• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta-Knight, speed vs power

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
Just as stated above, MetaKnight does have speed, but his killing potential is very minimal despite how many videos you have seen. MetaKnight as a character has average speed, but his attacks come out faster than any character I have seen at this point. His aerial game would actually have to be his weakest aspect because of his lack of air manueverability.

I found it very difficult to survive when I was above my opponent as well, for I owuld have to use either his neutral B or Side B to ground myself again. but MetaKnight his a fairly good character when it comes to survival. The games Mechanics make it extremely difficult to kill at percentages below the 100% cap, so MetaKnight only has an advantage in the damage field.
W.Jr, this is directed at you. read before posting

Uforia77

Smash Cadet
MK will have insane speed, attack wise, and will be able to compete fairly well with everyone else in a foot race... after all, people still liked fox's blaster in melee and that did no knockback whatsoever... i think MK's sword will do slightly more damage then that blaster as well

smashbot226

Smash Master
Maybe so, but does that change the fact o the matter that MK's weaknesses are:

1. Has no projectile or sufficient defense for them.

2. Like many said, relies on edgeguards for kills.

3. All that footwork and very little "oomph."

4. Though you may get away with some power hits and cheap shots, MK lives breathes, and eats combos, aerial and on the ground.

However, I am willing to acknowledge the possible strengths for these disavantages.

1. With his speed and BV, requiring some skill on your part, this is defense enough for him.

2. His speed, aerial capabilities, and fast attacks make him an edge WALL.

3. With all that footwork, hit n runs, dodging entrances, and BV will let him through many defenses.

4. Like 2, his speed and aerial capabilities help him here.

However, MK fans, there can be no possibility for a loophole for these:

1. His weight. He is floaty and can be launched into the air like a volleyball. This and his lack of a projectile attack force MK into a close up game, and against almost every char, this spells doom for MK. If he gets even smashed once, this could spell the end for him..

2. His Final Smash. Looking through the one hit kill popularity, it is awkward to land. Your foe will need to be in front of you and somewhat in the air to utilize this properly. Other one hit KO FS's like Ike's are sure fire hits at close range, which require the foe to be only in front of him, and even then, you can juggle all three opponents at once if you are able to. With MK's, you'll need luck.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
smashbot you mentioned his aerial abilties twice, while we had established earlier he has a weak aerial game. also you mentioned his weight. I'm sure you know the new game mechanics make it hard to kill anybody, below 100%, but the vids suggest he can stick it out almost as well as mario.

CoolSonic

Smash Rookie
MK vs Bowser = Bowser going "Stop poking me with your sword of death and let me hit you allready!!! Arg!"
So, as you see, Mk = prue pwnage.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
As observed by various gameplay he does have a defense for projectiles, this is shown when he puts his cape/wings over himself and becomes temporarily invisible, see the E3 video if you want full detail on how it happens outside of the main game...

Maybe so, but does that change the fact o the matter that MK's weaknesses are:

1. Has no projectile or sufficient defense for them.
His Neutral B has prioriy over projectiles.

2. Like many said, relies on edgeguards for kills.
His attacks inflict massive damage to the point where your opponent must become defensive. MetaKnight just needs to inflict damage, and that can be done easily

3. All that footwork and very little "oomph."
Forward B = 30% average

F-tilt = 15 % average

Fair = 16% average

Bair = 14% average

Neutral B = 20% average

U-smash = 20% average

These are just a few of his moves that come out quick and inflict damage

4. Though you may get away with some power hits and cheap shots, MK lives breathes, and eats combos, aerial and on the ground.
MetaKnight doesn't get combo'd as easy as you think. He his light + Easy DI away due to extreme freeze frames = hard to combo.

However, I am willing to acknowledge the possible strengths for these disavantages.

1. With his speed and BV, requiring some skill on your part, this is defense enough for him.
His Down B isn't a good defensive tool in the air or on the ground.

2. His speed, aerial capabilities, and fast attacks make him an edge WALL.
True, but it would be difficult due to MetaKnight's lack of post air manueverability. His air game is good, but it's complicated.

3. With all that footwork, hit n runs, dodging entrances, and BV will let him through many defenses.
Like I said: His Down B isn't good. Just spot dodge.

4. Like 2, his speed and aerial capabilities help him here.
Ok...

However, MK fans, there can be no possibility for a loophole for these:

1. His weight. He is floaty and can be launched into the air like a volleyball. This and his lack of a projectile attack force MK into a close up game, and against almost every char, this spells doom for MK. If he gets even smashed once, this could spell the end for him..
Not really. MetaKnight can actually live beyond the average percentage. I lived with MetaKnight up to percentages of 180% due to DI, which is fairly easy to do. MetaKnight is a character that really isn't in the need of a projectile to be effective with. MetaKnight, for some reason, can actually live longer than the average light weight character.

2. His Final Smash. Looking through the one hit kill popularity, it is awkward to land. Your foe will need to be in front of you and somewhat in the air to utilize this properly. Other one hit KO FS's like Ike's are sure fire hits at close range, which require the foe to be only in front of him, and even then, you can juggle all three opponents at once if you are able to. With MK's, you'll need luck.
The cape on MetaKnight's Final smash is actually greatly disjointed from what I experianced in the demo. It's not as difficult to land as described in the update and comes out quite fast. Another thinf that people didn't know is that the start up lag for the attack was cut in half when executed in the air. Basically, you can do it after a short hop and land it easily.

HaXer

Smash Cadet
UBER speed... Get now Powerthrist

I like the speed, Because with that u can't get hitted by someone. You are uber with the speed just fast attack like attack shield attack Retreat. Like that kind. U can rule with the Uber speed.

If u are slow bowser u try attack Enemy avode and attack back. Too simple.

Oh the mk Is samekind as kirby he is just dark purple. So he is maybe Not heavy... :(

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
haxer, haxer haxer haxer...

I like the speed, Because with that u can't get hitted by someone. You are uber with the speed just fast attack like attack shield attack Retreat. Like that kind. U can rule with the Uber speed.

If u are slow bowser u try attack Enemy avode and attack back. Too simple.

Why? anyway we covered every single thing you just posted. read the quote below, and post something relevant

Meta's attacks come out fast, but that doesn't make him a fast character. From what I saw, the speed of characters were all fairly similar with the exception of Sonic's amazing dash. Meta Knight's air speed is pretty bad.

And don't think that his Smashes are any good. They're all very weak. Meta himself is "light" but the mechanics of the game (and the unfamiliarity of characters for everyone) made it so I didn't die very easily. I felt like I could survive forever compared to Kirby. ;)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
The topic of this thread is sort of silly: "Speed vs. Power" because Meta Knight is not outstanding with either.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
IG Meta Knight has no kill moves, Meta Knight would still be PERFECT in Team Battles. One player doing all the damage with Meta Knight, and his team mate finishes the opponent. Thats how me and my cousin decided to do it in online mode.
don't know why i forsee Ike and metaknight as the "ULTIMATE TEAM OF COMPLEMENTARY GODNESS"

but well, as was pointed by smooth criminal I could imagine a metaknight canceling third jumps in a hellish manner....

Darkenedsoul

Smash Cadet
also his normal attack can cntinue for ages though the problem is that his up+b is nothing special.

RedKnight

Smash Ace
He's a great character, though "The Best" is debatable

I think that should clear things up

P.S. I love Meat Knight

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
from what i've heard, i imagine metaknight as shiek's speed and power with links sword and kirby's throws and shape, is that a fair or somewhat accurate assumption?

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
from what i've heard, i imagine metaknight as shiek's speed and power with links sword and kirby's throws and shape, is that a fair or somewhat accurate assumption?

From what's been posted, Metaknight has

1.Average Move speed.
2.Very few kill moves
3.Not quite Link's sword, If your talking about range or speed or power
4. His throws do resemble Kirby's.

tmock90

Smash Rookie
MK is definitely fast enough to dodge all of the attacks anyway with practice haha, MK is definitely one of the fastest we've ever seen in ssb. Also, I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure MK is gonna have a short hop, spike combo, considering many characters with alot of speed do (ex. falco, sheik, marth)... which would take care of the posibility of not having enough power.

B.A.R.S

Smash Cadet
I would have to say that metanight has way more speed than power, he is the type that you just look at and say wow, good combo but u didnt finish him thouh.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
MK is definitely fast enough to dodge all of the attacks anyway with practice haha, MK is definitely one of the fastest we've ever seen in ssb. Also, I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure MK is gonna have a short hop, spike combo, considering many characters with alot of speed do (ex. falco, sheik, marth)... which would take care of the posibility of not having enough power.
..... no... *sigh* ITT, we've already covered that he doesn't have a spike, has average ground move speed, sub-standard aerial ability.

That's completely wrong. He doesn't have a spike, and MetaKnight has a hard time stringing attacks together despite his speed.

He isn't a fast character, it's just his attacks.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Meta Knight doesn't have a spike? That's news to me. I thought everyone in Brawl had one. (Footstool Stomp)

Meta Knight doesn't have a spike? That's news to me. I thought everyone in Brawl had one. (Footstool Stomp)
You caught me off gaurd T!mmy. I meant individual spike?

I actually used the footstool jump on several people as a spike (It's way harder than it looks). I got spiked with it at 0% and was astonished when I was playing with MetaKnight. O_O

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
You caught me off gaurd T!mmy. I meant individual spike?
It's still a possibility that he spikes with his D-air. When I used it, it sent my opponent at a downward angle (diagonally and very slowly) at 40%. I'm not going to argue with anyone that it does or doesn't spike, because I only hit with it once, but that one time spiked.

And this revelation probably doesn't suddenly make Meta Knight uber powerful, either. As I said before, he's always had the Footstool, which I found easier to land than the d-air for some reason. I spiked with it on four separate occasions (all of which resulted in a KO), one of those times was in nealdt's tournament. lol.

It's still a possibility that he spikes with his D-air. When I used it, it sent my opponent at a downward angle (diagonally and very slowly) at 40%. I'm not going to argue with anyone that it does or doesn't spike, because I only hit with it once, but that one time spiked.

And this revelation probably doesn't suddenly make Meta Knight uber powerful, either. As I said before, he's always had the Footstool, which I found easier to land than the d-air for some reason. I spiked with it on four separate occasions (all of which resulted in a KO), one of those times was in nealdt's tournament. lol.
Really? I guess I didn't do enough experiments with that aerial. I mostly liked the priority of the Nair.

But you're right, having an individual move doesn't make MetaKnight a beast, and I hope that everyone here will take notice of this.

Top Bottom