• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee or Brawl? First week results up. [Second week results go up 6/05]

Which would you rather play?

• Melee

Votes: 89 62.2%
  • Brawl

Votes: 54 37.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Icekid still plays to btw, hes still really good as well. he just doesnt have the money to go to tournaments for awhile. So hes stackin up. I think he's gonna start goin to tourneys again by the end of the month. I know he'll be on the 5/31 tourney.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Nah hes still good, he uses Rob now to.

Rob goes every with snake make sure you get Rob practice or you'll be surprised.

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
Afro, the difference is that Snake and Metaknight absolutely **** every other character in the game. If the two characters were taken out, then I would agree with what you're saying.

Regardless, I would be pleased if both games continued side-by-side.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Afro, the difference is that Snake and Metaknight absolutely **** every other character in the game. If the two characters were taken out, then I would agree with what you're saying.

Regardless, I would be pleased if both games continued side-by-side.
Fox/Falco/Marth dont?

Saying that Snake absolutely ***** every other character is just straight out bull****. I beat snakes when i mained d3 all the time. No offense to the snake players that im refering to, but the match seemed even when i did it. The only snake player to beat me in a set is lambchops.
EDIT: Making my record vs snake (while using D3) 3-1.

People can win the fight, its just hard.

Finch

Smash Lord
Brawl is boring. That is just fact. People who have never tried high level melee should really do so rather than argue on only one side of the issue.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Brawl is boring. That is just fact. People who have never tried high level melee should really do so rather than argue on only one side of the issue.
Theres no point in people who would be just getting into melee even trying to beat people who have been playing for years. If i did pick up melee again and tried to play, i sure as hell wouldnt be going to tournaments to win, cuz i'd have no chance of beating people with my few months of experience, compared to everyone elses years or more.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
Fox/Falco/Marth dont?

Saying that Snake absolutely ***** every other character is just straight out bull****. I beat snakes when i mained d3 all the time. No offense to the snake players that im refering to, but the match seemed even when i did it. The only snake player to beat me in a set is lambchops.
EDIT: Making my record vs snake (while using D3) 3-1.

People can win the fight, its just hard.
I think Snake is an awful match up for Peach, but not impossible. It's not exactly something I ENJOY doing, but ya know, Snake isn't so over powered that he's just unstoppable.

I voted for Brawl because I never played Melee, and every time I watch people play Melee, it makes me never want to play it. First Gigs I went to I was watching Melee casuals, and it really just made me angry. All it was was Fox's shining all day long until they got a kill. Uh, that's not fun to me. It may be fun to 5764937486659 other players in the world, but, not to me. I admittedly have never, ever played Melee, so my opinion is of the game is probably THE LEAST reputable of anyone else's in this thread, but it is an opinion after all, and I just have a sour taste in my mouth from what I've seen.

Not to say that there aren't things wrong with Brawl, as there certainly are. Tell me how tripping only happens at the most crucial of times for me, haha.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Tripping with grenades in your hand is the best. Everytime it happens i cant help but go WTF, then laugh afterwords.

Finch

Smash Lord
I started learning how to wavedash and L-cancel around last october and I beat Will's Falcon (because he doesn't know how to beat icys) a week ago. I still get 3-4 stocked by the best players (hungrybox) but I have so much room for improvement ahead of me. If you're dedicated you can learn melee relatively quickly.

Also don't pick up ice climbers because they are the most complicated character in both games.

AfroQT

Smash Master
I started learning how to wavedash and L-cancel around last october and I beat Will's Falcon (because he doesn't know how to beat icys) a week ago. I still get 3-4 stocked by the best players (hungrybox) but I have so much room for improvement ahead of me. If you're dedicated you can learn melee relatively quickly.

Also don't pick up ice climbers because they are the most complicated character in both games.
Relatively as in i'll never beat the people who have been playing for years.

