• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mayflash 4 Gamecube Adapter Available

Well who knows what the issue was.

As we don't know all the facts, we really shouldn't comment on Nintendo's business sense lol.
Of all the companies to give the benefit of the fiscal doubt, Nintendo would hardly be my first choice.

But I'm not gonna claim to be a business expert or anything, so I'll leave it at that.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Of all the companies to give the benefit of the fiscal doubt, Nintendo would hardly be my first choice.

But I'm not gonna claim to be a business expert or anything, so I'll leave it at that.
You'd be surprised. Everyone always thinks Sega is in the red, but they've been profiting for like 2-3 year straight lol.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Making a huge huge assumption that people can't adapt to change as if its unfathomable that people just instead have a preference for a controller they're comfortable with or that they dont want to shell out money for a controller they are not comfortable with, is not winning you any points in the "decent person" category.

Especially considering that Nintendo is going out of their way to contract out an adapter while creating a new run of Wii U branded gamecube controllers and Gamecube-styled Classic Controllers, which essentially screams, "HEY GUYS. YOU LIKE THIS CONTROLLER? HAVE MORE! YOU DONT HAVE TO STOP USING IT IF YOU WANT! I LOVE ACCESSIBILITY FOR ALL OUR PLAYERS!"
Now I'm not a dictionary or nothing, but I'm pretty damn sure that's not what elitist means. Just saying.

Nintendo had been turning a loss for three years straight as of last January. Theyre sitting on their fat wad of cash though so shrug! Let's see what this January tells.

Now I'm not a dictionary or nothing, but I'm pretty damn sure that's not what elitist means. Just saying.
"Hmph, plebs... why can't they just adapt and use this.other controller I use?"

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988

To be fair until 2011-12/13, Nintendo has never not been profitable (and they're posting profits now)

The Xbox brand, on the other hand, has never made a profit in its entire existence, but the gaming analysts and press will have you believe it's a great brand with nothing but success under its belt! In fact, Xbox has lost MS ~$3bn.

Good thing Papa Bill has endlessly deep pockets.

It's not that Nintendo is failing to be profitable, it's that with the right strategy they have the capability to piss all over the competition and they usually fail.

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm amazed people paid those ******** prices. Seriously it's not like it's a console leading up to Christmas (which was the case with Wii in 06), it's a bucket of bolts peripheral that was basically guaranteed to have 3rd party alternatives come out, so even if official production ceased we still wouldn't be dead in the water.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Nintendo had been turning a loss for three years straight as of last January. Theyre sitting on their fat wad of cash though so shrug! Let's see what this January tells.

"Hmph, plebs... why can't they just adapt and use this.other controller I use?"
Even though that not what I said. And someone tell me what the **** a pleb is. Did you just make a pun?

Miseribacy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Miseribacy
Even though that not what I said. And someone tell me what the **** a pleb is. Did you just make a pun?
He's not saying you said that. He's saying that that's what you come off sounding like on the way it was presented.

I paraphrased so you might see why your comment comes off as elitist. Of course that's not what you said. What would be the point in repeating that to you?

To be fair until 2011-12/13, Nintendo has never not been profitable (and they're posting profits now)

The Xbox brand, on the other hand, has never made a profit in its entire existence, but the gaming analysts and press will have you believe it's a great brand with nothing but success under its belt! In fact, Xbox has lost MS ~$3bn.

Good thing Papa Bill has endlessly deep pockets.

It's not that Nintendo is failing to be profitable, it's that with the right strategy they have the capability to piss all over the competition and they usually fail.
I know the competition isn't exactly making money hand over fist, but it's the same thing. Its okay if little Wii U drops his money since Papa Iwata is gonna give him his daily allowance anyway

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I know the competition isn't exactly making money hand over fist, but it's the same thing. Its okay if little Wii U drops his money since Papa Iwata is gonna give him his daily allowance anyway
Yes but unlike other companies, they can't afford to lose BILLIONS of dollars over 13 years and still manage to stay afloat. Nintendo makes profits every year and is always called a failure lol, while other console brands are generally just financial black holes with endless praise heaped on them from a business standpoint.

You're also forgetting that Iwata cannot, in fact, bail them out forever because unlike MS, Nintendo is only in the games business. MS makes its money doing its MS stuff. Big difference.

But yeah I'm surprised this has turned the other way with me actually speaking in Nintendo's favour, but it actually adheres to my point that with the right strategy the amount of money they could make is absurd.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Appreciated.
He's not saying you said that. He's saying that that's what you come off sounding like on the way it was presented.
Except I never once said that people should immediately drop the controller they're using and use the one I like. If that's what that sounded like to him then I think he might need to re read the comment. I wouldn't care if people built shrines for the GC controller, I just wouldn't see the point.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
I am from Hong Kong and I had no idea at all that Mayflash is a Hong Kong company...?

Yes but unlike other companies, they can't afford to lose BILLIONS of dollars over 13 years and still manage to stay afloat. Nintendo makes profits every year and is always called a failure lol, while other console brands are generally just financial black holes with endless praise heaped on them from a business standpoint.

You're also forgetting that Iwata cannot, in fact, bail them out forever because unlike MS, Nintendo is only in the games business. MS makes its money doing its MS stuff. Big difference.

But yeah I'm surprised this has turned the other way with me actually speaking in Nintendo's favour, but it actually adheres to my point that with the right strategy the amount of money they could make is absurd.
They cant afford to lose billions of dollars, but they can afford to lose $250 million a year and still survive for 38 years

Its like inheriting a large sum of money and touting that as your own success. Im not doubting Nintendos ability to absolutely **** on the competition. They COULD do it, they have the resources, the creative personelle, and the dev teams to do it, but somehow they just seem to be UNABLE to. They **** up at every opportunity that could become a roaring success for one reason or another.

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
U

is it just me or does the classic controller and classic controller pro have SUPER sensitive joysticks. Like, seriously, I tilt it sligpgjtly in a direction, and my character sprints. Its very annoying as it makes it near impossible to do tilts.
I think it's the newness of the controllers. My Classic Controller Pro doesn't do that anymore.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
They cant afford to lose billions of dollars, but they can afford to lose $250 million a year and still survive for 38 years

Its like inheriting a large sum of money and touting that as your own success.
No it isn't, because they actually made that money in gaming over all these years. Xbox's 13 year existence has been nothing but pure losses. That's a stark contrast that I'm still amazed you can't compute.

And yes they can also afford to make some losses, but hey guess what, until a short recent period, they don't and never really have, because making losses isn't what businesses are supposed to do.

Im not doubting Nintendos ability to absolutely **** on the competition. They COULD do it, they have the resources, the creative personelle, and the dev teams to do it, but somehow they just seem to be UNABLE to. They **** up at every opportunity that could become a roaring success for one reason or another.
Well yeah that's what I've been saying, but to say they have no business acumen is dumb. They just lack the total package and have for a good while.

Last edited:

MegaMango

Smash Cadet
[quote="MarioMeteor, post: 18324113, member: 278803
Why is that exactly?[/quote]

From my understanding, wireless remotes have a very minute input lag while sending it's signal to the receptor. As you may know, any lag of any kind is hindering in competitive play.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
[quote="MarioMeteor, post: 18324113, member: 278803
Why is that exactly?
From my understanding, wireless remotes have a very minute input lag while sending it's signal to the receptor. As you may know, any lag of any kind is hindering in competitive play.[/quote]
It must be extremely minor, cause I've never noticed a difference. Or at least, not enough to hinder me.

blightning

Smash Rookie
Here you go. And I still wouldn't mind getting more.
View attachment 34830
That is an awesome set of controllers you've got there. I have a few myself, but nothing close to that. Currently using a Wii U Pro controller for Smash.. but now I'm tempted to get an official adapter when I can find one for a reasonable price. If nothing else, it makes multiplayer more available when guests are around.

MegaMango

Smash Cadet
From my understanding, wireless remotes have a very minute input lag while sending it's signal to the receptor. As you may know, any lag of any kind is hindering in competitive play.
It must be extremely minor, cause I've never noticed a difference. Or at least, not enough to hinder me.
Same here, but I go by what my buddies have told me. They're Melee addicts that have really trained me well, so I usually go buy what they say. I've heard others say the same thing, but I don't know if it's entirely true.

EDIT: I remember they literally scolded me when I brought my Wavebird controller over to their house to play PM lol

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
From my understanding, wireless remotes have a very minute input lag while sending it's signal to the receptor. As you may know, any lag of any kind is hindering in competitive play
It's not just the latency that's the issue, 1-2 frame lag may feel unnoticeable in Smash 4 to a lot of players, but wireless controllers tend to suffer from interference issues at large events, which, of course, makes them unusable.

Last edited:

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
I'm still unsure on whether or not to get this... I want to get it, but I tend to be very wary of third-party accessories.

Codster

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5343-8930-0055
That is an awesome set of controllers you've got there. I have a few myself, but nothing close to that. Currently using a Wii U Pro controller for Smash.. but now I'm tempted to get an official adapter when I can find one for a reasonable price. If nothing else, it makes multiplayer more available when guests are around.
Thank you. Been collecting them for many years. The orange one I actually used in a Melee tournament at a GameStop (I think it was a GameStop) around 2003/2004. They let me buy the controller after the tournament was over. I have adapted to using the GamePad for quite a while. But like you said, since I have so many Gamecube controllers already, it only makes sense to get an adapter for when guests stop by.

JesucristoCROW

Smash Rookie
NNID
jesucristocr0w
I will totally buy this, i already own 8 GC Controllers and im not going to pay 40$ for 1 Pro Controller when i can get 2 of these Adapters for the same price and play with 7 friends :D

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Oh my god, the people who paid scalper prices for the official one are going to be so salty
What about the people (like me) that literally the day before these were announced bought the 2-controller Mayflash GC-to-PC Adapter? I personally feel pretty stupid, even though I can still buy either of the Wii U adapters.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
By the way, the adapters were just bumped up in price by $2, not even a few minutes ago. Not that much of a difference but felt it was something to not.

EDIT: YOOOOOOO PROS OF HAVING A ****ED UP SLEEP SCHEDULE

So 10 more were just added to the Ebay listing, I got the first one, no guarantee they'll be around in an hour or so

Last edited:

Small Waves

Smash Cadet
Not going to buy until I hear about their build quality and how it compares to Nintendo's adapter. Even if they do run out now they'll more likely than not get a new shipment in before Nintendo does hurrdurr

Last edited:

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Not going to buy until I hear about their build quality and how it compares to Nintendo's adapter. Even if they do run out now they'll more likely than not get a new shipment in before Nintendo does hurrdurr
I literally just posted about how they got a new shipment in and it's on sale now.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
Just ordered one and glad I didn't pay 80+ for it. I already use the mayflash GC to PC adapter for some games and it's solid.

Zad

Smash Apprentice
Mayflash products are awesome. I already have a GameCube controller adapter but I'll be picking up a Mayflash for 8 player Smash and for my PC.

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, if this works the same, it might be better. Does anyone know if it works with other games that support the pro controller? If so, it might be better, unless the official one will add more game support.

MP8

Smash Journeyman
Hong Kong? Probably going to stop working after a couple weeks of use. That's what happened to my bootleg gamecube controller I bought for $7 from Hong Kong a few years ago. Lol.

Samuch

Smash Cadet
Please also remember when shopping that this is a third party accessory and not an official Nintendo product. There is no way to guarantee the quality of the product so make sure to do some research on this before purchasing.
This is a good tip, but you should not post it to the community at all unless you've tested it. You have a lot of pull in the smash community. You shouldn't post crap products(no idea if this is actually a crap product or not), because people trust you and assume that if you are posting this than it probably is good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom