• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Meta Knight: Questions & Answers Thread (Don't make or reply to new threads just asking questions)

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
Sheik prolly. The best option man. Don't feel bad about fair chaining. Our 0-death combos are just as bad. (Even worse? Lol)

Meatbag

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KeithSprings
Should I use mach tornado to catch spot dodge spamming and is mks dash dance good to use in neutral. Thank you

Ulevo

Smash Master
Should I use mach tornado to catch spot dodge spamming and is mks dash dance good to use in neutral. Thank you
Meta Knight's dash dance is decent, but it is difficult to pull off consistently. Use when you think you can get some use out of it as a feint. Mach Tornado is good for catching rolls and spot dodges.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
My primary uses for Mach Tornado include:

Follow ups from Dash Attack/D/F-Throw/Dair/etc when allowed.

Punishing roll and spotdodges.

Trapping people on platforms above me. (Up-Airing them first greatly increases your chances of a shield poke. If you tend to Up Air them, they sometimes spotdodge. If you can bait that, free Nado.

Punishing airdodges (You can either just wait for it if they are above you or bait it after an Up Air or Up Air chain.

Going through weak projectiles and catch opponents in their end lag.

Punishing big commitments in general and I need damage.

Covering ledge options.

Dash dance is pretty much what Ulevo said.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Please for the love of God use nado to cover ledge options, its cringe worthy when his 2nd best move isn't used effectively.

I can honestly say a MK can't go a game without using it at least once or twice.

ZTD | TECHnology

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention that. Hovering above the ledge with Nado covers sooooo much options of the ledge. After catching them with a few times, makes them second guess what theyr'e gonna do off the ledge. I feel like I use the move a bit more liberally than most MKs I've seen. Getting better at not getting punished for it as well.

MaddDecent

Smash Cadet
NNID
CrashingSt0rm
3DS FC
4871-4027-4131
Hey guys, who do you think would work well as a secondary/co-main with meta knight? Someone who could cover his weaknesses. I've messed around with a good amount of characters but I could use some ideas.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Hey guys, who do you think would work well as a secondary/co-main with meta knight? Someone who could cover his weaknesses. I've messed around with a good amount of characters but I could use some ideas.
We literally just answered this, but Shiek is probably your best bet.

MaddDecent

Smash Cadet
NNID
CrashingSt0rm
3DS FC
4871-4027-4131
We literally just answered this, but Shiek is probably your best bet.
Sorry, I saw the Sheik thing before but when I looked for the question I couldn't find it. I basically didn't know the context of the answer.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Shiek doesn't really have a single mad matchup, so she's the type of character that could work as a secondary for everyone. I personally don't care for her play style, so I have zero intention of ever having her as a secondary or main.

MaddDecent

Smash Cadet
NNID
CrashingSt0rm
3DS FC
4871-4027-4131
Shiek doesn't really have a single mad matchup, so she's the type of character that could work as a secondary for everyone. I personally don't care for her play style, so I have zero intention of ever having her as a secondary or main.
I kind of agree with you. I've never been a big fan of how the character feels to play with, and I've only been interested in one Sheik player (Mr. R). I'm still a little on edge on giving her a try, but I don't really know who covers MK's weaknesses.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
What matchups are you having the most trouble with? I main both Diddy Kong and Meta Knight, and never really feel there's a matchup that's insanely polarizing to both characters. The fact you also main Ness probably helps with some of Meta Knight's bad matchups since Ness is one of the best characters in the game.

MaddDecent

Smash Cadet
NNID
CrashingSt0rm
3DS FC
4871-4027-4131
What matchups are you having the most trouble with? I main both Diddy Kong and Meta Knight, and never really feel there's a matchup that's insanely polarizing to both characters. The fact you also main Ness probably helps with some of Meta Knight's bad matchups since Ness is one of the best characters in the game.
I just tend to struggle with rushdown characters honestly. I just started getting into MK almost a week ago. I haven't had many oppurtunities to play singles with my friends but I tend to struggle with falcon, sonic, etc.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
I just tend to struggle with rushdown characters honestly. I just started getting into MK almost a week ago. I haven't had many oppurtunities to play singles with my friends but I tend to struggle with falcon, sonic, etc.
It seems you have problems with characters who beat MK in the neutral and that's perfectly normal. You may wanna try a campier character like R.O.B. or Mario or Luigi. Just someone with a projectile that isn't easy to punish.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
For me, I have no problem playing a top tier if I find the character fun (hence my Diddy kong), but I find Shiek really boring to play as.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Do all air jumps have the same jumpsquat? I keep missing the buffered Uair at mid combo, usually the third.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
???

every double jump in the game comes out on frame 1

up air timing is the only thing that changes

SAX

Smash Ace
Alright. So, if I'm wanting to learn everything about meta knight that has been posted here in SWF, which thread would be the best to check out? I'm talking about frame data, highest percent combos/punishes, best options out of specific reactions that commonly happen (i.e. Air dodge after an uair). Even deeper stuff like you guys were saying about covering the ledge options with tornado. Stuff like that, I want it all.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Alright. So, if I'm wanting to learn everything about meta knight that has been posted here in SWF, which thread would be the best to check out? I'm talking about frame data, highest percent combos/punishes, best options out of specific reactions that commonly happen (i.e. Air dodge after an uair). Even deeper stuff like you guys were saying about covering the ledge options with tornado. Stuff like that, I want it all.
1) Social thread.
2) Video thread.
3) My threads.
4) Katakiri's match up threads.

TheBlackLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBlackLuffy
Switch FC
8040 1413 9929
Abuse the Nado. When people are offstage it catches majority of the Cast. Even if you air dodge you can get caught in it and still get a decent 12% damage. Plus It sends them back off the stage. So it's just nice for keeping your opponent off the stage.

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
So I'm getting into footstool combos. Is it a correct statement that we can DA Uair footstool anyone that we cannot dash attack nado? And are dthrow setups useful for footstool combos?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Abuse the Nado. When people are offstage it catches majority of the Cast. Even if you air dodge you can get caught in it and still get a decent 12% damage. Plus It sends them back off the stage. So it's just nice for keeping your opponent off the stage.
No don't do this.

So I'm getting into footstool combos. Is it a correct statement that we can DA Uair footstool anyone that we cannot dash attack nado? And are dthrow setups useful for footstool combos?
We can't footstool combo Fox and Jigglypuff, these two are extreme when it comes to fall speed. On fast fallers you can down throw --> DA --> FH Uair --> Footstool.

Ulevo

Smash Master
No don't do this.

We can't footstool combo Fox and Jigglypuff, these two are extreme when it comes to fall speed. On fast fallers you can down throw --> DA --> FH Uair --> Footstool.
I have not gotten around to testing footstool specifics, but I would not rely on a down throw to land footstools. If an opponent DI's away you're probably not getting it. Forward throw, which is hard to DI on reaction, and dash attack raw are likely the best options.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Because your opponent can beat you out of it, because there's better options to do off stage, because your opponent doesn't always go the way you want, because its not safe at all.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
It's not really an offstage edge guarding tool. It's more of something you use to punish a commitment to an unsafe option. You have much, much better options offstage, that don't put you in helpless.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Large commitment.

Easily beat out by most aerials.

You can't go too deep with it as you'll have to return to the stage/ledge.

Its good for punishing airdodges. But we have a huge kit for edgeguarding.

Last edited:

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Question. Does anyone know how @ ItoI6 ItoI6 got this F-Smash to come out?: https://youtu.be/OQ-oJ41Acsk?t=141

He rolled back, started a dash, somehow cut the dash way shorter than a foxtrot (which by itself would be amazingly useful), and somehow got an F-Smash.

I can't replicate it to save my life even at 1/4th speed. I'm probably just uninformed about Smash 4 tech but I NEED that F-Smash setup in my life right now.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
all it is i just start an fsmash at the beginning of my next foxtrot and it causes you to stop in place. its a pretty good mixup for when you dtilt at high percents and they think youre gonna dash grab, or when theyre just under pressure.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Ah okay. It seems like the latest you can input the F-Smash from a Foxtrot without getting a Dash Attack instead is frame 5 or 6, the same frame the dust cloud appears indicating a Dash. I knew about cancelling Dash into F-Smash but I didn't know the window was that long.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Yo I have a rather broad question about edgeguarding. I'm aware MK has an amazing edgeguarding kit but I don't really have a set strategy, I just sort of hover in their way and use whatever aerials usually... It gets me kills but it feels messy. Is there a safe and/or generally good way to edgeguard, what gameplan do you guys have? Are there moves in particular which are good against recovering opponents compared to others (safer, disjoint etc)? Or does it very much depend on the matchup?

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Yo I have a rather broad question about edgeguarding. I'm aware MK has an amazing edgeguarding kit but I don't really have a set strategy, I just sort of hover in their way and use whatever aerials usually... It gets me kills but it feels messy. Is there a safe and/or generally good way to edgeguard, what gameplan do you guys have? Are there moves in particular which are good against recovering opponents compared to others (safer, disjoint etc)? Or does it very much depend on the matchup?
The back hit of N-air is much more disjointed and safer compared to the front hit. Your typical edgeguard tools are gonne be that along with B-air and D-air. Ledge-Trump > D-air is also solid.

Ulevo

Smash Master
If the opponent opts to go low, you can guard with properly spaced down air. If the opponent is low or mid height, you can opt to go for a reverse back air. If the opponent has a teleport, like Vanish, you can use neutral air at the ledge and if timed on the proper frame will always knock them away. If they recover high, waiting for the proper moment to land an up air or Shuttle Loop or frame trap them with up air in to Shuttle Loop will work well, and can often net you kills. If they are at the ledge, you can cover some get up options with down smash depending on the character and what their get up options are. Specifically down smash will cover get up attack and roll on a lot of characters, and make shield from a standard get up the only viable option. They will still be able to jump, however. Mach Tornado is a good option that covers nearly everything, but it will only work if you use it as they resort to their get up option. If they wait it out, they will get on stage for free. Aside from a few characters, forward smash will hit characters hanging from the ledge as long as it is close enough, and will give you a kill option if you manage to hit a ledge trump and then come back on stage. And finally, you can also ledge trump in to back air, though I do not know whether or not this is a true follow up or if certain characters can air dodge or react in time if you land the trump.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Can anyone give me some advice vs Sheik

I'm not really sure what to do at all when she's sh/fhing and spacing fairs.. In theory I can fair her hand since my fair is disjointed but it's also kind of risky since I have a lot of landing lag on fair.

Idk what to do

Top Bottom