• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
I haven't been this stressed out for the build-up of an event since the last time my team made it to the super bowl. >_<

Part of me will be glad this will be over with tonight though. I just hope the right game takes it home.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Urggghhh...My heart is pounding. I may not even be able to stay up for the final hour due to work unless I just sleep all day and then stay up all night. God dammit I just want this all to end

:phone:
I don't think Skullgirls is going to win, not even 1000 dollars was donated on the charity stream last night.

If Melee gets into EVO this year, do you think Project:M can take its place for EVO 2014

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
So what is ST, exactly? I can't find the full name anywhere, and I feel like it's so obvious that I skipped past it.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I don't think Skullgirls is going to win, not even 1000 dollars was donated on the charity stream last night.

If Melee gets into EVO this year, do you think Project:M can take its place for EVO 2014
**** no. I'm really not liking the development of the game right now. They need to add in Roy.
They also completely ruined Toon Link as a character. Young Link at the moment stands as a WAY better character than Toon Link. They are moving in the wrong direction at the moment and don't really listen to the community =\

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR

Slashy

Smash Lord
**** no. I'm really not liking the development of the game right now. They need to add in Roy.
They also completely ruined Toon Link as a character. Young Link at the moment stands as a WAY better character than Toon Link. They are moving in the wrong direction at the moment and don't really listen to the community =\
I'm pretty sure they can't add characters, the closest they can do is add modifiers that you have do hold down buttons to select.

If you want Marth VS Roy you would have to port Marth to a separate character and add a button modifier to select him.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
****'s just gotten real. Someone's gotta make a dbz connection to calling on the past champion for aid.
Made me think for awhile...what about when Goku came back from the dead for the world tournament and the announcer was all like holy **** that's the old champ. He won when he was 12

Rakuko

Smash Cadet
godfreakingdammit ST. i wake up and you get $30k. great for breast cancer, but ST had a great tournament at EVO 2012. i'm mostly just salty cuz this happened in the last day or so tho

guess i'll be putting up $40 for the pokemon art after all

Revven

FrankerZ
They are moving in the wrong direction at the moment and don't really listen to the community =\
You're one person vs the very many other hundreds of players who like the current incarnation of Toon Link. It's the wrong direction in your opinion alone. They do listen to the community, but you're one person... you're not the whole community. You don't represent *everybody*

Anyway, that is off topic.

Laijin

Smash Hero
You're one person vs the very many other hundreds of players who like the current incarnation of Toon Link. It's the wrong direction in your opinion alone.

Anyway, that is off topic.
Sure it might be my opinion, but Young Link is still a way better character than the current version of Toon Link. I just don't get why they wouldn't take the best of Young Link and give it to Toon Link instead of basically giving TL none of YL's tools(except for his n-air, and that even doesn't really work the same).

zmx

Smash Lord
Toon Link had a better unique nair than YL and they took that away to give him the generic nair of Link :/

His aerial zair is also useless again when it's quite good in Brawl.

I feel the Project M team is so focused on making it more like Melee they are overlooking all the things Brawl improved on that in no way should be removed.

Another example is Diddy's bananas. I thought the Project M staff liked combos? Why would they remove almost all the combo potential from bananas? Diddy is so much worse now.

BrandX

Smash Ace
Ugh...I dont want to give up, I wont give up hope. But I will say that, whoever wins, gg

I love you all. Besides, there is always next evo for us, or at least genesis

Laijin

Smash Hero
Toon Link had a better unique nair than YL and they took that away to give him the generic nair of Link :/

His aerial zair is also useless again when it's quite good in Brawl.

I feel the Project M team is so focused on making it more like Melee they are overlooking all the things Brawl improved on that in no way should be removed.
Agreed. I do not like the direction this character is going one bit. Young Link, without a doubt had way better projectiles than both Brawl Toon Link and the current P:M Toon Link. His bombs did more damage, was easier to combo from, since they were floaty he could apply pressure on his opponents very easily with the bomb regrabbing, sweet spot boomerangs..the only thing I liked about Brawl Toon Link projectiles better was his Arrows. Less start up time for more distance.

P:M Toon Link's:
-b-air is worst than Young Link's. You can't use it for pressure anymore.
-Recovery is way worst off. They gave him 64 Link's recovery. Sure you can ATG Bomb recovery or whatever but no matter how you look at it, its WAY worst than most of the cast in terms of recovery when Young Link had one of the best recoveries in melee.
-I'm pretty sure d-air doesn't or rarely combos into itself anymore.
-f-air's hitbox no longer swings behind his body anymore, once again getting rid of Young Link's godlike pressure options.

etc etc. I'll stop ranting. Point is P:M Toon Link is a terrible character compared to Melee's Young Link.

R2_GP

Smash Journeyman
Ugh...I dont want to give up, I wont give up hope. But I will say that, whoever wins, gg

I love you all. Besides, there is always next evo for us, or at least genesis

ohh ****! quick! give us your spirit bomb! just kidding lol :awesome:

jokes aside, great spirit man :)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Agreed. I do not like the direction this character is going one bit. Young Link, without a doubt had way better projectiles than both Brawl Toon Link and the current P:M Toon Link. His bombs did more damage, was easier to combo from, since they were floaty he could apply pressure on his opponents very easily with the bomb regrabbing, sweet spot boomerangs..the only thing I liked about Brawl Toon Link projectiles better was his Arrows. Less start up time for more distance.

P:M Toon Link's:
-b-air is worst than Young Link's. You can't use it for pressure anymore.
-Recovery is way worst off. They gave him 64 Link's recovery. Sure you can ATG Bomb recovery or whatever but no matter how you look at it, its WAY worst than most of the cast in terms of recovery when Young Link had one of the best recoveries in melee.
-I'm pretty sure d-air doesn't or rarely combos into itself anymore.
-f-air's hitbox no longer swings behind his body anymore, once again getting rid of Young Link's godlike pressure options.

etc etc. I'll stop ranting. Point is P:M Toon Link is a terrible character compared to Melee's Young Link.
Take your salt to the PM boards, this isn't the place.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
I've been following the FGC for years and I still think it's absolutely hilarious that I don't hear the term "salt" or "salty" anywhere else in my life. I need to start spreading this.

But yeah, what's better than a two-way race? A three-way race! Lookin' forward to both melee and SG streams tonight, I'll watch them at the same time.

I'll watch ST's stream too- oh wait.

zmx

Smash Lord
I don't even use Toon Link much. I was just pointing out poor design decisions.

Anyway I don't think it's a 3 way race anymore. I highly doubt SG has a chance now, they seem to have given up.

The Mofo

Smash Apprentice
The way I see it, this ST jank could be a blessing in disguise.

There's a few main groups of donators-- avid melee, avid SG, avid ST, anything-but-melee, and vote-for-current-leader people. What is interesting is that this ST change of events has been causing people to change camps in everything but the avid-melee group. While everybody else is spreading their money between SG and ST, us smasher's aren't phased are continuing our exponential momentum. In fact, we're probably even more energized.

If you donated $100 to SG and now you want ST to win, would you donate another $100 to ST? Much less likely. Even less so with larger donation amounts.

Reasons this could be absolutely meaningless: ST has a few hard-hitters with large bank accounts; it's possible that a new unknown number of avid-ST donators will be popping up.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Reasons this could be absolutely meaningless: ST has a few hard-hitters with large bank accounts; it's possible that a new unknown number of avid-ST donators will be popping up.
Yeah, I was thinking either they had a quiet drive and this is the result of that, or it's the work of one or a very few well-funded donors (and this might sound paranoid, but I wouldn't put it past Capcom to sneak in some money anonymously to further promote themselves). In the latter case, neither we nor SG has a shot at all.

Laijin

Smash Hero
donated because hylian just put *****es in place.
I was just listing all of their absolutely horrid design decisions. I don't really like that P:M thread since its basically a circle jerk.

But anyways back on topic.

If the japanese dude rumor is true, that means ST will cap out around 60-65k probably. If we can exceed that then we're in the clear for sure most likely. All that matters is how big our spirit bomb ends up being

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Thank you very much!
I was not expecting that response. Your welcome. I am a big fan of the smash games but have not payed attention to the competitive scene in years. Since Ken was still playing. This Melee at evo hype got me to sign up.

V-K

Smash Ace
I was just thinking..
Would it be possible for AZ to send an email to every single user that has ever registered on Smashboards and ask them for support?

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I was just listing all of their absolutely horrid design decisions. I don't really like that P:M thread since its basically a circle jerk.

But anyways back on topic.

If the japanese dude rumor is true, that means ST will cap out around 60-65k probably. If we can exceed that then we're in the clear for sure most likely. All that matters is how big our spirit bomb ends up being
That thread is not really worth going if you want to talk about PM, it's a small group of people who post random ****, and it got worse now since it's a "social thread". At least in the past mods warned them or gave infractions for being off topic, but now what used to be off topic is the actual topic and any serious discussion is done in the character boards.

Now getting back to the donation drive, Josh the Funkdoc is having a drive for ST and from what I remember, he raised over 10k in couple of days in his previous drive for RAINN, so even if the 50k rumor turns out to be false they will most likely get a ton of money.
I hope the drive at VGBC is enough to beat ST.

EDIT: the stream is live at http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Well. Tonight we're gonna see an absolute insane amount of money being passed around. Its gonna be crazty. Gonna pick up a six pack and some pizza and watch the action tonight.
That is going to be nerve racking. I do not want ST to win. It is a classic game, but there is already SF4 and SFXT at evo. Plus then half the games would be Capcom. At least breast cancer reseach will be getting a ton of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom