• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meleepalooza: December 29 Bay Area Tourney (new location!!)

itsSMASHtastic

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys wassup.

So I guess that you guys saw the new rules now. We decided to change it because we've been getting a lot of negative feed back and decided to cut down some of the matches for teams and have a REAL 1on1 TOURNY!!!

I'm thinking bout holding a Smashfest to get some good practice in, but it might not be as big as the WSB we held the other time. I'm thinking bout maybe 21st or 22nd, cause thats when my bro gets back, but since its too close to Christmas I not sure if any peeps will go.

I wonder what your guys' thoughts about the new rules. I felt as if it satisfies most of the Smashers, but if there's anything drastic that can be made to make it better than, there's still a lot of time to make improvements.

Hope to see you guys soon... hopefully it will be at a Smash gathering, if not then it better be at MELEEPALOOZA, which by the way is DECEMBER 29th!!!!

SMASH.... TOURNAMENT....MONEY.... how could you go wrong?

LEZ SMASH IT UP

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
It's go time. I'm bad.

Oh man, this tournament is only 2 weeks away. I mean, ONLY the best TG smashers except for Adam and maybe Vien, I don't know about Vien, will be there.

A few questions...

1. Who is Joe?

2. Are Wavebirds okay?

3. How is the voting system going to work for the stages?

4. How come no one is trash talking on this thread?

This tourney is going to be a lot of fun. :)

terrakalar

Smash Journeyman
wow!! a response!! thanks Scamp

1. Joe is this bro whose home will be host for the show. he also goes way back with SSB64; and he was at TG1 and TG3. teammed up with Gabe, called HRIIC or something like that. uses Marth.

2. Sure. I guess we can have a checkbox during signups (you'll fill out an official form during signups) if you're using wavebirds. if there's more than one then we'll assign your own personal channel for the day. not responsible for dying batteries. and we don't need to warn anyone about interfering with others' channels to mess em up...there'll be mad consequences if there is.

3. voting system: vote for 5 stages using signup form. we will tally b4 tourney...1st choice gets 3 tallies, 2nd choice gets 2 tallies, rest get 1 tally...the five stages with the most tallies are outta the random select.

4. simple. look at your subject line: "It's GO time." :bee:

but why grieve when you can dye (not "die" for the non-baseball fan). i concur with your last statement.

master blaster steele

Smash Rookie
hey, this is khoa, misc yoshi number 4 i guess. just thought i'd post because jeff and i are interested in going. hopefully we've improved a bit since the last time we were in vallejo. so yeah, watch out for the misc bros! hehehe look forward to seeing you guys there.

master blaster steele

Smash Rookie
hey master sword, yeah we're the guys that came with thejigglypuffer. btw, that WSB was a lot of fun.

it's pretty cool how we're getting some respect. but yeah.. we're not all that great. don't wanna get all this hype going and then be a let down. i still have a lot to work on with my yoshi. jeff's gotten better, i think, but we'll see how well he fares at the tourney.

terrakalar

Smash Journeyman
hey another important change!!!

WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Ok, just a quick update on the tourney. Due to some unfortunate circumstances, Joe can't have the tourney at his house anymore, awww crap.

So don't go to Joe's house on the 29th!!!! Go to our house instead, here's the address:

3703 Geyser Ct
Vallejo, CA 94591

Its in the same general part of Vallejo as Joe's house, so it shouldn't be too hard to find. Ima edit the first post too just so you won't miss it. Meleepaloooooooza.

itsSMASHtastic

Smash Apprentice
recipherus, adam, and vien

Whats the word on those guys? I'm pretty sure Vien and Adam can't make it, right? But what about recipherus.... I hope he's going cause we now have a 1on1 tourney.
What bout Malva , is he interested? I sure want to see his new skills.

LEZ SMASH BABY... 29th, BE THERE OR BE SQUARE

malva00

Smash Master
TheJigglyPuffer already said he'd take me, I might be his partner if he doesn't have one by then.

I've been training hard with a level 9 falco, the only comp I have...=(

Mattdeezie

Smash Lord
VIEN HERE

hey guys, i have a small chance of making it to meleepalooza. it all depends on my parents really, just letting you mofos know.

terrakalar

Smash Journeyman
al bundy says...

ohh crap, forgot to say, and i'm serious about this, because of the new location, yall got to take off your shoes b4 you come into the house (sorry guys lol, parents' order is above all). so yeah, make sure yall have a fresh change of socks that day.

exactly 2 weeks away, i guess we'll give a few more details about the tourney format in the upcoming days so that there won't be any confusion when u get there.

terrakalar

Smash Journeyman
playoff rules recap

OK, just so we have total understanding of the somewhat detailed rules, lemme go over the team playoff system and how to partake in the playoffs:

• Teams will be divided into 2-4 divisions. Likewise there will be anywhere from a 4-8 team, single elim playoffs (both depend on # of teams that show up).
  • Division winners (from 12-16 game preliminaries) automatically get into the playoffs. The rest of the playoff spots are wild cards given to the remaining teams with the best records.
  • Winning your div is important because it guarantees a playoff spot!! For example, say there are only 2 wild card spots. One of the division winners has a record of 9-5. Three NON-division winners have records of 11-3, 11-3, and 10-4. Even though the 10-4 team has a better record than that 9-5 team, the 9-5 team gets in because they won their division, and the two wild cards are filled by the 11-3 teams.
  • Playoff entrants are then seeded during the playoffs. Note that the top two seeds can ONLY be filled by division winners, ie a wild card CANNOT be the #2 seed.
  • For each matchup, Team attack will be determined by the higher seed. This team attack setting will remain for the entire matchup.
  • To two teams have equal records, we will use tiebreakers to determine who gets the higher seed (or who gets in the playoffs). We'll explain these tiebreakers later on.
  • We'll try to set up the divisions so that each division has at least one top-8 placer from the TG3 team tournament. The rest of the teams will be randomly placed in the divisions.

Yeah it may seem complicated, but to simplify, do two things: try to win all your games, and try to win the most important games-the games within your division.

Master Sword

Smash Journeyman
for anyone who's reading this thread and checking it out...if you're planning to come or even if you're not....tell everyone you know, who loves to play smash and wants to find some hardcore competition to come down to this bay area tourney...i know there are a lot of great smashers out there who don't even know these boards exist, and the only way they're ever gonna find out is if you let them know...i garauntee that they'll find a challenge at this tourney and overall a good time.....

remember...more competition equals a lot more fun....

only one week away....i can't wait...

RoyalFlush

Smash Cadet
this recipherus

ok, tourney is coming up. any predictions, hopes? My prediction will be that something surprising will happen. either a new player or character is going to take the tourney. I also have a feeling that many of the regulars are going to bust out different characters then they usually play and completely change the current tier list.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Predictions!

I feel that I will win this tourney. Why? So I can use the money to enter TG4. That's 40 bucks if I pay for my brother and I. How am I going to raise that much money? I'll tell you how. Winning Meleepalooza.

Seriously, though. It's hard to make predictions when I don't really know who's coming to this tourney. If you're going, please let your voice be heard. And I mean anyone other than Vallejo, Watsonville, or Berkeley.

LordLocke

Smash Journeyman
This is gonna be one crazy tourny that's gonna set the stage for TG4...

1) Looking at the notable missing players, we've got three of the top six TG3 teams not in attendance, or at least not in full form (Lusheki, Linxamus, quite possibly the Slobs), which means that it's a wide-open team tournament, with the Oakland A's, Pooh-z's, and Unfair Share (formerly Quad Damage) leading the way.

2) In the last months, we've learned that Jeremy isn't infallable, that many formerly-unnoteworthy characters are indeed noteworthy, that there are other regions, perhaps secluded, with some skilled comp of their own, and that a skilled Yoshi has at least a 50% chance at beating anybody. We've heard stories of Sam and Jeremy and Sam and the Vallejo crew and Sam and Deezie and Sam (Because Sam never shuts up about his favorite subject, which just happens to be Sam) And there may be stories not told which could weight in as heavilly. If not more so- after all, it's easier to keep secrets with a silent mouth...

3) A lot of people will be using this as a warm-up of sorts for TG4. Maybe not going to win, but to compare. Expect to see a lot more experimentation and more risks taken then TG3 was. This should make for a very exciting, and perhaps unexpected tournament.

4) Someone is going to do obscene things to a big name with Yoshi. This is written in stone. As for predictions, I'm going to say that the fate of Yoshi is shared between siblings, and that Sam is going to be the victim of 12/29's drive-by egging.

That is all.

jedren2000

Smash Rookie
Hmm... a tournament in the Bay Area this would be interesting. I've been looking for tournaments for so long, but never been able to participate in one, since I don't have a license yet. Others say I'm good at SSBM, but compared to the vids I saw I'm a newbie. I need some people who are a lot better than me. I hope I can go to this tourney. I can tell that lots of great players will be here. By the way, is there a particular person you know is the best in SSBM due to personal experience, if yes who? Would he be at the tourney?

mos8ball

Smash Rookie
TG3 DVD

For those of you who pre-ordered the TG3 DVD and who's payment cleared, expect to see them at your door this week! (International pre-orders will take longer...)

Hear's what you should expect to see...

- Custom TG3 Cover and DVD Labels
- Super Smash Bros. Melee Video Game Inteface
- Tournament Brackets where you can choose selected games to play by clicking a matchup (Good for studying particular tournament players).
- View matches by Character. Choose a character and watch all the selected matches featuring this character (Good for studying techniques of a character you want to learn more about or exploit).
- View matches by Stage. Choose a stage and watch all the selected matches featuring this stage (Good for studying a stage and how others utilize it to their advantage).
- Tournnament Logs by Matt and Vien (2 different points of view of TG3)

For those who have yet to purchase a copy, you can still order from the Monster Crayons Website.

or

You can purchase a copy at the Meleepalooza Tourney.

Why should you get your copy at Meleepalooza?
1. You don't have to pay for shipping! (Still have to pay tax.)
2. You can pay cash without the hassles of credit or checks!
3. You can preview the DVD before you buy!
4. You can see many of the players from TG3 in action and play against them!

This DVD is a must see for all TG4 Tournament Players. In any competitive event (Boxing, Basketball, Football, Video Game Tournamnets), the winning competitors always scout their competition to be more prepared.

If you haven't done so already, enjoy this sample match taken from the TG3 DVD. Follow the link from the following page...

In order for Monster Crayons to continue to provide quality service and goods, please post feedback upon reviewing the DVD. Thank you.

Master Sword

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by jedren2000
Hmm... a tournament in the Bay Area this would be interesting. I've been looking for tournaments for so long, but never been able to participate in one, since I don't have a license yet. Others say I'm good at SSBM, but compared to the vids I saw I'm a newbie. I need some people who are a lot better than me. I hope I can go to this tourney. I can tell that lots of great players will be here. By the way, is there a particular person you know is the best in SSBM due to personal experience, if yes who? Would he be at the tourney?
well there will be JR, Justin, and Jeremy, the 3 previous champions of the past 3 TG's which is the most popular tournament in california at this tourney...so to answer your question...yes there will be very good people at this tourney....not only the 3 i mentioned, but there will also be many TG veterans as well...

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
I might come....

I might come w/ my 5-man crew representing Aptos....is this still correct?

Where:
Junio house
3703 Geyser Ct
Vallejo, CA 94591

Starts at 10:00AM, come earlier for food....goes to what? And do we have to pay?

itsSMASHtastic

Smash Apprentice
terrakalar here

yup the address is still correct.

everybody, signups will be from 10:00-11:45, so that we can get play started by 12:30 at the latest. so please get here by 11:45 or else we'll assume you won't be here for the team tourney. if you're finding urself running a little late though, call us up to let us know, we can be a little flexible and **might** be able to wait up for you:

707 644 3354, ask for justin or james
707 319 8320, james' cell

better yet, either post in this thread or pm us ("itSMASHtastic" or "terrakalar") to let us know you're coming.

the food is just something to entice people to get here on time. just regular eggs, sausage and other breakfast stuff. no need to pay for the food. it's first come first serve though.

fees for the tourney, however, are $10 for the team tourney (ie $10 for the entire team), and $5 for the 1 on 1. All of this pot money will go to the top 3 placers of each tourney.

