• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up #2 Zelda

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Zelda

Bio:

Princess Zelda perennially has a charming nature, and despite her age, possesses great wisdom. Her nature is that of a just, compassionate, graceful, and self-sacrificing person. Zelda's most prominent display of compassion and selflessness was when she saved the life of Midna, the Princess of the Twilight Realm, who had been nearly killed by the false King of the Twilight, Zant. Zelda's wisdom is her most valuable attribute. As a matriarch, it is imperative that she make the wisest decision concerning the fate of Hyrule; in Twilight Princess when Zant threatened her life and the lives of all of her subjects, she wisely surrendered to him. Above all, Zelda is known to be a forgiving person even towards those who have harmed her before, as seen in Spirit Tracks, where she asks Anjean to take care of Byrne even though he was the one who stole her body.

Princess Zelda is one of the three most important characters of The Legend of Zelda series, which is also why her name appears in the title of every game. Princess Zelda first appeared in the original The Legend of Zelda, and has since been featured in every subsequent game, with the exception of Link's Awakening. Each Princess is chosen by destiny to be the keeper of the Triforce of Wisdom in their era, which is the main reason why they play such an integral role in the legends of Hyrule.

Throughout the history of Hyrule, there have been several descendants bearing the name Princess Zelda. It has so far become unclear as to which princess was the first to bear the name, although many suspect it to be the Princess Zelda of Skyward Sword since it takes place before Ocarina of Time and is thus first in the timeline.[17]
Previous Ratio:
40:60

Info:
*Coming Soon*

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I personally believe this matchup is even, or ever-so-slightly in Zelda's favor. I have played many a good Link in my day including Tempest, and Xavier.

Whoever gets the lead in this matchup early on has the advantage. Approaching is a pain for Zelda so it would be better if she could lay back and just focus on some careful evasion of Link's projectiles as well as the occasional reflection and favorable Din's trade. If Link gets the lead he should camp carefully because Zelda does have good air speed as well as a reflector (even though it's awful). Zelda's horrible lack of approaches should be abused here so that Link can keep the lead.

Once up-close, if either of them ever gets there, Zelda outshines Link. Despite Link's long sword Zelda has faster moves as well as some that are comparable in range. She can also combo him pretty well at low percents. Link should work on keeping Zelda away and hitting her back out if it gets up-close.

Zelda will typically kill Link at earlier percents than he will kill her. Link's Downair is crazy strong but Zelda won't get hit by it often, and being above Zelda is a terrible idea in general. Zelda can also gimp Link fairly well, although it won't happen too often Zelda's Dsmash will send Link off the stage at a terrible angle and give her the opportunity to gimp him.

What make Link's camping less effective against Zelda than say Falco's and thusly makes this match much closer to even is that Link's camping takes time. Zelda can and will use Din's to make favorable trades for herself because of how slow Link is in getting his projectile out. Also all of Link's projectiles disappear when hit by Din's but the Din's hitbox still works fine after, this can allow her to neutralize his camping while still hitting him occasionally.

In general Link won't want to be in the air, that is a dangerous place with Zelda around and she has good air speed as well as crazy powerful kill moves to boot.

Link should be focusing on careful camping and keeping Zelda away from him in order to keep this matchup even.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Zelda will typically kill Link at earlier percents than he will kill her.
In general Link won't want to be in the air
I Disagree. Link can whiplash Zelda's Dsmash and DI out of many of her attacks. Zelda wins at close range but she must approach and Link has many KO moves and set ups for KOs. Zelda needs to sweet spot powerful attacks like Fsmash and Lightning kicks to KO/not be DIed, Link has good hits with most hitbubbles on every attack.

Link avoids a lot of lag by attacking from the air, he just doesn't want to be above Zelda. Her Usmash, Uair and to a lesser extent Utilt have huge attacks. SHing away while spamming lets Link Zair and jab immediately after landing if Zelda's too close. Link has good jab cancel options. Any bombs thrown up/down or dropped cannot be reflected. Link can use bombs to sort of platform camp because Zelda's tall and will be hit.

If a hit bubble on any of Link's air attacks is out and overlaps Din's Fire's attack area, it will attack through. It's hard to time Fair/Zair/Bair or space Uair for this but Nair and Dair's long lasting attacks work great. Link can wind gimp Zelda if she's careless with Din's Fire.

Link's tether grab is risky but longer than many attacks and Uthrow KOs at around 160%+.

Zelda does have great options at close range and attacks that are almost as long as Link's sword. Great grab and throw options, big sweeping attack areas, Nyru's Love, Dtilt combos, and an extremely hard to DI-long lasting Usmash:

Her OoS beats Links too.

Intercepting:
Any character can gimp Link so that's always a factor. Zelda's Dsmash is fast with little lag but Link will be okay if he's ready to DI down and mash Z to whiplash the edge.

Link's clawshot lets him edgehog Farrow's wind, Zelda falls harmlessly down at a very steep angle afterward. She will try to appear on the edge or ground. There's some trick Zelda can do with UpB edge warping but I don't know how it works. Link can Dair if you predict Zelda will land on him or shield>counter. Din's fire makes Zelda free fall, throwing a boomerang can gimp or force an early action.

Link will want to play defense and hit, combo and run. Zelda has the advantage in close combat, both characters rely on similar spacing.

Avoid small stages, pick big ones. PS1, Rainbow Cruse, Picto, FD, are good.

Small to medium stages 45/55 Zelda, Big stages (not Castle siege) 55/45 Link, other stages 50/50.
Overall 5/5 even MU.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I play as Zelda a good bit, and honestly, I think Link's recovery is "better" than Zelda's. Zelda's recovery has a good enough range, but it's so telegraphed. It feels dangerous to me, I suppose. Maybe she won't get gimped as often, but I feel like it's hard to safely make it back without taking a huge chunk of damage. Link at least has some options at mixing it up; when I get gimped as Link (except against MK who really can shut out Link offstage) I feel like it's my own fault and I could have done better; as Zelda sometimes I just feel like it's inevitable that I'll get punished for recovering.

Dsmash can be fairly reliably whiplashed. I've done it plenty of times and had it done against me a few times as well. FSmash will be DI'ed for like 3 or 4 damage from pretty much any good player unless perfectly placed, although Link has trouble reliably punishing it.

Link's Dair is dangerous against Zelda. Usmash will beat it. Uair beats it too, but it's hard to time, and I wouldn't risk going for a dair-uair battle between these two as either character (although I'd give the edge to Zelda here, but if you miss is it worth a Link dair while up in the air?).

I think it's even. It really saddens me that all the Zelda characters suck so much (Toon Link doesn't count; he's like the b*****d child of the Zelda series, haha). Curse you Sakurai!

Ryos4

Smash Lord
To add on to zelda's crappy recovery. I've heard from a fairly reliable source that Zelda's recovery is pretty terrible when dealing with semi permeable stages like delphino, halberd, ect. PS1 especially hard to sweet spot the ledge. Zelda can go right past it if you dont space it correctly and you most likely fall to your doom.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Good Zelda's aren't going to be using Farore's wind a lot because it is bad. With semi-decent DI Zelda can recover from almost anywhere on any stage without using it because she has decent air speed and is floaty.

If she does use Farore's you can be getting your early dair kill if you predict it right (which isn't hard).

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I've seen a few Zelda's i would consider pretty good using Dins Fire while recovering. Which supports the idea that they dont really need it to recover from Links attacks. Course i dont think any good Zelda would do it against Link and his gale boomerang. That just seems ********. It would be just asking to be pushed away.

WeretigerX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PentSage
Zelda has deceiving range on a couple of her attacks (dsmash and neutral B are the biggest ones). Her range is pretty much the same as Link just because most of her ground attacks are hand/magic based. When we get into Shiek, you'll see that now Shiek has the range advantage. But I digress.

Moving on, while Zelda has good killing options, they're not strong enough to outright kill a good DI Link at say 100% damage. The biggest thing Link has to watch out for is her Dsmash which sends Link at a low trajectory and we all know Link is a very fast faller. So DI up when you see that Dsmash coming.

Another thing is that Zelda is practically useless when she's above you (On stage). Her dair won't hit for any kind of real damage unless you're in the air and she sweet spots it. Pick stages like Battlefield and shark the hell out of her.

Projectiles are primarily blocked if said Zelda is using neutral B a lot, so Zair is a good option or bomb drop and Nair/Fair pick up the bomb and attack from the Nair/Fair (I hope everyone knows what I mean by that haha). Quick bow (Whatever we call that) works too.

Be careful how you use the more laggy moves that Link has. Though Zelda won't be killing you at low damage, she can still put the hurt on fairly early so good canceling moves like a fast falling Bair on stage work. Zelda is a floaty character and can easily avoid a lot of attacks. She is very punishable on the other hand.

Link is also far better off stage with plenty of options.

Overall, I'd say it's a 50/50 matchup. Zelda, for the most part, has the advantage on the ground. Link can shark her very easily though and can gimp Zelda very easily off stage.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
well, when talking about camping, Link get's the upper hand, because he can lure a nayru's love to get an opening or he can use zair to break it and throw another projectile (say bomb or AC).

when we encounter some upsmashes, the best thing to do it's to bomb her from above (of course after baiting it, if not then is up to luck to have a bomb previously taken out) if not, the we'll fall into that powerful move that I guess it gives the most problems

about killing skills, I say Link wins with more moves and the fact that we don't need to sweet spot them like zelda, but she can get advantage from our recovery and land a well timed Dair (with tether or up B we suck at recovery)

I leave it by now, I'm gonna contact the best zelda main from my country to get more feedback about the MU but that will be the next week because he's at the national smash bros tournament of my country (I couldn't get to it and I'm cursing my fate right now ._.)

with that I say strongly that the MU is 50-50 or at the worst 45-55

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Ill play Legan and ask him to use Link Tuesday
If I remember.

Would it be wrong of me if I said I think Link wins this Match-up?

You'd be right.
Treat her like a faster lighter Ganondorf with less options.
DI her side smash and whiplash D smash and she's left killing with U smash or lightning kicks.

Between 40-60 and 45-55 imo so far.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
Would it be wrong of me if I said I think Link wins this Match-up?
ok, that feels odd, maybe 'cause it'd strange to have a MU with some advantage in Link's favor

that could be true but I find that Link is more gimpable than zelda, so that why I can't see Link with an advantage over zelda.

anyway it can be disscused and again, I'm gonna talk about it with my friend so I'll give some info tomorrow (today ends the national tournament so I'll be able to talk with him)

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
You'd be right.
Treat her like a faster lighter Ganondorf with less options.
DI her side smash and whiplash D smash and she's left killing with U smash or lightning kicks.

Between 40-60 and 45-55 imo so far.
This in ways sums up why I think he wins the MU.

I'll more in depth tomorrow.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Any Zelda worth his/her salt is going to be able to react more efficiently to you DI-ing out of her Fsmash than you are. Once you DI out IF you manage to, she is likely to hit you with another move before you have time to land or block.

Sure Fsmash might not be her best kill move in this match-up, but it usually isn't in most match-ups since it is one of Zelda's key spacing tools that she will be using for any percents, not saving for the kill.

Even without Fsmash she will get her kills from Dsmash, UpSmash, Uptilt, or any of her air attacks which all have insane kill power sans Nair.

Zelda is certainly nothing like a lighter Ganandorf. I have experience playing and talking to Vermanubis (the best Ganon who happens to be a part of my region) and I am sure he would agree that Fuujin's claim is ridiculous and completely false. The fact that you play Zelda and actually think this is ludicrous.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Dunno, whenever I play against a Zelda it does in a way feel like Ganon vs Link, except Zelda can recover a lot better and has ways to punish Link a bit more effectively than Ganon can. She has a reflector which while people say it's bad it still has usage.

Still I really think Link can camp/keep her out pretty well I mean he isn't that limited or weak in those areas that he can't.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Link can keep Zelda out decently, no where near as good as a Falco, Wolf, ROB, etc. though. Link has a problem with his projectiles where they come out fairly slow and can be destroyed by Din's (every single one of them). So if Zelda is careful enough she can counter-camp him for a time. I'm not saying that Zelda can counter-camp Link the entire match, but keeping Zelda out when she can destroy your projectile and still deal damage with Din's, and reflect them if you aren't careful isn't easy. And once she gets in she has the advantage.

Link's job is really to keep Zelda away, Zelda wants to weave her way in where she can have the advantage. Zelda has both quicker and stronger close range options than Link. In general she will also be killing him before he can kill her.

It's Links careful camping that will keep this matchup close to even.

In tournament and otherwise Link has never given my Zelda too much of a problem, I think where Link can get this matchup in his favor is if he takes Zelda to non-neutrals that she doesn't like. I think stages like pokemon stadium, Pictochat, Delfino, although likely bad for Link... are probably worse for Zelda. Neutrals really tip this in Zelda's favor though imo. Except lylat, they both probably hate that stage...

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
That's what I mean by the, she does better than Ganon does.

She has ways to work about it a lot better than Ganon can, also din's is effective to stopping them, but it takes a lot longer for her to use that than it is for Link to pull any of his projectiles in succession. Link's mobility is bad, but the fact Zelda also has the issue makes his life a lot easier in terms of keeping her out.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Any Zelda worth his/her salt is going to be able to react more efficiently to you DI-ing out of her Fsmash than you are. Once you DI out IF you manage to, she is likely to hit you with another move before you have time to land or block.

Sure Fsmash might not be her best kill move in this match-up, but it usually isn't in most match-ups since it is one of Zelda's key spacing tools that she will be using for any percents, not saving for the kill.

Even without Fsmash she will get her kills from Dsmash, UpSmash, Uptilt, or any of her air attacks which all have insane kill power sans Nair.

Zelda is certainly nothing like a lighter Ganandorf. I have experience playing and talking to Vermanubis (the best Ganon who happens to be a part of my region) and I am sure he would agree that Fuujin's claim is ridiculous and completely false. The fact that you play Zelda and actually think this is ludicrous.
Thanks for the mention, man. xD

But yeah, couldn't help but throw my two cents in. If you play the Zelda MU as Link like you would against Ganon, you're going to be relying entirely on boomerangs, ZAirs and doing nothing Utilt OoS. Zelda and Ganon are worlds apart.

For reference, here's a few matches of Ganon vs. Link. Both Links play the MU pretty much exactly as it's supposed to be played. Contrast them to how you think the Link/Zelda MU should be played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8-l5NY3gbc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-mlIkAUp6c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKZHNR_bJ44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDR6dGxU73o

First one's versus X, the last three are versus Kirin. In all of them though, you can see that Link can actually go decently aggro with his projectiles and beats just about everything Ganon does close range with Utilt or BAir. As opposed to Zelda, who I'd imagine you'd have to a little more conservative with projectiles, and challenging her close range would not be a good idea.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Whomever said that semi-permeable stages are good for link, nailed that right on the head; however, Zelda does have a small sharking (although risky) game and it is fairly safe.

IMO, this MU is either even or slightly in Zelda's favor. Having irl exp against Tempest and Kirin as well, I would recommend stages without plats such as BF just because it is a bigger plus to Zelda than it is for Link. Otherwise, it is really whatever you are comfortable on because most stages either hurt Zelda or are neutral to Zelda.

