• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Netplay - The Future is Now (New and improved!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

p1ns

Smash Cadet
When I play with Lugimitsu from UK we have some 'packet loss' problems that I don't know why. We have good ping (70-80ms) but we cannot play 60 fps. Does any developer know if any TCP settings can mess online gameplay ?

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
70-80ms is NOT good ping. Internationally, 40ms is the upper limit of "good" ping, and locally, 10ms.
Packet loss would mostly be caused by 1 of 3 things:

1) One of you is using Wi-Fi
2) One of you has satellite internet
3) One of you has a terrible ISP

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since Dolphin is shaping up to be quite the netplay emulator, would anyone be interested in SD Remix netplay?

p1ns

Smash Cadet
70-80ms is NOT good ping. Internationally, 40ms is the upper limit of "good" ping, and locally, 10ms.
Packet loss would mostly be caused by 1 of 3 things:

1) One of you is using Wi-Fi
2) One of you has satellite internet
3) One of you has a terrible ISP

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since Dolphin is shaping up to be quite the netplay emulator, would anyone be interested in SD Remix netplay?
It's possible to play Net Play with that ping, I have played with american players with about 120 ms @ 60fps without any problems.

In my part I do not use wifi, don't have satellite inet and my ISP is quite good, actually I'm connecting on a HFC network. Then I suppose the problem is not mine, but I still want to know if there are any TCP parameters that could affect performance of NetPlay.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
How do you know it's packet loss? So many more things can cause desyncs, that it's hard to know that it's the problem. If you're experiencing periodic slowdown, make sure you're not using any audio, as LLE audio tends to slowdown during certain attacks.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
It's possible to play Net Play with that ping, I have played with american players with about 120 ms @ 60fps without any problems.

In my part I do not use wifi, don't have satellite inet and my ISP is quite good, actually I'm connecting on a HFC network. Then I suppose the problem is not mine, but I still want to know if there are any TCP parameters that could affect performance of NetPlay.
Of course netplay with that ping is possible, it's just that the input lag is atrocious.

RoyalSyrup

Smash Cadet
To everyone and anyone who wants to be added to the skype group, I can add you, just send me your skype contact Via PM.

Zoler

Smash Ace
Could someone invite me to this skype group or whatever you guys use? :) I would like to try this and I've configured the settings according to this guide.

S4ndler

Smash Rookie
I have a i7 3970 x Edition
2x 680m GeForce
32gb Kingston hyper x ram

Would someone like to Test?

p1ns

Smash Cadet
Hi guys I had some weeks ago a HDD crash and I am still recovering. I hope that I am available soon to play online.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
How many people play Net-play nowadays? I'm looking into configuring my dolphin net-play soon.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
my isp is great(can give ping and speed test) and my machine is 3rd gen i7 16G ram and 4g video memory. would I be set? obviously I would only p2p play

oats_

Smash Apprentice
my isp is great(can give ping and speed test) and my machine is 3rd gen i7 16G ram and 4g video memory. would I be set? obviously I would only p2p play
16GB of ram and a 4GB graphics card? I hope you are joking, those specs FAR exceed the specs you need. I have 6GB ram, a bad i7, and a GTX 550 and I can run 60 fps easily.

Engo

Smash Ace
Are laptops in general just not good for this?I don't know all that much about computers but I'm gonna paste some specs and hopefully someone can give me some feedback if they're any good for running melee online.

8GB ram
the memory card AMD Radeon HD 7640G, 4GB
Processor AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4CPUS), 1.9 Ghz

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Are laptops in general just not good for this?I don't know all that much about computers but I'm gonna paste some specs and hopefully someone can give me some feedback if they're any good for running melee online.

8GB ram
the memory card AMD Radeon HD 7640G, 4GB
Processor AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4CPUS), 1.9 Ghz
For laptops, you're gonna want to run a recent Intel i5 or i7.
Your graphics should be more than good enough, but your CPU will most likely lag on stages like FoD.
You could try turning on the OpenMP texture decoder and seeing if that helps. If not, OpenCL is actually a good bet since there is very little latency between the CPU and GPU on your chip.

Engo

Smash Ace
If I were to play on just the the stages in the OP that are easiest to run like Dreamland and Battlefield, do you think I could run the game at a good speed?

edit: With my current specs which I posted in my last post

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
If I were to play on just the the stages in the OP that are easiest to run like Dreamland and Battlefield, do you think I could run the game at a good speed?
That's a good question. I think dual-core mode should handle it, and if not, use the 45FPS hack.

Koopa|o.O

Smash Cadet
if anyone in the US wants to set up some matches hit me up...still debating buying a gamecube usb converter b/c no one has answered but i really wanna try this out already

Engo

Smash Ace
I just got it on my laptop and just wanna try it out. I doubt I'll be able to play proper matches but if you want to test it out with me pm me

edit: If anyone is willing to guide me through how to play online and test it out with me I would appreciate it. I don't think I'll actually be able to run it well but I'm interested in attempting it out of curiosity.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
if anyone in the US wants to set up some matches hit me up...still debating buying a gamecube usb converter b/c no one has answered but i really wanna try this out already
Seriously, 5 people have asked about adapters in the last 3 pages of this thread alone. Read those.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
A lot of the information about Dolphin is outdated thanks to huge contributions from the developers of the emulator. I'll be very pleased to make a new thread where I can actually update the first post with the new information. Yeah, I know April 1st isn't exactly the best day to announce this, but, considering that the last two days have been mostly confirming (overjoyously) new developments in the emulator, I didn't want to wait any longer! All the difficult conditions, annoying settings, and other trials that people have gone through for netplay have helped show the developers that we are serious about netplay. As not to sound like a prank, here is a rundown of the features in the works (not yet pushed)

Audio no longer requires LLE; HLE Audio (Free, doesn't require dumped files and is fast) will work with netplay.
A type of dualcore mode is being developed for netplay (Not quite as fast, but fixes the desyncs)
General Emulator Improvements have made it so every last facet of Melee is virtually perfect, it will be rated as "perfect" under emulation quality. (And Already is in Master!)

Those are the big features, but there are tons of subtle improvements as well. You can follow the development of dolphin at http://dolphin-emu.org for further information on the emulator's many other changes, and I'll try to keep people up on the fixes for the smash series in a new thread. Once the new thread is posted, this one is likely to be closed due to lack of updates in the original post.

I hope everyone has a good april fool's day, but this update is for real!

Sangoku

Smash Master
I have a i7 3970 x Edition
2x 680m GeForce
32gb Kingston hyper x ram

Would someone like to Test?
I have a Intel Xeon E5-4650 and a 3-way Titan SLI :).

Seriously, why do you have such an overpowered computer?

Also, does this thread mean we all have lost hope in massive and internet explorer's project? Or does it mean we can play decently with dolphin? (sorry I didn't read it all)

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Dolphin works fine now without needing anything extra when you have a decent computer. If you have a less than decent computer, you use codes or have to wait for another way to sync dolphin using dualcore. Or you just deal with desyncs every now and again and reset the emulator. It's not that bad.

This thread will be closed down soon, I have a new thread to make with better instructions that I will be able to update first post on. Sorry for the inconvenience

Edit: If a mod or something could lockdown this thread, it'd be nice. New thread is at http://smashboards.com/threads/dolphin-online-melee-netplay.335432/

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I got it. Glad to see the folks over at Dolphin finally making this happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom