• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee on Computer

Destiny Warrior

Smash Apprentice
(NO this is NOT suggesting online Melee)

This thread is about the differences between Melee on the console and the computer, discussion on which you find easier to play with, etc.

The ones I've noticed so far are:-

Console
+Can use tilts without buffering
+Can angle wavedashes
+Can tilt shields

Emulator
+Crazy good DI
+Freedom in control setup to suit your convenience

Discuss!

Gaggy Rogers

Smash Rookie
(NO this is NOT suggesting online Melee)

This thread is about the differences between Melee on the console and the computer, discussion on which you find easier to play with, etc.

The ones I've noticed so far are:-

Console
+Can use tilts without buffering
+Can angle wavedashes
+Can tilt shields

Emulator
+Crazy good DI
+Freedom in control setup to suit your convenience

Discuss!
Also the delicious Great Fox textures on Corneria on PC. :D
PS, you can use gamecube controllers with emulators.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Damn the great fox textures, SO GOOD, but it really depends on what control scheme your using. If i adapt a GC controller to my computer it would be the exact same. but using a ps3 controller is slightly different since the ps3 analog sticks dont offer as tight or accurate control as GC sticks do.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I always use a GC Controller. The reasons I like playing on my computer are that I can install texture hacks and I can play Melee at school. The downside is that my laptop can only handle FD and only two players. And that's with a lot of the graphics disabled.

EDIT: Whenever I'm at home I use my Cube, though. The emulator is just for lunches at school, or when I finish my work in classes early.

NNID
dansalvato
The downside is that my laptop can only handle FD and only two players. And that's with a lot of the graphics disabled.
We're working on optimizing the emulator to run Melee much smoother than it currently does. There's a LOT that goes on in the emulator right now that Melee doesn't need, so hopefully we'll see some good success by stripping it down.

Having Melee run well on average PCs will be a huge step in the community, since bringing a Melee setup around with you will simply be a matter of grabbing your laptop rather than a bulky TV.

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
I play ssbm dolphin with my roomate using GC controllers, works kinda okay, not going to be the same as a console since there is a slight 15ms delay from input to the game.
(unless my HDMI tv is lagging, which is weird i unno)

NNID
dansalvato
I play ssbm dolphin with my roomate using GC controllers, works kinda okay, not going to be the same as a console since there is a slight 15ms delay from input to the game.
(unless my HDMI tv is lagging, which is weird i unno)
If you're getting a full frame rate, then either your GCN to USB adapter is no good or your TV is lagging. You can test by opening up the controller config and watching the red lights turn on as you press buttons.

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
If you're getting a full frame rate, then either your GCN to USB adapter is no good or your TV is lagging. You can test by opening up the controller config and watching the red lights turn on as you press buttons.
Pretty sure its my crappy HDTV. Insignia sucks at this kinda stuff, its an early model too.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
A friend of mine has a small room and he doesn't have room for a tv, so we emulate on his desktop pretty frequently.

I have a harder time fast falling on there but otherwise I haven't noticed many game play differences.

When we're at his house we use the 3 in 1 Magic Joy Box (the first result on google under 'gamecube to usb adaptor') with game cube controllers.

It's $20 and it works pretty well. Config can be a pain in the *** sometimes but I think thats more about dolphin than it is the adaptor.

:phone:

:phone:

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I use the 3 in 1 Joy Box too, you can get it here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RLWF7I

I had to put in the config for the control stick and c stick myself because dolphin wouldn't recognize I was moving it, but once I put it in everything worked fine. The other thing I had to put in manually was the Sliders for the L and R triggers. If you don't put it in, then you can't air dodge. I can post my config if people want me to. I only have one, though, so if anyone else wants to play with me they have to use a PS2 or Xbox controller.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
because the melee controller triggers have 2 buttons in them.
the first (half pressed) is the light shield, then the second (fully pressed) is the regular shield

What exactly can you do to improve the fps? The only thing I can do is put it at a frame skip 9 and it runs relatively fine with 1v1.
Someone mentioned disabling textures/backgrounds somehow?

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I use these settings:

They allow me to run most tourney stages at full speed in 2P. Also, go into Task Manager and make sure the priority is set to high.

Top Bottom