• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee's Best Button Combination

WFL

Smash Journeyman
I've been seeing all these topics about best and worst moves for specific characters, but what I want to know is what the best move overall is. I mean button combination, so how many character's back air or B moves are good.

I think the best overall move might be dair or nair.

About 18 characters have dairs that are used regularly as either a meteor smash or in a similar way to Fox's dril.

Most characters have nairs that are sex kicks or very comboable moves and are necessary to play the character at a competitive level.

WFL

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, forgot to say besides any move thats does the same for any character and the move has to inflict damage. So pick from one of these: A, Forward Tilt, Up Tilt, Down Tilt, Forward Smash, Up Smash, Down Smash, Nair, Fair, Bair, Uair, Dair, B, Forward B, Up B, Down B and that's it.

WFL

Smash Journeyman
Let me rephrase it once again since no one seems to understand. It's not the single move for a single character. Let's say your given a controller while you have a blind fold on and you can only choose one move for a random character that you would use most often, would it be nair, B, up smash, etc.

pchoo

Smash Cadet
Sorry, forgot to say besides any move thats does the same for any character and the move has to inflict damage. So pick from one of these: A, Forward Tilt, Up Tilt, Down Tilt, Forward Smash, Up Smash, Down Smash, Nair, Fair, Bair, Uair, Dair, B, Forward B, Up B, Down B and that's it.
o_O;
It doesn't make sense to restrict aerials to straight aerials because shufflc'ing them makes them better. Therefore if someone was going to say an aerial, they would tag on the shufflc into the button combination...

Also, why isn't grab included? or shield grab? Or any of the dodges? These are all button combinations...

Fletch

Smash Master
Is anybody actually reading what WFL is saying? He's saying pick the best/most used move throughout every character, so I have no idea why things like Falcon's Knee are getting mentioned. Anyways, I'd say F-Tilt and Bair would be close to overall effectiveness with the aforementioned Nair and Dair, as the top tier characters rely on those a lot, especially the Bair (Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, Peach).

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
not to sound mean, but yeah, everyone knows what hes saying. he's basically asking 'if you were having a 26 character ironman MM with someone, and you could only use a single move for the entire thing, what would you use?'...which is a pretty pointless question.

id have to go with up+b. cause if you dont have that, you dont live.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
That's why I said grab. It's a good move with every character. Don't even bother mentioning falco because you're wrong. It beats shields. It does damage. If you wanted something more specific than the button combonation of "z" then try x+z for the jc grab. If there is still some reason for this to not be considered. I'd have to say Nair. They usually have good priority, speed, range. Many can be used for shffld approaches, and many can be used as combo breakers & defense. It's also usually a good edgeguard move. Sometimes a good kill move. Often a great combo move.

WFL

Smash Journeyman
That's why I said grab. It's a good move with every character. Don't even bother mentioning falco because you're wrong. It beats shields. It does damage. If you wanted something more specific than the button combonation of "z" then try x+z for the jc grab. If there is still some reason for this to not be considered. I'd have to say Nair. They usually have good priority, speed, range. Many can be used for shffld approaches, and many can be used as combo breakers & defense. It's also usually a good edgeguard move. Sometimes a good kill move. Often a great combo move.
The only reason I said no grab because it's obviously the best overall for characters because it's a good move and it's almost the same thing for everyone.

Top Bottom