• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Match Up Discussion - Vs. Bowser

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I feel like this match up 55-45 for Mewtwo. What Mewtwo strongly lacks against a large amount of characters is true combos at the higher percents, but with Bowser that is never a problem. But Mewtwo's unfortunate light weight allows Bowser even earlier kills. Both have no problem punishing each other, that's where they're even; But Mewtwo is better with spacing and range, combine this with the fact that Mewtwo has a projectile and Bowser does not, (not counting fire breath as a true projectile) I feel like the MU is slightly more in favor for Mewtwo here.

If only Bowser could finally get a real, decent projectile of his own, then the match up could be square?
Since Mewtwo has to out-play Bowser for twice as long as Bowser would have to out-play Mewtwo, I don't think you can give the advantage to Mewtwo.

It's either dead even or slightly in Bowser's favor, as I see it.

Game 5 of this week's Break Weekly was a Mewtwo vs. Bowser between @!Blue! and TSB Chaos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvPOOGvDaok#t=12m23s

We can see their strengths and weaknesses against each other play out a lot more in practice.
Yeah, I watched this as soon as they posted it. It does suck that people flat-out say they want Blue to lose. That's crap, man.

Blue, we're rooting for you, man.

Last edited:

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Yeah, I don't think Mewtwo wins the match up either. I'm thinking it's possibly 55:45 Bowser. Doesn't seem worse than that, though.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Since Mewtwo has to out-play Bowser for twice as long as Bowser would have to out-play Mewtwo, I don't think you can give the advantage to Mewtwo.

It's either dead even or slightly in Bowser's favor, as I see it.
Well Mewtwo doesn't have to out-play for twice as long in every single match-up- he can use bair strings in a fashion where come time for you to recover you're down too low, nair can drag you down low as well and dont forget his dair spike; with these tools, Mewtwo can sometimes gimp Bowsers mostly horizontal recovery.

To me it would be dead even as long as Mewtwo didnt have an abusable, spammy and yet still strong projectile. You can't even properly shield it sometimes, becuz of it's zig-zaggy arc pattern it always has a chance of shield stabbing, especially on larger characters. And also, if you try to spot dodge it, it might still hit you becuz that same arc pattern, which makes it seem slower than it is, and again this kind of trick works better on the larger characters.

But maybe Bowser's Ftilt does a good job of canceling out Shadowball? That would make this match up more even.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
Fighting Bowser is harder nowadays. SH Cross-up NAir seems to be my best non-special approach, followed up with a GTHOOR (get-the-hell-out-of-range) and repeat.

Its true that Bowser can just shield a SB (or punch a tiny one) but like Browny said, any Mewtwo player that just fires a SB in neutral should have their psychic-master card revoked... SHAD backwards to released FCSB makes Bowser a sad turtle while he is Tilting/Smashing/DAing and if he sheilds that, he can suck my dashgrab.

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Because of the new Bowser up throw nerf, it's going to be a lot harder to get easy kills at 80% for him. So that's good for us, ain't it?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Because of the new Bowser up throw nerf, it's going to be a lot harder to get easy kills at 80% for him. So that's good for us, ain't it?
Bowser can still do the Koo-Pah, and he can kill us earlier out of it. It's just that the % he could do it at is now much more strict than it was before.

Basically instead of having to fear grabs from 0-110%, now we only fear it until about 80%. But then again at 100% Side-B can kill us if Bowser has any rage, so tbh I don't see a big difference in fhe matchup.

We might have a small breathing room in between Koo-Pah and Side-B where we can feel "safe" to shield.

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Bowser can still do the Koo-Pah, and he can kill us earlier out of it. It's just that the % he could do it at is now much more strict than it was before.

Basically instead of having to fear grabs from 0-110%, now we only fear it until about 80%. But then again at 100% Side-B can kill us if Bowser has any rage, so tbh I don't see a big difference in fhe matchup.

We might have a small breathing room in between Koo-Pah and Side-B where we can feel "safe" to shield.
It's a minor difference but it's obviously something.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I thought Bowser won very slightly before, now I think it's just even. Not a huge change, but a grab doesn't automatically kill you now as long as you avoid it during the specific kill percents.

Last edited:
Top Bottom