• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up # 1 R.O.B.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
R.O.B.

Bio:
R.O.B. was originally advertised as a toy in order to get toy stores in order to alleviate retail fears following the video game crash of 1983. R.O.B. was compatible with two games, Gyromite and Stack-Up, and although the player didn't necessarily need R.O.B. to play the games, it still remained a key figure in Nintendo's attempt to keep the video games industry alive.

Although R.O.B.'s time has passed, his legacy lives on, as he was named the fifth in GameSpy's top twenty five smartest moves in gaming history. On the downside, ScrewAttack called R.O.B. the fifth-worst game peripheral ever, citing that it only moved up and down and side to side, was noisy and slow, was nearly impossible to put together by yourself, and specifically noted the lack of games you could play with R.O.B..

R.O.B. appears as a playable character in Mario Kart DS. A treasure in the Pikmin 2 game was "Remembered Old Buddy", being R.O.B.'s head and having the initials R-O-B. In Kirby's Dreamland 3, there is a stage where Kirby must complete puzzles in various rooms to collect pieces of R.O.B. for Professor Hector, R.O.B.'s creator in Gyromite, so that R.O.B. can be rebuilt. Robotic-cranes designed in R.O.B.'s image can be seen in the F-Zero GX course "Port Town Aero Dive", which can also be seen in the Brawl stage of the same name. Also, R.O.B.'s legacy is also paid homage to in the Star Fox series where the Star Fox team's robotic helper, ROB 64, was named after R.O.B.
Previous Ratio: 70:30 R.O.B.

Info:
*Soon to come*

Rizen

Smash Legend
ROB will force Link to approach but we have lots of handy tools to do it. SH>airdodge to maybe Zair mindgames avoids gyros and isn't bad VS lasers. There's no solid way around lasers, PSing ground approach or SH air dodges works best for me. ROB can only have 1 gyro onscreen at a time. When 'he' first shoots it you can't catch it; later it becomes a catchable item he likes to glide toss (is that right?). Fortunately Link's melee attacks and projectiles will knock it away. Unfortunately laser's pierce and must be shielded/avoided (Hylian shield works).

ROB has wicked range on his tilts and aerials attacks. A ROB main told me he's going to tilt/throw and keep pushing Link off stage with Fair and Nair- The best thing to do is DI/SDI away to avoid being caught in the chain.
Off stage ROB makes quick work of Link, his Nair has a huge attack circle and out-lasts air dodges. Recover high and hit ROB with a projectile or FF airdodge way down and tether the edge. Don't let him hit you off stage and stay away from edges.

More later... 60/40 ROB

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
ROB sucks for us. He wins long range with his laser and top and just outcamps us in general. We can compete with him from midrange, but spacing is difficult against ROB since he can hit us with his ftilt, dtilt, and grab, which all have great range. ROB's grabs are powerful and put us in awful spots. ROB is at a monstrous advantage offstage. I think ROB is very well equipped to gimp Link; only a handful of characters are better at gimping Link than ROB. He can just float there and wait for us.

I have a lot of trouble with getting grabbed; ROB's grab range is huge and his grabs absolutely murder Link, especially the back throw, which is very hard to DI because it's so fast. Zair is not safe on shield unless you're doing a retreating zair.

35-65 ROB's favor at best. This is a brutal MU for Link.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I usually play Leisha's ROB but I've never got the chance to save my matches, I don't really remember how our matches go. I struggle a bit with the matchup but I don't find it too brutal nor do I fear playing against ROB. 40/60 in Link's disadvantage.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I do find Rob pretty dangerous in some aspects. But if you're worried about him out camping you. All you have to do is grab his Gyro and keep it from disappearing or ROB from grabbing it again. In theory it should work out decently for Link mains who love to do bomb juggling anyway. It may limit Link somewhat but it there are things like DAC with Items, ZAC or w/e its called, items smashing, item zair, and w/e else there is. At the very least you could smash toss it straight up to keep it alive for longer.

If you're lazy like i am. You just be prepared to dodge or shield it.

Rob may beat Link at Long range and close range combat. But Link should be able to dominate midrange combat. With his 3 fairly quick projectiles, Zair, and slightly longer range, vs ROB's speed, Gyro that needs at least a quick charge, and laser that takes like 3 seconds to charge or something i cant remember.

The only thing i really worry about when it comes to ROB is his fast Dsmash that can be annoying more then dangerous. His Usmash that has huge range and kill potential. And his Nair for its long duration and power. His projectiles can be annoying, but some start up to them so it should be easy to see them coming. And since they move so fast its easy to dodge them, much like Pits arrows.

Speaking of Pit. Pit is probably just as dangerous to Link as Rob, if not more. But this thread isn't about Pit so yeah.

I agree with the 40/60 or w/e.

IYM!

Smash Lord
the only real adventage than ROB have is his air movility and his looooong up B, he can juggle us in the air, if we dont know how to break his attack.He can gimp us easily with his Fair, create a wall with the same move and kill us with his not bad strenght. Our Nair is good in this MU, comes fast, have priority and a decent knock back, so this move can beat Dair/Bair/Nair in speed and and Fair in priority, but his Uair is another story.

Our projectile game is better, we have 3 , he have 2, and both arent have a quick recovery ( for example Link can throw a bomb after another, ROB cant throw a spin after another), we can constantly mix our projectiles and dont stop to spaming it, ROB cant do the same, so punish him with projectiles set ups after leave him with out his proyectiles, always will be a good idea

his lasser isnt the biggest thing ever, is good, have a exelent range, it come out fast and do a decent amount of damage, but nothing else, he have to wait for a while to have another (full charged) ready. Oportunity that we can take to aproach him or keep him in a mid range with our Zair an boomerang, having a bomb in hand of course

i am not sure if his ground game is better than link style, but we have range, and priority, aslo a better ground kill power.

ROB kill power

Fresh Fsmash can kill us at 150% in the center of FD, down and up angle can kill us at 140%

Fresh Dsmash is weak, it an kill us in 165% in the center of FD ( as a side note, this move can be SDIable, like pikachu Dsmash, just tilt the stick up, but isnt so easy to avoid as pikachu one.)

Usmash are dangerous it can kill us at 100% at the center of FD, and conected when link was in his top high of his first jump

but, all this was tested without DI and without Momentum cancel, so, Link will can live for a long time in this MU

Link kill power

Fsmash: fresh at 135% at the center of FD
Dsmash : fresh at 138% at center of FD
Utilt (it kill better than Usmash): fresh at 140% at the center of FD

again, all this was tested withou DI and MC, so i dont know the real kills percentajes with those factors.

my conclution, 4/6 in ROB factor.

Why? Because his air game is magnific, and can screw our biggest weakness easily

Rizen

Smash Legend
All ROB needs to do is get Link offstage for a KO. The biggest priority is obviously stay onstage which is limiting. ROB generally controls the entire match because this and he outcamps Link. Unless we're a stock ahead, Link must fight ROB. Controlling the match gives ROB a solid advantage, he doesn't have to worry about major punishment for mistakes either. Link needs to focus and space mid range. ROB's recovery's great but his DI isn't and Link's good at launching upwards. Link has great DI and resists star KOs but bad recovery. KOing ROB of the top is the best method. Good DI is vitally important because ROB's annoying reach and grabs.
Lasers are a mindgame, Link can airdodge>Zair but they can stop Link's actions at any point if charged.

CP Frigate- just kidding. Brinstar, PS1, and FD seem like good CPs.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
that damn robot =/

well his camping is better and link proyectiles aren't fast, just the arrow cancel.
so for long range, just spaming and combining ALL proyectiles, like take a bomb, AC, boomerang, SH throw bomb and AC again is the best spamming option.
close range it's bad, nothing else to say, so the best option is to keep rob at te tip of the sword.
to kill him we need our best vertical moves, that is, utilt and smash, in order to get star KO because trying to kill him from the sides, means bad DI from him, or to extend the match, think that we don't want in order to avoid punishing and a stock loss.

so, rob is a hard MU and requires concentration and good thinking in order to get a safe entry
40/60 for ROB

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
No R.O.B.'s yet. :<

Well I agree with 4:6 but I need to replay this some more before I say anything yet set in stone. Otherwise the info so far seems good.

But yeah we can do a camp war, in some situations we can even out camp R.O.B. but in others he can out camp us, but make sure you avoid the gimps, R.O.B.'s gimp game is really good.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I think we are done for now, since we didn't get to talk about much.

Just to keep things clean we'll talk about next match-up in the original thread instead of this export.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'll mention this thread to t0mmy. I'm sure he can give you a lot of insight to the match-up, plus he's played with Deva among the different Links over the years.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Too bad I haven't got Link experience. If I had I would say something nice.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Strangely, I've posted about this matchup quite a bit. I don't know why...
Honestly, it can be a rough MU for R.O.B. for all the same reasons Toon Link is, but the main difference is when you get Link off the stage it's way more difficult for him to get back.
Not a 70:30 in R.O.B.'s favor... the worst it will be for Link is a 40:60 and at best it'll be more like a 45:55.

Read more here: http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=159851

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
^ at least someone that give us some accurate numbers, anyway it's ok 40-60 'cause we always need to place us in the worst case escenario to be prepared for anything so try to always think at worst

thanks for the help :p

Rizen

Smash Legend
Honestly, it can be a rough MU for R.O.B.
<3

DI's important. I think I've posted already... ...here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11733645&postcount=2

Since Link's medium range spamming, we'll have opportunities for footstool bombing, Zair>attack combos, and arrow locks so look for openings.
Medium stages with platforms are best for Link. PS1 can give Link spamming opportunities from anywhere on stage so it's a good size. ROB's spam is at sharp low diagonal angles and he's easiest to KO off the top, Brinstar should be good for an evasive bomb-happy Link. Norfair, if it was legal. Halberd because Link can bomb sharking and use the platform to camp more than ROB.

Frigate's probably the stage to ban. Small and very large stages favor ROB. RC's a bad choice. Same goes for castle siege. ROB has lots of good CPs vs Link and we have a few with less of an advantage vs him.
----------------
I need Kirin to help me vs Marth, wow.

Top Bottom