• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match Up Question: Sonic vs Wolf (Who has the advantage?)

undyinglight

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I was wondering about the match up of Sonic vs. Wolf. I myself am a Marth/Ganon main so I don't have much experience or knowledge concerning this match up, but my friend Minimullen who mains Sonic wanted me to ask. He thinks that Wolf counters Sonic (If not considered a counter he still believes it to be a difficult match up), however our good friend Undieingchaos (Wolf main) believes the match up to be about equal. Minimullen thinks that Wolf counters Sonic because he usually loses to Undieingchaos when he uses Sonic. However he usually comes out on top when he switches to his secondary Pikachu. It should be noted that they usually play on Final D, and that Undieingchaos is a very campy wolf player so I believe that this throws the match in favor of Undieingchaos. So the question is who has the advantage in this match and how much of an advantage does that character have. Again I have very little knowledge/experience in this matchup so I am asking does Wolf counter Sonic, does Wolf have a strong advantage over Sonic, do they draw even 5-5, does Sonic have the advantage, or at the opposite end of the spectrum does Sonic counter Wolf? Thank you for your help and insight Sonic players.

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
Wolf bascially has the advantage over Sonic; but with his horrible recovery, you can easily try to gimp him.

batboy267

Smash Rookie
I think over all wolf counter sonic because of the folowing reasons: wolf gun can stop all of his spin dashes, wolf's forward smash also stops them, wolf's has an easyer time finshing off people than sonic does, sonic has no projectiles while wolf does so it can be harder for soinc to approach wolf.

overall a sonic player has to work harder to win then a wolf player does.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I like to think of it as a Captain Falcon versus Marth match from Melee. With the right set up the can **** each other. But one of them (wolf) has the most advantage situation with which to ****.

RenegadeRaven

Smash Ace
I think over all wolf counter sonic because of the folowing reasons: wolf gun can stop all of his spin dashes, wolf's forward smash also stops them, wolf's has an easyer time finshing off people than sonic does, sonic has no projectiles while wolf does so it can be harder for soinc to approach wolf.

overall a sonic player has to work harder to win then a wolf player does.
Wolf also has faster aerials which is dumb -_- and his AAA combo beats Sonics, for some reason when Sonic does his, Wolf recovers immediately, stopping Sonic before he can get in his third hit.

Skiba D

Smash Rookie
Midfield: Wolf>Sonic
Off the edge: Sonic>Wolf

Yeah, Wolf has alot goin for him vs. Sonic. I mean hell, his blaster/fsmash/dsmash murders sonic's spin dash approach. Not to mention that his aerial DO outshine Sonic's. But....

Wolf can't edgegaurd Sonic well, nor can he take on Sonic very well when he's trying to recover. Also, Sonic can rack up damage quicker on Wolf because of his size. Wolf has a bad bite, but Sonic can bite just as hard.

Anyway, I consider this match-up 5/5.

Browny

Smash Hater
depends how you play. if i play ultra campy wolf and do nothing but fsmash and blaster, he has an advantage. but if a wolf user ever has the decency to put up a real fight its kind of even. once wolf is off the stage he generally wont come back :/

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
RULE OF THUMB: Everyone has the advantage over sonic.
lol

it sure as hell seems like that.

But Sonic has ways of overcoming this near-fact.

Tenki

Smash Hero
now updated with info lol [5/17]

Approach Wolf with double jump> spring-bomb (err.. drop a spring toward his head) > D-air with intent to autocancel, or just plain Spring> D-air (your choice on trying to autocancel or not), maybe?

I don't have access to Smash much over the weekdays, but does Sonic's forward-B initial jump forward cancel Wolf's blaster like it does to most projectiles?

edit:
Yes, Sonic can go through Wolf's blaster, but only through invincibility frames that you have as soon as you release the charge of side-B. After those few frames, you cannot outprioritize the shot.

It's really hard to do offline, and basically impossible online. Shielding is better :[

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I don't like reviving dead topics. Hell, it's one of the last things I'd do on a forum, but I wanted to add something after an experience today:

I played a good friend of mine, and his main just so happens to be Wolf. His Wolf is amazing, and he has a pretty good knowledge of the way Wolf plays. Although I did win a best of 3 set against his Wolf with Sonic, but this was possibly the most frustrating set of matches I've had.

The attacks I initially had problems with were Wolf's Dsmash, bair, and shine. His f-smash can easily be batted away by fast falled bairs, or ftilts (which work wonders on fsmashing Wolf players from my experiences). His lasers can be countered with dashing shields (which are AMAZING. You can shield grab because of the momentum in the dash from the shield forces you toward him a little more).

Bairs I had a hard time with because of how fast and how easy they are to get hit by. From what I was doing, the only things that seemed to work were uptilt and sideB, and in some occasions, a hyphen smash solved the problem. However, it's very easy to be killed by the move.

His dsmash is just too fast, I usually try to get it with a short hopped fair, but if it misses or he shields, I usually just ran away and tried to re-approach.

His shine, was nasty. I really couldn't find a way around it. The only thing that seemed to do anything against it was a ftilt.

However, I will say this about Sonic v. Wolf. It is incredibly easy to get in control if you grab him. Easy to kill, easy to combo, easy to [anything], really. The only thing I couldn't do was upB gimp off the level, since both his recoveries eat through the spring.

Fair did a nice job stopping both recoveries.

Well, that is all I had to contribute.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
He has a fairly big window to **** him after his Fsmash/Dsmash.

Spotdodge>Wolf.

Then again I've only played a n00by wolf using this strategy but it was amazingly effective. I had him saying my Sonic was cheap by the end.

I have made Sonic cheap. Praise me.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
He has a fairly big window to **** him after his Fsmash/Dsmash.

Spotdodge>Wolf.

Then again I've only played a n00by wolf using this strategy but it was amazingly effective. I had him saying my Sonic was cheap by the end.

I have made Sonic cheap. Praise me.
Lol

may sound extreme but

Final Dest.
Edge:
footstool jump>Wolf

the Wolves I play tend to recover alot with side be so they angle themselves to FD so the can spike me.

though I somehow manage to footstool them and I'll spring to put em under FD. I have only been able to do this online.

offline I can only footstool in the spindash combo and bair them to the underside of FD

and yes Grab>Wolf

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This is obviously Wolf's victory. Sonic can hardly get past those insane smash attacks of his.

On the other hand, if Wolf is trying to recover, he may have problems getting past Sonic's aerials and/or smash attacks.

Top Bottom