• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Megaman, Pac-Man, and Sonic = THE perfect 3rd party trifecta (PAC-MAN CONFIRMED THE DREAM IS REAL!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Yeah, I don't get this "trifecta" thing. To me, Pac-Man is a character from the 80's, Mega Man is late 80's and early 90's, and Sonic is 90's. All of them are iconic, but on different levels: Pac-Man is genuinely iconic among gaming, Mega Man is an iconic NES-related character and a Capcom mascot, and Sonic is iconic of Sega.

For me, if Pac-Man was included, I wouldn't care about some "3rd party trifecta" thing. Rather, it would be a trifecta of 80's arcade representation: Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, Pac-Man. Three 80's arcade giants.

...Having said all of that, I have no interest whatsoever in Pac-Man getting in. I'm quietly all for Simon Belmont to be honest...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Triforce arcade system board = Nintendo, Sega, Namco

The Triforce games that I know of are F-Zero AX and Mario Kart Arcade GP games.

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
If the E3 rumor is true then we might get Pacman (but I think he is going to be a secret character) and I'm happy with it, even if that means having Mii's in the game...

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
As one of the most avid Pac-Man supporters, I'd just like to remind everyone that Mac's reveal really doesn't add that much credibility to the E3 leak. Mac was a very safe bet from the beginning. And even if Pac-Man and Mii also get revealed, that could also very well just be coincidental. It's not like any of these characters are highly improbable.

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
But the leaked also mentioned Villager and WFT, and I would have never thought of those 2...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Nope. Nothing was hinted or confirmed. It's just a feeling im getting because of the Little Mac reveal trailer.
But it showed an arcade machine! Yes, it was a Punch-Out!! arcade machine... but imagine seeing a Pac-Man arcade machine in a Smash trailer. :awesome:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
But the leaked also mentioned Villager and WFT, and I would have never thought of those 2...
The difference is that WFT and Villager were both revealed when the leak said they would be. There are a plethora of explanations that could explain why the leak can still have been technically incorrect. For example, perhaps the leaker knew about the three originally-revealed characters, and threw in three others to make himself sound more credible, or to troll the fanbase and keep them guessing (which is exactly what happened, whether intentional or not, as we're still talking about it 8+ months later). Not saying the leak is 100% false, but even if all of the hinted characters are revealed, it still wouldn't necessarily validate the leak.

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
But it showed an arcade machine! Yes, it was a Punch-Out!! arcade machine... but imagine seeing a Pac-Man arcade machine in a Smash trailer. :awesome:
I honestly predict that Smash Bros will be released in around November/December and before then we can see a new trailer for Smash Bros with Pac-Man revealed at E3 to create some buzz and attention. Then we'll probably see an arcade machine in the trailer with Pacman in it lol

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
I just don't see the appeal of getting Simon from Castlevania in the game. I'd much MUCH rather have Pac-Man, and I get how it makes sense.

Pac-Man, Sonic, Mario, and Mega Man. All seemed like the big names from me. It's Namco vs SEGA vs Nintendo vs Capcom. Infact, I'm all for it.

I already see the unique move set ideas. I saw the stage ideas. I can't think of any reason to say no.

Hell, I can see the trailer at E-3. Sonic, Mario and Megaman are all gathered around some random arcade cabinet. The camera rises up a bit to show them all watching Mario play Pac-Man. The camera zooms in on the screen, and the game just freezes. Pac-Man then turns to the screen, and his fist comes rising out of it, followed with the rest of his body. The camera cuts back to show Sonic, Megaman and Mario all picking themselves off the ground while now facing a standing up Pac-Man.

"PAC-MAN HAS JOINED THE PARTY."

Hell. Yes. Give me it.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't have much history with Pac Man and Mega Man, so the tri fecta kinda falls apart for me. It's not that I don't understand their importance it's just that I don't really feel anything.

I was born in 1991 if anyone wants to know, the first consoles I owned were the gameboy and n64. Although my cousin had a megadrive. (where I met Sonic)

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I don't have much history with Pac Man and Mega Man, so the tri fecta kinda falls apart for me. It's not that I don't understand their importance it's just that I don't really feel anything.
You never played Pac Man at any arcades when you were little? o.0

But regardless it's never too late to try their games out. You can get them both on Virtual Console for both Wii and 3DS I think.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
You never played Pac Man at any arcades when you were little? o.0

But regardless it's never too late to try their games out. You can get them both on Virtual Console for both Wii and 3DS I think.
Well I did say "I don't have much history with". Implying I have a little. I have played Pacman as a kid but not to the extent that I feel anything for him. I think my first time playing Pacman was on one of those sets you plug into a TV and they come pre-packaged with 50-100 retro games. It's where I played games like Ice Climbers and Duck Hunt for the first time too.

