• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

RODO

Smash Ace
So in Brawl and Melee there were special vs mode options such as lighting mode or giant mode (not sure if those are the real names). If they wanted to appeal to the hardcore melee players why not just make a melee mode?? They'd just have to change the air dodge, make frontal ledge grabbing required and tweak the hitstun a bit. Seems like it would be an easy solution to please everyone and I'd love to have the option to play with both air dodges since I like both Brawl and PM.

Alm5252

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ALM5252
I think that would be really cool. They should have an N64 mode too that either makes everyone low-polygon, or adjust the gameplay to be like Super Smash Bros. 64. All modes would be great!

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
I had this idea too. The biggest problem would be balancing characters for two different modes.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
There's balancing for two different modes, arguing over said modes to be used in tournaments, trampling on the whole reason of making SSB4's mechanics what they are in the first place...

Really, this is a gigantic opened can o' worms.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Give everyone a copy of Melee. That'll make the Melee vets happy.

In all seriousness, you basically are asking for a whole 'nother game. Changing effects/properties of individual characters is one thing, changing entire game mechanics is another. Seems like wasted effort, and as neat as it'd be, there will never be another 'Melee' (meaning change all that you like, it still won't be the same. The same is true for all imitations, none are quite the real deal).

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
There's balancing for two different modes, arguing over said modes to be used in tournaments, trampling on the whole reason of making SSB4's mechanics what they are in the first place...

Really, this is a gigantic opened can o' worms.
Really this. Especially if they added a Brawl and 64 mode too at which point you're basically voiding the entire new game. let's not kid ourselves, guess what the most popular mode would be.

It's one of those things that sounds cool at first but when you think about it it'd be terrible.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
*Sigh... *Sighs all around... Why not play Melee? Why not play Project M? Smash 4 can be its own game and be great without having to be Melee + characters.

yume_nikki

Smash Cadet
I think the best would be having both air dodges in the normal mode: you use L/R for the Brawl airdodge and the unused jump button (X or Y) for the Melee one. Obviously, you would be able to change the control scheme if you wanted.

However, this just won't happen.

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
So many haters over a bonus mode that basically just gives you a different air dodge. Sorry guys :psycho:
I think the best would be having both air dodges in the normal mode: you use L/R for the Brawl airdodge and the unused jump button (X or Y) for the Melee one. Obviously, you would be able to change the control scheme if you wanted.

However, this just won't happen.
ok guys we really need to get over this misconception that Melee's air dodge ( and as a result wave dashing) was what made it so great, and that its removal from brawl was what made that game so bad(according to others). theres a multitude of other factors involved with melee's game design which led to it's perfect storm of game play.

like wise a "melee mode" in reality would involve changing a various amount of factors from hit stun, land lag, gravity, speed, percentage values and who knows how many character specific attributes. so at this point the amount of effort that a "melee mode" would take to create IMO would just be a wast of time.

this topic usually makes people a little to aggressive so don't take it personally but if your gona be buying SSB4 your gona have to live with the fact that it is it's own game, and if you want melee mechanics and stuff your gona have to play melee cuss nothings gona beat melee at being what it already is.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While this will never happen, I understand where you're coming from;

It's not a matter of playing the other games. It's using the other characters in those playstyles. Which I love the idea in itself. I'd love to try Pit out with Melee or 64 mechanics, for instance. Of course, it'd take too much programming. Although having different air dodge choices wouldn't be something I'm against. Same with a few other mechanics as choices(L-Cancelling, for instance).

Anyway, we all know this is pretty much purely a dream and nothing more. I'm not sure how you want us to go from here, then. As a hypothetical, it sounds fun~ As a realistic idea, it's "not happening regardless".

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
A melee mode would be great. It's not like people would be forced to play it, it would be a choice, just like people don't have to play giant mode or metal mode. No one can really be against something that would make something more enjoyable for others without it affecting them at all. Doing it would not be that hard, you don't need to change everything back to melee just hit stun, the ledge mechanics, land lag (and by extension l-canceling), air dodge and gravity. In brawl you can change more options than that in special brawl. I know Sakurai wouldn't do it but do you guys realize how hype so many people would be if he did?

