• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Status

Kanunuu

Smash Cadet
Is sheik still the best character in the game? If not where does she stand?

In my personal opinion she is like somewhere in the middle of top tier.

OathToAwesome

Smash Cadet
Seeing as ZSS and Bayo also received significant nerfs, I think Sheik is more than likely still the best in the game. The essential loss of the dthrow 50/50 sucks, but we still (probably, need rigorous testing and all that) have fthrow -> instant/delayed BF offstage and fthrow -> uair/usmash onstage as 50/50 kill setups, plus usmash on landings and ftilt setting up for a 50/50 identical to dthrow's. Since needles still have the same great frame data and solid range, we still shut down most characters in the neutral. The only noteworthy MU this patch made much harder is Diddy (and maybe Cloud), since now it's slightly harder to keep him from getting a banana with needles and his kill power is more of an advantage.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
She pretty much got diddy'd, in the sense that she got a ****ing huge nerf but still probably very viable.

Only time will tell.

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Fair, needles, throws, and weight nerfed. And just to kick us while we're down we get a buff to dsmash. Well....at least they didn't buff burst grenade instead.

OathToAwesome

Smash Cadet
It's definitely a shame that grenade still sucks, lmao.

So if this patch does make Sheik no longer the best, what matchups do we lose now?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166

So if this patch does make Sheik no longer the best, what matchups do we lose now?
I'd speculate Ryu, Rosa, Pikachu, Lucario, and possibly Sonic. And a lot of 60:40-55:45 mus are now probably even.

keeping an eye on yoshi as well.

Kanunuu

Smash Cadet

I'd say quite a few. Diddy, zss, fox, cloud, sonic probably. Pikachu too. Ryu. Most if no all the top tiers if you think about it.

Skydra

Smash Cadet
Agreed that the Lucario and Ryu matchups are going to be significantly tougher now. Its hard to say about the rest of the cast, Pika is now way more likely to kill off a throw and rage may be way more significant in most matchups. I don't expect Diddy to be too hard. I'm still erring on the optimistic side so for the time being I'm not too worried about losing the other matchups, although if anything its at least closer to even.

Hoping that these "new kill confirms" void mentioned on twitter exist somewhere.

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
Guys, someone can explain me what was nerfed about fair hitbox? What means "Z defensive position"?

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
Guys, someone can explain me what was nerfed about fair hitbox? What means "Z defensive position"?
Ignore the defensive part because both the defensive and non-defensive parts got the same change.
Z is referring to the Z-axis, in the context of 3D space: X, Y, and Z. Basically, fair has less range right now.

*signature*

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
Ignore the defensive part because both the defensive and non-defensive parts got the same change.
Z is referring to the Z-axis, in the context of 3D space: X, Y, and Z. Basically, fair has less range right now.

*signature*
Ah ok. Thanks.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
Sheik is no longer the best character in the game. A character that had huge trouble killing has had it's best kill option taken away from them.
We now slightly lose or go even with almost all top tiers, and several high tiers.

Basically, we have to step it up and find some more ways to kill.

Last edited:

bastula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
secretanchitman
3DS FC
0130-1885-4238
Switch FC
SW-2373-3239-8999
Still top tier in my book! I don't think she was severely nerfed that she totally sucks now, but I agree with Simikins in that we have to figure out new ways to KO (which we will).

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
I feel like sometimes people forget Sheik's edge guarding game and Bouncing Fish kill setups

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
I feel like sometimes people forget Sheik's edge guarding game and Bouncing Fish kill setups
Problem is needles to bouncing fish is obvious, if sheik is in that position then that is really her only option, she cant mixup into something else. As long as they know of the option then we have to be really tricky to ever land that. Soft nair to bf is the only other true bf kill combo, which requires a roll read or getup read and let's just say it is situational at best.

There are some things like utilt to bf at the ledge at very specific percents on specific characters, but that's not really worth mentioning.

It is true that Sheik is pretty much going to rely on denying recoveries with stale fairs which kill at 160+% when sweet spotted. Characters that are nearly un-edgeguardable like ZSS are going to run circles around us.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I will be a horrible person and surrender of the character until new stuff is discovered.
By the way, I think she is around 7th at the game right now ...
I just... I was already don't liking playing her that much in this last month, but at least she was powerfull enough to keep me going.
I would love to discover something from UThrow or some stuff like that.

There's so many MU's that will become the meaning of stress.
I'm not so sad by the nerf, but about how it happened and where it happened.
Needles needed to go, and they're actually still pretty good.
Vanish nerf that we got before was kind of acceptable.
Needles + weight reduction was enough.
Lose the DThrow setup was stupid. And the DSmash buff.
I would (REALLY) rather never read about the DSmash buff.
I just will pretend it didn't happened, from everything they could do to damage control the nerf... DSmash...
I'm done. I wish GREAT luck for every single Sheik main.

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
I will be a horrible person and surrender of the character until new stuff is discovered.
I just... I was already don't liking playing her that much in this last month, but at least she was powerfull enough to keep me going.

I just will pretend it didn't happened, from everything they could do to damage control the nerf... DSmash...
I won't need luck. Got second at a weekly vs a ryu I lose to alot. Still lost but game 5, last hit last stock.

Smh to all who are dropping her because she's less stagnant. Brawl sheik was certainly better, but I'm going to continue taking her far. Now I can shut people up when I beat them. "Huh, I still won. What needs to be nerfed next?"

Who cares if she isn't the best anymore. Doesn't mean **** to me when I can still be a top player using her. Now I can be unique again.

Ofc I'll find data for her combos and make a thread for em. I've been an ambassador for this character too long to quit. 1.1.5 sheiks now have my full respect.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
I won't need luck. Got second at a weekly vs a ryu I lose to alot. Still lost but game 5, last hit last stock.

Smh to all who are dropping her because she's less stagnant. Brawl sheik was certainly better, but I'm going to continue taking her far. Now I can shut people up when I beat them. "Huh, I still won. What needs to be nerfed next?"

Who cares if she isn't the best anymore. Doesn't mean **** to me when I can still be a top player using her. Now I can be unique again.

Ofc I'll find data for her combos and make a thread for em. I've been an ambassador for this character too long to quit. 1.1.5 sheiks now have my full respect.
I have 2 phases after any sizable nerf.
Phase 1: Be sad and moan, explain to people why some of it was stupid, get annoyed at all the people who are glad, sit around wishing it didn't happen.
Phase 2: **** that I play sheik the coolest character in the game I'm just gonna find more cool stuff.

After 2 days I'm entering phase 2. Here we go bois.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
Well, I want to pick up sheik now that she is nerfed. Is that respectable? I have been wanting to play her for a looongg time but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
Well, I want to pick up sheik now that she is nerfed. Is that respectable? I have been wanting to play her for a looongg time but I couldn't bring myself to do it.
It just means you care way too much about what people think about you lol
If you waited this long to play her because she was a top tier then you missed her in her prime.

Unrelated, but it blows my mind that some people still think she is the best. Do you realize how much better than every other top tier she would have had to be for that to still be the case? Some people must have legitimately thought of her as a Brawl MK or Melee Fox.

Last edited:

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
If you waited this long to play her because she was a top tier then you missed her in her prime.

Unrelated, but it blows my mind that some people still think she is the best. Do you realize how much better than every other top tier she would have had to be for that to still be the case? Some people must have legitimately thought of her as a Brawl MK or Melee Fox.
Well of course she was Meta Knight! 'Cause people used her a lot, and, uh, people use Meta Knight a lot, and, uh, she's good... and stuff.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke

What are you trying to say here? I didn't play her because there would be absolutely no point in playing her alongside Greninja because she could just be my main. I don't care about tiers, but I do care about matchups and whether doing something is pointless or not. Who said I thought she was still number 1?

Edit: Nevermind I reread your statement

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015

Bye Falisha.

Kanunuu

Smash Cadet
Imo, in a game with stupidly strong characters and rage, she will probably never secure the first stock. I personally think she will lose (hard) to every character she can't edgegaurd. Especially once word gets out that you can just sit in shield at high percents. I'd put her in high tier at best

Topskunium

Smash Rookie
Imo, in a game with stupidly strong characters and rage, she will probably never secure the first stock. I personally think she will lose (hard) to every character she can't edgegaurd. Especially once word gets out that you can just sit in shield at high percents. I'd put her in high tier at best
Uhh... Fthrow to BF is a 50/50 offstage, and Fthrow to Uair/Usmash is a 50/50 on the stage... And if your opponent DIs for Fthrow, a Bthrow BF will kill offstage.

I also think I've seen VoiD pull off Dthrow to Bf of all things against ZeRo.

You most definitely should not give in to grabs even with the Dthrow 50/50 gone. Us Sheik mains have a knack for finding a solution when one is taken away from us.

But yeah, Rage sucks. No denying that. We still strong though. Atleast top 5

Top Bottom