• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Re-Discussion Thread - Character #2: Marth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman

Unless you're Anther. Then you can just run in there and do whatever the hell you want. In fact, Anther could probably just run in and jump in place right in front of the marth's face, not attacking. And still win...
He did this to me last week
It worked

Marth is a ***** of a matchup, the main thing you need to do is get him in the air and keep those U-airs rolling, most marths wont risk a D-air because its really laggy, so its an easy way to rack up damage.
Thunderjolts can be swatted away but theyre still useful all around, theyre really annoying.
Marth no good options off of the ledge, if he repeatedly goes down and dolphin slashes to refresh the invulnerablily, a thunderjolt can interrupt it. Even though marth is good at edgeguarding, he cant do much to stop pika from coming back on the stage.

Beware of using thunder as an edgeguard move if marth is next to you because dolphin slash can stage spike (and if i can stage spike anther i can stage spike you too =P ) but if marth is above you, which he usually will be, its a good idea.
Dont skull bash into him as a mindgame or something while going for the edge, cause he'll counter it and you'll end up right back where you were, just 30% or so higher

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Well, I'm no expert, but Pikachu's grab game seems to be the key in this matchup. At really low %, F-throw to upsmash racks up some nice damage, and forces Marth into the air. Or, D-throw to N-air forces Marth away to reset the position. At higher %, d-throw and U-throw both put Marth into the air for some nice juggling. So, each grab is a potential 20% if followed up right.

As far as edgeguarding, using arials to knock the marth away is a bad idea (stagespikes, anyone?), but thunder is as good as ever.

By the way, there wouldn't happen to be a video of that Anther tactic, would there?

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Well, I'm no expert, but Pikachu's grab game seems to be the key in this matchup. At really low %, F-throw to upsmash racks up some nice damage, and forces Marth into the air. Or, D-throw to N-air forces Marth away to reset the position. At higher %, d-throw and U-throw both put Marth into the air for some nice juggling. So, each grab is a potential 20% if followed up right.

As far as edgeguarding, using arials to knock the marth away is a bad idea (stagespikes, anyone?), but thunder is as good as ever.

By the way, there wouldn't happen to be a video of that Anther tactic, would there?
Oh... when we mean anther tactic, we just mean the general way of anther doing what he does and being just plain good. You could probably see all of his vids in marth or other matchups and you'll get a general idea that anther just does pretty much ANYTHING and it'll work for some reason most of the time (cuz he's that good?).

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
you'll get a general idea that anther just does pretty much ANYTHING and it'll work for some reason most of the time (cuz he's that good?).
He's good at reading his opponents. There's no magic in it, lol, but yes, he's that good.

Inviting the Marths, so hopefully they'll give us a bit of their perspective on the matchup.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Original discussion placed it at 65:35, Marth's advantage.

This ratio being set because of:
Great priority that outsts camping (fair, jab, etc) is trouble for QAC (Transcended priority out of a dash: dancing blade) and can hinder recovery and edge guarding (counter/dolphin slash)

High level play doesn't generally allow Marth to edge guard Pika that well; smart use of side b and up b, coupled with Pika's good momentum cancelling abilities (seriously wtfs with this thing living forever)... But Marth can pressure Pika that's been hit off stage on the stage quite well (similar to how we'd handle Falco)

Chaingrab isn't a worry for Marth, yet Marth does get a quarter or so of the stock by getting a grab on Pika at near 0%. However like Falco, Pikas got the throw into smash + read follow up that's hard for Marth to get around.

I'm not sure whether this match up has been played numerous times by the best Marths in the United States yet... Anther beat neo at apex; but they haven't fought since?

Over all:
Marth out ranges, out prioritises, has a better damage racking. Killing I'm open to argument. Both are light characters... Pikachus run away game is hard for Marth (and just about everyone) to get around, but he does better than most. If Pika wasn't able to just run it would definitely be 65:35 or worse :\
Pikachu's approach options are... limited.

60:40 Marth's advantage will probably be the conclusion here though...

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
At the moment, this thread is going nowhere, so I'm locking it. I'd trash it, but there's a little bit of useful info in here, so I'll keep it for posterity.

I'm revising the original MU thread anyway, so we don't really need this anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom