• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Discussion- Game and Watch

Cha0tic NiGhTmArE

Smash Journeyman
Lakeway(at least 30 minuites from anywhere), TX
Game and Watch

We as a Pit boards don't really have a ratio or a universal opinion on this matchup. Discuss!
Will update front page accordingly​

Pros
  • Pit Kills at lower percent
  • Predictable Smashes

Cons
  • The Bucket
  • G&W priority
  • Kills Pit at low percentage
  • Can't ledge guard him
  • Can't glide back to the stage

Moves to Watch Out For
  • Bair
  • Up-B(If gliding back to stage which you shouldn't be)
  • Nair
  • Bucket(if full) kills Pit at 70% +

Bans/Counterpicks
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=206886

Matchup Info.

This matchup is super frustrating. He can't be camped well, he has more kill power, can't be chased of the edge, and had more priority. so what do we do with our winged friend to combat the 2D monster?

In the words of UTD Zac - "Walk Away!" it's a great mind game against G&W. His kill moves are predictable along with the bair and the smashes kill you and the bair racks damage and you can't get through so why run into it? Stay patient and and make him come to you. Although he can absorb arrows, it doesn't mean you can't out smart him with them, And even if he gets a full bucket, then you can go crazy with arrows because now you have the move to look out for that he plans to kill you with, and he can't bucket break.

When Zac says walk away he truly means walk. Don't run, walk. If you roll you can't capitalize and if you run its harder to stop and space your self, and it drives some G&W's crazy.

Wing lunging is also effective in this matchup since G&W is so aggressive in this matchup.
(For those who don't know wing lunging is jump<WoI<Fair or Bair) it messes with his timing and good when you need to be aggressive.

Do not Chase G&W watch off the edge. He will beat you every time. Our only option for G&W when off the stage is when he is returning, stay grounded with your back turned. if He misses the sweetspot the edge with the up-b, BAIR HIS ***!

This is a 65/35 G&W easily.. Stay patient and use his aggressiveness against him.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
for real

6-4 GnW

i dont play brawl anymore but i remember this matchup i used to dread it and fear it but by the time switched to melee it became one of my favorite matchups (ironic cuz im playing brawl a bit now and now i play GnW lol)

anyways onto the matchup

you may find that you have to approach you can shoot arrows but GnW has the bucket and the tools to cancel them out so you will have to take the offfensive against GnW's dreaded priority, range, and power

nair or fair are your best bets for approaches but space it and approach slowly you DO NOT want to get in GnW's face right away you need to ease yourself into a safe position

his kill moves are basically
all smashes
the credit card (fair)

while they all take a bit to come out fsmash and the credit card have lasting hitboxes that can still get some damage on you (allbeit not as lethal)

and his priority here the toughest part
if i remember correctly bair, dtilt, nair, and dair all have enough range, priority, or both to cut right through pit in these situations pits fair is your best friend retreating fairs put GnW in a bad situation where he cant punish at all under any circumstance

thats all i can think of i dunno how much the metagame of brawl has changed because i play more melee now and are just getting back into brawl for teams mainly but this is what i remember of the matchup

Afropony

Smash Lord
SDI out of turtle (Bair) and if you're quick enough you should be able to hit them with one of your own aerials.
If they bucket 3 arrows then spam as many arrows as you can get in. Usually if you're on a high percent and not on your last stock then the G&W won't want to use the bucket on you. This means you can get them up to high percents with arrows and then kill them very early because they can't Bucket break when their bucket is full.
If yout get a grab at 0% then you can Fair> stutterstep Fsmash but that's about it.
Jab is really helpful in this matchup ;)
be ready to tech their Dthrow after they've grabbed you.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The good G&Ws will use more F-air and U-air than B-air, and it's still very tough for Pit to deal with. G&W also has more destructive juggles to be wary of, and you don't want to be recovering low against him under any circumstances unless you can do an understage recovery. His Jab cancel and D-tilt are solid moves too.

Otherwise not much else to be said, I think you guys know the matchup well enough.

cp2

Smash Rookie
It's a difficult matchup, used to camp as we are...

moving a lot is important, if he feels ok spacing he'll win so don't let him doing that

And if you're about to lose camp, at 100% in your last life, bucket is not important

He has got good piority and avoid camping and edgeguarding, pit's specialities, son it's very difficult

40-60 is good I think

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
I got a bit lazy and side tracked doing the "pit frame data punishment". I noticed that most of game and watch moves can't be punished at all. But most of pit moves can punish him before he can do an attack.

I'm thinking being defensive isn't the best strategy against him.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sounds like there's too much theory in these match up threads and not enough experience.

Take it from someone who plays against UTDZac and teams with a G&W.

The way everyone talks about watch to do/watch out for, doesn't take into account how dynamic spacing is in Brawl.

I do recommend walking around, but that's what I recommend doing in most match ups anyway.

Basically G&W's ground smashes are powerful but comparatively slow. Keep up pressure with tilts, jabs, and aerials and you should force him to use airs. That's the second half of the game. Playing on a stage with platforms is you're best environment. Even G&W's up B and dropping dairs/nairs are less effective around platforms. The more you take to the air and dance around platforms, the more G&W has to strain to get you.

Use arrows. I know I have a lot of experience avoiding and countering a G&W with a bucket because of my teams training, but it's worth practicing for. Use arrows to put G&W into positions where you can kill or get a lot of damage off. The bucket when filled takes 50 frames to drop? This is especially dangerous off the edge for G&W. The more you use arrows, if you're good at looping them, you can feign filling his bucket and then set up tight matrixes with arrow loops.

Gliding back to the stage is a good idea, but you have to be ready to adjust/mix up your approach. Off guarding G&W is good too. You have to keep it simple and be ready to grab the edge and use it to pressure G&W back on the stage.

I'll get some vid of me vs UTDZac and Chucky next time.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer

SilentPinoy

Smash Cadet
I can't say I dislike this matchup, although it reminds me of the Mario matchup(which I despise)

I have no good experiences Gl-airing into a G&W so of course purely reserved for recovery.

Spot dodging and close combat with G&W is easily punished by his smashes, but it is possible to do, albeit just a tad harder as his frame movement is sketchy to read at times (for me at least).

If anything getting G&W damaged isn't too hard, killing him, especially ones that bucket brake DI aren't fun.

Take him into the air if possible(Jab-Grab, Grab, Dtilt) and depending on how high you make him pursue, if he's high enough to bring out the key throw an arrow, if not get a little aside from him, enough for an Uair. Dtilt has enough range and speed to not get punished mostly of the time.

A shorthopping Bair G&W can be shield grabbed after 3rd hit of the turtle(I personally have not tried sooner, but defense is the key to this match)

If you throw lots of arrows he will have his hand on the bucket with anticipation, use it to your advantage of course to have him distracted at the distance, or if you can throw arrow loops to still hit him all the frame time using the bucket. Don't fear the bucket, use it to distract him so you have a safe approach with a dash attack or other move.

I don't risk fighting G&W from above, his Uair controls our down descent to his liking, his Upsmash isn't pleasant, they bring out the fish with Nair, and to my surprise some come and apporach with Up B which can kill.

I can't see trying to kill him in the air if he's not on a platform. On BF or other platforms rising Bair or Uair isn't as punishable, whereas coming from above with KO moves, not so much. I think it's just me playing over the same people that they DI out of Fsmash so often leaving me to get the off hand air kill or leaving me to gimp off stage most of the time.

Overall this match is a test of patience.

Top Bottom