I play to win, and logically me picking up melee to win tournaments is impossible at this point.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
It'd be nice if this could be a poll of personal preference rather than elitist Melee nerds bashing people that happen to like Brawl.

Maybe Melee is the better game, maybe not. Either way it's still old as balls and I'm tired of it. Wouldn't it be better to work towards making the Brawl scene the way Melee was rather than going back to the same old stuff? It's embarrassing enough telling people you play a Wii game competitively, much less a gamecube one.

The whole MK/Snake thing is ******** too btw as everybody and their dog played Fox/Falco in Melee with the occasional Marth.

Finch

Smash Lord
First Gigs I went to I was watching Melee casuals, and it really just made me angry. All it was was Fox's shining all day long until they got a kill. Uh, that's not fun to me.
This seems a tad hypocritical coming from someone defending a game where MKs win tournaments spamming tornado. It's also funny because you are completely wrong about the shine, but you can't say I'm wrong about the tornado. Obviously this will change, but as of now this is how it is.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
I'll go out on a limb and say that that's my problem then, because I am the least vidya game dedicated person ever. Honestly, if Peach wasn't as fun as she is, I wouldn't be playing Brawl, either. Just so happens I managed to find a sweet as character I enjoy, and met some sweet *** dudes that play smash competitively, and because of those two things, here I am, arguing with people on smashboards as if mine (or anyone elses, lets be real) opinion is valid on which game is better. People will play whichever they like more, and arguing either way isn't going to change that oooone bit :)

SO CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG

Gingerr

Smash Lord
This seems a tad hypocritical coming from someone defending a game where MKs win tournaments spamming tornado. It's also funny because you are completely wrong about the shine, but you can't say I'm wrong about the tornado. Obviously this will change, but as of now this is how it is.
Sure I can, where was a spammy Meta Knight player last Gigs? Hmm, let's see, Oh! Not top 10, that's for sure.

Looks like that MK plan has already been foiled, that took, what? A month? Yet people are STILL playing Melee (I suppose this is what you kids would refer to as "the right way") in a way that makes me never want to touch it.

So, to be quite frank, if you want to argue with my opinion, then argue with this one: I'm a girl and it's pretty and Peach is cute and I like it because it's pretty and cute.

Yeah, go ahead.

AfroQT

Smash Master
You know what your right thats what it is w/e.

All im going to say is, until someone proves that there is either
A. No skill
B. Something Incredibly Broken

in brawl. Theres NO REASON to go back to melee, cuz whether you like it or not, there IS a skill gap. I know i consistently place high at tournaments, i know other people do to. And until that isnt the case, theres no reason for there not to be brawl tournaments.

But hey im a "brawl-nub", im a brain dead scrub i suck. Brawl is all luck and involves little ACTUAL skill again its just rolling dice.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
Guys, please, I understand we all have our different opinions, but this isn't the place to speak up about it. Too many debate threads already. Check out Scar's thread in the General Brawl Discussion.

I really don't mind it personally, but I just don't want this to get locked.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
I thought we already figured out that you only win because you play a completely, 100% broken character that is unstoppable. It's not because you're good or understand the game, DUH MATT GOSH.

At least you're the best at Guilty Gear in the country. You've always got that to fall back on.

crispyone

Smash Journeyman
Theres no point in people who would be just getting into melee even trying to beat people who have been playing for years. If i did pick up melee again and tried to play, i sure as hell wouldnt be going to tournaments to win, cuz i'd have no chance of beating people with my few months of experience, compared to everyone elses years or more.
I understand what you are saying and agree that if I was just getting into melee I wouldn't go to tournaments. But, that doesn't mean you can't play friendlies and get better at melee. For example, I believe you have met someone named Seth recently. He's decent at melee but wins only a few matches when we play. He wins more matches when we play brawl but still says that he has more fun playing melee.

Playing melee at a competitive level is more fun that playing brawl at a competitive level IMO. I also feel that I had much more control over my character in melee.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
Guys, please, I understand we all have our different opinions, but this isn't the place to speak up about it. Too many debate threads already. Check out Scar's thread in the General Brawl Discussion.

Just in case you guys missed it. ;)

Finch

Smash Lord
I actually did want to change your minds. I thought competitive players might be more open minded and actually try a game that most people say is better than the one you're playing now. I guess not.

AfroQT

Smash Master
I understand what you are saying and agree that if I was just getting into melee I wouldn't go to tournaments. But, that doesn't mean you can't play friendlies and get better at melee. For example, I believe you have met someone named Seth recently. He's decent at melee but wins only a few matches when we play. He wins more matches when we play brawl but still says that he has more fun playing melee.

Playing melee at a competitive level is more fun that playing brawl at a competitive level IMO. I also feel that I had much more control over my character in melee.
I respect your opinion, i feel nearly the complete opposite way (with me enjoying brawl more then melee). I just dont understand why brawl gets bashed, people say thing that make no sense like it takes no skill, its all luck, Snake/mk are overpowered (as if fox/falco/marth werent).

AfroQT

Smash Master
I actually did want to change your minds. I thought competitive players might be more open minded and actually try a game that most people say is better than the one you're playing now. I guess not.
While gingerr said she did not play melee, i DID play melee i was just not very good. At the time of me picking up melee (almost 3 years ago), i had no one to practice with, and could only afford to go to 1 tournament (MLG Orlando). Basically my melee career failed before it even began. Now that a new game has come out, and the playing field has been significantly even'd out (or was even'd out, now there is a significant gap between new players and people winning tourneys), i have the want to go to tourneys again and can afford it. Its not like i've never played melee competitively, i wasnt very good i'll say, but i know about it. I read about all the big tourneys and stuff online (though i wasnt there, not saying i was). I tried to stay in the melee community, hell i even made posts on the forum (in the ATLSouth forum) before brawl came out, but no one even read those lol.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
Just because a lot of people like a game doesn't mean everyone will. Tons of people like Tekken, that doesn't necessarily make it the best fighter. Tons of people like In the Groove over Dance Dance Revolution, again, that doesn't necessarily make it the better game. People are just going to have differing opinions, and there's nothing anyone can do about that. The majority of people thought slavery was a good idea, that doesn't mean it was lol

I'm not trying to change your opinion, you shouldn't be trying to change mine. I respect yours enough to see it, and instead of arguing against yours, just stating mine, perhaps you should consider the same.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Just because a lot of people like a game doesn't mean everyone will. Tons of people like Tekken, that doesn't necessarily make it the best fighter. Tons of people like In the Groove over Dance Dance Revolution, again, that doesn't necessarily make it the better game. People are just going to have differing opinions, and there's nothing anyone can do about that. The majority of people thought slavery was a good idea, that doesn't mean it was lolI'm not trying to change your opinion, you shouldn't be trying to change mine. I respect yours enough to see it, and instead of arguing against yours, just stating mine, perhaps you should consider the same.
Slavery was a **** good idea.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise

Our mods are pretty chill in Atl South. Unless some other mod comes in and mistakes this for an actual argument where people are really getting angry, you don't have to worry about it getting locked.
*snip* Peach is fun *snip*
SO CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG
I agree that Brawl Peach is fun. But then I play Melee Peach and have that much more fun.
That's actually a large part of my problem. I play Brawl, and have fun with Samus and Peach. Then I go back to Melee and play the same characters and enjoy myself even more.
And we are just getting along! I'm not angry.

Afro:
I expected to get much more a rise out of you than that. Where's the fun in that? Although it did amuse me that you felt the need to respond on a forum which you criticized me for taking too seriously. Again, if it didn't matter you needn't have responded.
You play GG? True.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Our mods are pretty chill in Atl South. Unless some other mod comes in and mistakes this for an actual argument where people are really getting angry, you don't have to worry about it getting locked.

I agree that Brawl Peach is fun. But then I play Melee Peach and have that much more fun.
That's actually a large part of my problem. I play Brawl, and have fun with Samus and Peach. Then I go back to Melee and play the same characters and enjoy myself even more.
And we are just getting along! I'm not angry.

Afro:
I expected to get much more a rise out of you than that. Where's the fun in that? Although it did amuse me that you felt the need to respond on a forum which you criticized me for taking too seriously. Again, if it didn't matter you needn't have responded.
You play GG? True.
I dont care enough to post multiple paragraphs at someone in a single post.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Alright well im done posting. I cant post anymore cuz the townspeople are blocking my way. So imma go Ike it up in Fire Emblem, then bullet hell it up in Castle of SHIKIGAMI SONNNNNN.

I'll be at seibriks tourney, winning money and not complaining that i dont like brawl.

sexual predator

Smash Rookie
I heard your the modest kid ever when you win tourneys but when you lose you wanna commit suicide whats up with that. DONT LOSE

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
While gingerr said she did not play melee, i DID play melee i was just not very good. At the time of me picking up melee (almost 3 years ago), i had no one to practice with, and could only afford to go to 1 tournament (MLG Orlando). Basically my melee career failed before it even began. Now that a new game has come out, and the playing field has been significantly even'd out (or was even'd out, now there is a significant gap between new players and people winning tourneys), i have the want to go to tourneys again and can afford it. Its not like i've never played melee competitively, i wasnt very good i'll say, but i know about it. I read about all the big tourneys and stuff online (though i wasnt there, not saying i was). I tried to stay in the melee community, hell i even made posts on the forum (in the ATLSouth forum) before brawl came out, but no one even read those lol.
I dont care enough to post multiple paragraphs at someone in a single post.
O RLY?

Linguini

Smash Master
Afro, cmon bro, you cant be seriously defending how much you LOVE brawl or enjoy playing it. After gigs you were talking about quitting and ranting about how the game was completely stupid.

But suddenly when you win $700 in one weekend "brawl is the best!!!!".

Im just going with the flow and I respect brawl players but when they try to argue that melee had a more dominant character winning base I cant help but to laugh.

Brawl is extremely unbalanced, and even though matchups were tough in melee, they were never completely, utterly impossible(DK vs D3, Marth vs Ness).

I played ganon in melee and did very well against sheiks even though it was regarded as one of the game's worst matchups.
Basically it's not comparable.

BrawlRoolz

Smash Cadet
This game is gonna revolve around certain characters needing a "backup" character.

This is common in fighting games.

Most smash players dont realize this cuz this is thier first competitive game.

C......

Smash Apprentice
This game is gonna revolve around certain characters needing a "backup" character.

This is common in fighting games.

Most smash players dont realize this cuz this is thier first competitive game.
i coulda sworn that was the reason y most melee players start with a main and pick up secondaries, then eventually realize that any character can win if played perfectly (or well enough) .
in my opinion, melee is the type of game where u can always bring a win bak from anything if u have the skill and mindgames.

wit brawl on the other hand, it feels like whoever gets the first stock wins because all they have to do after that is spam projectiles and run...

but thats just my opinion

Pritch

Smash Lord
Afro, cmon bro, you cant be seriously defending how much you LOVE brawl or enjoy playing it. After gigs you were talking about quitting and ranting about how the game was completely stupid.

But suddenly when you win $700 in one weekend "brawl is the best!!!!".
I lol'ed.

Anyways,

About what a couple of people have been saying about anyone who tries to get into melee now being screwed, I played Xoff in jacksonville last september/october when he'd been playing for ~a month and he was already doing most of the baseline technical stuff pretty consistantly. He still was a bit inexperienced (it didn't help that since I left jax pretty much no one there plays peach, so he wasn't familiar with the matchup). But he learned stuff fast, and even with so little time put into the game he was making me work for my wins.

It can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom