• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Gameplay and Strategy Discussion thread

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I do all the same stuff and I get back fine
Minus reverse up b

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I think that when they resized MK, they didn't increase his shield size. I'm getting poked at a fresh shield via Diddy's banana. Anyone else noticing this? It also appears that as part of his change, his hitboxes are now into the interior of the white glow on his sword swings.
His shield size and sword scale with his model size. See: Giant mode.

No offense, but it's hillarious how you literally "quoted" ez's post. I'm sorry but lol! You can "quote" by clicking "Reply" which is below the actual post and signature and waaaay to the right.

What combo set ups? A free up tilt? Meta Knight's up air combos are much less potent now, and his old dive kick was predictable as death. I think it was a good decision to get rid of it. Work on your wording too.

Welcome to Smashboards? Lol so honest it hurts
His UAir combos are actually more potent than they have ever been, given that UAir's damage output has been increased and the hitlag multiplier was reduced (increased hitlag means more frames to SDI).

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
His shield size and sword scale with his model size. See: Giant mode.

His UAir combos are actually more potent than they have ever been, given that UAir's damage output has been increased and the hitlag multiplier was reduced (increased hitlag means more frames to SDI).
I know you wanna beef that dair up insert smirk

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
You just wait until you guys see this jank me and Jabs are working on...

Weeezy

Smash Rookie
[/Speaking of recovery, I'm not liking the nerfs at all. Size b doesn't seem to snap to the ledge, neutral b is too vulnerable, same for down b, no loop slide, and waaay less jumps. I recover better with Falco! Tell me how to recover!]

Neutral B is still a desperate recovery move that I barely use except rare situations, side B is much worse cause you have to be higher up and literally on perfectly on ledge to get it, in 3.02 I would use this not extensively, but often enough to be noticeable in my play, now I almost never use it. Honestly the best thing I found for it is that one time mix up where the opponent sees you hovering around the ledge trying to get back and you use it to catch them sleeping and hit them. it actually leads to good combos, but literally is so predictable and punishable, that's why i may use it only like once a set. Up B is still up B just really REALLY nerfed, cant get momentum so it is very linear now and easier for opponents to hit you out of, it still snaps to ledge so I suggest practicing that, also you cant get much height from it now (like being barely below the ledge and pushing up so MK slows down and goes upwards) so thats pretty meh. Down B, we all know how depressing down B is. Also I may suggest air dodge, similar to puffs and has decent vertical reach.

Edit: This quote stuff is hard, I'm gonna look for a tutorial xD

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
[/Speaking of recovery, I'm not liking the nerfs at all. Size b doesn't seem to snap to the ledge, neutral b is too vulnerable, same for down b, no loop slide, and waaay less jumps. I recover better with Falco! Tell me how to recover!]

Neutral B is still a desperate recovery move that I barely use except rare situations, side B is much worse cause you have to be higher up and literally on perfectly on ledge to get it, in 3.02 I would use this not extensively, but often enough to be noticeable in my play, now I almost never use it. Honestly the best thing I found for it is that one time mix up where the opponent sees you hovering around the ledge trying to get back and you use it to catch them sleeping and hit them. it actually leads to good combos, but literally is so predictable and punishable, that's why i may use it only like once a set. Up B is still up B just really REALLY nerfed, cant get momentum so it is very linear now and easier for opponents to hit you out of, it still snaps to ledge so I suggest practicing that, also you cant get much height from it now (like being barely below the ledge and pushing up so MK slows down and goes upwards) so thats pretty meh. Down B, we all know how depressing down B is. Also I may suggest air dodge, similar to puffs and has decent vertical reach.

Edit: This quote stuff is hard, I'm gonna look for a tutorial xD
Code:
[quote=Person A]Quoted text[/quote]
Person A said:
Quoted text
Anyway, you do have to be crazy close to the precise edge grab-point to get it with side-B now. I still miss it when I think I should have gotten it. Gotta get used to it I guess. I'm not sure if there's a way to do it that let's you avoid getting attacked, though. It's probably better to down-B to the ledge now in those situations :/

As for down-B, just wait for the guide Jabs is gonna make. There's some silly stuff to the move now (but it'll probably be taken away from us, too...).

Espi

Smash Journeyman
I think I'm just gonna use IDC (and the occasional full DC) when the opportunity arises. I don't see the appeal of it as most of the various movement options it gave have been stripped... Although I still empty DC to the ledge since it's flashy and sort of useful (kinda). I hope Jabs is gonna convince me otherwise.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think I'm just gonna use IDC (and the occasional full DC) when the opportunity arises. I don't see the appeal of it as most of the various movement options it gave have been stripped... Although I still empty DC to the ledge since it's flashy and sort of useful (kinda). I hope Jabs is gonna convince me otherwise.
It has some insane movement tricks now, but they're sorta hard to do

Espi

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry, I'm pretty technical. Ain't even gonna be modest about it :). (Also know how to apply stuff in game)

Last edited:

Popertop

Smash Champion
Stealth Metaknight main in Houston here, reporting in finally.

I had avoided the forums like the plague because of a few reasons, most of them not having to do with forum experiences with Pm, but with Brawl and Smash 4. Another reason is that I don't like to be exposed to another person's style, I like to come up with everything on my own. I'm really big on originality and innovation, but now I think my style is solidified enough that we will both benefit from my input.

Still getting caught up with the forum posts. It's poor forum etiquette to just post something in an ongoing thread without reading the rest of it, but I wanted to let you guys know I'm here, that I've got some thoughts regarding 3.5 meta, and that we can take this character places.

I've had people complain about free wins against them before, but I didn't even abuse metaknight's best features (aside from Divekick LOL), but now they won't be able to talk any **** to me, because Meta is without question one of the most heavily nerfed/changed characters in the transition.

Anyways just letting you guys know I exist, I'll start participating in actual discussion once I'm caught up reading the thread.

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
EDGEFARTING w/ MK by leek

Gimping is literally Meta Knight. Meta Knight is practically gimping. Once you understand that, play Wario and just spam fart like a dumbass. DO IT. DO IT NOW. I am serious.

Oh yeah I forgot this guide was gonna be unserious.

Without easy finishers and weird burst movement, Meta Knight has transformed into a master of gimping who relies on good fundementals and spacing which I will link what fundementals are here: http://smashboards.com/threads/toon-link-guide.374955/ taught some Tink chump to fundel their mentals and http://smashboards.com/threads/how-to-practice-spacing-other-fundamentals.376149/#post-17928319 this for sunny!'s godlike post on spacing PLUS ma Melee tier list and ways to practice non technique fundementals. Since Meta Knight's tools were not refined for gimping in the previous version, I will try to teach you the art of edgeguarding so that you can apply what you learned in battle.

Fair- Use this move like Puff's bair, but try not to go too deep. It usually won't be the best for just going offstage and gimping them, but gosh darn, it is so good at actually getting them offstage. Make sure to space it, no exceptions ( unless you want to send them back onstage ).

Down Smash- I prefer this over f smash since it's faster and the hitbox extends downwards more. Really more for predictable recovery like Falcon's. It sends them diagonally upwards so I guess you can "followup" with a fair.

Nair- Very strong and fast but very laggy and sometimes unreliable because it can send them backwards ( why you always hit with the front part of it ). Do not go deep for this move. Always make sure to input it right after your jump so it's ending lag won't kill you. Mainly for hitting characters who go for the high recovery.

Bair- for hard reads/ predictable recoveries/ punishes since it's so slow but so strong. I don't think you can even go offstage with this move lol

Down tilt- for fast fallers more than anything else but otherwise down smash outclasses it. Or if you just want to rack up damage and spam it until their recovery is too short/down smash will kill. Space so it won't pop em up

Dair- relatively situational, but leads into some epic dair and fair combos and gimps if you hit it right. Not very good at low percents though. Probably THE move to use offstage along with fair but just make sure to hit right. Pretty safe right below the ledge since it will stage spike em if you hit it wrong.

There are two things you really need to know about Meta Knight's edgeguarding. 1. His onstage is GODLIKE. 2. Fast fallers simply will not recover against this character.

Top Bottom