards felt about Metaknight, the ban, and if you think it would really benefit Lucas in the long run if Metaknight were to be banned.

Discuss?

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
It depends on how Lucas does on the entire top tier and high tuer crowd. If Lucas does bad against Meta Knight but does better with the other characters, it's a benefit. But it'll hurt him if it's vice-versa.

Rachmaninav89

Smash Apprentice
I'd be curious as to see what happens to the metagame if metaknight were banned. I would say I was for the ban, because of curiosity haha. I don't really have much matchup experience against metaknight since none of my friends main him, and we all think he's easy to use so there's nothing special in being good with metaknight. I read the pro-ban and anti-ban arguments, and I felt like the pro-ban side had a better argument for it. Then people were like if metaknight were to be banned there would be an overswarm of ice climbers, or snakes, etc. But most people don't have the patience to get the timing of the ice climbers down, so I would doubt it in the end. I think it would create more of a variety of characters used in tournaments, and then make the game more enjoyable to watch, because in all honesty I think watching metaknight is among the most boring of matches. So there's my 2 cents. =D

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Metaknight being banned means a lot more Diddy and Snake players atleast in the midwest. Both of which are just as hard if not harder than Metaknight for Lucas.

It's not like Metaknight mains are going to all switch to a character that is actually difficult to learn lol. They would just learn another top tier character and start ****** with them.

Pro ban's argument has a lot of big words and a few well edited videos. Anti ban just has common sense and data lol.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Metaknight being banned means a lot more Diddy and Snake players atleast in the midwest. Both of which are just as hard if not harder than Metaknight for Lucas.

It's not like Metaknight mains are going to all switch to a character that is actually difficult to learn lol. They would just learn another top tier character and start ****** with them.

Pro ban's argument has a lot of big words and a few well edited videos. Anti ban just has common sense and data lol.
I wonder why there's more Diddy's?
Shouldnt there be more Wario's, he is 3rd best now??
He's about even with MK and easier to use than Diddy.

I kinda like MK, even though he is a broken character.
He's just too cool!
But i guess the game would be more fair, if there was no more MK.

Its true that the pro MK's secondaries will still **** in tournies
but they wont have the effect that MK had, theres no other character
thats like MK. He's almost flawless and somewhat unbeatable in the right hands.
Snake even has his flaws and has trouble with a few characters
But for MK, no match up is unwinnable for him sadly:(

Levitas

the moon
That's exactly how I feel.

I see overswarm's arguments and ankoku's, and laugh at the difference in the depth of thought.

Ness and lucas lose harder w/ MK than w/o him.

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
I actually don't have much an opinion on the Metaknight ban and probably won't vote, I just honestly don't care, but I am interested in seeing what the effects of not having Metaknight around would be.
I definitely think that Pro Ban made a much more solid argument, but I highly doubt Metaknight will ever be banned.

Wasn't HOBO in Texas? I'm pretty sure Texas is considered South, well last I checked. I'm probably wrong.
Anyways, for those who didn't see the results.
1st Razer(SNAKE) $550
2nd Gnes(DIDDY) $250
3rd Dojo(DIDDY/KIRBY) $100
4th Fliphop(DIDDY) $50
5th Lee M(LUCARIO) $25
5th MikeHaze (MARTH) $25
7th UTD Zac(G&W)
7th Bwett (YOSHI/D3/DIDDY)
Crazy amount of Diddy going on there.

I think if Metaknight is gone, we might see more Marth's and Game and Watch's come up competitively and that wouldn't be great for us. Our results might get better, but overall I don't see a dramatical rise in Lucas' tournament placings.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
We have to remember that right now there's a bunch of diddys because of MK, because it was one of the few even matchups... Over time the meta-game will redevelop w/o MK

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Quite a few of MK mains said they would switch to Marth if MK got banned, yuck.
I'd love it if MK got banned just because I wouldn't have to deal with him anymore, but if that also means more Marths and Diddys, then... I'm pretty unsure. x_x
I know MK from top to bottom anyways, so maybe I could be better off with him sticking around.

iTidus

Smash Cadet
**** like most people i'm on that curiosity level i've played a few MK's and most of there moves you can just pkFire out of *there B moves that chip dmg* but to some other characters he's basically a zangief from SF4 >_> completely banned lol just throw down the controller once vrsing him. like rocket said diddy's use diddy's to go against meta knights as annoying as it is to vrs a diddy we can win that match up so they're prolly going to be prone to using another character bu if we were to bann a character based on whats a better/worse matchup for us i'd say my money is on falco/ddd/ice climbers and if it would be to ban a moveset from there movesets i would say the grab release lol >_<. what would you guys say would be the character(s)/moveset(s) you'd remove?

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
I'll third that. Banning MK is supposed to help the metagame. How will a flood of Falcos, Snakes, and Diddys help the meta?

People like M2K will just switch to another high tier, and continue winning as they do now.

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
I'll third that. Banning MK is supposed to help the metagame. How will a flood of Falcos, Snakes, and Diddys help the meta?

People like M2K will just switch to another high tier, and continue winning as they do now.
False.

Fact: If Metaknight is banned, Jason has said he'll quit the game. He says he only has fun playing this game with Metaknight because the character allows him to play as aggressive as he wants. He won't play D3 anymore because he doesn't enjoy just going for the grab and having to stand there for hours on end..., yes hours >.>

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I'd really like to know what "helping the metagame" means. It really doesn't even make sense.

People complain about stupid things about Metaknight. Like they say the metagame is overcentralized on him because people focus new strategies just on beating him. In Melee people figured out a way to kill Marth just by shielding lol. Not to mention 0 to death combos on Fox which were developed and perfected. It's unreasonable to think people aren't going to focus new strategies on beating the most common and most threatening character regardless of what that character is.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
The reason why people aren't using other people right now is because MK so most people will just use him... but since everybody else will have BAD MATCH-UPs they'll take advantage of that... then people will switch to who ever that match up is and so on and so forth... it's called an actual Meta-Game

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
What constitutes a "healthy" or "better" metagame?

If it's that it is constantly evolving then I could make a very easy argument that Brawl's metagame is very healthy with Metaknight.

The pro-ban argument focuses on the fact that people focus strategies on how to beat Metaknight, the idea that many people use MK as a secondary to deal with bad matchups and character diversity as evidence that MK is "bad" for the metagame.

I can argue against the first point by our very own Lucas boards whose main discussions tend to focus on Marth and more recently Snake far more than Metaknight. Not to mention the statements I made earlier about the lengths people went in Melee to deal with Fox and Marth. Picking Metaknight as a secondary, although it may make sense in mid and low levels of play is rarely as succesful as people want to think it is in high levels of play. Metaknight doesn't hard counter every character by a long shot. And I don't see how character diversity is a necesity at all for a healthy metagame and is already shot to hell anyway by the recent Metabanned results of HOBO.

Top Bottom