For the love of all that is Link, avoid Dtilt like the plague. Not only does this move string for big damage, but it also will cause bad DI for Dsmash since more than likely you'll be trying to DI out of our Dtilt. Because of that, and not knowing when the Dsmash will come, you could meet an early end; however, Dsmash isn't the only Dtilt finisher. I was merely throwing out a hypothetical situation.

Link can keep Zelda out really well, but any Zelda that is used to high-levels of play know that they're going to get camped in one way or another so you need to have a good mixup game and not have a predictable pattern or else Zelda will get in and rack big damage.

Hai Verm!!!!!

Rizen

Smash Legend
Wifi Zelda's kind of like Ganon becasue lag & worse shielding. Zelda/Ganon are both harder on wifi for the same reasons. I've never played a good Zelda in an offline tourney.
For the love of all that is Link, avoid Dtilt like the plague. Not only does this move string for big damage, but it also will cause bad DI for Dsmash since more than likely you'll be trying to DI out of our Dtilt. Because of that, and not knowing when the Dsmash will come, you could meet an early end; however, Dsmash isn't the only Dtilt finisher. I was merely throwing out a hypothetical situation.
Link has Zair, any side escape Link uses SDI for in the air the Link player can hold shield and mash 'C' (set to smash) away. This lets Link Zair ASAP because when holding shield in the air and attacking Zair always shoots the direction Link's facing. This can trigger whiplash too, not as reliably.
Link has a problem with his projectiles where they come out fairly slow and can be destroyed by Din's (every single one of them). So if Zelda is careful enough she can counter-camp him for a time. I'm not saying that Zelda can counter-camp Link the entire match, but keeping Zelda out when she can destroy your projectile and still deal damage with Din's, and reflect them if you aren't careful isn't easy. And once she gets in she has the advantage.
Din's can destroy the boomerang that deals damage but not it's wind phase. It's also slow with terrible priority. Both characters camp better with figurative "momentum" but Link can turn the tide. Din's gives me the most trouble when used to long range camp or take advantage of Link's bad mobility when he's in a bad position like recovering.
Mid-range, where Link can hit with SH arrows and all 3 projectiles, Link out camps and close range projectiles are more about spacing.
Link has a great anti-projectile game, he can attack through reflected boomerang wind and sometime get the lead by drawing a bomb, SH camping means many reflected projectiles will not hit Link, and his Hylian shield starts as soon as his action ends which stops reflected arrow at certain distances. His standard attacks out prioritize most non-piercing range attacks. Reflectors can be compensated for at mid range. Link's spamming is slow but by using all 3 projectiles Link can out-spam plankers.

I agree with the stage comments and still say this MU's even.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Thanks for the mention, man. xD

But yeah, couldn't help but throw my two cents in. If you play the Zelda MU as Link like you would against Ganon, you're going to be relying entirely on boomerangs, ZAirs and doing nothing Utilt OoS. Zelda and Ganon are worlds apart.

For reference, here's a few matches of Ganon vs. Link. Both Links play the MU pretty much exactly as it's supposed to be played. Contrast them to how you think the Link/Zelda MU should be played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8-l5NY3gbc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-mlIkAUp6c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKZHNR_bJ44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDR6dGxU73o

First one's versus X, the last three are versus Kirin. In all of them though, you can see that Link can actually go decently aggro with his projectiles and beats just about everything Ganon does close range with Utilt or BAir. As opposed to Zelda, who I'd imagine you'd have to a little more conservative with projectiles, and challenging her close range would not be a good idea.
The characters are worlds apart but the basics of what Link needs to do, don't change too drastically.

Link can go aggressive on Ganon more than Zelda, and she has other counter measures to Link's camp game, however her slow movement and lack of approaches still hurt her even if Link's camp game isn't full proof.

She does better of what people have outlined, but I still think if Link plays keep away she has issues, mostly why I think it's in his favor slightly. Just avoiding playing into her pros, her great defensive game, and preying on her weaknesses, her approach and counter camp game.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Her counter-camp game isn't bad though. Certainly if you are camping as Link you will hit Zelda more than she will hit you, but Din's does far more damage than any of Link's projectiles. If Zelda keeps moving and uses Din's the right way (Aiming it to cancel Link's projectiles and hit him in the same blast) she will be dealing almost as much damage over that time frame a well as creating opening for her to get in and finish him.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
her great defensive game
If hers is great then Olimars, Marths, ROBs and Snakes must be godly.

Where are you guys getting that Nayru's is effective in this match up?
Reflecting the boomerang sends you farther away from Link, just what he wants
Arrows would have to be somewhat charged to even make it back to Link,
Bombs would have to be used very close to Zelda for her to reflect them back at him and to top all of this off Nayru's has 30 frames of cool down after each use.
Using Nayru's is going to do a lot more hurt for Zelda than it helps her.
Link has way too many long ranged options to hit Zelda with within that 30 frame period.

And what is this "counter camping" Zelda can do?
Jump and send out Din's fire downward while I get hit but boomerangs, z-air and bombs?
Yeah I think you're all forgetting that unlike Zelda, characters with good/decent projectiles actually have time to shield after they send something out.
Trust me you'll very rarely get Din's fire out on Link, and if you do it only happens the aforementioned way, jumping, aiming it towards the ground, getting hit by something and hoping the Link isn't paying enough attention not to shield.

If the Link is camping so slowly that he allows Din's to destroy his projectiles, hes REALLY REALLY bad at it.

In general she will also be killing him before he can kill her.
False, Link with whiplash makes killing him very hard for Zelda.
She's left using up smash or lightning kicks if the Link knows how to DI.
IIRC Link has like the second best vertical DI so U smash needs to be fresh to kill him around 130ish with it.

Stage wise bombs are incredibly annoying on BF because Link can throw them at the platforms and Zelda is tall enough to get hit by them. :c
YI makes recovering slightly better with Link for bomb jumping, though supposed he could be spiked out of it, the only time Legan did this to me I was too surprised to punish it.
FD for obvious reasons is annoying to fight Link at.
Zelda doesn't really have any good legal CPs to fight Link at that she outclasses him.

I was able to do pretty well at Green Greens once because it hampers some of his camping but killing him there is really hard for Zelda since you pretty much have to up smash.

Imo 45-55 Links favor.

Everyone in Stl decided not to meet up this week because we just went to Siis4 but I'll try to play him this Tuesday if this isn't finished.
Maybe record some matches, they probably aren't going to be pretty though, his Link is a beast. :(

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I could have sworn utilt is a better choice for a kill move then usmash. Its more likely to be fresh then Usmash, since most zelda's i've played spam it. It seems to be a pretty good damage builder at low percents. I've even seen some people get hit by it 3 times in a row from 0%.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I

False, Link with whiplash makes killing him very hard for Zelda.
She's left using up smash or lightning kicks if the Link knows how to DI.
IIRC Link has like the second best vertical DI so U smash needs to be fresh to kill him around 130ish with it.
Uhh, no.

Up air will kill Link incredibly early late 80s and beyond on most stages.
A LK will kill him around 100 as long as we are not sending him the wrong way with it.
A fresh Upsmash will kill around 130.
A fresh Uptilt will kill him around 120 and can be set up with a dtilt.
Fsmash will kill him around 130.
Dsmash will kill Link around 100 near the edge (which is where Zelda should be using it in this matchup for gimps and because of Links whiplash thing.)
Ftilt could also be useful, if the Link is DIing everything too well it might be worth throwing out because it's angles are so unpredicatble.

All that and the fact that Zelda has a powerful spike and can still gimp him like any other character give her the advantage when it comes to pure kill power.

Rizen

Smash Legend
A lot of info
I agree with all this.

Link can live longer.
Link is heavy with great momentum canceling, I've survived Fox's Usmash on FD at 135%, if a good Link's not gimped or intercepted he will easily survive past 180% vs most characters. Even 220%+ isn't that uncommon. Zelda is light and Link has good power on several moves, most of which should be fresh from Zair/projectile spamming. Dair is absurdly powerful but other moves get the job done too.
Zelda has more power than Link except for his Dair, but in weight and surviving Link is much better and his attacks aren't very much weaker than Zelda's.

Link's Achilles's heel is he's easy to CG/juggle has bad OoS/grab and close combat game and is easy to intercept or gimp if he doesn't defend when recovering. These all work against Link together.

Shielding and countering/grabbing are big parts of Brawls that hurt Link so 5/5 even MU.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Uhh, no.

Up air will kill Link incredibly early late 80s and beyond on most stages.
A LK will kill him around 100 as long as we are not sending him the wrong way with it.
A fresh Upsmash will kill around 130.
A fresh Uptilt will kill him around 120 and can be set up with a dtilt.
Fsmash will kill him around 130.
Dsmash will kill Link around 100 near the edge (which is where Zelda should be using it in this matchup for gimps and because of Links whiplash thing.)
Ftilt could also be useful, if the Link is DIing everything too well it might be worth throwing out because it's angles are so unpredicatble.

All that and the fact that Zelda has a powerful spike and can still gimp him like any other character give her the advantage when it comes to pure kill power.
I stopped reading after you talked about up air killing.
I don't know what kind of opponent you're playing but they either suck or you must have some secret to landing up air consistently.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I don't know what kind of opponent you're playing but they either suck or you must have some secret to landing up air consistently.
Yah, it's called: "Being a skilled player."

You should start working on that, people would take you more seriously.

In all honesty it's not too hard. You jump at them with the intention to make a trade for Zelda's upair. They either dodge or they don't. You want to wait to the last possible second to make a decision as well as constantly have predictions in your head about where/if they will try to air-dodge and beat them to the punch.

Edit: spelling issues.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Hes right. All it takes is a good read and Uair can kill pretty early. A lot of good players pull off crazy stuff by getting a good read on their opponent why would Zelda be any different. I'm pretty sure Uair out ranges and out prioritizes anything Link can do when hes above Zelda as long as it is timed and spaced correctly.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
You killed me with it, but then again I didn't know Zelda could ledge cancel her UpB like you did. :/

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Yah, it's called: "Being a skilled player."

You should start working on that, people would take you more seriously.

You killed me with it, but then again I didn't know Zelda could ledge cancel her UpB like you did. :/
That's typically the only way I land it, from ledge cancels.
Sometimes when the opponent forgets to air dodge.
Ive managed it on Legans Link like once, and that was because of the platform on smashville.
Link falls like a rock, u air isn't viable on him.
It has its uses against floaty characters but not on Link.

Rizen

Smash Legend
lol^

Link's spacing style doesn't set up Uairs for Zelda often.

The discussion's about over, I say we close it with a loose 5/5; some say Zelda's favor, some say Link's, it's close either way.

Legan

Smash Lord
Ive been checking in this thread every now & then, I dont really have much say on the mu because the only zelda ive played is fuu so i dont have a definitive understanding of the mu. I agreed with alot of what fuus been saying but i didnt realize that the godathand dude was riot, so ill say you definately shouldnt be shrugging off what hes saying fuu. Dude has taken games off great players with zelda and ive seen a few of his matches. He knows his ****, you have a good zelda but you're definately not playing zelda to her full potential. Only way this mu could be really understood would be for me & riot to play it out because we play our characters at the highest lvl.

Oh and about the uair thing, theres noway you can rule that out as not being viable against any character, that doesnt make sense.

It's called reading airdodges.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Alright, I'm fine with a 50:50 since most of my assumptions are theory as is. I do have in practice stuff I have done with Link but I'm gonna trust what the higher level players are saying in this case.

Top Bottom