• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta-Knight, speed vs power

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
I'll try my hand at a MK topic. as i hope we've all noticed, MK seems pretty uber on speed, both attacks and movement, but at the same time, will his smashes, which I only saw his Upsmash, give him knockout after hes infinite comboed everyone to death. Also in 1v1, can he compete relying only on his speed vs sombody who's been SERIOSLY beefed up, like boswer. boswers "Koopa-Klaw double backflip bodyslam" seems to send peopole really far at low damage, and I realize this is to balance speed and power but Mk is really really light. will the hype and promising videos let us down if and when he fails miserably? :confused::confused:

:burst: :057:

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight has perfect comboing ability. He's fast. He has an amazing recovery, and is hard to combo. He has incredible priority. How can he not do well in Brawl?

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Because he has very little knockback.
Did you watch any of the videos? His Up and Side smashes deal plenty of knockback. You can see him get most of his kills this way. B moves to rack up damage, smashes to finish the job.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Did you watch any of the videos? His Up and Side smashes deal plenty of knockback. You can see him get most of his kills this way. B moves to rack up damage, smashes to finish the job.
QFT.

And besides, who needs to send somebody hurtling into the wild blue yonder with brute force? Judging from what I have seen from the videos, a highly skilled (and highly developed) Metaknight could probably make sure that you DON'T get back to the edge in any way, shape, or form. I can foresee Metaknight being a virtual deity when it comes to intercepting and edgeguarding mindgames. He doesn't need to hit you hard; a couple of nip/tucks with his sword and you could be sent careening to your doom with no jumps left and/or no hope for recovery.

If you don't follow my example, think about Jiggs in Melee. Imagine that coupled with better moves and insane gliding recovery.

Catch my drift?

Smooth Criminal

P.S. Aryman, Robo-Ky is the shiz. I love your sig. GG FTW.

Shark X

Smash Lord
IG Meta Knight has no kill moves, Meta Knight would still be PERFECT in Team Battles. One player doing all the damage with Meta Knight, and his team mate finishes the opponent. Thats how me and my cousin decided to do it in online mode.

Titan05

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I've heard/seen that its pretty hard for him to take out big guys. Despite the awesome combos.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Meta's attacks come out fast, but that doesn't make him a fast character. From what I saw, the speed of characters were all fairly similar with the exception of Sonic's amazing dash. Meta Knight's air speed is pretty bad.

And don't think that his Smashes are any good. They're all very weak. Meta himself is "light" but the mechanics of the game (and the unfamiliarity of characters for everyone) made it so I didn't die very easily. I felt like I could survive forever compared to Kirby. ;)

Just as stated above, MetaKnight does have speed, but his killing potential is very minimal despite how many videos you have seen. MetaKnight as a character has average speed, but his attacks come out faster than any character I have seen at this point. His aerial game would actually have to be his weakest aspect because of his lack of air manueverability.

I found it very difficult to survive when I was above my opponent as well, for I owuld have to use either his neutral B or Side B to ground myself again. but MetaKnight his a fairly good character when it comes to survival. The games Mechanics make it extremely difficult to kill at percentages below the 100% cap, so MetaKnight only has an advantage in the damage field.

MetaKnightRules5

Smash Cadet
Meta's attacks come out fast, but that doesn't make him a fast character. From what I saw, the speed of characters were all fairly similar with the exception of Sonic's amazing dash. Meta Knight's air speed is pretty bad.

And don't think that his Smashes are any good. They're all very weak. Meta himself is "light" but the mechanics of the game (and the unfamiliarity of characters for everyone) made it so I didn't die very easily. I felt like I could survive forever compared to Kirby. ;)
You are right MK is normal speed but his sword will go so frickin fast you will be saying "Meta Knight is so cheap he is so unfair" like a frickin sissy. I would shut up if I were you because it happens all the time. it doesnt matter about smashes because I played a similar game and a guy was a super fast sword swinging and had sucky attack but all the little slashes add up and that character kicked everyones butt. :cool:

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
You are right MK is normal speed but his sword will go so frickin fast you will be saying "Meta Knight is so cheap he is so unfair" like a frickin sissy. I would shut up if I were you because it happens all the time. it doesnt matter about smashes because I played a similar game and a guy was a super fast sword swinging and had sucky attack but all the little slashes add up and that character kicked everyones butt. :cool:
Um dude, t!mmy has actually played as Meta, so I think he'd know more about him than you. I do agree from what I've seen, that his air game is pretty bad, but it's just a demo. We'll just have to wait till the release.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
but relying on very few moves and combos, like you have posted, one can only expect somebody to realize this and develop a strategy mid battle, one has to consider his dismal damage to get even more dismal with stale moves. against the new amazing Bowser I'm not worried about early game. Later when Bowser has plenty of killing tools left, Meta used them all killing him. I suppose against a lighter person, while I use Bowser as an example, the playing ground may be more equal, but I'm worried Meta can only use 2 or 3 moves as a practical way to kill somebody. In "You Must Recover" the worst update ever, we see Meta with a probable Fsmash, knocking mario away, but I'm worried about the drill dulling, and not having another bit.

MetalMetaKnight

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight is perfect for 1 on 1 matches since ive seen that in 4 player matches he can do serious damage to 1 character but then other characters wil hit him, stoping his combos. So if you watch t!mmys vid, Meta could own maybe anyone in 1 on 1. Even bowser.

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
That's a good point. His strength may be in cutting off one cow from the herd (like DK, that hairy ape-cow!) and then beating it into jerky before the others can interrupt his stream of pain. His FS sounds fitting for this kind of strategy too.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
Keep in mind that SSBB's physics will likely be vastly different from SSBM, plus i'm sure Bowser has moves with a ton of "super armor" frames. The breed of fast characters who dominated in SSBM may not do the same in SSBB. In fact it could be the power characters who have the advantage. Until the final games comes out and we have all played it a fair amount, we won't know.

KingBowser128

Smash Rookie
As it seems,Meta knight is bad at time matches seeing that he cant Ko very good,
but in stock matches you could do:

Combo/smash-->Run--->combo/smash--->(If they get in the air)Intercept opponent in the air/run

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
Hit and run tactics??? honestly I did say that people are smart enough to develop a strategy against the same thing. Meta knight's ability to mix it up, without relying on the same combos worries me. the Ganon combo mentioned? I pwned with that, then, my friend developed a strategy and I didn't beat him as easy and sometimes lost

SWORDMASTER X7

Smash Cadet
I said this in another thread, but I think MK will be dependant on edgeguards for the kill. The combos on stage will rack up damage and send his oppenent off the stage and then he edgeguards to get the kill. That's most likey going to be my main strategy at first.

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
WEll, then we can agree that MK-Bowser teams will be absolute **** huh? MK combos you in place while Bowser smashes you into oblivion.

Top Bottom