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
NO. STOP IT.
Smash 4 will have one main mode:
SMASH 4 MODE

The only half-worthwhile thing that could return from Melee would be a wavedashing substitute, not being able to grab the ledge backwards jas to be one of the most annoying Melee traits, it made recovering feel nitpicky and overly-precise. And L-Cancel sums up what's wrong with the fighting game genre.

HatsuneMiku

Smash Apprentice
Melee is an entirely different game when it comes to gameplay, it's core depth would take extra time, dedication and effort to duplicate it if were to become a "mode". It'd almost be like adding a whole different game to the mix. Project M proves this.

I think the option to change to directional air dodge is a more likely scenario, gameplay physics like hitstun and speed will most likely remain the same in every aspect of the game. A "Melee Mode" would eat up too many resources of the game and i doubt they're going go through with it even though i'd love for it to happen.

slicesabre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2621-2933-2738
Why waste time doing that? I'd rather them make Smash 4 its own game rather that trying to make modes that are like the olders games and wasting time and resources on that. Not to mention for all the time they'd be wasting they'd be appealing to a very small part of the fanbase.

You want Melee Mode? Go play melee. You want Brawl mode? Go play Brawl.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So many haters over a bonus mode that basically just gives you a different air dodge. Sorry guys :psycho:
Well, let's be honest here. This woulda started a huge Melee vs X debate if we didn't come in saying it would.

A melee mode would be great. It's not like people would be forced to play it, it would be a choice, just like people don't have to play giant mode or metal mode. No one can really be against something that would make something more enjoyable for others without it affecting them at all. Doing it would not be that hard, you don't need to change everything back to melee just hit stun, the ledge mechanics, land lag (and by extension l-canceling), air dodge and gravity. In brawl you can change more options than that in special brawl. I know Sakurai wouldn't do it but do you guys realize how hype so many people would be if he did?
Problem is, such a mode would divide the fanbase over which one should be the official one.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
So in Brawl and Melee there were special vs mode options such as lighting mode or giant mode (not sure if those are the real names). If they wanted to appeal to the hardcore melee players why not just make a melee mode?? They'd just have to change the air dodge, make frontal ledge grabbing required and tweak the hitstun a bit. Seems like it would be an easy solution to please everyone and I'd love to have the option to play with both air dodges since I like both Brawl and PM.
That would be really cool actually, but changes like these would affect the roster dramatically, and thus they'd have to balance Melee mode.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Melee Mode? At least call it Better Brawl mode. I'm tired of hearing "Melee" lol.

And Smash 4 looks be(a)st. :4dk:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The problem with what you are describing is the special modes simply modify minor attirbutes to make the battle behave differently. That would require an completely overall of the way the engine would work. It's far more complicated and unrealistic.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
I actually thought about this.
I'm for it, but then, I don't see it happening.

Smash 4 is supposed to be its own game; if people buy it for these modes, then it isn't standing in its own merit, which defeats the purpose of the game.
Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I mean as much as I love melee I really don't want this to happen. It would take away what makes Smash 4 original which is its own speed and new mechanics

Last edited:

ThomasTheTrain

Smash Cadet
I think it would be fun as just a game mode to play (like turbo mode or w/e) I don't think the OP meant for it to become the next tournament thing or w/e. Since we clearly already have melee and PM.

It would be pretty fun imo they wouldn't have to balance it at all.. (though i don't trust their "balance" to be honest..)

RODO

Smash Ace
A lot of you guys took this completely the wrong way. You say it would require extra balancing? No, it wouldn't because it would be just a special mode. "It would be a waste of resources." Well I guess every special mode was a waste of resources then since it wasn't "the main game. "It would require a complete overhall" etc. Ok, I don't want this mode to be something that's taken seriously, just something that maybe just a handful of guys do just to have another fun mode. I don't want enough time put into it to where it detracts from anything or becomes it's own thing. They could just make ledge grabbing different and then change the air dodge and be done. No extra balancing or whatever, just an homage to melee, a mode to show people who maybe never played a smash game before Brawl what it used to be like.

Basically whatever amount of work was put into the special brawls. I'm sure they weren't wondering how the game balance would be if everyone is giant and metal. IT'S JUST FOR FUN.

And wow mods I'm kind of disappointed in you guys. "Voiding the whole new game" what a joke. Smash 4 is awesome and nothing is going to detract from that. And that thing about imitations not being as good as the original?? You know that sometimes there are sequels to games that have the same mechanics but different content right? And I'm sure they are happy with playing Melee right now but do you think they want to play that game forever?? Pretty inconsiderate to those guys to say "just play melee here you go have fun" forever.

One more last thing before I'm off because this also bothers me a bit. Ndayday said that it would no doubt be the most popular mode and again void the entire new game. What ever happened to Melee catering to such a small fanbase??
Why waste time doing that? I'd rather them make Smash 4 its own game rather that trying to make modes that are like the olders games and wasting time and resources on that. Not to mention for all the time they'd be wasting they'd be appealing to a very small part of the fanbase.

You want Melee Mode? Go play melee. You want Brawl mode? Go play Brawl.
Oh, there it is. Why are you guys so worried about it detracting from the main game if only such a small number of people will even play it anyway?

This fanbase needs to get it together. I guess I'm lucky that I play Brawl and am in the "majority" here. Maybe one day we can all appreciate all of the Smash games. Someone lock this thread.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I had this idea too. The biggest problem would be balancing characters for two different modes.
If "Melee Mode" was ever a thing (and it won't be), what makes you think there would be any thought to balance at all? Does Sakurai balance Stamina Mode? Flower Mode? Coin Mode? No, they're just fun side modes.

Asking for a "Melee Mode" as an afterthought diversion is one thing, but asking for a fully balanced second game is just insane. They aren't made of money. They're paying to get the main game mode of Smash 4 balanced and polished for everyone to enjoy, and the rest is just for silly fun.

If they wanted to make a "Melee 2," they'd make one and charge you another $50-$60 for "Melee 2". They're making Smash 4. It's going to be closer to "Brawl 2" than "Melee 2," but it's still its own game.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
I don't think it would be that simple considering that the Project M guys couldn't properly emulate Melee and ended creating an entirely different beast.

It would be cool but then that isn't fair to Brawl or 64 so yea. A lot of people said what has already been said but that mode would cause this game to get delayed like another freaking year and I wouldn't want that

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I doubt it would take a year to slightly tweak the mechanics for a small area, ignoring any potential balance as is. People, please stop assuming the TC wants a giant change or anything like that. It's very clear he's talking about a small mode where you play with differences, no different from Invisible Melee, Giant Melee, etc. It's pretty much identical to Brawl's Special Mode, where you can adjust all that stuff. To the point that you could literally just add all these things to 4's Special Mode and call it a day.

It's not as hard as anyone is making it here. And no, it would not be the most overused mode, since it wouldn't be balanced around like regular Smash. All the Special modes were unbalanced by design and the game wasn't centered around it, making only normal Smash worth playing in Tourneys.

Also, stop suggesting to go play Melee, it's a pointless statement that misses the point of why this is a fun idea; You can't play any of those new characters in Melee or with its overall mechanics. It's not a worthwhile suggestion due to that alone. Remember, SSB's biggest draw is the characters, and the mechanics only help. Some want both in combination, and that was not ultimately doable outside of hacking/codes, which is kind of silly. But that's what people want sometimes(and there's nothing wrong with that anyway).

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
It may very well come to pass that Smash 4 is an amazing competitive game despite its lack of wavedashing. We just need to wait and see.

Also, adding that option would do nothing but fracture the competitive playerbase, ultimately resulting in fewer tournaments for everyone.

Ulevo

Smash Master
First of all, saying you can just "change the air dodge, make frontal ledge grabbing required and tweak the hitstun a bit" and call it a day is a gross over exaggeration, and simply incorrect. There is a very large cascade of mechanics that make Brawl and Melee very different from one another. If you had to make a list of things, it'd be very long.

Secondly, I wouldn't want this, personally. I think it'd be very invasive, and dividing. I'd prefer for the game to support its own direction, regardless of which direction it takes. If the game is going to cater to a particular crowd, it should do so at its foundation and throughout, and not through inconsistent means.

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
No. I think that is bad in the long run. Sakurai needs to focus on MOVING FORWARD. Melee is not perfect and if they add a melee mode that is literally them admitting they have yet to achieve a formula everyone can accept as the next step gameplay wise. If Sakurai is as confident as he seems with Smash4's mechanics, why should he give melee purest another reason to shun his new vision? Honestly if I were a developer I would be offended by my fan-base if this were to be something in high demand. He is really working hard to create something NEW. Yet people really want him to add an entire option based on back pedaling? Wow...

It is hilarious because this game has the potential to fix both Melees and Brawls issues.

Last edited:

Miss Fit

Smash Rookie
This sounds like the most silly idea I've ever heard.

Making the game like Melee would require SO MUCH MORE than just tweaking the hitstun and adding directional dodging.

RODO

Smash Ace
This sounds like the most silly idea I've ever heard.

Making the game like Melee would require SO MUCH MORE than just tweaking the hitstun and adding directional dodging.
You're correct, but I don't want the game to be like melee I just thought it would be a fun mode to have.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I still like this idea, as it's nothing more than a Special Mode with a few tweaked mechanics(and not meant to be exactly like Melee in any way).

I hope Sakurai does something like this instead.

Last edited:

SnappyJ

Smash Cadet
NNID
SnappyJ
I really just find this idea unnecessary. I know people love Melee to death, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I think we need to move on and take the new game for what it is. If you aren't a fan and prefer the Melee engine, you still have Melee and Project M. And honestly if you really want a Melee 2.0, PM is definitely the way to go. I am all for wacky modes like they have done previously, but creating a Melee mode is effort better spent on the core game/balance.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I really just find this idea unnecessary. I know people love Melee to death, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I think we need to move on and take the new game for what it is. If you aren't a fan and prefer the Melee engine, you still have Melee and Project M. And honestly if you really want a Melee 2.0, PM is definitely the way to go. I am all for wacky modes like they have done previously, but creating a Melee mode is effort better spent on the core game/balance.
Nobody wants a Melee 2.0 here. Just throwing in a few mechanics from Melee as a Special Mode is the idea here and nothing more. Please read more than the topic title here. :urg:

TheMiddleVeen

Smash Cadet
I just feel that it would take away from it being the new game. Also it would take up too much time to 'tweak' for it and would therefore take up time that could be made better for this new game

NO. STOP IT.
Smash 4 will have one main mode:
SMASH 4 MODE

The only half-worthwhile thing that could return from Melee would be a wavedashing substitute, not being able to grab the ledge backwards jas to be one of the most annoying Melee traits, it made recovering feel nitpicky and overly-precise. And L-Cancel sums up what's wrong with the fighting game genre.
Lol it's a mode, bro.

Also, wavelanding > wavedashing. Melee air had more applications other than just dodging, on top of the fact that you couldn't spam it made it interesting. You could also see Kirby's free fall with it.

Sweet spotting isn't hard. It worked the same way in smash 64 and I was able to do it consistently at 8 years old.

L-canceling isn't the problem with the fighting genre because it's not in any fighter. The problem is self entitled kids who don't feel the need to apply tech skill in anything and play a game of Hoo-hah with the ****-around-gang. If people can deal they can go play dive kick or some ****.

Get off the dudes nuts, he just suggested having an interesting mobility option as a mode to smash 4. It won't be exactly like Melee, making a game that amazing is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom