• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mayflash 4 Gamecube Adapter Available

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
With the Nintendo Gamecube Adapter currently going for $80.00 on Amazon, many folks are having a hard time trying to find one at a reasonable price (if at all). There looks to be some hope on the horizon, as Mayflash has released a 4-port Gamecube Controller Adapter for the Wii U that also works on the PC having support for the emulator Dolphin.

Here it is in all its glory...

On the Mayflash Website the listing with the product includes a link to go purchase it on ebay. Oddly enough there were only 37 available in stock at this link and all quickly sold out at their low price. However there is still good news as the adapter is still available! llcj20 on /r/smashbros contacted Mayflash and they pointed him to a website where they are still available for sale! You can purchase them for $19.90 which includes free shipping to the United States from Hong Kong at Ali Express.

A fair warning, purchases from Hong Kong can take a while to ship. The website says "15-26 days (ships out within 5 business days)". On top of this, Chinese New Year is approaching very soon and in Hong Kong most businesses close down at least a week during celebrations which could make shipping times increase if orders aren't made very soon. Most businesses in mainland China and Hong Kong will be closed for business starting February 9th. This years holiday will be observed through February 15th in mainland China, and February 13th in Hong Kong, with business resuming their normal operations on February 18th.

2015 Is The Year Of The Sheep!
Please also remember when shopping that this is a third party accessory and not an official Nintendo product. There is no way to guarantee the quality of the product so make sure to do some research on this before purchasing. Also make sure to study the return policy for Ali Express so that if you order you can be sure to send it back if it doesn't turn out to be as good as expected. Hopefully this can turn out to be a sturdy well working product to put some relief on the Gamecube adapter shortage!

SmashCapps personally uses a Wii U Pro Controller, but totally understands why people want to use their Gamecube controller. Come and share your preferred controller for Smash by following him on Twitter and starting a conversation!

JDavisR (NIX)

Smash Lord
NNID
Robertson1
3DS FC
2337-4618-3776
Already have an adapter but glad there's an affordable way to get an adapter for anyone who doesn't have one. Nintendo needs to get a move on or soon no one will want to buy them when they finally get released again lol

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
Glad to see I can finally hook up my GCC to my computer. Going to have fun figuring out how I can use it.

Duzzzyy

Sing me your lullaby~
NNID
Duzzzyy
While this is nice and all, I'd rather wait the new batch of official adapters out if I didn't have an adapter already. They might be out by the time the shipping arrives and Nintendo quality is usually worth waiting for, but then again maybe these are high quality too, or Nintendo takes forever with their own adapters.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I own both the Official Nintendo Adapter, and two copies of the old Mayflash Adapter for PC.

If it means anything, my experience with using the older Mayflash Adapters on my PC has been just as good as using the Official Nintendo Adapter for Smash 4 (that is to say, pretty much near flawless).

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
While it looks like a feasible option for those willing to make the commitment(60 day shipping O_O), I think I'd personally keep using my Classic Controller.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
This is fantastic news! But... Couldn't they have at least made the shell a bit nicer? Sure, I appreciate utilitarian options, but this was their chance to provide an attractive alternative to a highly sought after product.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else feel in this game that there's like a halfsecond-one second delay tacked on to the end of most moves in the game? Like, you make the approach, and whiffing it or being blocked leaves you open for a noticeable amount of time? I see this a lot and figured it had to do with using a wireless controller. Do people who play with the Gamecube controllers experience this? Or what is intentionally put in?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Does anyone else feel in this game that there's like a halfsecond-one second delay tacked on to the end of most moves in the game? Like, you make the approach, and whiffing it or being blocked leaves you open for a noticeable amount of time? I see this a lot and figured it had to do with using a wireless controller. Do people who play with the Gamecube controllers experience this? Or what is intentionally put in?
I don't notice it.

Some moves, like Captain Falcon's knee, have huge landing lag or end lag, though. So that might be it.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I think I'll wait until either someone says this adapter works just like the official one or until Nintendo releases a new batch of their own adapters.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Well if Nintendo isn't going to do the job and leave thier adapter at $100, might as well have other companies make more prefect functioning ones at a much less dumb price. Right guys?

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
I hope Nintendo makes more of the adapters, but if they don't then I'll gladly buy these.

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
It's hard to say, you would think that with it being wired it would be faster, but who knows what kind of input lag comes off these kind of adapters. Also since the Brawl engine had delay introduced intentionally (Frame 1 ignores any extra inputs etc), it's really difficult to say with certainty.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I can't believe people would go to such lengths to get one controller. Just shows how people can't adapt to change, I guess.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
This is good news for Wii U players that i know of. I'm considering this as well. I would love to play on Dolphin...once i get a good computer..one step at a time i guess haha

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I can't believe people would go to such lengths to get one controller. Just shows how people can't adapt to change, I guess.
You'd see less people wanting to use GameCube controllers if the Wii U Pro Controller came in a wired version.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Or maybe it's called preference?
I'm always surprised at how fast people can reply here. But anyway, there's a difference between preferring something and going out of your way to get a bootleg version of it. I preferred Chocolate Toaster Strudels for breakfast but they stopped making them, so I moved on. I didn't look online to see if some company in Taipai was making bootleg strudels.
You'd see less people wanting to use GameCube controllers if the Wii U Pro Controller came in a wired version.
Why is that exactly?

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
With all these shortages and high prices popping in the news, I'm so glad I pre-ordered mines from the get-go.

Silic0n

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silic0n
GC controller users can adapt to a new controller, but why bother learning a new controller when there is an official way to use the one that you love? I don't have an adapter yet, and until Nintendo restocks the official adapters, I'll just be using my pro controller.

Last edited:
...you mean ending lag?

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
I'm always surprised at how fast people can reply here. But anyway, there's a difference between preferring something and going out of your way to get a bootleg version of it. I preferred Chocolate Toaster Strudels for breakfast but they stopped making them, so I moved on. I didn't look online to see if some company in Taipai was making bootleg strudels.
Because I unknowingly watch this thread and it popped up. :p

It varies with people. For me, considering I don't trust Nintendo in making another batch of adapters, and making the prices $80, I'd rather look for another alternative that's more affordable.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Because I unknowingly watch this thread and it popped up. :p

It varies with people. For me, considering I don't trust Nintendo in making another batch of adapters, and making the prices $80, I'd rather look for another alternative that's more affordable.
I wonder if Nintendo's gonna shut em down. They probably don't like this at all. It's a genius strategy, really. They know how desperate people are to use GameCube controllers, so they make a few and overprice em cause they know people will bite, then they stop making them for a while to make people even more desperate. They were probably waiting for all the current adapters to stop circulating around so all the people who were too late and left without them would be forced to buy Nintendo's $80 adapters when they restocked. Mayflash probably said "**** you" to their plans. At least, I'm assuming that's what their plan was. I wouldn't put it past Nintendo.

Mechageo

Smash Ace

Why is that exactly?
It's because people like to practice with the controller that they're going to have to use in a Tournament. They want to become their best with the instrument they will be using in competition.

The hassle of syncing Wii Remotes compounds with the possibility of losing inputs entered during a performance (Yes, that's the right word for it) due to wireless interference from other devices is enough to convince people that they need to practice with the GameCube controller.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I already have the officially made adapter on its way in the mail. Wish I knew this Mayflash existed, or else I wouldn't have spent the $90+ (price includes rushed shipping) on Amazon. Oh well.

Last edited:

Gator

Smash Cadet
of course this would pop up now, just 2 days after I ordered the bundle with the adaptor and 2 controllers online XD. just my luck! lol

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It's because people like to practice with the controller that they're going to have to use in a Tournament. They want to become their best with the instrument they will be using in competition.

The hassle of syncing Wii Remotes compounds with the possibility of losing inputs entered during a performance (Yes, that's the right word for it) due to wireless interference from other devices is enough to convince people that they need to practice with the GameCube controller.
I've been using a Classic Pro since Brawl and I've never dropped any inputs.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I've been using a Classic Pro since Brawl and I've never dropped any inputs.
That's great. That's the one I used for Brawl, too. The reason people want the GameCube controller is the threat of inputs being dropped, not that they actually get dropped with any regularity.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789

that actually wont happen once its connected to a wiiu the problem is the slow down it would cause if everybody walked in trying to connect to wiius at the same time.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
End-lag is in no way affected by input lag, unless of course you're waiting until the end of the animation before you input another attack.

It has everything to do with design and risk:reward balancing.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
That's great. That's the one I used for Brawl, too. The reason people want the GameCube controller is the threat of inputs being dropped, not that they actually get dropped with any regularity.
Huh. Interesting. Doesn't seem like it's worth $20, but whatever, I won't be buying it.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Huh. Interesting. Doesn't seem like it's worth $20, but whatever, I won't be buying it.
It turns out I was wrong, someone with more experience than me said that it was actually the hassle of connecting tons of Wii Remotes at once, though I have read reports of issues at large tournaments. People had to put their remotes in boxes lined with foil (And set them near the Wii) to stop the interference.

Top Bottom