• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Export #3: Diddy Kong | Creating Summary

Rizk18

Smash Lord
MY MOST HATED MATCH UP!!!

Just had to get that out lol

I believe this match up to be 50/50

(This is all being played out as if the match is being played on FD)

Diddy Kong of course has bananas which are a great advantage but at this stage in brawls meta game its really just looked at as just another tool instead of a broken item.

Diddy has great air attacks and many uses for his specials. The main flaw for him in this match up is he will have a hard time killing a top level fox. D smash and Fair are great options along with his spike, But landing these can be a pain in the butt and the only chance they may have for a KO is when they manage to get fox off stage. At about medium to close range lazers are punishable with nanas which will help keep fox on his toes and from camping too much.

Fox as stated earlier has the option of grabbing bananas with SH fair which can even the grounds or even prevent you from gaining large amounts of damage from nanas. Fox should not be attack a Diddy who has their shield up along with a nana in hand. Boost grabbing is great for this match up because it can help stop diddy from abusing his OOS options and if you whiff your grab it can put you at a good distance from any great punishes. Usmash should be killing diddy at about 95% it is surviable if they have gdlk DI though. Also abuse SHAD this will grab nanas and help you better position yourself. Also use it if you start to get a feeling for the pattern that diddy throw is nana.

Overall 50/50 no glaring advantages to either character both have to work their butt off to get a W.
Every MU for you is 50/50 or Fox's favor. Biased much?
This MU is not even.

crifer

Smash Lord
Actually, there were some nice things I learned from watching YUI a few weeks ago...
Camping too much will get you punished, used platforms, jump A LOT.
If Diddy does a glidetoss nana throw in front of you, you can shield the nana and usmash OOS in order to hit diddy safely! Great kill setup which will also leads Diddy to not glide toss anymore and takes away a lot of setups for him.
Other thing is: throw the nana down, jump over diddy, bair his back. He´s going to be pushed back and trip over the nana which will lead to usmash.
My own style: Fullhop over him, dthrow with cstick, press another time cstick down to catch the nana and land beside him, jc item toss nana at him to usmash, should be a true combo.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
Eh, all the things you just said could work but what happenes when they adapt? Plus, no smart Diddy is going to throw a banana right into your face and risk getting punished, that's just stupid.
It still doesn't save us in this MU. Still isn't even.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Protip: Best way to get up from banana is regular get up, most diddy's expect you to roll or attack so they can read it.

crifer

Smash Lord
Eh, all the things you just said could work but what happenes when they adapt? Plus, no smart Diddy is going to throw a banana right into your face and risk getting punished, that's just stupid.
It still doesn't save us in this MU. Still isn't even.
you didn´t read my post, thanks, I don´t care about you anyway.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Protip: Figure out what kind of Diddy the player is, this works best when dealing with bananas, some diddys are worth battling with their own bananas others are better just to throw off the banana or keep in close quarters to you.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Protip: You can Z-drop items in this case a banana right before speedhugging the ledge. ****** vertical attempts at recovery. You are covering options and all you have to react to horizontal or high fly recoveries.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
Since when does Fox have all these even matchups?? And why does it say 60-40? How outdated is this? Lets get some pro Fox and Diddy opinions. This isn't even.

XxAlphaxXGhaxCrew

Smash Apprentice
I would have to agree with some people...I actually think this MU is 50/50..
Yeah, this MU is kinda a pain in the ***...but here is my minor input..
Okay so when I fight diddy, I tend to use a lot of nair just for the fact that while diddys chunk them naners we can easily catch it..and even if we dont catch it, SOMETIMES we are in position for jab>grab...

As far as battlefield is concerned I play the platform hogging game..most diddys like uair or throwing the naners upward which is why fox has a reflector ;)..that is just a matter of how each person's playstyle is...

I also like the old air dodge>grab or air dodge>utilt...I guess I would say I like avoiding as much confrontation and close fighting with diddy..ill put more later when I play the matchup more ^_^

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
You guys can argue little nit picky stuff like MU numbers,

this should be more about getting info so BOTH sides know how to play out the game. I feel that people focus on numbers too much now.

If anyone wants to talk about something other than numbers I'll be glad to help in this MU. I've gotten a feel for this one thanks to Biglou, GDX, P-1, and Elev8.

XxAlphaxXGhaxCrew

Smash Apprentice
You guys can argue little nit picky stuff like MU numbers,

this should be more about getting info so BOTH sides know how to play out the game. I feel that people focus on numbers too much now.

If anyone wants to talk about something other than numbers I'll be glad to help in this MU. I've gotten a feel for this one thanks to Biglou, GDX, P-1, and Elev8.
Yeah I hear what you are saying...I dont have much exp in this MU but I got people like gnes, dime, bvr and even a little sigma prac XD...but definitely would like some advice on this MU plz

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Wow I have a lot to write about. What specifically do you want to know? I'll keep dropping random useful info. though.

Protip: Don't be afraid of Fliphop. Diddy is committed to the forward movement. You can stop it with Fair or Nair (well those are your best options against it). Fair is the best option though because it outranges (surprisingly) the kick of fliphop. Nair can stuff it though if they decide to delay the kick. Also you can OoS Usmash the kick, this is spacing dependent, learn it, at one spacing you all you have to do is Shield then Usmash, at other spacings you have to turn around Shield then Usmash.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I should've been privy to this discussion a while ago. My training partner is a Ridiculous Diddy main (thrillagorilla), and I've had enough practice in the MU to have Diddy leaking out my ears.

If the Diddy knows his stuff, this matchup will demand a LOT from the Fox player.

Obviously, the bananas are the big thing in this matchup, if you have the time and patience, learn how to use the bananas for yourself. Fox may not have a functional glide toss, but he has plenty of other options with banana usage, like JC tossing. Like any aspect of the Fox game however, you will more than likely need to be creative with banana use, as the Diddy will be well-versed in bananas. Additionally in this matchup, if Fox can stay on-top of Diddy and in his face, he will be far less able to whip a banana out in the first place, and minimizes that aspect of the MU.

Overall, Fox will best be served by taking the usual mindgame-and-tricks based approach with Diddy Kong, and stepping it up a notch or five. The best thing Fox can do in this matchup is to confuse the other player, by any and all means available. Learn whatever technical tricks you need, practice whatever oddity can be helpful; keep the game mind-bogglingly erratic and unpredictable, yet completely in control at all times. Fox is well-equipped to take this approach in the game with his unprecedented mobility, but it is still, in my opinion, one of the trickiest aspects of SSBB to master.

This MU is not 50:50, not by a longshot. Diddy has way too many things going for him, and Fox has only a tiny handful of tools to undermine Diddy's best points with, and they're only marginally effective at best. Fox is not helpless in the MU, but the things this MU demands of Fox will wear down even a great player very quickly. There are many other characters with many stronger options than Fox, who can undermine many of Diddy's advantages more easily.

My call is 60:40 in Diddy's favor, but that may just be me and my practice partner. He knows the Diddy/Fox MU very well on the Diddy side, and I'm still working on it on mine.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Little cool thing that started giving me more success is when you don't want to use the nana back at diddy, place it right behind you. Either forcing diddy to pull another banana so you can follow and punish or he has to fight you without a banana. The closer to the edge the banana is behind you, the more stage control you have. Well because you don't have to worry about banana.

Actually I just watched this video of Yui vs. Tige and was pretty entertaining. I'm going to try to implement some of Yui's tatics. For example, apparently you can PS a banana and it goes at the right angle that you can Jump and Z-catch it.

Next time me and Lou play I'm gonna experiment with bananas. This probably going be my most played MU here now so I might as well study into it as much as I can.

Here is the Yui vid and his channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/yuigwand#p/a/u/1/BFoJsmVNTzQ <- that's the 3rd match I haven't watched it yet.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
Actually I just watched this video of Yui vs. Tige and was pretty entertaining. I'm going to try to implement some of Yui's tatics. For example, apparently you can PS a banana and it goes at the right angle that you can Jump and Z-catch it.
match I haven't watched it yet.
Uh... yeah. That's like #1 on the banana tech list over on the Diddy boards; basic, basic stuff.

I watched the video. Some of the stuff Yui does works. But the player I'm up against doesn't let me get away with crap like that, and knows how to screw Fox at every turn. I'm at a very peculiar place here, where I'm not sure there's anybody I can "study" to improve my work on this matchup...

Honestly, if I'm missing something, call it out; this is one matchup I'd really like to improve on. I don't want to constantly get 2-stocked by my practice partner, while he condescendingly insists that "I'm getting better", even if it means I have to learn how to play Diddy to dig up these vulnerabilities.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Yeah you can study a match-up and find things to make it better -___________________-

Just practice things, theorize then put to practice.
Look at the MK MU

Top Bottom