1psemet

Smash Journeyman
Ola people. With the recent influx of Christmas cash, me and mine have decided that we may well come down there to test the waters before tg4. The only problem is that we don't want to go about driving all night and immediately go into a tourney. If we came, could anyone put us up for saturday night? We could sleep in the car I suppose but that's a ghetto-*** solution to be used as the last resort. Well, it's not entirely certain that I'll make it, but hope to see you people soon.

I assume there'll be plenty of times for some exhibition matches at some point? I'd want to get some random matches in against Scamp and Deezie at least.

Mattdeezie

Smash Lord
If you need a place to stay, my place is open.

Also, I plan on having a smash fest on Sat, that way we can get some practice for meleepalooza. So yea, Ill post up about it later.

Edit: I know Vallejo was maybe planning one too. If they want to host, then I can go to that. My place is just an option. Whatever the masses want.

RoyalFlush

Smash Cadet
this recipherus

that's cool, i'll be there saturday too to practice. It will be fun playing you guys. So how many guys are coming?

1psemet

Smash Journeyman
Well, if we're coming down, I'm pretty sure that Eoraptors partner won't be able to make it unfortunately. So that'd make three of us unless we can find some extra person... If you're going to have a smashfest on sat we could arrive earlier that day and participate, then crash at your graciously offered house.

1psemet

Smash Journeyman
Master Sword: Nope, I hail from the horrific, mind-numbing state of WA. It's like a twelve or fourteen hour drive or something.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Actually...

...I calculated that it'd take about 10 hours to get from here to there. But that's assuming no traffic and that you drive around 80 miles an hour. Maybe 75.

And I can probably make a smashfest on Saturday. Sam probably can't, but you never know for sure. Anyway, if the fest was at Deezie's house and not in Vallejo, it'd make my life easier as Saturday is also the day of ComboFiend's last tourney for a while. (At Sunnyvale Golfland.) How can I resist watching one of the two people to win a set against Justin Wong at MvC2 at Evolution? Oh, and he's good at GGXX too. Tragic vs. CF, too good.

So, it's only about 20 minutes from SVGL to Matt's house, but if I'm going to Vallejo that's 1 hour to SVGL, and then 1 hour and 40 minutes to Vallejo. And then 40 minutes home. Actually, if the fest is in Vallejo, I might just bring a sleeping bag and stay there, and then see if Sam can find a way there on his own. That's right, I'm the mole.

Master Sword

Smash Journeyman
Matt: i doubt that us vallejoans are going to hold a smashfest the day before the tourney (why not have the tourney that day?)...so if you want to call it official that it's gonna be at your place, go right ahead...i'm sure it will make life a whole lot easier on dave on that day and sam the next...

Botsu

Smash Apprentice
And I can probably make a smashfest on Saturday. Sam probably can't, but you never know for sure. Anyway, if the fest was at Deezie's house and not in Vallejo, it'd make my life easier as Saturday is also the day of ComboFiend's last tourney for a while. (At Sunnyvale Golfland.) How can I resist watching one of the two people to win a set against Justin Wong at MvC2 at Evolution? Oh, and he's good at GGXX too. Tragic vs. CF, too good.

Hrmm... Maybe i can bug my bro to bring me down saturday... then we can hit SVGL with you. Go visit Orochi, Lil' B and Halister heh. *shrugs* I'll find out....

ZelgadisQmega

Smash Apprentice
Seeming as though both my partner AND my backup partner, BOTH backed out at the last minute, I will not be participating in the team portion. I might still be there, but thats if I can get a ride tomorrow morning, but since it will only be me, that is unlikley. I will most likely be there for the one on one part. So I will see you all there. Also, I am considering looking for a new partner for TG4, if anyone is interested please PM me, if you are at Meleepalooza, we can talk about it there.

EDIT: If I do get a ride, how early can I be there? My ride (if any) can only drop me off at around 9:00-9:30 . Is this OK?

itsSMASHtastic

Smash Apprentice
zeldas, yo sorry for late reply, but yeah you can be there at 9-930. don't give up on team portion just yet, maybe there might be another lone player out there you can team up with.

Top Bottom