• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up Discussion 20 - Luigi

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Luigi
Advantage/Disadvantage: -1

A master of close-range combat
Weegee does a good job of attacking through our moves.
How do we keep him at arm's length?

We need the following information:​

-STAGES-
"Best" starters for Oli:
"Worst" starters for Oli:
"Best" counterpicks for Oli:
"Worst" counterpicks for Oli:

Notable "move beats move" situations:

Opponent's primary tools:
How we can deal with opponent's primary tools:

Anything else:
(This section includes gimmicks, minor notes, and anything else that isn't covered)

Don't restrict conversation to just these points.
These are just guidelines to help discussion.
Discuss!

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Denti's old write-up with corrections by Hilt and dabuz
the luigi MU.

keep in mind we have something wigi doesn't have, that's ranged attacks.

what wigi wants is to air juggle you. avoid being near him in the air as much as possible because you'll get hit and wont be able to defend your self. being underneath him and using a Uair works, this is acceptable air battle.

Don't follow up from your down throw, let him nair, then re grab. He nairs because it beats all olimar's follow ups. worse thing that could happen is he'll get away instead of using nair. when he catches on to this, start mind game following up with down throw.

pikmin tossing on the ground beats his fire spam, he's now forced to approach. he'll try many different approaches, such as bair, nair, down B, grab, and dash attack. all of which kills your smashes. when this situation happens stay on the ground and grab and pivot grab a lot. he can't kill your pikmin during a grab, so take advantage of this the most.

When luigi's air approach's start becoming predictable you can tether him. tether has more priority than he does.

down smash is the best smash in this MU. he can out punish and beat your up smash almost every time with his aerials. since luigi is so slippery that even when in his shield being hit by our down smash it causes him to slide back, in other words he can't punish our down smash well.

fire ball beats our F smash, except fire F smash will absorb it. they'll catch you with this and you'll be punished for it.

when luigi is off the stage your options to gimp him are pretty good. when he is charging his side B he wont go anywhere if he hits a pikmin, even when a pikmin is latched onto him. pikmin tossing a lot at wigi off stage is a good idea generally. when luigi uses his tornado to help him recover, you can spike him out of that.. easy kill.

You can grab him out of his tornado, you can also shield it and punish, or just jump in the air and avoid it.

you should probably ban brinstar. no need to fight this sucker at close combat in the air with a small killzone.

I cp FD mostly, if they ban that then SV, BF, or YI. these all are winnable stages

well there is my luigi MU, i didn't miss anything did I? I might have videos up soon of this MU

Not saying you didn't do a good job, haha. It was just lacking. You didn't really talk about anything specific. Not that you didn't seem like you knew what you were talking about, it's just you were like grouping everything into one big assortment of... stuff.

There's a bunch of random things about luigi that you didn't mention that I wouldn't expect you (or many people outside of luigi mains) to know lol. My best friend is a luigi main so I know a lot of random knowledge about the character and the matchup.

Your part about tornado was propaganda. You can't always grab it. You can't always punish it after shielding.

You can only safely spike a luigi from a tornado at the end of the tornado, and a smart luigi is going to recover low with tornado, or at least far enough so that he still has room to jump to the stage and that the tornado doesn't end right where you can spike him. Also, chasing Luigi recklessly offstage will cost you a stock. If a Luigi knows how to tornado well without using his second jump, his recovery becomes much, much better, and extremely difficult to gimp. All of his aerials are rediculously fast (nair on frame three) and beat every single one of our aerials, sans uair. A smart luigi will not recover with tornado anywhere near the general area of the stage and will still have his second jump. Easy kill? Yeah right.

I could go on but there'd be no point unless I were to just do a writeup of my own, because all I'd be listing would be things you left out lol. That isn't really a writeup of the whole matchup. It's a basic list of things that we can do to him.
i saw TWO flaws in your matchup write up denti...you didn't mention how luigi can shorthop moves so we can't get the upair openings AND you forgot to mention how except for with yellow, luigi can beat our upair with well timed and spaced bairs, dairs, and nairs (not kidding about this)

otherwise it was a pretty nice summary IMHO (i never say that about anything from the olimar boards :laugh::chuckle:)
Just something to pick apart and correct. ^_^

Denti

Smash Master
DANG that's an old post. XD I guess I did a pretty alright job though.

Honestly I treat wigi like an awkward Wario (instead of fart he has up B), run and throw pikmin with pivot grabs. If they pressure you to the ledge, plank and take your time. He can't really cover your options to get back on stage to well (as long as you can instant tether to the stage from the ledge).

Also Wigi can nair through our incomplete nair to up smash. don't worry though, you can counter this easily. Shield and jump cancel up smash. Worst case scenario they catch on and jump away, which means you'll get to throw more pikmin at them haha!

Also jab is amazing in the MU. Jab is fast and will hit wigi. Even if wigi SDIs the jab and shields he'll slide away and he won't be able to punish.

I'm not really sure what this MU number is.. I wouldn't be surprised if it was in our favor tho.

As for stages, chose FD and wall them out, if they ban that, then chose whatever stage you're comfortable with. I prefer stages that reward patience on the ledge (like Delfino or Halberd, since you can Uair threw the platform and you can go threw the stage from the ledge) because worst case scenario is they pop you up in the air and you flee to the edge to avoid juggling/combos, you then wait for an opening and repeat the camp.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I love Brinstar in this MU. Luigi has no options.
Is it because of the pocket MK you got chillin? Brinstar is a fantastic stage for Luigi. It makes all the problems Luigi has normally go away. He can actually camp, (granted, if you're camping with Luigi against Olimar, you're doing it wrong.) refresh his moveset and control space with his aerials. Even approaching becomes less of a problem because of how small the stage is.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
If you get jabbed and your % isn't under 50%, you're going to die. Unless up'b is stale, which is very possible in this MU.
If Luigi connects with any part of his jab, doesn't even have to be sweetspotted or anything, it auto up'b.

Turazrok

Smash Master
You can uair the nair if they do it too early ( Don't really know how to describe it, but like after a usmash and you read the nair as they come down, just uair)

Dnyce

Smash Master
Is it because of the pocket MK you got chillin?
I low% 2-stocked yoshq in a MM here (on brinstar) at brainshock iirc

If you get jabbed and your % isn't under 50%, you're going to die. Unless up'b is stale, which is very possible in this MU.
If Luigi connects with any part of his jab, doesn't even have to be sweetspotted or anything, it auto up'b.
All of this is completely false.
Iirc it's 36%.
As well as this.
you can whistle the up-b after you are jabbed
This is partially false.
Well then, Luigi is ****ed.
This is what I've been saying for years.
HOLY **** ON A **** STICK!

Good to know... lol
ALMOST 2 YEARS AGO!!!

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8575296&postcount=923

I ****ing hate all of you - this is why I stop helping you dumb***es.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Posts in a social thread are easier to overlook, Fino.

Tsubame

Smash Cadet
Well, keep in mind that you can whistle out of our jab>^B combo

BUT also keep in mind that weegee can Nair right trough pikmin throw.

from experience i'd say luigi has an advantage, but that would mostly be a competitive one.
And to be honest, there not that many left (if there ever were many x3)

So if you play against a competitive one, watch out. otherwise just look out for the Nair and whistle out of the jab to ^b cause olimars kind of easy to hit with it.

I know i'm not much help but the oli's ive played weren't that pro so =P

Luigisama

Smash Champion
ok finally I put some info on this.
Olimar can get hit by a upb 100% of the time and for visual proof for Dnyce.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199907bo
scroll down and read through the charts. In short according to the info Olimar's name on the up b chart is purple which means hit boxes 1,2, and 3 of Luigi's Jab 1 punch will link into up b most of the time.

LIke Tsubame said nair can really help Luigi getting through Olimar's moves.

Gimping is a really good thing to do in this mu for Luigi, but Olimar is a like tank that doesn't move since he can out camp Luigi by throwing pikman and spamming grab so it isn't that easy.
we have a fthrow cg on olimar till 15% lol.
Other than that Luigi should just be patient, bait olimar, and watch out for purple pikman.

Dnyce

Smash Master
ok finally I put some info on this.
Olimar can get hit by a upb 100% of the time and for visual proof for Dnyce.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199907bo
scroll down and read through the charts. In short according to the info Olimar's name on the up b chart is purple which means hit boxes 1,2, and 3 of Luigi's Jab 1 punch will link into up b most of the time.

LIke Tsubame said nair can really help Luigi getting through Olimar's moves.

Gimping is a really good thing to do in this mu for Luigi, but Olimar is a like tank that doesn't move since he can out camp Luigi by throwing pikman and spamming grab so it isn't that easy.
we have a fthrow cg on olimar till 15% lol.
Other than that Luigi should just be patient, bait olimar, and watch out for purple pikman.
2008... where all the game mechanics of brawl were understood and abused. k
probably why you think olimar spamming grab lets him out-camp luigi (try thowing some fireballs out if olimar is grabbing ;o ).
If I remember right Brinstar is a bad stage for Olimar. If oilmar wants to cp luigi it should be Castle siege.
You remembered wrong, sorry :awesome:

What is so good about CS? I imagine delfino would be better.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
i always thought jab->upb didnt work on olimar. i must be mistaken, according to frame data... lol

Top Bottom