• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Making A Comeback? True or Untrue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
Sit back for a second and think about when Brawl was initially released back in March. We were all extremely pumped for the game and were waiting for Sonic to be god tier.

A good amount of time has passed since then...and now, let us think about the current competitive situation of Brawl right now. We've basically broken down Brawls meta game already. We all know that is a defensive game and solely relies on how well you can camp, shield, and side step. Is it a good game? You bet. Is it competitive? No. Just because you can make anything competitive does not mean it SHOULD BE competitive.

You can make things such as

Jump rope
Typing speed on a computer
hop scotch
Tic-Tac-Toe
Pong

competitive.....but should they be? Not really.

I do not know about your location, but here in CT Brawl is slowly dying...and our tourney attendance reflects it strongly. Brawl players who do not take Melee seriously (or have not even played Melee.....eww!) really just need to get hit upside the head. I dont mean to say they should be hated in the community and all that but they need to just play someone REALLY good for like ten minutes to realize, "Oh wow, this game IS GOOD! Now I see why people like it so much!"

The first 5 Brawl tournies we had in CT our attendance was 217 entrants...while the SIX following only had a total of 211........A horrible drop for Brawl.

I've heard some respectable smashers on the boards talk about Melee, and how much they miss it.....and that they believe that Melee will be the game to play once again.

So many of us out there miss Melee soooooo much but yet some of us still play Brawl...and why is that? It's because that is what everyone else is doing...its the game "to play." I'm not saying Melee will make an EPIC and STRONG comeback...but Melee is far from dead gentleman.

You can flame me and bash me all you want despite what you may think but if Melee begins to creep up and we hear less chatter about Brawl you can bet your butt I will be back to this thread to say, "I told you."

Does anyone agree with what I'm saying? This is not a thread to INSULT BRAWL. Do not post what you dont like about Brawl...etc etc....Thank You

-POF

Geist

Smash Master
I do not know about your location, but here in CT Brawl is slowly dying...and our tourney attendance reflects it strongly. Brawl players who do not take Melee seriously (or have not even played Melee.....eww!) really just need to get hit upside the head. I dont mean to say they should be hated in the community and all that but they need to just play someone REALLY good for like ten minutes to realize, "Oh wow, this game IS GOOD! Now I see why people like it so much!"

Alot of new people have sprung up where I used to live, all new to smas from brawl.
From what I understand, nearly all of them are switching to melee.
I never left melee, and I never really considered it.
When Brawl came out, I was pumped for it, but I rarely play it now...

I really hope melee is making a comback. I know alot of experienced players are switching. Unfortunately Brawl is where the money is for the pros at this point. Unless there is a big shift, its going to be a gradual change, or might not even make it into a full comeback.

Logically though, you'd think that the more competitive game of the two would be used for competitive play.

Cinder

Smash Master
I don't see why this thread would get loc--oh, riiiiiight...

Anyway, I agree with you, PoF...the community in VA took a hit at first, but it's making a comeback...I'm hosting a tourney at VCU soon (hopefully <__<) and I've seen other tournies in the area...

One more thing: MELEE 4 LYFE!!!!

Eggm

Smash Hero
Well in NJ we have more melee tournaments than brawl. Mass also seems more interested in melee. Once CT switches over completey then the whole north east can be brawl. I know for a fact that PA is nearly all meele. NY is only the only brawl state left, but the place they had their brawl tournaments is shut down atm. So hopefully they will see the light during the break from brawl. xD

Btw, if your craving some melee POF ride with trademark to some NJ tournaments sometime. We'll play friendlies. :) My falco is decent.

strangely mundane

Smash Journeyman
Well in NJ we have more melee tournaments than brawl. Mass also seems more interested in melee. Once CT switches over completey then the whole north east can be brawl. I know for a fact that PA is nearly all meele. NY is only the only brawl state left, but the place they had their brawl tournaments is shut down atm. So hopefully they will see the light during the break from brawl. xD

Btw, if your craving some melee POF ride with trademark to some NJ tournaments sometime. We'll play friendlies. :) My falco is decent.
^^^ you guys are so lucky the socal melee scene, seems pretty much dead. :(

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
The funny thing is in my area brawl is REALLY starting to die. There is a tourn going on that host games like Street Fighter and all of those other type of fighting games and we convinced them to host melee instead of brawl and they went along with it lol. It was suprizing iswell but it qas obvious what the community wanted. And when brawl was out for like a month melee in my area was DEADDDD!!!!! but RIGHT NOW it has completely switched and melee is alive but we dont want to lose the brawl players so we cater for both to be fair but melee is more alive.

MELEE BABY!!!! IT IS SERIOUSLY ALIVE WHERE I AM AT!!!!

M@v

Subarashii!
I play in the pong pro circuit >:(. j/k

I think they can both co-exist, thats why the Pittsburgh tourney im hosting is melee one day, brawl the other. Both good games and both competitive, just different styles.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
Melee has made a comeback, but that doesn't mean at all the Brawl is doing worse competitively. In fact, I've seen quite a few more Brawl tournaments lately in my area.

While I love Melee and play it more than Brawl, I think Brawl will eventually (see: eventually) outlast it.

Cinder

Smash Master
Melee has made a comeback, but that doesn't mean at all the Brawl is doing worse competitively. In fact, I've seen quite a few more Brawl tournaments lately in my area.

While I love Melee and play it more than Brawl, I think Brawl will eventually (see: eventually) outlast it.
It's not the same in every area...as a whole, we're getting our numbers back, and getting people 100% foreign to Smash going into Melee...Melee is showing no signs of dying, and it probably never will...

Vts

Smash Champion
its coming back kind of in Arkansas we got about 7-8 people who play melee 2 of which were in the power rankings for the longest time and should still be in it if it was still around. brawl is trash ,we play only if bored and only for 2-3 matches then done.

so far it seems 2-3 new people have joined the Arkansas smasher chat thread so looks like more people who wish to get better/play :). found a Gannon player the other day that knew how to l-cancel and wavedash and I've never seen them in Arkansas and they lived like 20m away lol.....

it just takes time for people to realize wtf have i been doing playing brawl, and return to melee or try melee.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Who cares if it is, it will always be Melee > brawl

besides, brawl is all about the tier list. From high to top, those are your only playable characters. Pride with yoshi is an exception...

ADHD

Smash Hero

Sorry about double post, but eggm I gotta aim you on some stuffs I still don't understand

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Here in France, there were something like 2 serious Brawl tournaments since February, 6 or 7 Melee tournaments, quite a few Brawl smashfests and something like a million Melee smashfests.

Brawl doesn't really develops, here. One of most important reason is that most tournament host prefer Melee by far, but still, Brawl isn't that popular in the competitive French scene.

Well... it's not like I would mind =p

Grunt

Smash Master
Here in France, there were something like 2 serious Brawl tournaments since February, 6 or 7 Melee tournaments, quite a few Brawl smashfests and something like a million Melee smashfests.

Brawl doesn't really develops, here. One of most important reason is that most tournament host prefer Melee by far, but still, Brawl isn't that popular in the competitive French scene.

Well... it's not like I would mind =p
I have the strangest urge to pirate a bunch of NTSC melee discs and move to Europe.

Vodage

Smash Journeyman
Idk... I only joined the competetive smash community a couple months ago, and it was for Melee. So I would be like a little piece of the 'yes comeback' statistic, I guess...

Keyy

Smash Apprentice
99% of the original post is a wall of the same anti-brawl rant that's been posted a bazillion times before, and like 1% of: "oh yeah, how is your melee scene doing? and by the way this thread is not about anti-brawl..".
What about just post the latter in the future. Stop bitching if you want to be taken seriously. And no I'm not pleading for brawl.

And half of the responds is bitching too. That'll help the melee scene...

Overload

Smash Lord
Our numbers sure aren't decreasing that's for sure. IMO everyone who plays casual smash should play Brawl, and everyone who plays competitive smash should play Melee. They are too different kind of smash games for two different kinds of people.

Keyy

Smash Apprentice
I'm being constructive.

On the topic:
Belgium is dead, smashwise. But the Netherlands are still fairly active with Melee. Their scene is somewhat divided 50-50. But I'm happy with the activity, I wanna go to a Dutch tourney in the near future. Maybe a French/German one too later on, I heard they're still pretty Melee-active there too.
Mainland Europe seems to be still fairly Melee oriented, with Brawl only starting out with mixed results.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
Every few days somebody comes in here, examines the current state of the Melee community, and theorizes that they do not think it is dead. They offer up the classic "Brawl is not a good competitive game because it's [campy/a party game/melee for noobs/boring]" argument and everybody on the board agrees with them.
Why do we get so many of these posts? Do you people band together or something? x3

There are still far too many people interested in the game for the Melee community to die.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Every few days somebody comes in here, examines the current state of the Melee community, and theorizes that they do not think it is dead. They offer up the classic "Brawl is not a good competitive game because its [campy/a party game/melee for noobs/boring]" argument and everybody on the board agrees with them.
Why do we get so many of these posts? Do you people band together or something? x3

There are still far too many people interested in the game for the Melee community to die.
No really? :psycho:

MaNg0

Smash Hero
hmm

i think people tryed to give brawl a chance

and yea it kinda sucks -_-

people just needed a little break from melee =D

but i see melee having a little comeback

cept for socal

were lazy

sigh
=(

strangely mundane

Smash Journeyman
hmm

i think people tryed to give brawl a chance

and yea it kinda sucks -_-

people just needed a little break from melee =D

but i see melee having a little comeback

cept for socal

were lazy

sigh
=(
Yeah we really need to step it up. unfortunately I don't have the resources to set up a tourney.. :(

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
I've begun taking the initiative to host Melee tournies myself at my house.

If some of you came that would be really cool.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=192799

Seriously, its all about people just taking the initiative if they want something. Not everything is made for us on a platter and spoon fed.

Everyone I think is just "hoping" for it to happen. You have to DO something about it. I'm not sayin you'll be THE REASON for Melee to be a common tourney game but every little bit helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom