• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Data Thread & Beginner's Guide - Current News: Hey, I'm Back!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I was in oregon playing smash and met a few metaknight players. One of them was useing d-throw -> shorthop b-air and try as i might i cant seem to execute it. Is there a button mapping change im missing here? He managed to do it pretty consistantly as a follow-up to d-throw
Who are the other Meta Knight players in Oregon? AFAIK the only one who plays Meta Knight in Oregon is me.

Also, D-throw -> B-air isn't due to a change in button layouts (I only use Tap Jump Off right now). It's just moderately technical and requires a little practice. The timing changes depending on characters/damage, so you have to practice it a bit.

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
Who are the other Meta Knight players in Oregon? AFAIK the only one who plays Meta Knight in Oregon is me.

Also, D-throw -> B-air isn't due to a change in button layouts (I only use Tap Jump Off right now). It's just moderately technical and requires a little practice. The timing changes depending on characters/damage, so you have to practice it a bit.
You played against him at the UO smash. Hes the person i saw you landing that combo on. There was one other but he may not have been maining meta knight.

PhoenixT3

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0705-3549-5140
Hey guys um just wanted to say I find using MKs instant dash very useful as a mix up... If U input one dash and wait for MKs feat to touch the floor u can dash attack a bit later. Also retreating fair is pretty great off stage to force a punishable option to b taken by ur opponent. I also like to fast fall in to neutral and up b... And drill spikes are a thing when given the opportunity/stage.
The vvv
\_____/
Stages to be exact and If u know ur opponent like to tech just keep drilling down it will catch them again then press up and u will get some insane height on ur jump after connecting the drill.

PhoenixT3

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0705-3549-5140
Hey guys um just wanted to say I find using MKs instant dash very useful as a mix up... If U input one dash and wait for MKs feat to touch the floor u can dash attack a bit later. Also retreating fair is pretty great off stage to force a punishable option to b taken by ur opponent. I also like to fast fall in to neutral and up b... And drill spikes are a thing when given the opportunity/stage.
The vvv
\_____/
Stages to be exact and If u know ur opponent like to tech just keep drilling down it will catch them again then press up and u will get some insane height on ur jump after connecting the drill. And u can combo bair out of down thro.. It's pretty hard tho

PhoenixT3

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0705-3549-5140
Oh snap sorry diggersboy It wasn't posting and this ad kept popping up sorry didn't mean to post 3 times

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
The drill rush actually always spikes down and away against the stages no matter how the stage is shaped. That has been my experience.

PhoenixT3

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0705-3549-5140
Yes this is true but it is hard for them to recover on the angled stages. Unless they tech

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
speaking of meta knight. Has anyone noticed any change with the 1.0.6 patch released today? Most things ive seen say no and i do not notice anything significantly different.

PhoenixT3

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0705-3549-5140
speaking of meta knight. Has anyone noticed any change with the 1.0.6 patch released today? Most things ive seen say no and i do not notice anything significantly different.
Nair has 2frames less landing lag and dimensional cape has less landing lagg
Also if anyone was wondering I can confirm tornado can do 23% still even without rage...

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
I think up b kills earlier maybe. I was just killing at close to 80% at single jump height above smashville. I was useing it off the side of the stage so the second hit connected about level with the platform.

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
so someone showed me something meta knight can do and im not sure entirely how it works or how applicable or viable it is but hear me out. so they showed me a video of meta doing something with his crouch and walk animations where he would start the momentum from his walk, crouch to cancel the walk, and this would result in a slide that sortof looks like a wavedash as far as distance and speed. I plan to look into it more and see what I can do out of the slide (tilts, smashes, shield etc) if anyone else wants to try it its pretty simple. as I said you just start the walk animation and immediately crouch. let me know what you find and I will try to come back with info too.

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
So just thought I would leave this here. Meta knights mach tornado can beat out pacmans fIre hydrant. I believe it is situational at best but I went to use tornado under pacman while he was in the air and when he dropped the hydrant on me it got caught in tornados hitboxes and flung out. because moves last longer when they connect this not only eliminates the fear of having a hydrant dropped on your head, but also extends the length of time tornado is active for. my best guess would be I wasn't directly underneath pacman when he dropped it though which may have been what happened. sooo yeah.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
The drill rush actually always spikes down and away against the stages no matter how the stage is shaped. That has been my experience.
Does it always snap you back to the ledge? I know the lower you are the more likely you wont make it back, but does the drill rush always make you bounce?

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
Does it always snap you back to the ledge? I know the lower you are the more likely you wont make it back, but does the drill rush always make you bounce?
it bounces you up and away from the point of the final hit IF it bounces you. if you hit any solid object that functions solely as a wall or floor, for instance, you bounce back on the final hit and you have some degree of control with the angle. When done under a slanted stage bottom the angle just pushes you up along the stage to the edge but its not automatically popping you to the edge. additionally if you hit the ledge itself one of two things happen. A:you grab the ledge and the final hit send out a small shockwave. B:meta knight forgets what a ledge is and free falls to his death. I'm not certain what the variable is that determines which happens since I have had both happen while moving directly into the lip of the stage without aiming up or down.

hotdogtaco4321

Smash Cadet
NNID
MaverickGV
3DS FC
0748-3241-5258
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but meta knight's up tilt seems to have a sweetspot at the tip that does 7% instead of 5%

PhoenixT3

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0705-3549-5140
Hey guys just gonna mention something's I think may be helpful
˚ᆺ˚
1.jab to shuttle loop near ledge. When MK is near a ledge and jabbing he gets pushed off onto the side...annoying¿ yeah u can cancel that into up b. Get the timing down and this can help with people on the edge.
2. Running down b. Run and cancel ur dash with down b this can catch ur opponent off guard and can be a good mix up.
3. Dash grab down throw to jab near ledge. This can work against some characters but I mostly use it on cap falcon...because his up b goes into the stage for some reason, the jab will clip him. This works if they try to avoid the fair and recover low.

busken

Smash Ace
For anybody wanting to learn MK I recommend watching this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHnTF4GQQDA
It explains on how to get frame perfect aerials out of a short hop, and why's it's important. This is very important for MK has U-air>Up-special is our most reliable kill confirm. In order to this though you have to set Left Stick to Attack. Frame perfect short hop aerials are also helpful for d-air camping.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
For anybody wanting to learn MK I recommend watching this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHnTF4GQQDA
It explains on how to get frame perfect aerials out of a short hop, and why's it's important. This is very important for MK has U-air>Up-special is our most reliable kill confirm. In order to this though you have to set Left Stick to Attack. Frame perfect short hop aerials are also helpful for d-air camping.
And thus we have the reason why Y is better than X.

I do not know why so many players play with X as their jump button, but it really is an inferior control scheme. By having your thumb situated on one button instead of two, you will never be able to do perfect aerials without either 1) having unreasonable and potentially chronically damaging reaction speed and 2) using up on the analog stick, which may sacrifice some varying level of control.

I would say full jump up airs with up on the analog stick are the best option if you use tap jump on because it means you will not accidentally do a double jump in the middle of the ascent by hitting up and jump on separate frames, but being able to jump with Y as opposed to X is invaluable in many other instances.

busken

Smash Ace
And thus we have the reason why Y is better than X.

I do not know why so many players play with X as their jump button, but it really is an inferior control scheme. By having your thumb situated on one button instead of two, you will never be able to do perfect aerials without either 1) having unreasonable and potentially chronically damaging reaction speed and 2) using up on the analog stick, which may sacrifice some varying level of control.

I would say full jump up airs with up on the analog stick are the best option if you use tap jump on because it means you will not accidentally do a double jump in the middle of the ascent by hitting up and jump on separate frames, but being able to jump with Y as opposed to X is invaluable in many other instances.
This is very true imo, but some people can do it seemingly perfectly and they use X as Jump. It just goes to show that if you get comfortable enough with it, you will eventually do it as fast as possible. A study can be made between Y jumpers and X jumpers to see which group on average has more frame accuracy, if necessary. Today is my first time trying double sticking and it feels really weird. However, I'm interested in learning it because if mastered, I can map Jump to another buttton. Currently, I map B to Jump and I can consistently do frame perfect aerials. On some occasions, I hit the c-stick before hitting B. This never happens with U-airs and D-airs though, because the directions are in a way that I would have to go from down to down or up to up. I'll still practice with double sticking though, and see what happens.

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
Just tossing this out there. I use button and tap jump. I fond that tap jump provides me better arial maneuverability once im already in the air and button jumps work best for my ground/short hop game.

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
Ok, so I experimented with double sticking and here are my thoughts.

For ground/short hop mobility, it's not optimal. Hitting the analog stick up, c-stick direction, and analog momentum direction is so much slower then the standard inputs. It's also bad for PP into jump, because you need to PP then flick the analog up, c-stick direction, and then manipulate your direction via analog.

For aerial mobility it's good, but a big downside is that you can't turnaround during your juggles, simply because the inputs are to sharp.

PhoenixT3

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0705-3549-5140
Hey guys here is some semi-practical MK tech against megaman. You can run threw the self detonating bomb and get up throw. If you time it right megaman will be blown up at the at the top of the throw lol pretty well known but I didn't see it on this thread.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Sorry if this has been stated, but I found a thing with making the Up-air string into upB easier without having to switch your controls to Tap Jump.

Basically, you need to make your :GCLT: a Jump button, and your :GCCN: an Attack stick. This allows for many other awesome things with aerials, but I'm sure most know this by now.

Anyway, I was having some issues just trying to get the Up air string with :GCY: as my jump (still is for short hopping) and :GCU::GCA: for my Up airs. So I tried to see if using :GCLT:could free up my right hand to only worry about hitting :GCA:. What I found is that you don't have to hit :GCLT:again once MK's wings are out (second-sixth jump) and you can just hold :GCLT: and attack, and he will just jump automatically at the same time you are Up airing.

Fast forward a while, and I think to try it :GCCN: by doing the same thing, but this would be easier, because just having to flick the stick lets my right hand get back to do a special move if they DI weird.

So in short, Up-air to Up-B string controls made easy::GCY:(SH)>:GCLT:(Hold)>:GCCU:(x4)>:GCU::GCB:

busken

Smash Ace
Sorry if this has been stated, but I found a thing with making the Up-air string into upB easier without having to switch your controls to Tap Jump.

Basically, you need to make your :GCLT: a Jump button, and your :GCCN: an Attack stick. This allows for many other awesome things with aerials, but I'm sure most know this by now.

Anyway, I was having some issues just trying to get the Up air string with :GCY: as my jump (still is for short hopping) and :GCU::GCA: for my Up airs. So I tried to see if using :GCLT:could free up my right hand to only worry about hitting :GCA:. What I found is that you don't have to hit :GCLT:again once MK's wings are out (second-sixth jump) and you can just hold :GCLT: and attack, and he will just jump automatically at the same time you are Up airing.

Fast forward a while, and I think to try it :GCCN: by doing the same thing, but this would be easier, because just having to flick the stick lets my right hand get back to do a special move if they DI weird.

So in short, Up-air to Up-B string controls made easy::GCY:(SH)>:GCLT:(Hold)>:GCCU:(x4)>:GCU::GCB:
I'll try this out, I've always been doing it manually. Ironically, my B is set to Jump and my Y is set to special. I like shielding with L, so I'll probably try this out with R.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
I'll try this out, I've always been doing it manually. Ironically, my B is set to Jump and my Y is set to special. I like shielding with L, so I'll probably try this out with R.
Whatever's comfortable, I just love that you only have to hold it once you have pressed it to get the Up air and the next jump in one fluid motion. The results have been incredible for me so far.

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
Whatever's comfortable, I just love that you only have to hold it once you have pressed it to get the Up air and the next jump in one fluid motion. The results have been incredible for me so far.
Thanks alot dude, I've been playing MK for a while and this is BY FAR the most helpful tip I've received if you have any others let me know! Thanks!

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
I agree. I have R as jump already and this makes things easy, especially fastfalling Uairs because you can concentrate on using the control stick to move left and right and fastfalling occasionally, without having to press up all the time if you used Y and A to do the Uairs. I found fastfalling and going down-up, down-up quickly kinda difficult without accidentally inputting Fair or Bair every so often (altho maybe I'm just bad).

Last edited:

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Thanks alot dude, I've been playing MK for a while and this is BY FAR the most helpful tip I've received if you have any others let me know! Thanks!
The best part is that I quit playing MK, lol. Though, the practice using L as Jump led me to master float cancelled aerials MUCH quicker on my Peach. I'm glad it helped you!!!:lol:

CLSMandalore

Smash Rookie
NNID
CLSMandalorian
Ya, never mind, just going to do a lot of probably unnecessary lab work when I'm bored and figure it out..... can't figure out how to delete posts

Last edited:

Crimson23

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0662-3915-4434
My MK playstyle is mostly devoted to combos and gimping. I rush in, bait, and punish.
I see side smash as a really good baiting move. It actually has low end lag, thus making it less punishable and a baiting tool.
Up B and Down B punishes are my two main KOing options. Up B is a really good follow up and comes out fast. I use it most after a Dthrow/Dash attack/Fthrow. Down B punishes, but not much else.
To gimp, I often use the N-air, F-air, or B-air (the latter is situational). They all deal good knockback and damage. The F-air also seems to have somewhat reliable follow-ups.

Top Bottom