• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mega Lack of Bowser Players...

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I tried Bowser a couple of times for a little change and I think he actually improved a lot from SSBM. Despite the absence of L-canceling he seems to be a little faster overall and has some nice techs to use. His up-B is pretty amazing. It's fast and has good priority and his neutral B is very good too. Both attacks can stop approaches and works great even against faster characters and do decent damage as well. I also use his dtilt and his ftilt quite a lot and his utilt is a great finisher, that comes out surprisingly fast.

His main problem is actually, that his playstyle doesn't fit to the current Metagame. He can't spam projectiles and he can't stop them too good either. His recovery is sub par, which is bad news in a defensive Metagame like this and he has bad matchup against almost every high tiered characters...

Bowser has a lot of potential but I find it hard to make use of it against good characters.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
hey guys, as much as I love Bowser I actually ***** some competitors with him using U-Dair as well as U-Tilts and some sick spikes, had trouble with a Falco and Sonic since Sonic is like fast, but in the end I played it smart and ranked in on 4th which for me it isn't so bad, but I have a question, what can one do against a Fox or Sonic to counter.

ChocoboDX

Smash Cadet
Nice one Giga! What tourney was it that you placed 4th in?

I would give you some advice if I knew what I was talking about. I'll just let the more seasoned Bowser players give you some advice.

Cheers!

phate

Smash Apprentice
hey guys, as much as I love Bowser I actually ***** some competitors with him using U-Dair as well as U-Tilts and some sick spikes, had trouble with a Falco and Sonic since Sonic is like fast, but in the end I played it smart and ranked in on 4th which for me it isn't so bad, but I have a question, what can one do against a Fox or Sonic to counter.
Fox is an even matchup if you take advantage of his largest weaknesses. Killing potential, recovery, and light weight.

He will have a tough time killing you unless he uses smash attacks or edgeguards you successfully. I know its hard to mix up your recovery to keep your opponent guessing but try anyway. You can do things such as attack while you are getting toward the stage or recovering to a platform on a level such as battlefield. It should take him awhile to kill you.

Fox's recovery is very predictable. When you start to notice a pattern, meet his recovery with fire (off the edge) or an attack to finish him off (on the stage)

Save a move to ko fox with so it is not diminished and you should be able to kill him at around 80-90%

As for sonic, look around in this wasteland of a forum and look a topic that I think is called sonic is mean to bowser or something like that. You should get the a pretty good start on how to win that matchup in there.

edit: here I found it for you: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=181647

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Fox is an even matchup if you take advantage of his largest weaknesses. Killing potential, recovery, and light weight.

Fox's recovery is better than Bowsers and his upsmash is a better killer than any of Bowsers smasch attacks. I'd say Fox has a large advantage

He will have a tough time killing you unless he uses smash attacks or edgeguards you successfully.

Fox isn't the best edgeguard. However, he won't have problems to finish bowser off. His dair and his laser can deal much damage in very little time and he can use multiple utilts to deal up to 30%, when you're on low %. All his smashes and his uair can kill you fast and effectively

Save a move to ko fox with so it is not diminished and you should be able to kill him at around 80-90%

Except that Fox can bring you to 150% in that time, while you still have to land a good finisher on him
Bowser has several disadvantages, you didn't mention. Fox can reflect his fire breath with his reflector and his speed leaves you almost without a chance. His dair and his utilt combo all deal up to 20%/30%, while you can't even react. Not to mention that fox has a laser and - yes - the better recovery

nejiattack

Smash Rookie
WHat!! That's what makes him great. It's like pokemon,rare is good.
And all it take to find out things is just one person.

phate

Smash Apprentice
Bowser has several disadvantages, you didn't mention. Fox can reflect his fire breath with his reflector and his speed leaves you almost without a chance. His dair and his utilt combo all deal up to 20%/30%, while you can't even react. Not to mention that fox has a laser and - yes - the better recovery
You punish with fire while he is recovering, thus he would not be able to use his reflector. Also who cares if fox can combo bowser, bowser can kill him at a way earlier percentage as long as you play smart. I have had extensive experience with this matchup and I know that fox has a hard time approaching bowser. Playing smart and spacing makes this matchup equal in my opinion.

Tenki

Smash Hero
There's a lack of serious Sonic players, but they're not complaining.

Also, being good and being able to read Sonic's future moves (especially out of spring) is always a good thing.

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
I dont main bowser but i still play pretty well as him and my friend thinks he sucks.

I prove him wrong though. i love downsmash then down b my favorite combo

Venoxxis.

Smash Cadet
Bowser rox!
I play him since I got melee, and that was the day it just came out!
he was the first char i played there!

and it also been the first i played im brawl, i just love his power used in the right way :p

Top Bottom