• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

meta knight vs DK

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
this matchup is probably one of meta knights worst matchups.
DK is big but he is not slow.. he can keep up with mk's speed and attacks decently.
meta knight is in the lightest weight class in the game and DK is in the heavier weight class.

as anyone who plays meta knight notices .. he has no strong kill moves.. especially against these heavy weight characters. they can basically survive up to 150 % at times unless you get off a gimp.

another tough problem is edgeguarding.. his up b will out prioritize all of your attacks making it impossible for you to get off an easy edgeguard against him.

meta knight being such a light weight character can be killed at 70% with ANY of DK's smash attacks.
which means that it is incredibly harder to get off one of DK's stocks than it is for DK to kill mk.
anyone who has a lot of skill and has practice against DK post here trying to find ways to beat him.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
The first thing you want to keep in mind that Meta will have some struggle against heavy set characters like Dedede, Bowser, Snake, and DK. This is because that due to their heavy weight, they can witstand damages more then average and would be hard on a low kill character like Meta.

Now, when it comes to DK, remember that he's big, so do your best to take advantage of it.Spacing is needed in this matchup IMO because several of his moves are slightly quick and have range (like his Dsmash). DK's Dsmash has some range, so be careful when near him after doing a move that'll leave Meta open. Go at him with Fairs, Nairs and Bairs.

Oh yeah, I'm guessing you know that DK's standard B has a super armor right? It starts as soon as the move is made, so take caution when he's fully charged. The Forward B and Fsmash/Dsmash/fully charged punch is nasty if you're stuck on the ground ><

in terms of recovering, what I do is sometimes let him recover back on the stage. Several of the times they'll land on the stage and if they're slightly hovering the ground, they'll land in their landing animation, which is DK falls on his back. That's when I punish him with maybe a Up B or a Dsmash. You can also hover over his head and Dair him to the other side, or Dair him at the under or edgeside of the stage for a gimp.

Platform stages can screw up DK because you're abusing his size with Uairs and the such, so I would reccomand Battlefield for that stage.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
yea, that's true rockkin.. but playing DKs like BUM and any other really smart DK is too much trouble cuz of the matchup.. i just cant kill cuz they have that much percent on them and most DKs in NYC are technical and have great DI soo.. its such a drag.

i try to glide attack.. no that aint happening shield D SMASH lmao .. even if i try to immediately grab after glide attacck they would sometimes side step it... then kill me

DKs will usually use their up b far away from me though to avoid getting daired..

about spamming bair fair and nair at him .. doesnt work so mch his bair goes throughh them all really....

RATED

Smash Lord
I can help u I play agaisnt a DK every day

1. if he overabuse with dtlit then use fair and dair spacing it very exactly

2. don't run to him when he is recovering

3. when he uses the b punch charged when u see the thing in his head, don't get afraid, just dash to him with a timing that u can get back of him that will make DK throw the punch.

4. Use the speed movement advantage mk is fast and the stage is urs. so if u move around the stage and out of it and then aproach acordingly in the correct moment he will be easy.

5. GRABS that make dk suffer, dgrab but not all the time , bcuz he will DI to the same direction so use the very ocaccional bgrab and fgrab.

6. the ftilt has great range , but ur fair can make it agaisnt that with spacing.

I hope that I could help u with these tips

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
DK's not as bad of a matchup as you think. Keep your distance from DK, and reach out at him with ftilts and retreating fairs. DK has range, but his hitboxes are not disjointed, so you can attack his arms and hands right after he finishes his dsmash and fsmash granted you keep your distance, and mindgame DK into using one of his smashes. Once you land a ftilt or a fair, DK's your cutting board. When DK's trying to recover let him, but keep close. That way, you you can attack him right out of his up B. Keep your kill moves fresh, so that you can kill him at around 130%, or if you can land a charged fsmash on him, you can kill him as low as 110%.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
ok, both of u said to spam f air but even if i do... DK has a lot of priority with his b air....i would get out prioritized every time...
also.. against a very smart player it is extremely hard to get out an f smash... forget about getting off a charged one lol.
i will keep working on this matchup though... does anyone have any idea on a counter stage?
IMO id normally go rainbow cruise... but DK players always ban it against me..

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's because due to the state he was at in melee, we savor whenever we have an advantage against a character.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
also.. against a very smart player it is extremely hard to get out an f smash... forget about getting off a charged one lol.
its funny, i think it lands more on the better players. bad/mediocre players tend to have bad timing... and they will often shield rather than dodge the Fsmash... When I play good players, they sometimes spotdodge like it was a dsmash, and the startup lag is just right to smash them in the face after.

Veggi

Smash Champion
The first thing you want to keep in mind that Meta will have some struggle against heavy set characters like Dedede, Bowser, Snake, and DK. This is because that due to their heavy weight, they can witstand damages more then average and would be hard on a low kill character like Meta.

Now, when it comes to DK, remember that he's big, so do your best to take advantage of it.Spacing is needed in this matchup IMO because several of his moves are slightly quick and have range (like his Dsmash). DK's Dsmash has some range, so be careful when near him after doing a move that'll leave Meta open. Go at him with Fairs, Nairs and Bairs.

Oh yeah, I'm guessing you know that DK's standard B has a super armor right? It starts as soon as the move is made, so take caution when he's fully charged. The Forward B and Fsmash/Dsmash/fully charged punch is nasty if you're stuck on the ground ><

in terms of recovering, what I do is sometimes let him recover back on the stage. Several of the times they'll land on the stage and if they're slightly hovering the ground, they'll land in their landing animation, which is DK falls on his back. That's when I punish him with maybe a Up B or a Dsmash. You can also hover over his head and Dair him to the other side, or Dair him at the under or edgeside of the stage for a gimp.

Platform stages can screw up DK because you're abusing his size with Uairs and the such, so I would reccomand Battlefield for that stage
I'd actually have to disagree here, when I play DK, I always make it so that I abuse the SA frames if they come at me and if they don't I make it so I always sweetspot the edge. Hovering over his up b range is a good idea though.

Also DK is a platform **** character.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
its funny, i think it lands more on the better players. bad/mediocre players tend to have bad timing... and they will often shield rather than dodge the Fsmash... When I play good players, they sometimes spotdodge like it was a dsmash, and the startup lag is just right to smash them in the face after.
yea, it could work sometimes if they mess up the timing but still .. it doesnt always work...

I'd actually have to disagree here, when I play DK, I always make it so that I abuse the SA frames if they come at me and if they don't I make it so I always sweetspot the edge. Hovering over his up b range is a good idea though.

Also DK is a platform **** character.
yea, true DK is actually really good on platform stages >__<

Top Bottom