• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mega Man Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I'm currently at work, so I can't test everything but Styles has, at least, confirmed a change for Mega Man!

Leaf Shield starts up a lot faster, and the leaves spin faster as well. My work computer sucks, so I can't fully see all the glorious frames of the move yet, but so far, it looks like Plant Barrier, but with leaves. Can anyone confirm?

Source: https://twitter.com/_StylesX2/status/626931086866710528

D

Deleted member

It's so exciting. I really don't want any Mega Man changes, but this is definitely welcome!

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Now if only dsmash was useful at all! I mean it was better before really when Sakurai foight Mario but now its among the worst dsmashes in the game (if not the worst)

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
If this is the only buff we get again, we should totally make a meme out of it. Think about it, with each patch, LS got slightly buffed.
It will eventually be so fast to activate and so lagless when shooting it, we will use it more than the metal blade lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Now if only dsmash was useful at all! I mean it was better before really when Sakurai foight Mario but now its among the worst dsmashes in the game (if not the worst)
Slightly agree. I've been using DSmash for hard reads. Of course, it's rare, but it's actually really good for punishing spot dodges, and some get up options.

MR809

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheWarMachine809
Crash Bomber only makes a sound now when it attaches to someone/switches over as oppose to it making speed up ticking sounds on somebody before it blew up. Now we know more or less if crash bomber latches on to us by hearing the sound as oppose to seeing it.

Kel

Smash Master
It looks like leaf shield goes farther when thrown now. It travels the distance of SV.

I remember it not going that far (but I admittedly haven't used it in a long time).

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Double DW/IS glitch is still there, not that it matters since it seems like customs are dead. Maybe Sakurai could patch in a customs management screen to the character select screen, to make it less work. Then people would be ok with customs being legal (especially if there were some new easy way to unlock all of them).

I feel like Ice Slasher might have been made faster, but I can't be sure since how often does anyone use it? Probably just placebo.

Skull Barrier hits twice on throw like Leaf Shield (total of 4 damage). Is that new also?

D

Deleted member

Okay, finally home and tested Leaf Shield, and yeah, the startup seems the same. But basically, with the leaves rotating faster, it creates better shield pressure. And makes it slightly less easier to grab after you shield one of the leaves.

To test this, I went into training mode with Luigi. I activated Leaf Shield with one controller, and tried to dash grab in, and was unsuccessful about 90-ish% of the time.

I then activated it from point blank, to see what it's like if you land on someone with it, and it's still very hard.

The hitbox is a lot quicker with it, almost disallowing your opponent (if they are getting hit by the leaves) to really approach you. So, going in for grabs is quite viable with this version of Leaf Shield. Using it defensively is definitely more viable too. Of course, characters with range might still out-prioritize it.

But I also noticed it clanked with a ROB's jab. I don't know what else it might clank with, but with a quicker hitbox, it definitely adds shield pressure and helps defensively.

I am going to try it out against some live opponents soon, to really see it.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
They need to damage buff it more. The one thing I'm concerned is what did they actually do to get the leaf shield to multihit more consistent now and if this means no more kill set up with back air on platforms, which is what I use it for a lot. I'm just barely downloading the patch as we speak.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
So it sounds like they made it harder for opponents to just attack/grab us through the leaf shield? Is that what I'm hearing?

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
So it sounds like they made it harder for opponents to just attack/grab us through the leaf shield? Is that what I'm hearing?
The leaves spin around you quicker, interrupting grab attempts on a much more regular basis.

It actually feels really nice. You can land 3 leaves on grab without even pummeling now. One pummel eats all your leaves Edit: this part is wrong, my bad guys. This works if the opponent doesn't immediately wiggle free,but it's not guaranteed.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well at least my main main got a useful buff. Definitely going to be interesting on how this effects the Leaf vs Plant debate.

Metal Blade + Leaf Shield = Even Greater Profit LMAO

Skull Barrier hits twice on throw like Leaf Shield (total of 4 damage). Is that new also?
Nope. Just tried it on my non-updated 3DS. No Plant changes either.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
You guys sure it's faster? Comparing both versions the starting leaf still does two loops and ends at the same stop.

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
The leaves spin around you quicker, interrupting grab attempts on a much more regular basis.

It actually feels really nice. You can land 3 leaves on grab without even pummeling now. One pummel eats all your leaves
Wait, pummeling as Megaman removes Leafshield entirely?

Can someone confirm? I'm away from the game at the moment.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Wait... Is Flame Blast faster ? Heck, it went so fast, I can't even think straight XD

Edit : Aaaand placebo strikes again... I really thought it was slower to come out before... which means I didn't use it enough XD

Last edited:

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
Wait, pummeling as Megaman removes Leafshield entirely?

Can someone confirm? I'm away from the game at the moment.
I was doing it on a few different characters. Started up LS, grabbed asap, did one pummel immediately into back throw, all my leaves were gone afterwards.

Gonna test it more tpday

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
I was doing it on a few different characters. Started up LS, grabbed asap, did one pummel immediately into back throw, all my leaves were gone afterwards.

Gonna test it more tpday
Remember that the opponnent takes hit stun so theres no real way of dping all that in just one pummell

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
thats all we need to be top tier
How? Doesn't fix his weakness to safe rush down or his bad approach.

He would need Aerial cool down, less end lag on pellets, and smashes that don't lag for centuries.

A faster down smash would give him another kill option, but it still would be unsafe with its middling range and laggy cool down.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
Remember that the opponnent takes hit stun so theres no real way of dping all that in just one pummell
You're right, I must have been really tired last night when I was testing it.

So I'm definitely wrong. Same amount of leaves hit as before

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Hey guys, the giant thread detailing all the changes in the patch says this about Mega:
  • Leaf Shield (Down-Special) end frame on shield reduced
What's that mean?

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Hey guys, the giant thread detailing all the changes in the patch says this about Mega:
What's that mean?
What I want to know is why many people tells start up is reduced?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
What's that mean?
My guess is that it means that the hitbox doesn't get extended as much on shield.

IIRC, most hitboxes get extended slightly if they hit something. It's most obvious with Wario Waft -- try leaving a bike on the ground, then hit it with a fully charged Wario Waft. It nearly doubles the length that the hitbox stays out.

If I'm right, I think this is a slight buff to Leaf Shield?

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Ah, I see. Thanks!

Why do you think this is a buff, @ ChopperDave ChopperDave ?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Ah, I see. Thanks!

Why do you think this is a buff, @ ChopperDave ChopperDave ?
This is just theorycraft, and I'm not 100% confident of my understanding of the game engine.

But, I think that when a hitbox clashes with a shield, the character who is shielding is invulnerable against other hitboxes throughout the clash. This hurts Leaf Shield, because with the right timing an opponent can shield one leaf, then shieldgrab Mega Man without taking damage/hitstun from the next leaf. Theoretically, this is now harder to do.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
This is just theorycraft, and I'm not 100% confident of my understanding of the game engine.

But, I think that when a hitbox clashes with a shield, the character who is shielding is invulnerable against other hitboxes throughout the clash. This hurts Leaf Shield, because with the right timing an opponent can shield one leaf, then shieldgrab Mega Man without taking damage/hitstun from the next leaf. Theoretically, this is now harder to do.
So you're also saying that when the Shield is thrown, it's more likely to hit twice (which it seems to do now) AND that when Mega Man grabs someone while the shield is active that more leaves will hit the grabbed opponent (which it seems to do now)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom