• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

voorhese

Smash Master
i cant remember where to see my specs, but i just got a toshiba laptop like last week....

nvm: i have duel core, 2 ghz + 3gb ram

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
your gfx card is probably intel mobile family chipset 965 or something, which doesn't have nearly enough juice to run dolphin. it doesn't even support the opengl plugin so you have to use directx9, which sucks. i have similar specs to your laptop (intel dual core 2 ghz, 3 gb ram 32bit vista) and i can extract textures with some difficulty and patience, but i certainly can't run it.

Steelia

Smash Champion
'ey, no problem, GodFed. I was fortunate enough to have time on my hands, so I figured, "Why delay such a small step in the process? I'll knock it out just to get it over with." I'm glad I could help out, even if just a little. :)
And, of course, I have no problem with you modifying it color-coating-wise as you did yours... I had originally intended to polish it before I sent it in, but go figure I was already rushing the very end of the + guide so I couldn't even italic or bold some of the things I wanted to. Go ahead, mess with it as you please; edit it in any shape you feel is necessary. Totally cool with me.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Haha, S. you're too nice. I'll see what I can do.
Good luck with getting the texture pack out. That should be interesting. Are you planning on also releasing the information on the offset locations for each character, as well?

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ That's the idea. I have each character's offset recorded in a Notepad file, so it will be included in every pack I release (as some characters, like Ness, have textures that are in different placements compared to their other color files, even if all the textures are CMPR).

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
My name is given credit for those texture files of ganon, roy and fox. Those are from SleepyK.

I'll probably read the whole guide on saturday when I get some free time.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
SSM Hacks

AUDIO HACKS : SSM FILES
Overview of Audio Format - SSM
SSM files hold audio clips, just like Pl****.dat files hold textures. They're like packages. SSMs hold a lot of sound files, each one approximately 1 second long. The format for the basic sound file system in the GameCube is called DSP (also called ADPCM). This is encoded audio that provides coefficients (special values) to allow the GameCube to decode it, like a decoder ring to decode a secret code. The coefficients are the decoder ring. Remember these "coefficients", they're very important.

A word about coefficients, since they're so important. First, why are they called coefficients? The word "coefficient" in math means "the number before the variable". So in the expression "3x+5", the coefficient of x is 3. But this doesn't help in the hacking sense. I have no clue why the magic numbers in Gamecube Audio are called coefficients, I just saw it called that in an explanation somewhere on the Internet (possibly YAGCD or Halley's Comet Software). They're just called coefficients, okay, it is what it is. The real question is, "What are coefficients"? Coefficients are 16-bit values that tell the Gamecube how to interpret the audio data in SSMs, DSPs, HPSs, and other audio files. They come in groups of 16, for a toal of 256 bits. That's 32 bytes, or 0x20 in hexadecimal. Since they tell the Gamecube how to read the data, coefficients are responsible for the quality and volume of the audio. I know, this is complicated, but just bear with me here.

The audio data itself comes in 8-byte portions, where the first byte calls a coefficient that tells the Gamecube how to decode the other 7. I'll repeat this as we go along.

The way DSP is structured is the data starts 0x60 bytes (that's 96 in decimal) into the file. Before that is header data, and the magic coefficient values (responsible for the quality and volume of the audio). The actual data comes in 8-byte clumps. The first byte calls one of the 16-bit coefficients to decode the next 7 bytes of audio. As I said, I'll repeat the info a bit, and say it in different ways to try and make it clear.

An SSM file is just a bunch of DSP files. Instead of placing each DSP one after the other, the SSM will split the DSPs and then place the different parts together. All the coefficients of the DSPs are clumped together at the beginning of the SSM, which takes up a few hundred bytes. After that the actual sound data begins. So here's an example to help. I have 5 DSP files, each one a different 1-second-long sound clip. I take the coefficients from DSP#1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, and I put them one after the other at the beginning of my new file (my SSM). Then I take the audio data that's left over from #1 and put it in my SSM. Then I take the audio data that's left over from #2 and put it in my SSM, after the audio data of #1. And so on, until I finished through #5. That's more or less it, but there's a little bit more to the coefficients, which I'll explain below.

NOTE: Most sound effects are mono (one channel of audio), but a few are stereo (two channels, L and R). You can find out whether the sound is mono or stereo with ssmex.exe. When a sound effect is stereo, there are a few changes to be made in the SSM. First of all, there are two DSPs that make up the sound - one L and one R. So in the SSM, there's twice the audio data for that sound. Second, since there are two DSPs, there are two sets of coefficients. Now, from the example above, if DSP#5 was a stereo sound effect (there would be two DSPs since it's stereo, lets just duplicate it for now to make L and R), I'd take the coefficients from DSP#5-L and place them after the coefficents from DSP#4. Then I'd take the coefficients from DSP#5-R and place them after those of DSP#5-L. When I'm placing the audio data, I'd put DSP#5-L's audio data after DSP#4's audio data. Then DSP#5-R audio data goes after that. Kinda confusing...sorry.

SSM Audio Hacking
What you need:
--SSBM ISO (you knew that by now)
--Hex editor
--an audio editor. I used Soundbooth, but Goldwave is good, too. I don't know about Audacity
--ssmex.exe (look up "hcs ssmex" on Google)
--cmd.exe (command prompt)
--Wii/GC SDK (specifically dspadpcm.exe and dsptool.dll...maybe soundfile.dll, too, perhaps)
--GC-Tool

What to do:
0. Before you start
Extract the audio SSM files from the ISO with GC-Tool. The ones you might be concerned with are under \audio\us for English version sounds, while those under \audio but not under \us are Japanese version sounds. Put all these SSM files into a directory, categorize them, whatever. Heck, you can do one at a time, it doesn't matter. As long as you know what's what. Make sure you have the Wii SDK tools in the same directory, as well as ssmex.exe and your trusty command prompt.

1.Extract DSPs from the SSM
Make sure that the SSM you want to extract from is under the same folder as ssmex.exe and cmd.exe..now run cmd.exe and type in this
ssmex filename.ssm
filename.ssm should be replaced with the SSM file that you're extracting from.
You should see a bunch of lines of data. Very useful data. The program will tell you how many DSPs there are, whether they are stereo or mono, and where they are located in the SSM. And it will extract them. (If you have Visual C++, the DSP files may have the VC++ Project icon. Don't double click when you edit them. Just right click and open with a hex editor.)

2. Convert to WAV
The SDK program dspadpcm.exe not only converts WAV->DSP, but also DSP->WAV. Nifty. So run cmd.exe and type in
dspadpcm -d inputfile.dsp outputfile.wav
NOTE: "-d" means "decode". The outputfile parameter is optional; the program by default creates a WAV with the same name as your DSP. Also, if you want it to create an AIFF instead of a WAV, type "-f" at the end of the line, as another parameter. If you want info on your DSP dumped in a TXT file, type "-c" as a parameter, too.

This generates the WAV. Open it up in your favorite audio editor, and take a look at it. The important things to check are
a. sample rate (eg, 32 kHz)
b. bit depth (eg. 16 bits)
c. channels (eg. stereo or mono)
d. length (eg. 0.629 seconds)
e. volume (eg. max of "-1 dB", whatever that means)
If you can't find any of this info out, just play the file in iTunes, and right click it, go to Get Info->Summary. The Options tab has the exact length in seconds.

We need this info because we want to make our audio that we'll replace in the game as close to the original as possible. So we'll make its settings as close as possible.

3. Using your own audio
Now, when using your audio, you have to realize it's going to be short. The clip can't be much longer than a second, really. It's just sound effects. But, there are a whole lot of possiblities, nonetheless.
-Take your audio clip, open it with the audio editor, and, if it's stereo, export the channels individually to get R and L mono channels. Pick one of them to be your in-game sound.
-Adjust the length of the clip to match the length of the original exactly. Down to the thousandth of a second.
-Adjust the volume, a lot. It should be fairly loud, louder than all the other sounds on your computer. When you save your clip, make sure the settings match those of the original.

4. WAV->DSP
Now that your audio is formatted correctly, we're going to run dspadpcm.exe again. Run cmd.exe and type
dspadpcm -e inputfile.wav outputfile.dsp
NOTE: "-e" means "encode". The outputfile parameter is optional; the program by default creates a DSP with the same name as the WAV. If you want info on your DSP dumped in a TXT file, type "-c" as a parameter, too.

Now we have our DSP!

5. Manual hexing...
Open up your hex editor of choice. Open the original SSM, the original DSP, and the new DSP. Go back to the ssmex.exe program, and drag the SSM file over the icon. This will launch the program, but it won't extract the DSPs (I don't know why, but I don't mind). Instead it will just give the info on each file. Don't close this.
Hex time.
-Compare the original DSP to your new DSP. They should be very similar in length. Best case scenario, they're exactly the same. Absloute worst, your new one is a lot longer.
-In the new DSP, copy the data from 0x60 on. This might be in the middle of a bunch of 00's, but it's correct. Open the cmd.exe window and look for the original filename. The offset data will be right by it. So, go to the SSM, and paste the copied data at the specified offset. Double check to make sure you didn't make a mistake.
-At the end of the data, if there's still a little room before it goes to the next DSP, just insert 00's or FF's until it ends. If you think you went over the limit, you're in a little trouble. Ctrl-Z undo, mate. You need to find the length of the data from the cmd window, which has the beginning and end offsets for each DSP. Copy that amount only, and paste that. **I only think that the longer ones will still work. I haven't tested, though**
-Back in the new DSP, copy the funky looking data from 0x1C to 0x3C. This is the coefficient data responsible for correctly decoding the DSP audio. What we have to do is paste it in the correct spot in the beginning of the SSM. Either count from the beginning of the SSM (every 0x48 bytes is the end of a block of coefficient data for mono files....stereo files are a bit longer since each channel needs coefficient decoders. Just count out two mono coefficient blocks for stereo) to find it, or match the original DSP data from 0x1C to 0x3C in the SSM to find it. When you find where it starts (remember the coefficient data is always 0x20, or 32, bytes long), paste your new DSP coefficient data over it. Good to go.
Save the SSM in a safe place.

6. GC-Tool it up
GC-Tool->File->Open GC-ISO->ssbm.gcm
Select the SSM from the list it makes, right click->Replace File->choose the SSM you edited
File->Close GC-ISO
Exit

And we're done! With SSM, at least.

EXAMPLE - Editing Roy's taunt (Testing :) )
NOTE: This is what I did exactly in order to get the "testing" SSM example that Steelia used in one of his youtube vids. I have notes explaining extra steps that I didn't take which would increase sound quality and volume.

0. I extracted emblem.ssm from the \audio\us folder, and put it in a folder with ssmex.exe, cmd.exe, dspadpcm.exe, and soundfile.dll

1. I run cmd.exe, and I type
ssmex emblem.ssm
which outputs a bunch of DSPs for me, named "emblem00, emblem01, emblem02...etc"

2. I press enter to quit the program, and then I type
dspadpcm -d emblem0b.dsp
which outputs a WAV called emblem0b.wav. I listened to it in iTunes, and found it was the "hiii-ya" for Roy. I decided to edit it.
Opening Soundbooth with emblem0b.wav revealed it was 0.629 seconds in length, at 32kHz, 16 bit depth, mono, and had a max volume of "-1 db". OK..

3. I took an old sound clip I made to test what Soundbooth could do when I first got it, and I opened it up. It just was me saying "testing" over and over. I exported it to two mono channels, since it was stereo. I chose the R channel to edit, and I cropped it to exactly 0.629 seconds. Save as Test01R.wav (32000 Hz, 16 bit depth, Mono).
NOTE: You can also manually increase the volume, which helps with hearing it in-game.

4. I run cmd.exe and type
dspadpcm -e Test01R.wav
which outputs my DSP called Test01R.dsp

5. Oh boy, hexing. I opened emblem.ssm, emblem0b.dsp, and Test01R.dsp with a hex editor (HexEdit, anyone? I happen to use that...).
-I run ssmex by dragging the emblem.ssm over the icon, and get the offset data that way.
-I copy the data from Test01R.dsp from 0x60 on, and paste it into 0xDF70, with about 17 bytes to spare, so I fill in the extra space with 00's.
NOTE: I didn't do this step the first time....>>> I copy the coefficient data from Test01R.dsp at line 0x1C, to emblem.ssm. Since emblem0b is the 12th DSP (they start at 00, not 01), I go to offset (72*12) = 864, or 0x360. That's the end of the coefficient data. So I paste the data from Test01R.dsp 16 bytes before 0x360 - at 0x340.

6. GC-Tool. You know how it goes.

And there we have it. SSM audio format, done. So go and make some sound effets/voices!!

SleepyK

i love how the naked jigglypuff texture is like 6 files

PaperstSoapCo

Smash Lord
I've seen a time lapse vid where they have photo shop open and they are editing the colors of a YLink in Brawl. Is it similar for Melee? If so if anyone is will to toss me some Ganon texture files I'll edit em and toss em back to you if you want to try em out.

SleepyK

tipman, the red ganon link in the first post is the texture.
it's pretty similar.

Steelia

Smash Champion
All righty... I'm FINALLY getting around to uploading the texture packages I've promised.
So, without further ado, here we go.

SINCE MEGAUPLOAD DIED, WE'RE USING MEDIAFIRE NOW INSTEAD.

Characters

Miscellaneous

Stages

~Note I don't have everything for characters and stages... yet... but I've got something planned when I get to putting those up another day.~

CHARACTER & COLOR ABBREVIATIONS

Captain Falcon
PlCaBu - Blue
PlCaGr - Green
PlCaGy - Grey
PlCaNr - Captain Falcon (Default)
PlCaRe - Red
PlCaWh - Pink-and-white

Young Link
PlClBk - Black
PlClBu - Blue
PlClNr - Young Link (Default)
PlClRe - Red
PlClWh - White

Donkey Kong
PlDkBk - Black
PlDkBu - Blue
PlDkGr - Green
PlDkNr - Donkey Kong (Default)
PlDkRe - Red

Dr. Mario
PlDrBk - Black
PlDrBu - Blue
PlDrGr - Green
PlDrNr - Dr. Mario (Default)
PlDrRe - Red

Falco
PlFcBu - Blue
PlFcGr - Green
PlFcNr - Falco (Default)
PlFcRe - Red

Roy
PlFeBu - Blue
PlFeGr - Green
PlFeNr - Roy (Default)
PlFeRe - Red
PlFeYe - Yellow-and-white

Fox
PlFxGr - Green
PlFxLa - Blue/Lavender
PlFxNr - Fox (Default)
PlFxOr - Orange

Ganondorf
PlGnBu - Blue
PlGnGr - Green
PlGnLa - Purple/Lavender
PlGnNr - Ganondorf (Default)
PlGnRe - Red

Mr. Game & Watch
PlGw - All Colors

Kirby
PlKbBu - Blue
PlKbBuCpDk - Blue Donkey Kong cap
PlKbBuCpFc - Blue Falco cap
PlKbBuCpMt - Blue Mewtwo cap
PlKbBuCpPr - Blue Jigglypuff cap
PlKbGr - Green
PlKbGrCpDk - Green Donkey Kong cap
PlKbGrCpFc - Green Falco cap
PlKbGrCpMt - Green Mewtwo cap
PlKbGrCpPr - Green Jigglypuff cap
PlKbNr - Kirby (Default)
PlKbNrCpDk - Donkey Kong cap (Default)
PlKbNrCpFc - Falco cap (Default)
PlKbNrCpMt - Mewtwo cap (Default)
PlKbNrCpPr - Jigglypuff cap (Default)
PlKbRe - Red
PlKbReCpDk - Red Donkey Kong cap
PlKbReCpFc - Red Falco cap
PlKbReCpMt - Red Mewtwo cap
PlKbReCpPr - Red Jigglypuff cap
PlKbWh - White
PlKbWhCpDk - White Donkey Kong cap
PlKbWhCpFc - White Falco cap
PlKbWhCpMt - White Mewtwo cap
PlKbWhCpPr - White Jigglypuff cap
PlKbYe - Yellow
PlKbYeCpDk - Yellow Donkey Kong cap
PlKbYeCpFc - Yellow Falco cap
PlKbYeCpMt - Yellow Mewtwo cap
PlKbYeCpPr - Yellow Jigglypuff cap

PlKbCpCa - Captain Falcon cap
PlKbCpCl - Young Link cap
PlKbCpDk - Donkey Kong cap (alternate)
PlKbCpDr - Dr. Mario cap
PlKbCpFc - Falco cap (alternate)
PlKbCpFe - Roy cap
PlKbCpFx - Fox cap
PlKbCpGn - Ganondorf cap
PlKbCpGw - Mr. Game & Watch cap
PlKbCpKp - Bowser cap
PlKbCpLg - Luigi cap
PlKbCpLk - Link cap
PlKbCpMr - Mario cap
PlKbCpMs - Marth cap
PlKbCpMt - Mewtwo cap (alternate)
PlKbCpNs - Ness cap
PlKbCpPc - Pichu cap
PlKbCpPe - Peach cap
PlKbCpPk - Pikachu cap
PlKbCpPp - Ice Climbers cap
PlKbCpPr - Jigglypuff cap (alternate)
PlKbCpSk - Sheik cap
PlKbCpSs - Samus cap
PlKbCpYs - Yoshi cap
PlKbCpZd - Zelda cap

Bowser
PlKpBk - Black
PlKpBu - Blue
PlKpNr - Bowser (Default)
PlKpRe - Red

Luigi
PlLgAq - Blue/Aquamarine
PlLgNr - Luigi (Default)
PlLgPi - Pink
PlLgWh - White-and-green

Link
PlLkBk - Black
PlLkBu - Blue
PlLkNr - Link (Default)
PlLkRe - Red
PlLkWh - White

Mario
PlMrBk - Brown-and-white
PlMrBu - Blue/Jumpman
PlMrGr - Green
PlMrNr - Mario (Default)
PlMrYe - Yellow

Marth
PlMsBk - Black
PlMsGr - Green
PlMsNr - Marth (Default)
PlMsRe - Red
PlMsWh - White

Mewtwo
PlMtBu - Blue
PlMtGr - Green
PlMtNr - Mewtwo (Default)
PlMtRe - Red

Nana (Ice Climbers)
PlNnAq - Orange costume [with Light Blue Popo]
PlNnNr - Nana (Default)
PlNnWh - Red costume [with White Popo]
PlNnYe - Yellow/Tan

Ness
PlNsBu - Blue
PlNsGr - Green
PlNsNr - Ness (Default)
PlNsYe - Yellow-and-black

Pichu
PlPcBu - Blue [goggles]
PlPcGr - Green [backpack]
PlPcNr - Pichu (Default)
PlPcRe - Red [bandana]

Peach
PlPeBu - Blue
PlPeGr - Green
PlPeNr - Peach (Default)
PlPeWh - White
PlPeYe - Daisy [yellow]

Pikachu
PlPkBu - Blue [party hat]
PlPkGr - Green [cowboy hat]
PlPkNr - Pikachu (Default)
PlPkRe - Red [trainer hat]

Popo (Ice Climbers)
PlPpGr - Green
PlPpNr - Popo (Default)
PlPpOr - Light Blue costume [with Orange Nana]
PlPpRe - White costume [with Red Nana]

Jigglypuff
PlPrBu - Blue [bow]
PlPrGr - Green [headband]
PlPrNr - Jigglypuff (Default)
PlPrRe - Red [flower]
PlPrYe - Yellow [crown]

Sheik
PlSkBu - Blue
PlSkGr - Green
PlSkNr - Sheik (Default)
PlSkRe - Red
PlSkWh - White-and-black

Samus
PlSsBk - Brown
PlSsGr - Green
PlSsLa - Purple/Lavender
PlSsNr - Samus (Default)
PlSsPi - Pink

Yoshi
PlYsAq - Light Blue/Aquamarine
PlYsBu - Dark Blue
PlYsNr - Yoshi (Default)
PlYsPi - Pink
PlYsRe - Red
PlYsYe - Yellow

Zelda
PlZdBu - Blue
PlZdGr - Green
PlZdNr - Zelda (Default)
PlZdRe - Red
PlZdWh - Light Blue/White

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Freakin sweet man, I can't wait to see how amazing this stuff is 2 years from now when there is better equipment and stuff. Yes I am back.

Steelia

Smash Champion
All right, managed to get up packs for Mewtwo (complete), Roy (complete), Dr. Mario, Pichu (complete), and Young Link in the post above... Jeez. TCS organization is a pain. @_@

I'm hoping to get up a few more either later, or later this week. Cheers!

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
S., these texture packs are AMAZING. Incredibly well organized, and the TCS files are already made.
I've been thinking about automating the process with some programming. So far, these texture packs seem to be amazingly useful in terms of organization, TCS inclusion, and the offset data. Great work, as always

wool

Smash Ace
This is a great guide. Really nice job.
Unfortunately for me my brain is incapable of understanding anything beyond school work.
So I won't be able to use this.
But it was laid out really neatly. Color coded and all.

jayloonar

Smash Rookie
can someone have it easier like ash in brawl? this is oober hard 4 me! why cant i just find textures without dolphin?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My title may say smash n00b but i **** tournaments...

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Melee texture hacking is relatively new, so we won't be able to just hand everything to you. And even after the agenda is completed, doing any custom textures of your own is going to take effort.

ShootingStars

Smash Apprentice
mura can you please tell me how to change BGM music with the iso
i can convert mp3 to HPS and replace the ISO files but it does not work at all

SleepyK

there's a specific format that the audio needs to be.

where did you find a mp3 to hps converter?

Steelia

Smash Champion
mura can you please tell me how to change BGM music with the iso
i can convert mp3 to HPS and replace the ISO files but it does not work at all
I've heard that Kirby Air Ride music can replace Melee music without a hitch... so the two games' formats must be similar. I'd recommend checking that out, if you have access to both.

I know when people first started hacking Brawl music they ran into some problems with conversion. They could convert music to BRSTM, but it was the wrong type of BRSTM... The game's quite picky, quite picky indeed. Though, if you are able to convert MP3 to HPS, you're on the right track. :)

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
goldwave. after conversion to WAV.
WELL actually you save it as BRSTM and rename to HPS, and it still works... you can still hear it.
What about the whole "It doesn't work" issue you had earlier?
So you say that just renaming the extension makes it the correct type? I'm not getting enough info here to see what's going on. Clearly state what it is you know already, what you've tried, and what you want to know.
Research the Kirby Air Ride audio type.

anyway. I came here to say that I'm working on automating the hacking with c++. So far I've codedf a program that can replace CMPR TPL's in the DAT files flawlessly, based on hard-coded offset data. I'll try to get it to be able to read the offset data from S.'s text files hopefully by the end of this weekend. Just a heads up.

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ Very nice, GodFed. That'd be really handy. Of course, just remember, not all textures are in the same places in each character file (a la Ness, Mewtwo, and some + texture characters like Kirby and Jigglypuff due to larger/smaller + textures). Not sure if that'll be a factor in the equation.

goldwave. after conversion to WAV.
WELL actually you save it as BRSTM and rename to HPS, and it still works... you can still hear it.
I don't think that will work, now that I think of it... It's like changing a normal MP3 file, and making its extension "ISO". All of a sudden, it's a game ISO? I don't think it works like that. We need to find a way of changing the WAV/MP3 straight into an HPS, if at all possible.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
^That's why I'm trying to get it to read the offset data from your notepad files. I'm still checking that out. I'm also going to need to run the batch file from code, or a separate TexConv instance for one texture-at-a-time inserting

Steelia

Smash Champion
Well, if you need any help for the placements of the other characters, GodFed, I'd be more than happy to send you whatever other PLACEMENTS pads I've got. :)

On a side note...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUUaUoHBFe0

Kirby Air Ride music works like a charm. So there's definitely some hidden connection between them, and the Melee music. Just need to figure it out. (Could it require GCN SDK tools...?)

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
S., I got it to read from your "Placements" text files, but your formatting was different a few times, so I made a uniform format that works a little better, programming-wise. I put the first two digits of the texture folder (aka, the TCS filename), followed by a space, a dash, a space, and then the offset data. eg -
01 - 0000ffff
02 - 00010000
09 - 00021c0c
etc.
so every line has exactly 15 bytes of hex data, the last two being the newline bytes. If there was an asterisk* by the number, I put it between the dash and the offset value, instead of a space.

Since the program can read from the txt files, I probably don't need them, given that whoever would have my program also would have the offset data txt file. I just need an "offsets.txt" file that follows this format. On my comp, I copied your placements.txt to an offsets.txt that follows this format for the four characters I downloaded....and it worked out fine.

Ugh. I'm verbose as always. I hope you get what I'm trying to say here. Don't change your placements files. If you can make separate files called "offsets.txt" that follow this exact format, I'd be ecstatic. Or you can send me the placements files, and I'll format them. This is becoming more realistic than I thought...

Good find with the music. I'll check up on the SDK.

voorhese

Smash Master
yah, i still dont know how to do this, i need a file to open torrents and stuff before they work right?

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
hey. buddy. jason. time to chat about legal SWF discussion.

Not to be too harsh here, but seriously, check it out on the internet. (google or wikipedia for what you think you need to know). don't ask for iso files, rar files, roms, torrents, bittorrent, p2p info, etc.
Here is not the place. If you need specific instructions, PM someone who is willing to give them to you. I'm not. sorry

Steelia

Smash Champion
Ack... I wouldn't mind sending you the Placement files I've got so far, GodFed (I can send you the raw textures that go with them, too.) I'll feel guilty as 'ell for not fixing them up; sorry about that. I've got quite a bit on my hands as it is.

AH, and for those who are interested in tackling music, you may want to check on this. Just a heads-up.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Just the placements are needed, really. I don’t need any of the textures. I figure once I get a good amount of the placement txt files, I’ll make and package the offsets txt files with the program. when I release it, though…. I’ll probably wait until next weekend to release to figure out some kinks in _8 and _9 files, so I hope that’s enough time for you to send over some placements files.

Haha, imagine my surprise two days ago when saw that forum and thought –hey, convenient how someone’s asking for hps format, too – then I saw it was you. Always a step ahead… But I’m sure grateful that that guy’s feeling like making a converter.
On .ssm topic, though…I spent the weekend looking through different audio file types, and .ssm is a package of .dsp audio files, which can be called and played on the fly by the game. I used one of hcm’s extraction programs to extract the .dsp’s and I used dspadpcm.exe from the wii sdk to make a workable, .6 second long, wav audio file. I haven’t tested whether I can make .dsp’s to insert back…but that’s for next week.

Eugenio

Smash Lord
just tossing ideas at you mad geniuses

The Joker Marth

Dante Marth

Sephiroth Marth

The Flash Captain Falcon

Captain America Falcon

Spider Man Shiek

Fonzie Fox and Falco

black boots

batman ganondorf

Speed Racer and Racer X Captain Falcon

maf5693

Smash Rookie
Fed- as for your tpl converter---i've been studying up on my openGL XD and the dolphin SVN and i think we might be able to crack the code on these .tpl files completely- not just the textures---can you get in touch with the guy who cracked the trophy-polygon code from forever ago(remember the peach and link and yoshi trophies) also- ive been doing some testing with running backup GCISOs on the GC and i have some gc-sized dvd-rw disks(the same type on which they burned smash) and I've founded you can reverse-burn the iso's onto these disks and plug and chug right onto the gc itself...

Also- can you ask mr mack if he evr found the ocarina of time disk? tell him it would be in teh twilight princess case and that i havent forgotten about him and if he still couldnt find it that im in the process of ordering another.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Didn't Sakurai produce Kirby's Air Ride and Melee? Perhaps that's why the music works so perfectly in Melee...

Either way, custom music in Melee would be awesome.

ShootingStars

Smash Apprentice
Ack... I wouldn't mind sending you the Placement files I've got so far, GodFed (I can send you the raw textures that go with them, too.) I'll feel guilty as 'ell for not fixing them up; sorry about that. I've got quite a bit on my hands as it is.

AH, and for those who are interested in tackling music, you may want to check on this. Just a heads-up.
how was this BGM change done?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SIk0mNlrzQ
T_T
http://www.youtube.com/user/StackSmash#play/uploads/1/VZJvFWt9Ync

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ Haha, those are my vids... I'm apart of Stack Smash, known as S.. In my actual YT account, nifanatic, I upload videos like that all the time. I just mute the music in Melee and apply music via Windows Media Maker. Pardon that confusion. :p

Top Bottom