• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Re-Discussion: Marth

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I'm confused..... why would you back up and thunder instead of running away/going for the ledge if you need your shield to refill?

I doubt any Marth is going to run into the thunder...... they'll just wait for it to finish & punish the lag.

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
I think lucy!JOE! means back up and thunder so you don't get hit by it and there's a bit of a wall in between the two of you. It doesn't work if the marth knows he can just sheild the thunder then walk through it and hit you while you're in horrendous lag.

Hoe4u

Smash Cadet
the marth 'd-throw chain grab' isn't a chain grab, it can be spot dodged from any percentage, which is why it's practically useless.
However here are the combinations a marth would use:
1. f-throw, f-throw, d-throw, fsmash (tipper)
2. f-throw, f-throw, f-throw, fsmash (this won't tip upon start up, you have to time right for the tip)

but what the marths might not know is No.1 is unless and you WILL spot dodge the fsmash assuming your a good pika.
with No.2 if the marth is really good they 'WILL' get the whole of that combination without any knockback, HOWEVER! pikachu is garrentied to give marth recoil on every release of the fthrow with nair providing marth tries to regrab, ruffly about 26% total when pika ends up with that 33% - 36% when i tested it.

neji32

Smash Lord
Marth's Fair is his best move against pika imo(or just his best move. Theres not much we can do but fotce him to approach with Tjolts. Even then his range and priority owns ours. So to win we pretty much HAVE to be able to predict him and use our speed to punish.Baiting Up B is always good too. I as well live near xisin and its a pain to play him with pika, if you happen to 2nd a marth counter id use it. Or play like anther and throw out attacks with wide lense on so you never miss

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
with No.2 if the marth is really good they 'WILL' get the whole of that combination without any knockback, HOWEVER! pikachu is garrentied to give marth recoil on every release of the fthrow with nair providing marth tries to regrab, ruffly about 26% total when pika ends up with that 33% - 36% when i tested it.
I'm confused about this part. Are you basically saying that the second combo is escapable with nair between fthrows?

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
I'm confused about this part. Are you basically saying that the second combo is escapable with nair between fthrows?
I think he's saying you are able to nair Marth on each fthrow->regrab ("the whole of that combination without any knockback"), but grab armor will protect Mr. Tiara. I suspect "recoil" is being used similar to the pokemon sense where a move does damage to both the opposing pokemon and yours (the grab armored nair being the "recoil").

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
the marth 'd-throw chain grab' isn't a chain grab, it can be spot dodged from any percentage, which is why it's practically useless.
However here are the combinations a marth would use:
1. f-throw, f-throw, d-throw, fsmash (tipper)
2. f-throw, f-throw, f-throw, fsmash (this won't tip upon start up, you have to time right for the tip)

but what the marths might not know is No.1 is unless and you WILL spot dodge the fsmash assuming your a good pika.
The first one is guaranteed. You can't spot dodge the fsmash. As for the second one, you can avoid the fsmash all together with some di. So the first one is what Marths should be using. And one more thing, you can't nair between the fthrows. =/

Hoe4u

Smash Cadet
The first one is guaranteed. You can't spot dodge the fsmash. As for the second one, you can avoid the fsmash all together with some di. So the first one is what Marths should be using. And one more thing, you can't nair between the fthrows. =/
oh sorry for not making it clear kaylo
and the first 1 isnt guaranteed. everytime marth dthrows you, you have to have accurate timing but you WILL spot dodge the fsmash coming.

the second 1 if you notice try air dodging, you'll see pika go into the air dodging position but you can still be re-grabbed, so i though why don't i try and use his fastest move.
when Ixis messed up the chaingrab pikachu knocked back marth with nair, when he done it right i gave marth the damage of nair but grab armour got me re-grabbed. if it doesnt work for you your simply not timing it right. if it helps spam that A button like crazy and you WILL notice i'm not wrong here.
and 1 more thing, after the 3rd f-throw, you are garrentied to get fsmashed (maybe not tipped), but if marth tries a 4th f-throw, that when you can get away unpunished by a fsmash

clearly there are doubts so i'm gonna try and meet up with Ixis in the next 2 or 3 days to record and upload some footage proving it kay.

[Edit]: oh and please mind my sentence structures, i'm dyslexic so i struggle to form sentences properly, but im working on it!

Hoe4u

Smash Cadet
on that same day we actually tested it at least for an hour over and over just to make sure we wernt making a mistake. and only when he grabbed too slowly is when pika nair knocked back marth.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I'm right with everything I said Hoe4u, trust me. Why would you try to spot dodge the fsmash anyways when shielding is faster?

Top Bottom