• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Me no likey Captain Falon...y

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
we're done. how do you suggest using the uptilt. i mean its slow, can you time it during his approach and will he just run into it or do you have to wd toward him then do it?

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Most falcons switch their spacing up depending on how the opponent is punishing it. If they go for a nair hit with the tip of their toes, you can simply wavedash back fsmash. If they aim for the spot behind you you can get under their aerials with an uptilt. DJC upairing through nair works reasonably well too. (Not sure if up-angled ftilt or uptilt is better to use in those situations, I personally prefer uptilt.)

However, Falcon is so fast, if you predict something and he does something else, you can get combo ***** >_<
Only thing that's really good with uptilt is doing it behind his shield, a lot of falcons use jump OoS or roll away when you get behind them.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Just for the record, up tilt looks like it comes out slowly.

But please trust me; peep the frame data and the hitboxes...the move comes out MUCH earlier than it seems and is a great tool with its weird arc. Experiment with it for a bit.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Shiri, um is there anyway to consolidate whats in this thread into a single post? I find it difficult to read through all these match up thread pages. I mean ill do it but to someone who needs a quick reference...well its just not there. If you want to work on something like putting all this matchup stuff in a single post id be willing to help. like a guide of some kind. idk. what do you think?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: If you'd like, please feel free to make a summary of the information here and send it to me.

Or post it.

I will put it in the OP for the thread.

You guys can do this for all the matchup threads if that will make using them easier for you.

Just make sure you use the information that's posted in the thread--this is to prevent bias and outlandish/exaggerated/untrue figures/techniques/guidelines from popping up out of nowhere.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
ok will do.

Also Im having NO luck with the utilt to stop aerial approaches from Cfalcon. but the ftilt seems to work if you tilt it up and it has more range

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
I have some data on this match up. And your right Lordydennek. Foward tilt works wonders in shutting down captain falcon's approach. It was also found out way back that wavedashing backwards is horrible NEVER Do it unless ur a mile a way. Because its sooo easy for him to get knees off. when You have him blocking after he has landed be hind u. Thats when I perfer to use up tilt. It shuts down grabs and out of sheild options. And like you already know, one tilt leads to 60% combo ending most of the time with easy edge gaurd. This match is that bad, just don't get grabed and DI correctly.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Ya I like the utilt against sheilds. and the combos are endless. Basically this matchup should be played with yoshi on the ground 80% of the time. The only time you should be jumping is to djc nairs against the BACK of cfalcons sheild and comboing. oh and perhaps a bair or two after he whiffs an aerial. and the knee has hit me out of djc at like 50 or 60 i swear it happened. soo i say that just jumping is better

ok another thing i need some direction on is sheild pressuring this guy. if your not spot on your gonna get grabbed. usually i just go behind him to do it although im sure that you can do it from the front. Im gonna guess that ftilting him(perhaps tilted down to get a poke?) and then jabs. Im not sure about the dtilt. ive seen it easily jumped over and stomped. then theres the utilt. this gets tricky cuz ive been grabbed in the whind down time quite a bit. i need some info on that. if youre on CFs backside however, the utilt should be SPAMMMMED. cuz if he jumps youll catch him...i love it.

Also the dsmash-i just noticed this but when yoshi whips his tail behind him it goes lower than it does it in front. THUS you can hit ppl right off the ledge and slightly below it. takes a bit of timing but ive done it.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
This matchup is so fun.

You can combo Falcon, he can combo you. It's just back and forth awesome. Also Yoshi won't get gimp edgeguarded at low percents. It's just starting the combos that's troublesome for Yoshi, and easy for Falcon. That's why he's high tier.

Fair as usual is a good starter, but only feasible if you jump over a raptor boost or otherwise mindgame him.

Utilt is great, but it only is good when he's not in a position to nair you (i.e. you're behind him)

Usmash is like a super utilt, it has more power and priority. Can work at the right percents, and is safer than utilt if the Falcon is committed.

Dtilt will leave to tech chases which leads to:

Grabs! Grabs work! You just have to know when he will shield, because its so easy to just jump out and stomp you. But Yoshi barely grabs otherwise so its pretty easy knowing when he will shield.

Uair is mostly a mid combo move but it can work if you midair crouch cancel his stuff.

Try to get one of the above moves off. Ftilt, nair, fsmash and neutral b can all be used to punish falcon if he doesn't like getting in position where you can combo him.

Also edgeguarding is easy dsmash or edgehog basic basic stuff. But otherwise dsmash is difficult to land, because falcon is either dash dancing, jumping, or shielded.

holywhack

Smash Apprentice
is there anything new with this matchup in the current meta? as in, what works and what doesn't work (if anything has changed, that is)

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
btw you "super bumped" this topic... I'd take it to my thread, or even the MU thread... :) im sure me/other yoshi's can discuss there.. :)

Calabi

Smash Rookie
I find that short-hop knees are easy to predict (falcon doesn't do much else lol), so what I do when I know it's coming is jump over it. It puts me in a nice position to down-b, and if you time it right and have crazy prediction skills, you can hit them with the down-b or at least annoy them with the stars.

Best case, if it's late-match and you've observed a lack of shield game (lots of people on net-play that I've fought have awful shield game), you can nail them with yoshi's dair.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
crouch cancel neutral airs
parry poorly spaced aerials
get good at double jump/double jump nairing out of his uthrow combos. He can almost always get 1 aerial after an uthrow, but he shouldn't get more with good DI and proper double jump timing. (In some cases he might hit the second aerial, but you should have armor)

spot dodge his grab
if he baits the spotdodge and goes for a knee you might have time to parry it

LIGHT SHIELD AGAINST STOMP

and obiously shield drop is op, but be careful, it's not too hard to space around it

shield drop into a double jump can give you alot of options

Top Bottom