• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meowth for SSBB

SensFan

Smash Cadet
Don't hit me! Hear me out.

You might not like it, but I think it's safe to assume we'll be getting at least one Pokemon newcomer in Brawl. Unfortunately, there aren't many central character Pokemon in the games (at least I don't think so... I really didn't play anything beyong Pokemon Yellow). Jigglypuff and Mewtwo were probably selected based on their significance in the TV show and the movies.

Now, Meowth is a character with some personality and some traits that make him unique (like being able to talk...). He would be a fine addition to Smash, I think. The only knock against him is that he's one of the original 151, and they'd probably be looking to add one of the newer Pokemon.

Thoughts on Meowth's chances?

Mud Buddha

Smash Ace
He's not asking what you WANT to happen, he wants to know what you THINK will happen.

I agree, his chances are quite high. Along with another legendary Poke'mon I'd imagine.

nomis

Smash Journeyman
Me and a friend actually thought he was going to be the next pocket monster to be added. Will they? Sure, why not? Meowth is very capable of being a Brawler.

But like I said, Jesse > Pokemon.

EDIT: And a legendary Pokemon would be in a Pokeball, not a PC.
Speaking of balls, wasn't Meowth in 64? What the hell happened to him? Maybe his character got cut off during production of SSBM, and they decided (with the limited amount of time that they had... at the last minute) to just add a useless ******* like Pichu. Sorry Pichu fans, he just sucks.

FireStar

Smash Apprentice
You guys are going to far with theses characters. Every single character in nintendo history does not need to be in this game... Think people... Think... Do it now....

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
yeah i said the same thing. i would actually like to see meowth. but yeah he is one of the older pokemon. but to me that's when pokemon was at it's best. out of all the pokemon meowth is the only one that actually talks. i think there are others (mewtwo). pikachu was obviously gonna be in, jgglypuff was really popular in Japan and on the tv show along with mewtwo. pichu was also popular due to the fact that it's a baby pikachu. right now meowth isnt that popular so that might ruin it's chances. some new pokemon wll get in seeing as all the others are from the 151 era minus pichu.

FireStar

Smash Apprentice
There are a "lot" of popular pokemon. Just because they are a lot of popular pokemon, doesn't mean all of them should be in it...

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Right. You need to draw the line somewhere.

If it was up to me, I'd get rid of Pichu and Mewtwo, keep Pikahu and Jigglypuff, and add Meowth. I think it's safe to say the general public identify those three with Pokemon more. I know nothing about the **** show, but I do recognize those three and do know a little about them. There is plenty of material Nintendo could use without OVERusing the idea of Pokemon.

Flareon? What the hell is that?

SensFan

Smash Cadet
FireStar said:
You guys are going to far with theses characters. Every single character in nintendo history does not need to be in this game... Think people... Think... Do it now....
FireStar said:
There are a "lot" of popular pokemon. Just because they are a lot of popular pokemon, doesn't mean all of them should be in it...
Wow. Please try not to put words in people's mouths. I don't think anyone said anything about "every single character in Nintendo history" or "all of them being in it". There is going to be nonstop speculation on these boards for the next year or so. If you're sick of it already, I wouldn't suggest coming back in a couple months from now.

Meowth has a far better chance than the other Pokemon based on his relevance in the TV series. I don't know how you could think that he has no chance. Honestly, can you come up with a better Pokemon addition? He's probably got a better chance that Mew or Plusle/Minun, two other speculated characters.

Besides, they've put in more obscure characters than Meowth.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
if you think they wont add a new poekmon then your sadly mistakened. they have 4 now and expect them to add at least 2 more seeing as how popular the franchise is.

SensFan

Smash Cadet
Kereokacola said:
Right. You need to draw the line somewhere.

If it was up to me, I'd get rid of Pichu and Mewtwo, keep Pikahu and Jigglypuff, and add Meowth. I think it's safe to say the general public identify those three with Pokemon more. I know nothing about the **** show, but I do recognize those three and do know a little about them. There is plenty of material Nintendo could use without OVERusing the idea of Pokemon.

Flareon? What the hell is that?
Pokemon is one of if not the most popular series in Nintendo, right up there with Mario and Zelda. I wouldn't say dedicating 4 of 26 character slots to Pokemon is "OVERusing the idea of Pokemon", especially since 5 slots went to Zelda, and 6 went to Mario (plus Wario as a confirmed newcomer).

Like I said, you may not like it, but you can expect at least one Pokemon newcomer in Brawl.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
tstumo said:
if you think they wont add a new poekmon then your sadly mistakened. they have 4 now and expect them to add at least 2 more seeing as how popular the franchise is.
a lot less popular than from when it started

FireStar

Smash Apprentice
SensFan said:
Wow. Please try not to put words in people's mouths. I don't think anyone said anything about "every single character in Nintendo history" or "all of them being in it". There is going to be nonstop speculation on these boards for the next year or so. If you're sick of it already, I wouldn't suggest coming back in a couple months from now.

Meowth has a far better chance than the other Pokemon based on his relevance in the TV series. I don't know how you could think that he has no chance. Honestly, can you come up with a better Pokemon addition? He's probably got a better chance that Mew or Plusle/Minun, two other speculated characters.

Besides, they've put in more obscure characters than Meowth.
It's my opinion... And stop getting offended by me. Some of you guys here are getting out of controll. This needs to stop..... one the spot!...

I've respected your opinion, so you'd best do the same...

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Don't forget the arean's, and the Pokeballs, which sported several upon several of appearances of Pokemon. And like I have stated in another topic, Pokemon is NOT as popular as it was when the first Smash came out. Do you honestly see people collecting Pokemon cards anymore? No, that's because they are worth squat.

I have nothing against Pokemon, it's just in my mind, among others, have gotten sick with the idea of using too much of them, and that's not just for the fact of the four playable characters in Melee, take the other factors into consideration. I am simply saying that there is much more material they could be using from the past than bring more Pokemon into the mix.

SensFan

Smash Cadet
xianfeng said:
a lot less popular than from when it started
True, but what has happened to the Kid Icarus following in recent years? Has there been a Game & Watch fanbase in the last decade? Pit and Mr. Game & Watch still got in.

FireStar

Smash Apprentice
Kereokacola said:
Don't forget the arean's, and the Pokeballs, which sported several upon several of appearances of Pokemon. And like I have stated in another topic, Pokemon is NOT as popular as it was when the first Smash came out. Do you honestly see people collecting Pokemon cards anymore? No, that's because they are worth squat.

I have nothing against Pokemon, it's just in my mind, among others, have gotten sick with the idea of using too much of them, and that's not just for the fact of the four playable characters in Melee, take the other factors into consideration. I am simply saying that there is much more material they could be using from the past than bring more Pokemon into the mix.
Thank you very much. Pokemon is getting a little tired.

btw: Don't forget about the trophies. ;P

xianfeng

Smash Hero
SensFan said:
True, but what has happened to the Kid Icarus following in recent years? Has there been a Game & Watch fanbase in the last decade? Pit and Mr. Game & Watch still got in.
I know but I just think that there will be only 1 new pokemon and that it will be meowth

SensFan

Smash Cadet
FireStar said:
It's my opinion... And stop getting offended by me. Some of you guys here are getting out of controll. This needs to stop..... one the spot!...

I've respected your opinion, so you'd best do the same...
If your opinion is that they shouldn't add "every character in Nintendo history", then I can live with respecting that. As long as you don't use that opinion to infer that I think otherwise.

And if you think saying "Think people... Think... Do it now...." constitutes respecting my opinion, I think you need look up the word 'respect'.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Pit and Game and Watch are classic characters revived for Smash. I'd much rather see old heroes come to life rather than rehashing the use of Pokemon. It's beginning to make me churn. Please, I simply want unique and separate characters, is that too much to ask?

FireStar

Smash Apprentice
SensFan said:
If your opinion is that they shouldn't add "every character in Nintendo history", then I can live with respecting that. As long as you don't use that opinion to infer that I think otherwise.

And if you think saying "Think people... Think... Do it now...." constitutes respecting my opinion, I think you need look up the word 'respect'.
Just take a seat, and calm down... I was doing it in a playful way... Stop being so brash, AND stop jumping to conclusions!

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Right. There is an unlimited amount of Pokemon in each... species? I don't know what they are considered. What I mean is, there is an unlimited amount of Pikachu's, an unlimited amount of Jigglypuff's, etc.

But the Pikachu you see in Smash, is, I assume, "thee" Pikachu that belongs to Ash (he is after all wearing his hat as an alternate costume.) From what I remember of the show, there was that "one" Jigglypuff that would follow the team around, and would draw on their faces after they would fall asleep from her songs. Don't forget Mewtwo, who was made by man, which means, one Mewtwo.

Now look at Meowth. He is in the same boat as Pikachu, Jigglypuff, etc. Except there is that "one" Meowth that speaks, and he is a member of Team Rocket.

This is why he is so popular. This is why I would not mind the addition of him in Brawl. At least he serves a more higher authority than the limitless amount of Pokemon that are out there.

SensFan

Smash Cadet
Kereokacola said:
Pit and Game and Watch are classic characters revived for Smash. I'd much rather see old heroes come to life rather than rehashing the use of Pokemon. It's beginning to make me churn. Please, I simply want unique and separate characters, is that too much to ask?
So are we going to have to wait for SSB7 before Pokemon are considered "old heroes"? Assuming they follow the same trends they did with Melee, we can expect some new guys, and some classic guys. They'll add Pit, and some other NES classics, you can also expect the big series (Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon) to get at least one newcomer as well.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of them dredging up old 8-bit characters that I've never heard of. Some of them are neat, but some of them (Pit, Dr. Mario, Game & Watch) shouldn't have been taken out of retirement. That's just my opinion, I know most disagree with me on that.

SensFan

Smash Cadet
FireStar said:
Just take a seat, and calm down... I was doing it in a playful way... Stop being so brash, AND stop jumping to conclusions!
My problem is that you are the one jumping to conclusions. By suggesting the possibility of Meowth as a newcomer, I want to add "every character in Nintendo history"?

JmcShocker14

Banned via Administration
FireStar said:
Shocker is here! Ok if they dont get the point you cant force it Firestar. just let them be fools. We'll have to punish them when this game comes out.

SensFan

Smash Cadet
Kereokacola said:
Right. There is an unlimited amount of Pokemon in each... species? I don't know what they are considered. What I mean is, there is an unlimited amount of Pikachu's, an unlimited amount of Jigglypuff's, etc.

But the Pikachu you see in Smash, is, I assume, "thee" Pikachu that belongs to Ash (he is after all wearing his hat as an alternate costume.) From what I remember of the show, there was that "one" Jigglypuff that would follow the team around, and would draw on their faces after they would fall asleep from her songs. Don't forget Mewtwo, who was made by man, which means, one Mewtwo.

Now look at Meowth. He is in the same boat as Pikachu, Jigglypuff, etc. Except there is that "one" Meowth that speaks, and he is a member of Team Rocket.

This is why he is so popular. This is why I would not mind the addition of him in Brawl. At least he serves a more higher authority than the limitless amount of Pokemon that are out there.
Exactly. Like I said, I haven't played anything beyong the original Blue/Red/Yellow and I haven't watched the TV show in ages, so I don't know if any of the new Pokemon (what are there, like 700 by now?) have risen to prominance like Meowth. I've seen glimpses of the show while channel surfing, and I see Meowth is still a mainstay. What he's also got going for him is the fact that he's built like a fighter. Jigglypuff was a stretch, but Meowth looks like he could kick and punch.

BTW, is double-posting typically frowned upon on this site?

JmcShocker14

Banned via Administration
SensFan said:
My problem is that you are the one jumping to conclusions. By suggesting the possibility of Meowth as a newcomer, I want to add "every character in Nintendo history"?

Firestar was not just talking to you. There are alot of people bringing dumb character ideas to this forum. You just happen to be one. i'm sorry

SensFan

Smash Cadet
JmcShocker14 said:
Firestar was not just talking to you. There are alot of people bringing dumb character ideas to this forum. You just happen to be one. i'm sorry
And I probably would have gotten the same reaction if I had suggested Ice Climbers, Pichu, Marth, Roy, Game & Watch, Dr. Mario, etc. prior to Melee. I don't know what you consider a dumb character idea, considering who's gotten in in the past. Personally, I would have given Pichu very slim odds of getting in over Meowth, but I guess that stupid idea came to fruition.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
JmcShocker14 said:
this is the most sensible character suggestion i have seen apart from Diddy Kong, Krystal and Little Mac

FireStar

Smash Apprentice
JmcShocker14 said:
Right! I think that they all should just calm down, and think about good characters to put in this.
If they want to keep talking, I'm going to have to do something about it.

nomis

Smash Journeyman
SensFan said:

SensFan said:
SensFan said:
And I probably would have gotten the same reaction if I had suggested Ice Climbers, Pichu, Marth, Roy, Game & Watch, Dr. Mario, etc. prior to Melee. I don't know what you consider a dumb character idea, considering who's gotten in in the past. Personally, I would have given Pichu very slim odds of getting in over Meowth, but I guess that stupid idea came to fruition.
Quoted for the ****** truth.

FireStar

Smash Apprentice
Just stop. I know for a fact that this meoth dream won't come true... Never mind that. Now that you mention how much pokemon has been used, theres not doubt in my mind that all 12billion won't be used.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
FireStar said:
Just stop. I know for a fact that this meoth dream won't come true... Never mind that. Now that you mention how much pokemon has been used, theres not doubt in my mind that all 12billion won't be used.
You don't know anything for a fact Meowth has a very large chance of being in SSBB but i'm not claiming that i know for a fact that Meowth will be in because no one but the producers know who's in the game for a fact

SensFan

Smash Cadet
xianfeng said:
You don't know anything for a fact Meowth has a very large chance of being in SSBB but i'm not claiming that i know for a fact that Meowth will be in because no one but the producers know who's in the game for a fact
Do they even know that? I was under the impression that the final roster for Brawl hasn't even been finalized.

Top Bottom