For me, Pacman was a game I played and then forgot about. I guess I just never became addicted.

There weren't any arcades near where I lived.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I just don't see the appeal of getting Simon from Castlevania in the game. I'd much MUCH rather have Pac-Man, and I get how it makes sense.

Pac-Man, Sonic, Mario, and Mega Man. All seemed like the big names from me. It's Namco vs SEGA vs Nintendo vs Capcom. Infact, I'm all for it.

I already see the unique move set ideas. I saw the stage ideas. I can't think of any reason to say no.

Hell, I can see the trailer at E-3. Sonic, Mario and Megaman are all gathered around some random arcade cabinet. The camera rises up a bit to show them all watching Mario play Pac-Man. The camera zooms in on the screen, and the game just freezes. Pac-Man then turns to the screen, and his fist comes rising out of it, followed with the rest of his body. The camera cuts back to show Sonic, Megaman and Mario all picking themselves off the ground while now facing a standing up Pac-Man.

"PAC-MAN HAS JOINED THE PARTY."

Hell. Yes. Give me it.
This is what I've been saying all along. It's the perfect representation of all the big mascots together. Mario represents Nintendo. Sonic represents Sega. There are a lot of character to represent Capcom, but for many people who grew up with an NES, MegaMan was Capcom's big star. As for Namco, their mascot has and always will be Pac-Man, as he's one of the most popular video game characters of all time. Gaming wouldn't be where it is today without him. All of these characters might not have ever existed were it not for Pac-Man. If you don't believe me, look it up anywhere online. Pac-Man's influence on video games is monstrous. Before Pac-Man, people began to think of video gaming as a fad, a hobby that would die out over time.

In a game pitting the biggest and most influential characters brawling against each other, I honestly see no reason whatsoever that Pac-Man shouldn't have a slot in there. Not only does he fit in better in Smash than any other fighting game, he's so important to gaming as a history to be left on the sidelines. He might not be relevant to modern gamers, but to people who grew up and watched gaming grow and expand from a "fad" into an every day thing, Pac-Man is a legend.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As long as Snake gets in, I'd love getting Pac-Man.

I just don't want him at the expense of Snake.

I'm curious, how many people have the same opinion as me?

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Reverse for me actually. I won't mind Snake getting in as long as it's not at the expense of Pac-Man. Honestly I always felt that Pac-Man was more suited for Smash Bros. than Snake.

JediLink

Smash Ace
I don't want Pac-Man. Smash isn't a crossover for iconic video game characters, it's a crossover for iconic Nintendo characters, and Pac-Man has very little importance or relevance to Nintendo. He's also just not an appealing or interesting character to begin with IMO.

Simon Belmont on the other hand is very relevant to Nintendo, he'd have an awesome whip and projectile moveset, and as a bonus whole bunch of Castlevania remixes in Smash. Who wouldn't want that?

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I don't want Pac-Man. Smash isn't a crossover for iconic video game characters, it's a crossover for iconic Nintendo characters, and Pac-Man has very little importance or relevance to Nintendo. He's also just not an appealing or interesting character to begin with IMO.

Simon Belmont on the other hand is very relevant to Nintendo, he'd have an awesome whip and projectile moveset, and as a bonus whole bunch of Castlevania remixes in Smash. Who wouldn't want that?
Simon Belmont isn't relevant to Nintendo. Konami produced Castlevania games on the NES because it was the only system at the time. Saying that Simon Belmont is relevant to Nintendo because it was on the Nintendo is like saying Tiny Toons are relevant to Nintendo, although I do suppose Simon Belmont had a spot in the old Captain N cartoon, but so did Burger Time and **** N Boots.

Regardless, the relationship between them doesn't seem very strong right now. They produced the DDR Mario Mix on the GameCube, but that's the last thing I can think of where they worked together. In fact, I don't even recall a Castlevania game being on a Nintendo system since the N64 (VC titles aside). The last few have all been on PlayStation 2 and then PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. Even the new Lords of Shadows 2 isn't being made for the Wii U due to resource limitations.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
As long as Snake gets in, I'd love getting Pac-Man.

I just don't want him at the expense of Snake.

I'm curious, how many people have the same opinion as me?
This is basically my position as well, though I wouldn't mind Pac-Man getting in without Snake, because he wouldn't be taking Snake's spot. It'd just be Pac-Man getting in and Snake not getting in. I like both series, but I prefer Pac-Man to MGS, and the series fits in better and is more important to Nintendo anyway. So even if we lost Snake for Pac-Man, I'd feel like we'd be trading up. That being said, I do like MGS and Snake as a character, and I'd be very sad to see him go, and I'd definitely sympathize with more dedicated Snake fans.

Now, if Simon Belmont replaced Snake, even though I much prefer MGS to Castlevania, I'd find it pretty difficult to be disappointed. So I guess to summarize my opinion on the matter, I'd love to have Pac-Man, and either Snake or Simon, but I'd take Pac-Man alone before I'd take either of those two alone.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well little mac helps pac man because of the E3 rumor earlier

And unrelated too the 3 but little mac also helps ridley because sakurai now looking into characters more loved in usa than japan

If pac man is more loved in usa than japan thats a few points for pac man

JediLink

Smash Ace
Simon Belmont isn't relevant to Nintendo. Konami produced Castlevania games on the NES because it was the only system at the time. Saying that Simon Belmont is relevant to Nintendo because it was on the Nintendo is like saying Tiny Toons are relevant to Nintendo, although I do suppose Simon Belmont had a spot in the old Captain N cartoon, but so did Burger Time and **** N Boots.

Regardless, the relationship between them doesn't seem very strong right now. They produced the DDR Mario Mix on the GameCube, but that's the last thing I can think of where they worked together. In fact, I don't even recall a Castlevania game being on a Nintendo system since the N64 (VC titles aside). The last few have all been on PlayStation 2 and then PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. Even the new Lords of Shadows 2 isn't being made for the Wii U due to resource limitations.
Simon's relevance to Nintendo is the same as Mega Man's. He was a main character in Captain N, alongside Mega Man. Castlevania 1-3 are some of the most prolific and remembered NES games, same as Mega Man 1-6. Also, are you forgetting about all the GBA/DS games? There were tons of them. (Just like Mega Man)

Simon isn't quite as iconic or popular as Mega Man is, which is why Mega Man got priority, but Simon is just as relevant to Nintendo's history.

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
Simon's relevance to Nintendo is the same as Mega Man's. He was a main character in Captain N, alongside Mega Man. Castlevania 1-3 are some of the most prolific and remembered NES games, same as Mega Man 1-6. Also, are you forgetting about all the GBA/DS games? There were tons of them. (Just like Mega Man)

Simon isn't quite as iconic or popular as Mega Man is, which is why Mega Man got priority, but Simon is just as relevant to Nintendo's history.
To be fair, Pac-Man has more relevance to Nintendo than Mega Man or Castlevania/Simon. Really, it's quite obvious Pac-Man NEEDS to be in over Simon.

But honestly, going by line up of games, Mega Man is more relevant. A lot more.

They'd be absolutely crazy to put Simon in this game. Absolutely crazy.

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
Going by how many titles that Pac-Man appeared in that went onto Nintendo systems does outweigh the games Castlevania had for Nintendo systems. It's not the strongest argument in that scenario.

The relevance to Nintendo is honestly quite simple as of lately with the Mario Kart arcade games recently featuring Pac-Man. Hell, it's one of their key points on the game is having Pac-Man involved. As far as I know, Mario and Simon never really shared an encounter, did they? Feel free to educate me on that aspect.

That, and I just feel Pac-Man in general needs to be in over Simon because I feel like Simon is more of a S.C. type of fighter. Pac-Man, I feel just fits more into the realm of Super Smash Bros when you take the bigger names and throw them all in. That's not me down playing Simon, that's me saying Pac Man is a name, regardless of gaming relevance that will always go down history. While Castlevania isn't a joke and I love the series, Simon Belmot isn't exactly a popular name unless you head out of gaming.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Nintendo fanboy logic time -

Shigeru Miyamoto made Pac Man Vs. An awesome gamecube to game boy advance game if you had the materials. Also probably the most recent really awesome thing to happen to Pac Man. And has been on every nintendo console except for Virtual Boy. That's ten consoles.

Pac Man has appeared in Mario Kart.

----

Simon Belmont hasn't been in a Nintendo game since Castlevania three, though I do like having Captain N's N team.

----

Pac Man over Simon.

wakka wakka.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
While I agree that Pac-Man has good odds of appearing in this game, given his relationship with Nintendo and Namco Bandai etc., personally, he wouldn't complete the trifecta for me. I'm sure he'd be a great addition, but I wouldn't be as excited for him as I would other third party reps. Snake excited me... Sonic almost made me cry with happiness, and Megaman had me jumping for joy - but a Pac-Man reveal would leave me happy but not hyped or excited on the same level.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Pac-Man and Simon are my two most wanted new third-parties, actually. Can't we have both? Oh, but I don't want to get rid of Snake...But Simon vs Mega Man would be so cool.

JediLink

Smash Ace
The relevance to Nintendo is honestly quite simple as of lately with the Mario Kart arcade games recently featuring Pac-Man. Hell, it's one of their key points on the game is having Pac-Man involved. As far as I know, Mario and Simon never really shared an encounter, did they? Feel free to educate me on that aspect
Like I said, Simon was a main character in Captain N. We already have Pit and Mega Man; Simon's the only one that's not in yet. Screw the 3rd party trifecta, I want the Captain N reunion!

That, and I just feel Pac-Man in general needs to be in over Simon because I feel like Simon is more of a S.C. type of fighter. Pac-Man, I feel just fits more into the realm of Super Smash Bros when you take the bigger names and throw them all in. That's not me down playing Simon, that's me saying Pac Man is a name, regardless of gaming relevance that will always go down history. While Castlevania isn't a joke and I love the series, Simon Belmot isn't exactly a popular name unless you head out of gaming.
S.C. = Soulcalibur, right?
If you put in Pac-Man, then you might as well put in Master Chief and Lara Croft too. They're legendary, right? Obviously that's an exaggeration, but that's kind of how I see it. Pac-Man just doesn't scream Nintendo the same way that Mega Man, Simon, or someone like Banjo and Kazooie would.

Of course, it's entirely possible that Pac-Man will be added simply because Bamco is co-developing the game, and I guess I'd just have to tolerate that.

Simon Belmont hasn't been in a Nintendo game since Castlevania three
Simon wasn't even in Castlevania 3. That was Trevor. He was in Castlevania 4 for the SNES, though, as well as in Castlevania Judgement for the Wii, and he cameos in Harmony of Dissonance for the GBA. Simon isn't actually in that many games, but he represents Castlevania as a whole in the same way that classic Mega Man represents Mega Man as a whole.

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
S.C. = Soulcalibur, right?
If you put in Pac-Man, then you might as well put in Master Chief and Lara Croft too. They're legendary, right? Obviously that's an exaggeration, but that's kind of how I see it. Pac-Man just doesn't scream Nintendo the same way that Mega Man, Simon, or someone like Banjo and Kazooie would.

Of course, it's entirely possible that Pac-Man will be added simply because Bamco is co-developing the game, and I guess I'd just have to tolerate that..

I guess to each their own. I definitely feel Pac-Man just screams out to be in the game more than Simon does. And don't tease me with Banjo and Kazooie. I know damn well that's not going to happen, and none of you people are going to make me want it more than I already do. LEAVE IT ALONE.

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
Pac-Man may not be relevant in in terms of modern gaming, but his new cartoon is pretty popular with children. It has great ratings.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Like I said, Simon was a main character in Captain N. We already have Pit and Mega Man; Simon's the only one that's not in yet. Screw the 3rd party trifecta, I want the Captain N reunion!
I want both Simon Belmont and Pac-Man. Too bad most people don't want to give up Snake for Simon... and even if Snake is cut from SSB4, they would just support for Snake's return instead of supporting for Simon to join the battle. It is because most people want old things, they don't want new things... and the only way they would accept new things is if it was forced on them... like how people didn't want a 5th Mario character but Sakurai forced Rosalina on them and now people support Rosalina... and like how people didn't think Animal Crossing characters would get in Smash because they are too peaceful but Sakurai forced Villager on them and now people support Villager...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom