• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee online for the Wii? Wii can make it happen.

Zodiac

Smash Master
The Gamecube was not designed to go out online. It was a jerry rig setup that allowed them to do this. The Wii on the other hand was designed to work over the internet.
Of course heres the problem, The wii goes into cube mode when you play a cube game, it doesnt emulate it at all. it actually is a cube at that point.

However if we could just get melee to be recognized as a wii game then we could make use of the wii's online components as well, making things considerably much easier.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
Of course heres the problem, The wii goes into cube mode when you play a cube game, it doesnt emulate it at all. it actually is a cube at that point.

However if we could just get melee to be recognized as a wii game then we could make use of the wii's online components as well, making things considerably much easier.
Which that is largely a software issue over a hardware. Since that is the case it won't be nearly as hard as trying to get a Gamecube online.

game set

Smash Apprentice
i found this topic as i was just about to ask why nobody had figured out how to make melee online yet. if there anything i could do to make this happen tell me.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
Dolphin is now Open Source, meaning Melee on the PC @ 60 fps is one step closer. Online would be much more bearable on a PC I would imagine. Though, keep in mind that making it open source doesn't magically make everything work, but hopefully it will get there faster with every interested person helping out.

http://www.dolphin-emu.com/

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
Hey, not sure if anyone remembers me, I was heavily involved with the GCARS-CS scene back when it was actively being maintained. Fuzziqer is a 1st-year Caltech student now, and has virtually no free time to work on GCARS-CS. However, I'm doing a science fair project involving getting something similar to GCARS-CS to work on a Wii. Fuzziqer is advising me, but he's not involved in programming. Due to free time constraints and science fair rules, I will probably not get much done on the project before March 1 or so. After that point, the project will commence, hopefully quickly.

The problem, of course, is that the way GCARS-CS works, it absolutely will not work on a Wii without some major firmware hacks on the Wii. I don't want to take that route. Instead, I'm making something new from scratch, using none of the original GCARS-CS code. The new architecture should be quite a bit more flexible, allowing for things like multiple local players, region-free play (including allowing 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 users to play together), and even (albeit VERY buggy) 6-player matches. It should work the same on a GameCube or Wii.

Keep in mind that this is still very early, and it is unclear how well it will work. And I reserve the right to cancel the project if it's not working well. But I thought you guys might be interested in the existence of the project. :)

PS: Sorry for the bump; I don't check these forums very often. :embarrass

Top Bottom